AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Pumpkin Scissors

Notices

Old 2006-10-12, 04:32   Link #181
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Already liking this show for the car the crew uses to get around

To me, the appeal of this show is 30% Alice [should make Gonzo girl of 2006 now], 25% "water-bug", 20% headbiting and the remainder includes tank busting badass and other miscellaneous ingredients.

I have car envy now. The Schwimmwagen as compared to more modern makes is several scales of badass and hardcore ahead.

Reading up on the Schwimmwagen, I get that this "water-bug" is a reliably tough ATV with the added advantage of turning into a boatwagon when needed. Thus far it has been their mode of transport, rescue vehical and can take a bullet when required.

Also, because it's so small it makes for a cozy sight when 4 officers and a dog have to squeeze in for a ride. I suppose it makes for character when we have a giant, a young girl, the easygoing bloke, an intellectual and a semi-fierce canine touring the rough country in a tiny bucket. Makes a sight so easy to underestimate until you realise how dangerous this crew really is.
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 07:16   Link #182
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Mmm, since I have a lot of free time, I decided to post the quotes that Hosslow guy on episode 2 said about the 901-ATT soldiers.... This is before they start shooting with the tank:

Quote:
"If you see foot soldiers carrying around a blue steel lantern, don't think they are your allies. But you must not turn them into enemies either. The lantern is a reactor that will light up the bearer's soul."

And this one is when Oland turned on his lantern....

Quote:
"They will come forth along with the blue will o' wisps. Even if their eyes were scorched, even if their arms are writhing, they will never stop marching ahead. Guided by the will o' wisp, they will force their way and shoot at a point-blank distance. The footsteps that thrown away life. The trigger that brings death. They're the fairy-tale on the battlefield. The 901 Anti-Tank Trooper, the soldiers that disregard their own lives......Gespenst Jager."

Why did I post it? Dunno. I just thought it was fun and it was an FYI after all If you read the second one, it quite creepy no?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig

Last edited by Cyz; 2006-10-12 at 11:28.
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 10:32   Link #183
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Thanks,cheesy but intresting.The first two ep were a good start for an adventure show.Met's hope it develops in something intresting.
Old 2006-10-12, 14:21   Link #184
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
hehe thos quotes sound like poems its creepy yes but also very meaningful...reminds me of the poems done for higurashi no naku koro ni ^_^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 17:26   Link #185
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Episode 2 was very funny and fun to watch, Im still trying to see what direction the series will take will it start to have a heavier more serious tone later.

However someone needs to take that damn sword away from Alice damn does she have temper. A nice surprise though i had no idea she was a noble. I think this fact may have something to do with the storyline due to the fact that its presented to us early on and in the situation that was the focus of episode 2. Also wondering if we will get to see more displaced troops from the ATT im sure they will have a run in with one who is not so friendly like the nice big guy they have.

Funny as hell how everyone is scared to death of (damn forgot his name someone help whats the big guys name?) oh well the two women had me in tears

Quote:
Why did I post it? Dunno. I just thought it was fun and it was an FYI after all If you read the second one, it quite creepy no?
CYZ its ok we all have those moments and if you didnt do someone would have anyway. Your right though the second one is really freaky i dont think i want to face these guys in fight the blue light coming from the latern is creepy enough
Old 2006-10-12, 19:45   Link #186
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
CYZ its ok we all have those moments and if you didnt do someone would have anyway. Your right though the second one is really freaky i dont think i want to face these guys in fight the blue light coming from the latern is creepy enough
Oh okay then People in tank gets scared when they see blue light coming straight at them. It's like that's they're cue that they're gonna die
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Old 2006-10-13, 00:35   Link #187
[ ]

Send a message via ICQ to [ ] Send a message via AIM to [ ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesir View Post
I'm actually not so into war anime, but PS isn't such a standard, in my opinion. I don't really know, why I like this series. Maybe, because of it's interesting main character. He reminds me in Sagara from FMP, for some weird reason. Maybe because of his look or something... Anyway, I simply like him. I wonder, how this series will go on. Can't await, to watch the next episode.
...But! There's still one thing bugging me. He's called "Gespenst Jäger" (Ghost Hunter in english). This title doesn't make much sense. "Gespenster Jäger" would have been the correct form of it. Anyway... just a little unimportant thingy.

