Old 2016-06-28, 14:49   Link #61
durrendal

NSFW

Tittilating Chapter 19 of How to Survive a Summoning 101! Chapter
19: Surviving Fates .

Tell me how it was!

Link to read on Wordpress
----------------------------------------------------------
Note: You do not need to register anywhere, even anons can vote and the entire process takes like 4 seconds. So, if you like the series, please consider voting for it. It would help a lot.
Link to Vote

Thank you for your support and love!

Last edited by durrendal; 2016-06-28 at 22:18.
durrendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-04, 23:13   Link #62
durrendal

NSFW

Chapter 20 of How to Survive a Summoning 101! Chapter
20: Surviving The Other .

Tell me how it was!

Note: You do not need to register anywhere, even anons can vote and the entire process takes like 4 seconds. So, if you like the series, please consider voting for it. It would help a lot.
Link to Vote

Old 2016-07-11, 17:09   Link #63
Namorax

Hi durrendal, read your story in one go and it's rather interesting.

However, why the "High Fantasy" tag?
If I had to suggest a high fantasy story to a friend, your story wouldn't be on the list I would give. It is dark fantasy, and while it may mirror some aspects of a high fantasy storyline, but it is definitely NOT "high fantasy". Or at least not in the way I define it.
As far as I am aware, a "high fantasy" has clearly defined "good" and "evil", with the protagonist obviously being on the side of "good". They set out on a journey to get a Macguffin and defeat the "evil". Lord of the Ring is often used as a prime example.
HTSAS' protagonist is very, very gray. He admits that he keeps going because of his hatred, and we have seen that he did some downright evil things to accomplish his goals. Even if he "can't help it" because the god(s) screwed with him using their "gifts", he still did things no "hero" would be able to do. Why tag this as "high fantasy"?

Now about the story:
I think you got as bit too slow, at least for my personal tastes. After the fight with the spiremaster-wyrm, everything went kinda... psychological. The focus is on the MC and his (temporary?/current?) female companion and their fight surrounding their individual psyches. I saw in some of your author-notes that you try to show the psychological side of things, but I liked the way you did that during Act 1 better.
(For those who haven't read: The protagonist was slowly changing the way he told the story, until the climax was reached. After that, he regressed and started to unravel. The unraveling is apparently still ongoing).

And they way the story is going, I can't see a happy end for this companion, or anything that doesn't involve a (literal) dead end.
The theme of his third gift is "sacrifice", considering what he plans to get his hands on next, there is no way he wouldn't have to sacrifice anything. Especially since his gift seems to focus on people he values...

In general, your story is interesting to read because it focuses on a different side, but now that it kinda sits centerstage and everything revolves around "how does a person define him/herself" and "how someone else manipulates the mind of another person" I slowly start wanting to skip ahead. Maybe it is because I have to wait for the next chapter, instead of being able to just continue reading as if I had a book.

------------------
TL;DR:
The story is interesting because it emphasises the way the protagonist perceives the world, and how his mind relays the story to the reader and/or himself.
I liked how subtle it was in Act1, but during Act2 it feels like the story doesn't get anywhere because now it is sitting in the middle of the stage with everything revolving around it. And everyone has to progress through the various "stages" without leaving even a single one out.
Also: "Why High Fantasy?! Who put that there!"

EDIT:
Spoiler for those who don't want ANY spoilers, but I still have a question:

Last edited by Namorax; 2016-07-11 at 17:20.
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-30, 10:35   Link #64
durrendal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namorax View Post
Hi durrendal, read your story in one go and it's rather interesting.

However, why the "High Fantasy" tag?
If I had to suggest a high fantasy story to a friend, your story wouldn't be on the list I would give. It is dark fantasy, and while it may mirror some aspects of a high fantasy storyline, but it is definitely NOT "high fantasy". Or at least not in the way I define it.
As far as I am aware, a "high fantasy" has clearly defined "good" and "evil", with the protagonist obviously being on the side of "good". They set out on a journey to get a Macguffin and defeat the "evil". Lord of the Ring is often used as a prime example.
HTSAS' protagonist is very, very gray. He admits that he keeps going because of his hatred, and we have seen that he did some downright evil things to accomplish his goals. Even if he "can't help it" because the god(s) screwed with him using their "gifts", he still did things no "hero" would be able to do. Why tag this as "high fantasy"?

Now about the story:
I think you got as bit too slow, at least for my personal tastes. After the fight with the spiremaster-wyrm, everything went kinda... psychological. The focus is on the MC and his (temporary?/current?) female companion and their fight surrounding their individual psyches. I saw in some of your author-notes that you try to show the psychological side of things, but I liked the way you did that during Act 1 better.
(For those who haven't read: The protagonist was slowly changing the way he told the story, until the climax was reached. After that, he regressed and started to unravel. The unraveling is apparently still ongoing).

