Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-09-10, 22:35   Link #4921
Mach56gs
Do-Gooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Soooo... what's the current reason for champions to team up and beat the crud out of each other in Summoner's Rift now?

Eh?
Um....

Entropy? Thermodynamic miracle?

Just please Riot better confirm Katarina as Casseopeia's sister....

On that vein, what do people think about the Casseo buffs?
Old 2014-09-10, 22:55   Link #4922
IceHism

Quote:
Soooo... what's the current reason for champions to team up and beat the crud out of each other in Summoner's Rift now?

Eh?
They're making it so the gameplay has zero relation to the lore.

New Cass is better than old cass just cause of the E scripting changes that lets her CD be .5 from cast. Strong late game passive but she has pretty bad utility and crap early game, 1000ap is easy to get.
Kind of wish there was an indicator that tells you which target can be E'ed.

Oh, I should mention, she has extremely bad mana issues.

Last edited by IceHism; 2014-09-11 at 00:00.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-10, 23:35   Link #4923
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Cassiopeia's new passive is extremely great at late game. It makes up for the re-adjustments to her ratios most definitely.
Old 2014-09-10, 23:40   Link #4924
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:

Eh?
It's about Lore of the world not being tied to gameplay, because in an infinitely repeating endless PVP drive game, it's hard for to have any lore ramifications without blocking out potential story telling like it was for years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
And personally I don't think there is anything wrong with gameplay and lore not being directly connected to each other especially for a PVP game, I mean look at MTG and how it's lore and gameplay have been disconnected and how it allowed them to do lore.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-11, 00:12   Link #4925
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

If it means they finally actually do something positive with the lore, then I'm for this change.

Shurima: Descent Into The Tomb video
Old 2014-09-11, 13:20   Link #4926
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
As a writer of LoL fanfiction, I too dislike the direction that Riot has chosen to take with the retcon removing the Institute of Justice. I've played DotA for over 10 years but always found it difficult to write a good fic for it because its heroes' lore is mostly disjointed without a unifying theme to keep them together. The lore for LoL champions, on the other hand, used to be bound together because their backstories all led to the common decision to join the League of Legends.

Riot's reasoning is that the IoW heavily restricted the storylines that could occur because all conflict would simply be funneled to the IoW and the all-powerful summoners would prevent fights from occurring. Riot claims that they want the lore to be character-driven rather than event-driven, and that the IoW detracts from that goal.

In my view, Riot's argument is incorrect. Human history is rife with records of the rise and fall of supreme institutions, and some of the richest examples of literature make use of that exact same theme. Greek theatre is full of heroes determined to challenge the establishment and/or the Greek gods. Shakespeare's Julius Caesar involves an intricate plot to take down a dictator. The ending of George Orwell's Animal Farm made the observation that regardless of the system being used, the common thread in governance is that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. In Asian literature, the Sengoku period in Japan and the Three Kingdoms era in China feature some of the most-well known characters in Asian history, and both started out because the emperors of both countries had grown weak through decades of decadence.

When it comes to real life, we have recently started to see how fragile the framework of international law actually is since it relies on each state mutually agreeing to subject itself to the authority of international institutions. When a state is too powerful for the institution to impose any serious ramifications on it, the result will be the wars that we see today in various parts of the world.

Imagine all the possibilities that Riot could have gone with the IoW, taking inspirations from any of the above:
  • Greek theatre: A faction wanting the summoners' powers for themselves, going off on a killing spree to eliminate the summoners one by one.
  • Animal Farm: The leader of the summoners becomes overly power-hungry and tries to make himself dictator over Valoran.
  • Three Kingdoms: The source of the summoners' powers was cut off, causing the IoW to be greatly weakened. On the surface, the states continue to subject themselves to the IoW's decisions, but each of them are plotting away backstage to further their own interests. Noxus, Piltover, and Demacia somewhat loosely fit the Wei, Shu, and Wu states respectively.
Great post. I enjoy reading some of the LoL fanfic fans have made (like the one at Newgrounds of a Summoner getting his own harem of female champions. )

Here's the old lore of Lol if anyone is interested.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YouTube
YouTube
Old 2014-09-11, 15:45   Link #4927
Kreceir

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Great post. I enjoy reading some of the LoL fanfic fans have made (like the one at Newgrounds of a Summoner getting his own harem of female champions. )
Oh my~~ Could you Pm me that
Old 2014-09-11, 21:58   Link #4928
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

^Sure. Just so you now, the fanfic comes in both a SFW and NSFW.
Old 2014-09-11, 22:45   Link #4929
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Spoiler for Promotion series results:
Old 2014-09-12, 00:59   Link #4930
Kreceir

I love Nam (Vackiry) Genderswapped Champions.
My Personal Favourite is Xerath and Renek and Rengar

Images
All of them Together

Images
Rengar

Images
Nasus

Images
Renekton

Images
Xerath

Images
Skarner

Images
Vel'Koz
Old 2014-09-12, 01:27   Link #4931
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

The Rengar looks cool.