Aesir
Actually Gespent Jäger the way they intend to use translates to
"Ghostly Hunter" which makes perfect sense. He is one who hunts
like a ghost, a willow-wisp, leading them with the blue light.'
Not one who hunts ghosts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYZ
Oh okay then People in tank gets scared when they see blue light coming straight at them. It's like that's they're cue that they're gonna die
I think without the rumors and ghost stories about his division his psychological effect in battle would be less profound. I'd like to see though him facing a tank crew that simply stays calm and starts driving instead of stopping or slowing down. On another note however the bad sight distance really would play a role as well and the nightblue light would be hard to accurately read in the fog, distance wise. It can also mislead by turning it off, or distracting. Who knows how many crews hes sent in a river or off a cliff that way, hehe.

Last edited by [ ]; 2006-10-13 at 00:43. Reason: ^^;; there finally. And no dbl posts
[ ] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 09:28   Link #188
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
"They will come forth along with the blue will o' wisps. Even if their eyes were scorched, even if their arms are writhing, they will never stop marching ahead. Guided by the will o' wisp, they will force their way and shoot at a point-blank distance. The footsteps that thrown away life. The trigger that brings death. They're the fairy-tale on the battlefield. The 901 Anti-Tank Trooper, the soldiers that disregard their own lives......Gespenst Jager."
So basically the point is: no matter the amount of damage/pain each Gespenst Jager suffers, as long as he can move a single tendon/muscle/nerve in his body he will continue to try to reach as close as possible to the tank. They have 'thrown away life' in the sense that for the purpose of reaching point blank distance, they disregard their safety/survival (which makes me wonder how Oland survived so far ). Pretty cool, thanks for doing that Cyz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mGZ
I wish Orland at least display some skill. such as lighting reflex to evade incoming shell, for example... stand there and pray for the tank to miss is not a good way to fight vs tank in the long run
ACTUALLY, I'm sure thats what he did, in the cloud of dust. Remember, having the blue light on doesnt make him invincible; it only makes him oblivious to pain/damage. I mean, you cant take all four limbs off a person and still expect him to reach the tank; or you can't crush a person to pulp and expect him to fire at the tank; even if he doesnt feel anything.

So he would have to duck the direct shots (remember too that the Viscount was a very accurate shot, so even just standing there and praying not to hit wouldnt be a good idea). Of course the shrapnel/impact of the shell would still get to him (which it did, seeing the damage he got)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauldron26
I think the LT is a very refreshing female character... she takes shit from no one and she is quite lovely... very lovely... very, very lovely... lol
Woah there, woah there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
Also, I didn't like the way Alice convinced the maids to turn agaisnt that noble - why should they believe she is a noble so easily?
Thats true.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-10-13 at 10:23.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 09:46   Link #189
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ ] View Post
So, that would be "gespenstischer Jäger". Didn't fit into the OP-song? Too difficult to pronounce?
Anyway, I watched the first episode yesterday and Gespenst Jäger is just fine with me.
Although I had to watch Kanon afterwards. Never ever again will I watch Pumpkin Scissors and D.Gray-Man right before I go to bed.
niwasatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 10:03   Link #190
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Actually thats true.
Which one do you mean? The fact she is a noble or that they were pretty dumb to believe her so easily?

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 10:08   Link #191
Lost

^ That they were pretty gullible (/dumb) - it all happened quite fast, they literally fell for her declaration as a noble. Then again, if they could have been convinced by Viscount that they should not shoot him when their stomachs were rumbling...