And they way the story is going, I can't see a happy end for this companion, or anything that doesn't involve a (literal) dead end.
The theme of his third gift is "sacrifice", considering what he plans to get his hands on next, there is no way he wouldn't have to sacrifice anything. Especially since his gift seems to focus on people he values...

In general, your story is interesting to read because it focuses on a different side, but now that it kinda sits centerstage and everything revolves around "how does a person define him/herself" and "how someone else manipulates the mind of another person" I slowly start wanting to skip ahead. Maybe it is because I have to wait for the next chapter, instead of being able to just continue reading as if I had a book.

------------------
TL;DR:
The story is interesting because it emphasises the way the protagonist perceives the world, and how his mind relays the story to the reader and/or himself.
I liked how subtle it was in Act1, but during Act2 it feels like the story doesn't get anywhere because now it is sitting in the middle of the stage with everything revolving around it. And everyone has to progress through the various "stages" without leaving even a single one out.
Also: "Why High Fantasy?! Who put that there!"

EDIT:
Spoiler for those who don't want ANY spoilers, but I still have a question:
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I have been a bit bust with collge and stuff.

Well, I tagged it High Fantasy for the same reasons there is a debate about let's say 'A Song of Ice and Fire' or the Malazan Series. Both this series have really gray protagonists but at the same time are considered High Fantasy because of the otlerworld setting and epicness of scale.

The Psychological bit...it is a temporary bit where they both have some time to think about the stuff in the absence of other external agents. As soon as they get out of their current location, they won't have much time to mull over it.xd

Spoiler for Answer to the question!:
Old 2016-07-30, 10:39   Link #65
durrendal

NSFW

Chapter 21 of How to Survive a Summoning 101!

Chapter 21: Surviving Quiet Days .

Tell me how it was!

Link to Vote

Old 2016-07-30, 11:48   Link #66
Namorax

Spoiler:

Apart from that, don't worry about answering late. Do it whenever you have time.
As for he Highfantasy bit: I do kinda think that Malazan is a Highfantasy, just a very complicated one with lots of stuff happening at the same time.
But in the end, everything is about the Fallen/Chained God, and the series ends once the cast "did the thing".
As for GoT... I have no idea what exactly the end or goal is. It is just a lot of politics, intrigues, sex, etc... Since there are dragons and magic in it, you can argue that it is the opposite of "low fantasy" (a world that is 99% like earth, only humans but different geography/countries). GoT also has some vague forshadowing about a "big evil" or something that will prolly come from beyond the wall, but at the moment it is definitely not "high" fantasy IMO.
Old 2016-07-30, 12:44   Link #67
durrendal

Quote:
Spoiler:

Apart from that, don't worry about answering late. Do it whenever you have time.
As for he Highfantasy bit: I do kinda think that Malazan is a Highfantasy, just a very complicated one with lots of stuff happening at the same time.
But in the end, everything is about the Fallen/Chained God, and the series ends once the cast "did the thing".
As for GoT... I have no idea what exactly the end or goal is. It is just a lot of politics, intrigues, sex, etc... Since there are dragons and magic in it, you can argue that it is the opposite of "low fantasy" (a world that is 99% like earth, only humans but different geography/countries). GoT also has some vague forshadowing about a "big evil" or something that will prolly come from beyond the wall, but at the moment it is definitely not "high" fantasy IMO.
[QUOTE=Namorax;5910486]
Spoiler:
Old 2016-07-30, 15:12   Link #68
Namorax

Outsider or not, it is clear that the tree is able to influence Rigel strongly.
One even gets the impression that once the tree is done, Rigel will be no different than a normal sunelf in thrall to the tree. We've only seen one aivern bonding so far, so we can't tell if the... subversion of Rigel's mind is proceeding at a normal pace or not.
Old 2016-07-31, 05:31   Link #69
durrendal

Quote:
Outsider or not, it is clear that the tree is able to influence Rigel strongly.
One even gets the impression that once the tree is done, Rigel will be no different than a normal sunelf in thrall to the tree. We've only seen one aivern bonding so far, so we can't tell if the... subversion of Rigel's mind is proceeding at a normal pace or not.
I can't answer that without spoiling...but prepare to be surprised!
Old 2016-07-31, 10:56   Link #70
durrendal

NSFW

Special Chapter of How to Survive a Summoning 101!

Intermission I: Wrought of Shadows.

Tell me how it was!

Link to Vote

Tags
comedy, dark fantasy, fantasy, high fantasy, romance, tragedy, violence