That darn new Ascension mode has ensured I will never, ever have positive feelings about Xerath again....if you ever need something to determine who understands objective control and who doesn't, you need look no further than this mode....
Old 2014-09-12, 10:47   Link #4932
killer3000ad

YouTube
Road to Worlds documentary.
Old 2014-09-12, 12:40   Link #4933
Kreceir

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
YouTube
Road to Worlds documentary.
Man, these always makes me tear up.
Specially with GoGoing, I know the feeling all to well,
when he said he felt like someone dear to him just tried to abandoned him.
Old 2014-09-12, 15:14   Link #4934
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Eh, I don't feel it heh. I don't understand why people ...this many would go watch people play a video game. Yes yes foot ball and all that, but they are actual sports.
Old 2014-09-12, 15:24   Link #4935
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Same reason they go to watch any other sport; because they enjoy watching it. It's pretty damn simple.
Old 2014-09-12, 15:53   Link #4936
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I believe another main factor is nationality. You have this highly competitive game, and you want your country to do great. So you want to support the pro players who represent your country in big, very big championships to encourage them. Sure you'll hear dozens, and dozens of bad comments, but let's say NA won this season's championship. How many of those bad comments would turn into praising comments for NA? League is also a game many people can get into. But few can master to the level of pro players. So watching them make plays, mistakes, strategies you never thought of. Is always exciting in the long run.

I also like to watch pro players play. Because I can somewhat understand them, I liked Piglet this episode because I can understand his lifestyle. I also like the motivation from other players as well, it's how long they have practiced, and their dedication for their career that makes things very exciting. Another big factor is that esports is a rising community, that's been rising for years on end now. It's still that fresh, growing thing that brings people in. I've played games for so long, but I still am awe-inspired when someone like Faker makes a big play. Also, people dedicate so much time into video games. 90% of the time, parents would look down at them. Wonder why they dedicate so much time into a game, so seeing video games reach this height is an impressive feat.

All in all, asking why people watch others play a video game. Is asking how MOBA became such a popular genre. Because when I saw that plethora of DOTA games on Warcraft 3 custom maps long ago. I always wondered why this custom map was so popular.

Last edited by Hooves; 2014-09-12 at 16:10.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 20:32   Link #4937
Eragon
Still Alive

Lulu top gonna carry me to Gold <3
Old 2014-09-12, 20:35   Link #4938
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreceir View Post
@Frivolity

What kind of LoL Fanfiction do you do?
Is it Naughty ones

Or the ones with an [OC] Summoner/Champion

I remember reading a few LoL fanfiction/novel(?)
dunno where though/
It's still clean so far, but there'll probably be lemon in future chapters No OC so far. I've got one in mind for a future chapter, but the story will always be centred around the LoL champions.

I've got plans for another story inspired by Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but it's on the backburner at this point. Some of the character adaptations I have in mind are: Cao Cao - General Du Couteau, Sima Yi - Swain, Sun Ce / Sun Quan - J4, Liu Bei - Ezreal or Jayce, Lu Bu & Diao Chan - Trynd & Ashe

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

Last edited by frivolity; 2014-09-12 at 20:49.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-13, 11:59   Link #4939
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

It's a form of entertainment. Sport is 'perceived' as being almighty. But it's still a form of entertainment. As are movies, TV shows, anime and whatever.

So what on earth is wrong with people playing games being shown as entertainment? It's a more than viable option for those with less money. And yes, I do watch League of Legends and Heartstone events and streams over anything else 99 times out of 100. They're free to watch, aren't under the control of scumbags like Rupert Murdoch and are far more interesting than the mediocrity conjured up in more mainstream media lately. Although I wouldn't turn down watching QI.
Old 2014-09-13, 12:15   Link #4940
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
It's a form of entertainment. Sport is 'perceived' as being almighty. But it's still a form of entertainment. As are movies, TV shows, anime and whatever.

So what on earth is wrong with people playing games being shown as entertainment? It's a more than viable option for those with less money. And yes, I do watch League of Legends and Heartstone events and streams over anything else 99 times out of 100. They're free to watch, aren't under the control of scumbags like Rupert Murdoch and are far more interesting than the mediocrity conjured up in more mainstream media lately. Although I wouldn't turn down watching QI.
There's nothing really wrong. It's just people who don't want things to change.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
league of legends, lol