AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-12, 07:51   Link #1621
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I just started watching this series tonight and wow.

I've only just started the fourth episode and I'm hooked.

Plus Kanate is just too damn cute.

I'll post further views upon later developments.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 06:21   Link #1622
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Just finished watching Sora no Woto and the extra episodes and well, damn.

The show had a lot of highs and lows for me. When we go from the deathly seriousness of episode seven to the slap stick comedy of episode eight I had to check that I had indeed loaded up the correct episode since the flow was in a completely different direction. The ending was stale and well, I would have preferred some form of tragedy to befall the 1121st Platoon. I almost expected Kanata to get shot whilst playing Amazing Grace which whilst I touch on the subject, I will say I didn't find Kanata playing amazing grace and halting the battle that unbelievable.

I mean, we're talking about an age where not only radios are non-existent but most of society's music and instruments have been lost in the flames of war. It's only the well known tunes like Amazing Grace that have truly survived and are passed down from generation to generation.

Then there's the fact that trumpets are seen to be used almost exclusively as communications tools and it appeared most soldiers would understand what each tune meant so hearing a trumpet in the distance was not that uncommon during a battle for both sides. What would be uncommon is what I could only gather as being the most well known song of their world being played at the joining of a battle.

It's a song about redemption and forgiveness. Not war.

However on the whole I must say I loved Sora no Woto. I loved the characters, I loved the artwork style, I loved the Takemikazuchi design (seeing it in action was worth the wait!) but most of all I loved the people and the world it portrayed.

A world where everything as we know it today, mobile phones, television and even radio have become long forgotten relics but people still continue to live on happily and hold onto their beliefs.

It's just one of those shows that makes me sit back and just appreciate the things we have now.

Oh and seeing Noel fire an MG42 from the hip with a smile on her face was just about my favourite scene of the anime.

Now if I only someone would actually release some good figures of the girls. A Kanata in her standard fatigues with helmet and trumpet would be a welcome sight.

Last edited by grylsyjaeger; 2011-01-14 at 06:34.
Old 2011-01-18, 07:12   Link #1623
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post

Now if I only someone would actually release some good figures of the girls. A Kanata in her standard fatigues with helmet and trumpet would be a welcome sight.
There are some figures, but they not breath taking awesome.

HLJ has some small ones, there is one 1/8 flying around. At the moment am trying to find a full set to buy. :/
Old 2011-01-19, 17:15   Link #1624
einhorn303

Imho the best figure is Kanata by Azone. Well, technically it's a doll: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10118082

There was also a figure from Kotobukiya of Kanata, but it was cancelled. Due to a number of reasons, probably: Sora no Woto failing to become more popular, the bad economy at the time, and the Dollar/Yen exchange rate strangling imports.

I have the cheap prize figures from Furyu, and I still like them a lot just because of how much I love the series.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 16:45   Link #1625
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

Finished it, finally. 1080p is simply godlike.
Other than that, an amazing anime, but I would really loved if they used french for the main citizens, the same way they used german for the enemy country.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 17:17   Link #1626
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

The final special (ep 13) is perfect, simply perfect.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 18:09   Link #1627
Raiga
tl;dr

Preordered. ^^

... except RightStuf keeps sending me e-mails saying "we're working on your order." I hope I don't get one every week until July 5th...

But I'm pretty excited.
Old 2011-04-24, 20:24   Link #1628
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
I loved this series as well . Not only were the characters funny and interesting, but the world itself absolutely amazed me. All the little hints about the world coming to an end (the increasing desert, the dead oceans, etc) laid in the background of sweet slice-of-life episodes was a juxtaposition I really liked .

A reviewer somewhere put it perfectly: This show wasn't about how terrible war is, but spent the whole first half showing us what would be lost if war began. And actually made the viewers care as well!
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 07:21   Link #1629
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Preordered. ^^

... except RightStuf keeps sending me e-mails saying "we're working on your order." I hope I don't get one every week until July 5th...

But I'm pretty excited.
What exactly did you pre-order, mate?

Old 2011-05-01, 07:58   Link #1630
einhorn303

Quote:
What exactly did you pre-order, mate?
I imagine he's referring to: http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat...em/91631/4/0/0

(My decision isn't whether to pre-order it, but how many copies to pre-order.)
Old 2011-05-01, 08:38   Link #1631
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
I imagine he's referring to: http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat...em/91631/4/0/0

(My decision isn't whether to pre-order it, but how many copies to pre-order.)
Oh happy day!

Any other mobs offering pre-orders? I can't say I'd used rightstuf before.

Old 2011-05-01, 11:09   Link #1632
einhorn303

Quote:
Oh happy day!

