AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-01, 02:46   Link #61
Debeki

New PV.

Debeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 03:44   Link #62
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
^ I hope that turns out to be the equivalent of Asahina Mikuru's Adventure
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 05:22   Link #63
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I never watched any of the Onegai series, so I can't compare it with the two PVs. Nonethelss, whilst PV2 gave me Anohana vibes, this PV (PV3) is giving me Toradora vibes. Hence, I predict a series that's going to be a Anohana/Toradora mix, hopefully combining the best elements of the two series. I have faith in Negai as a director when it comes to "real world" settings (aka slice of life), much like I like had faith in Kenichi Kasai who I think is most comparable (Kasai did a lot of the traditional noitamina shows such as Honey and Clover S1 and the three Nodame Cantabile seasons).

Probably my highest anticipated series of the season, alongside P A Works "Another". Cmon J C Staff... show me some of your past spark for once...
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 06:02   Link #64
TJR

I dunno. They've both been successful with dramas, but their styles and sensibilities don't seem similar at all. In particular, Nagai has established a distinct identity to his work (facial animation style, framing that's reused across various shows and OP/ED sequences, heavy-handed approach to melodrama) ever since directing Toradora.

At any rate, the PV borrows strongly from Railgun too.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 06:08   Link #65
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

JC Staff coloring is just.

Its night and days compared to Ano Hana, oh well..
Old 2012-01-02, 06:09   Link #66
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
I dunno. They've both been successful with dramas, but their styles and sensibilities don't seem similar at all. In particular, Nagai has established a distinct identity to his work (facial animation style, framing that's reused across various shows and OP/ED sequences, heavy-handed approach to melodrama) ever since directing Toradora.
Oh no, I'm not comparing styles... I'm just comparing the fact they have been both successful in the genre like you mentioned.

Quote:
At any rate, the PV borrows strongly from Railgun too.
I assume you mean like the Railgun OVA, which used a lot of "film grain"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
JC Staff coloring is just.

Its night and days compared to Ano Hana, oh well..
I find the coloring satisfactory though it is not great. The character designs though... yeh. I'll take Anohana or Toradora character designs any day.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 06:12   Link #67
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
I assume you mean like the Railgun OVA, which used a lot of "film grain"?
Lol I was just about to mention that.

Also in regards to JC Staff coloring, I actually find it very appealing if used properly. It gives a more faded vibe, and its unique to be honest. The only reason it somehow looks generic is because they produce way too much shows, half of which are terrible.
Old 2012-01-02, 10:32   Link #68
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

I watched the onegai series and liked them. I have good hopes for this series.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 15:05   Link #69
strawberrypop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debeki View Post
New PV.

Hmm...I never had a chance to watched the Onegai series, but this PV is getting my interest on this show now. The character designs and coloring seems slightly better here than the first two PVs, imo.

I'll take a few episodes at this show to see how it does. It looks liked a good average show to watch.
strawberrypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 21:01   Link #70
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Don't like the chara designs much, especially that one guy is just plain horrible:

The 70s called and want heir hair style back, and their glasses, too. Ewww. *shudders*
Then still dark grey hair on top of that. Double ewww.

Overall colouring is poorly done, too

Never liked the "Onegai" series, and it looks like this one will do nothing to change that.
Old 2012-01-03, 23:57   Link #71
LC
Shocking Pink

If this is anything like ToraDora or AnoHana (both in my Top 5), then I'm sold.
Old 2012-01-04, 04:10   Link #72
Malkuth
Banned

AnoHana/ToraDora vibes? Well, both revolving around love polygons, indeed, but that can be said for any rom-com, right? I doubt though that a character would turn out to be a ghost. In addition, not being in NoitaminA will give it 40-90 minutes more to develop characters, and save it from all its other lame restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Don't like the chara designs much, especially that one guy is just plain horrible:

The 70s called and want heir hair style back, and their glasses, too. Ewww. *shudders*
MC's design is definitely non-standard, whether this is good or bad though is another story altogether. There are shows that had good enough story or dialogues that made me ignore how ugly they looked. Unfortunately, J.C. Staff is not at the top of its game these last few years, so I don't expect too much.

Quote:
Overall colouring is poorly done, too
If you are judging from the last promo, it is rather misleading because it is supposed to be the scenes that they were randomly (I guess) filming, so colouring is off in addition to a mild blur filter.

Quote:
Never liked the "Onegai" series, and it looks like this one will do nothing to change that.
Eh? One of the few anime that dealt with parental abandonment, incest, depression, teenage pregnancy, ephebophilia without including one 18+ scene and targeted to teenagers in my eyes is a feat in itself.
Old 2012-01-04, 04:17   Link #73
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post

If you are judging from the last promo, it is rather misleading because it is supposed to be the scenes that they were randomly (I guess) filming, so colouring is off in addition to a mild blur filter.
From all PV that they releasing, its certainly your typical JC Staff coloring that they using. Its looked kinda blurry and "yellow-ish" which for me ugly like sins. Seriously that make things looked old, reminded me how disappointed I am seeing Shana S3 still looked like something that out from 2003.
Old 2012-01-04, 04:27   Link #74
Malkuth
Banned

Switch "old" with "retro" and I will agree SHAFT used a similar approach in Natsu no Arashi to a great effect... at least in the visual appeal department

And it's way better than some recent attrocities, like P4's sunburned skin, or Maken-ki's and other H's skin irritation, in the place of highlights
Old 2012-01-04, 04:35   Link #75
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Switch "old" with "retro" and I will agree SHAFT used a similar approach in Natsu no Arashi to a great effect... at least in the visual appeal department

And it's way better than some recent atrocities, like P4's sunburned skin, or Maken-ki's and other H's skin irritation, in the place of highlights
Really? Natsu no Arashi coloring looked fairly sharp.

P4's sunburned effect is indeed looked ugly n useless, but that's rather facial but not coloring problem in general.
Old 2012-01-04, 04:42   Link #76
Malkuth
Banned

For Natsu no Arashi I had in mind the WWII scenes, and the first couple of episodes, generally it might have been less yellowish and/or blurred... but don't take my word for it, it's been quite some time since I watched it.
Old 2012-01-04, 05:38   Link #77
Arya

I liked Onegai Twins, but not Onegai teacher. And watching the PV it give me the Onegai teacher vibes.
I'm guessing why ...

Now I understand why they give the MC a so non-standard, just to be nice, design.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.

Last edited by Arya; 2012-01-04 at 06:13. Reason: put pics on the same line
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 05:56   Link #78
Malkuth
Banned

Let complete this comparison...

Rennon <- Ichigo (hair colour, troll, uniform, pettanko... probably more)

Mio <- Kaede (hair colour, doujiko, oppai, manner of dressing)

Kanna <- Koishi@Teacher or Karen@Twins... that's the only not fitting very well, maybe

EDIT: Ichigo, Koishi, and Kaede had the most interesting stories, let's hope the 2012 adaption will live up to its predecessor

EDIT2: Changed host for the images, now they should work fine for everyone.

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-01-04 at 06:53.
Old 2012-01-04, 06:23   Link #79
Arya

Don't know if it's only me, but I can't see the images Malkuth.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 10:47   Link #80
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:

Based upon the PV, I'm guessing he's the camera man -- the guy taking all the candid shots of the girls (including that one up-skirt) and standing outside the group watching everything, so the weirdo look is appropriate.

As for the coloring ... well, JC Staff is no KyoAni or PA Works, but I don't think that's a bad thing in itself. Kimi to Boku is even rougher than these previews (and some of the characters downright ugly -- sorry Shun) but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable for me.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romantic comedy, shounen