AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2017-10-12, 07:36   Link #8221
snarlmane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
If anime-only watchers did not consider the two seasons as a rushed adaptation, then it could mean two things: the anime series had done a good job in adapting what's necessary, OR that the LNs could be further compressed and lose absolutely nothing of its essence.
What if I showed you what Watari himself thinks of his own adaptation?

>Could you guys respect the source material?
http://imgur.com/a/KAxuO
http://imgur.com/a/oVIWb

>I wonder how long they will be my fans.
http://imgur.com/a/WW7rm

>Volume 11 delayed. ANOTHER to go alongside the BDs.
http://imgur.com/a/Drzu8

Keep in mind that the guy isn't contractually allowed to speak up about his series out in the open, which is why he hasn't said a word or talked to any of his fans in two years. He did show his grievances not just with the adaptation, but the anime industry as a whole as well in his other work; Girlish Number.
snarlmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-12, 12:17   Link #8222
hikarushindo

Quote:
If anime-only watchers did not consider the two seasons as a rushed adaptation, then it could mean two things: the anime series had done a good job in adapting what's necessary, OR that the LNs could be further compressed and lose absolutely nothing of its essence.
It's just like Harry Porter. The people who only watched the movies said they were full of holes while book readers said those were all explained properly in the books. But are you sure no anime-only watchers said the second season was rushed? Because I know some would say otherwise. After vol 7, the series got more serious with important details so we can't compare vol to vol. for example, vol 9 alone was around 600 pages while other vols usually were around 300 pages.

But the problem with SS2 is not because it's rushed but the lack of a direction. Heck I would even say that they did not skip enough. If they skipped that chuuni guy's scenes, they might as well skipped some Totsuka's scenes (don't kill me please.) and Hayama's scene too.

SS1 direction is to boost the series sell. Thus it put out the unique of the LNs. Ep1 was a strong induction. And the one with Hachiman's though about nice girls hit viewers like a train. I dare to say most anime-only viewers still remember this scene vividly. SS1 served its purpose really well as an introduction to the series.

But what's the purpose of SS2 after viewers have already tasted those uniqueness and most have already read the LNs? As we have already long passed the introduction point, it's nothing more than just some summaries and spoilers. What message did they try to send to viewers? Facing consequences of your actions? The real pain of losing irreplaceable things? The conflict between one own ideal and reality? Or the desire for genuine things even if they are cold and cruel? It tried to do everything. Thus, it achieved nothing. It failed to capture the struggle Hachiman went through after seeing the results from his past actions in vol 9, which became a turning point to the series. For anime-only viewers, this is really bad because it undoubtedly reduced the impact of following events a whole lots. It's just like how Harry Porter movies never explain why they don't use guns (like seriously, all their spells feel like a waste of time except the invisible one hehe)

For anime-only viewers, what would they remember beside colorful arts and a flood of events? SS2 depicted all important scenes but they didn't have a soul. Thus, it couldn't stand on its two feet and failed miserably.
hikarushindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-12, 19:59   Link #8223
Marcus H.
Close Quarters Cuisine

Quote:
>Could you guys respect the source material?
One cruel truth: thing will never go as planned. The best thing to do is settle for a compromise. The author definitely knew this—HE only knows how to write, and THEY only know how to make his story into an animated adaptation, regardless of how good or accurate it would get.

Quote:
>I wonder how long they will be my fans.
Another cruel truth: an author/creator is only as famous as its biggest hit. Just like how Dan Brown's name is only known for The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, Watari might as well be forgotten after Oregairu ends. But that didn't stop people like Kazuma Kamachi or Hiro Mashima from being the prolific creators that they are. That's one cruel road a creator has to tread on, and I'm pretty sure every single one of them who loves their craft are well aware that their fame is short-lived.

Quote:
Keep in mind that the guy isn't contractually allowed to speak up about his series out in the open, which is why he hasn't said a word or talked to any of his fans in two years. He did show his grievances not just with the adaptation, but the anime industry as a whole as well in his other work; Girlish Number.
Also keep in mind that the overall tone of Girlish Number isn't completely cynical nor is it optimistic that things will change for the better. Quoting my own impressions for Girlish Number's finale:

Quote:
SUCK IT UP! encapsulates the final episode, really. Everyone had a moment to recollect on how much they hate the job through Chitose's monologue, but they instead used it to move forward and make with what they have. They are working on a shitty anime with shitty animation and a shitty story based on a shitty LN. The director is a massive douchebag who drags around everyone with his nonsense, and schedules and budget are stretched thin. However, they have already committed on the project, and they have to persevere, at the very least to give themselves the catharsis they needed.
Quote:
It's just like Harry Porter. The people who only watched the movies said they were full of holes while book readers said those were all explained properly in the books. But are you sure no anime-only watchers said the second season was rushed? Because I know some would say otherwise. After vol 7, the series got more serious with important details so we can't compare vol to vol. for example, vol 9 alone was around 600 pages while other vols usually were around 300 pages.
Of course, Harry Potter with its expanding page coverage. Of course things would get cut off. Everyone knows that a single movie won't be able to cover everything, and Deathly Hallows had to be split just to accommodate the amount of content involved. And yet people kept on complaining.

Quote:
For anime-only viewers, what would they remember beside colorful arts and a flood of events? SS2 depicted all important scenes but they didn't have a soul. Thus, it couldn't stand on its two feet and failed miserably.
That's what people think, that since the anime had left out some details from the light novels meant that the anime series had to feel "incomplete". Well, that reeks of adaptation bias. Please, be a little bit more considerate about the limitations of an anime adaptation. I'm sure everyone is aware that the anime will feel incomplete in some parts, and that's how it is with adaptations.