Any other mobs offering pre-orders? I can't say I'd used rightstuf before.
I checked, and it seems currently only Rightstuf is. Which is probably because Rightstuf and Nozomi Int. (the R1 licensor here) are sister companies. It'll show up at all other places (Amazon, etc) later.

I buy nearly all my anime/manga at Rightstuf these days. Because they have the most consistently low prices (as the largest pure anime/manga retailer), and I have the extra 10% discount from their $12 Got Anime membership (pays itself off if you buy more than $120 of anime/manga in a year...and I've bought $2000+ last year). Plus their customer service and packaging is really good.

I don't live in Australia, though, so I can't vouch for their international service.
Old 2011-06-22, 01:08   Link #1633
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Smile

I love this show! I'm on episode 3, but I don't quite understand the setting

The plot appears to be in a timeline around the end of World War 2, but it doesn’t actually occur in a European country as I thought at first. It appears to be an alternate universe of sorts. The City looks European but I was quite surprised when they celebrated a festival that pretty much had Japanese origins.
(from http://sekainomei.wordpress.com/)

So if this is a Alternate universe, would the East have the same Asian landscape looks but with European traits? weird thought

The things that make the most sense would be the following in bold

"The main thing that stood out to me in Sora no Woto is the setting. Even by the end of the last episode, we still don’t get a thorough explanation of the world they live in besides the fact that a great war caused it to become the way it is in the story. The only clues we get are subtleties, like the Fire Maiden’s tale, the fact that organism don’t live in the oceans anymore, and that languages and country names are different (Seize resembles Spain, Helvetia is another name for Switzerland, and the Roman Empire’s language is German). Putting these and other hints about the setting together gives the impression that Sora no Woto perhaps takes place many centuries in the future, after some kind of catastrophic war reduced our once flourishing world into what it is in the series. And even after seeing the whole show, I still have the same question about the setting: does Sora no Woto take place in a fictional world, or does it take place in a hypothetical future of reality? I would have liked to know more of the history of Sora no Woto’s setting, but I also think the ambiguity of how it’s presented is fascinating." (blog quoted from Yumeka of http://animeyume.com)

Lost tech and mixed cultures.

" I continue to find myself enjoying how Sora no Woto mixes the tech from the “lost world” with the much simpler tech of the everyday. It’s a jarring contrast to see all the futuristic goodies popping out of the tank like its holographic combat displays then we see that the current world has to communicate via landline rotary dial phones and bugle calls. The current humans of Sora no Woto’s world know what they’ve lost, but they also know that if man once made it that knowledge maybe someday be reclaimed."by animewriter of http://animewriter.wordpress.com)

good theory of the setting
The Gentle Post-Apocalypse of “Sora no Woto”
http://animediet.net/reviews/anime-r...f-sora-no-woto

-------------------
(my ending thoughts)

All in all it makes me want to explore this place, I really want to learn more about this futuristic world?

but maybe this quote is true after-all?
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Albert Einstein (1947)

He means because of the lethal power of nuclear weapons if anyone survives WW3, they will have been blown back to the stone age by the horrific might of our technology. So he is basically saying that the people involved in WW4 will be caveman, like This is consistent with a theory that has been developing regarding population and technology. It is clear from studies of human development that population growth is the greatest driver of technological progression. If the human population begins to decrease, and especially if a catastrophic event wipes out much of civilization, we will have lost the ability to use the technology we have accumulated to that point. people who knew how to make something might be might out with that knowledge

I think this is where the setting takes place, after a world war 3!

what do you guys think?
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 01:08   Link #1634
ReddyRedWolf

Well here is a spoiler...

Spoiler for The War:
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 09:20   Link #1635
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post

Spoiler for The War:
Spoiler:
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-30, 03:17   Link #1636
Sparvid
*hic*

Spoiler:
Old 2011-06-30, 17:21   Link #1637
Raiga
tl;dr

Much to my pleasant surprise my DVD set arrived earlier than expected today. Came with four beautiful postcards with artwork by Kishida Mel and a nice little booklet full of translated staff commentary, storyboards, character designs, etc.

Looking forward to rewatching the series over the long weekend. ^^
Old 2011-07-02, 12:24   Link #1638
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Much to my pleasant surprise my DVD set arrived earlier than expected today. Came with four beautiful postcards with artwork by Kishida Mel and a nice little booklet full of translated staff commentary, storyboards, character designs, etc.

Looking forward to rewatching the series over the long weekend. ^^
I'm quite jealous of people who've already gotten it...my order was slightly held up by the K-On! BD vol. 2. Though luckily it's on its way now, hopefully it'll be here by Monday.
Old 2011-07-03, 08:26   Link #1639
FireChick

I'm planning to get the DVD set at Otakon...if my dad will let me.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 21:02   Link #1640
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post

Spoiler for The War:
Same continuity as those two? I thought they were just from the same anime project?

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life