Summer 2017: Isekai Shokudou (4/1c), New Game S2 (1/12), Vatican Kiseki Chousa-kan (4/12) and Owarimonogatari S2 (Aug12).
Continuing from Spring 2017: Sakura Quest (16/25).
2016 Catch-up: Amanchu! (1/12), Owarimonogatari (7/12) and Koyomimonogatari (1/12).
Autumn 2017: Kekkai Sensen and Beyond (6/12), Just Because! (6/12) and 3-Gatsu no Lion S2 (5/22).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 37. Completed: 318. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 00:38   Link #8224
Sixth
True Momo v2.0

I don't know, man. I think even if the anime has adapted the source material perfectly, I am still dislike the direction it went because it made everything so gloomy and unfun to read or watch because the whole silly "Genuine" that they were seeking. Would have prefer that the story focusing on them solving people's problems instead of being a drama queen. Also, they should have be the new School Council member because Hikigaya and Yukino are deserved it.

People said that Hachiman is a "Batman" but the Batman that I watched/knew said something more awesome line than "Genuine", which is "Because sometimes…the truth isn't good enough. Sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded."
Sixth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 02:18   Link #8225
Marcus H.
Close Quarters Cuisine

The "end of fun and games" is a staple in school club-themed anime.

It happened with K-ON.
It happened with Sket Dance.
It happened with Haganai.
And it already happened with Oregairu, a club that didn't even have a strong foundation in the first place.

Summer 2017: Isekai Shokudou (4/1c), New Game S2 (1/12), Vatican Kiseki Chousa-kan (4/12) and Owarimonogatari S2 (Aug12).
Continuing from Spring 2017: Sakura Quest (16/25).
2016 Catch-up: Amanchu! (1/12), Owarimonogatari (7/12) and Koyomimonogatari (1/12).
Autumn 2017: Kekkai Sensen and Beyond (6/12), Just Because! (6/12) and 3-Gatsu no Lion S2 (5/22).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 37. Completed: 318. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 09:35   Link #8226
snarlmane

Quote:
One cruel truth: thing will never go as planned. The best thing to do is settle for a compromise. The author definitely knew this—HE only knows how to write, and THEY only know how to make his story into an animated adaptation, regardless of how good or accurate it would get.

Another cruel truth: an author/creator is only as famous as its biggest hit. Just like how Dan Brown's name is only known for The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, Watari might as well be forgotten after Oregairu ends. But that didn't stop people like Kazuma Kamachi or Hiro Mashima from being the prolific creators that they are. That's one cruel road a creator has to tread on, and I'm pretty sure every single one of them who loves their craft are well aware that their fame is short-lived.
I'm just saying that the anime didn't do a proper job explaining anything really, which is why so many people were lost during season 2. It's also the reason why a lot of people to this very day still have no idea what is going on in this series. Characters are saying and doing things, yet no one can explain what it means or why they're saying certain things.
snarlmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 10:08   Link #8227
lijenstina
Nihilism for Beginners

If there is one flaw with the source material > adaptation is the lack of establishing more how things are after the Volume 9 has ended. So we can see where are they, their relationships after the events in that volume ended. Something similar to volume 5 where while it progressed the plot, the ending conclusion was understandable since the whole volume lead to it. To see them interact and grasp more what is still wrong between them. A shorter volume that can act as a bit of a breather before the next wave of drama. Heck, it could be even a .5 volume adapted.

(Even though the 1 st season has done the volume 5 in 1 episode and removed a big chunk of it it still worked).

It didn't help that we jumped between volumes inside an episode.

But what happened it happened.

As the focus of the second part is more internal to the characters it can be confusing to the viewer. Show, don't tell - take a bit of time for the status quo to sink in. I don't think that the volume 10 was successful in doing so.

“Talking nonsense is the sole privilege mankind possesses over the other organisms. It's by talking nonsense that one gets to the truth! I talk nonsense, therefore I'm human”

Last edited by lijenstina; 2017-10-13 at 22:34.
lijenstina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-24, 06:33   Link #8228
kuudererules

Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! 2018 Results

Female Ranking
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

1. Misaka Mikoto (Toaru Series)
2. Main (Honzuki no Gekokujou)
3. Asuna (SAO)
6. Yukinon (Oregairu)
7. Yuigahama Yui (Oregairu)
8. Rem (Re:Zero)
9. Irohasu (Oregairu)

Male Ranking
Images

1) Kirito (SAO)
2) Hikigaya Hachiman (Oregairu)
3) Kamijou Touma (Toaru Series)
4) Shiba Tatsuya
5) Accelerator (Toaru Series)
6) Sora (No Game No Life)
7) Natsuki Subaru (Re:Zero)
8) Fernando (Ascendance of a Bookworm)
9) Satou Kazuma (Konosuba)
10) Ayanokouji Kiyotaka (Classroom of Elite)

Oregairu didn't make it top 10 LN, maybe because it won 3 times already
kuudererules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-24, 08:21   Link #8229
dragon1412

the book was taking too long to come out, it's near 1 year for the latest one to come out isn't it, no wonder the ranking drop
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-08, 10:46   Link #8230
kuudererules

new picture of yukinoshita by ponkan8-sama

Images

Also Oregairu C93 Tapestry

Images
kuudererules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club, comedy, dramedy, gagaga bunko, harem, hinedere, kuuderes, philosophy, romance, school life, slice of life, social psychology