Hmm. Either those maids were a plot-mistake or a mystery. More likely the former.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 10:11   Link #192
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
So basically the point is: no matter the amount of damage/pain each Gespenst Jager suffers, as long as he can move a single tendon/muscle/nerve in his body he will continue to try to reach as close as possible to the tank. They have 'thrown away life' in the sense that for the purpose of reaching point blank distance, they disregard their safety/survival (which makes me wonder how Oland survived so far ). Pretty cool, thanks for doing that Cyz.
I don't think the Gespent Jager soldiers loose their mind and turn like zombie completely. I think they can still think on their feet. Remember episode 1, Oland didn't just go straight to the tank. He use the mist to his advantage to get close to it and he hesitated shooting Wolf because he's holding the vaccine (keep note that the lamp is still open). Anyway, 901-ATT would be better called "dead man walking" . Btw, remember Alice's uncanny ability to sense danger with that strange sensation she's feeling at the back of her neck? Somehow it reminds me of Spider Man's spider senses
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Old 2006-10-13, 16:59   Link #193
mikeon

What I thought strange was why is it after the second shot, after making fun of the stories, the viscount starts get dismayed and the face completly changes.

Also, where does orland get's his ammo? I would think people would find it odd on hearing about anti tank bullets.
mikeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 17:48   Link #194
ryaken

Send a message via MSN to ryaken
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeon View Post
What I thought strange was why is it after the second shot, after making fun of the stories, the viscount starts get dismayed and the face completly changes.
I thought this was a bit odd as well, it was such a quick turn-around in that Viscount's emotions. I feel kind of bad for the other guy, the shooter, he totally was blown away and the Viscount lived?? I bet the maids shot him up militia-style later on.

Really looking forward to Alice and the Scissors; can't wait to see what in the world she will do next.
ryaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 18:04   Link #195
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeon View Post
Actually this kind of makes sense to me, because the noble is so used to obliterating people with a single shot. Clearly his physics are real physics i.e shoot at a human body with a 35mm shell and you expect chunks of steaming meat. You don't expect a hulking great beserker to survive continously and come back for more after you've emptied an entire magazine into him.

For a while I think this stretched the credibility of the show. Then I thought; perhaps not. I think, conversely, it simply reiterates the superhuman (or supernatural) aspect of Orland, while at the same time reveals the vulnerability of his fragile human qualities. When the lantern is on, he's totally one track, unless of-course Alice interrupts him. The noble only survived this encounter because Alice interrupted Orland. Orland would have mashed him - that's what he's programmed to do, but Alice has already entered his subsconsious as a limiter, so he stayed the execution.

On a less serious note I've totally warmed to Stekkin. I lolled to her getting all exicted about being Orland's superior and being all protective of Mer-kun.

TBH I'm really not too bothered, unlike others, that after 2 eps we haven't got a big major plot to mull over just yet. Gonzo often take their time. I'd quote Chrno Crusade, Last Exile and even Solty Rei as evidence. However if it's still 'tank of the week' at episode 9 then I'd worry.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 20:14   Link #196
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ ] View Post

I think without the rumors and ghost stories about his division his psychological effect in battle would be less profound. I'd like to see though him facing a tank crew that simply stays calm and starts driving instead of stopping or slowing down. On another note however the bad sight distance really would play a role as well and the nightblue light would be hard to accurately read in the fog, distance wise. It can also mislead by turning it off, or distracting. Who knows how many crews hes sent in a river or off a cliff that way, hehe.

Well if you think about what the primary role of a tank is a lot of it makes sense as way the military would use ATT. Tanks are used primary for attacking and countering enemy armour. Therefore most tanks are not built to hit small targets like a human for example. In most cases today majority of tanks have heavy machine guns mounted on the top or side manned by a gunner for attacking troops on foot. Combined with the stories of the blue light and the fact that tanks are not bulit to counter this, the effects are profound. Yes a shell impact near the enemy might wound a soldier. But these guys dont feel pain and have no fear. When a gunner is so scared he cant shoot straight that gives the ATT's the upperhand in a fight allowing them to get close enough to kill the driver and the gunner. Another thing i noticed was I wondering why the ATT's guns only fired one shot well i got my answer in ep 2 there fucking armour piercing thats a serious bullet their carrying around no wonder they can only fire one shot at a time. The recoile on that thing must be hell.

Last edited by Sinestra; 2006-10-16 at 21:14.
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 04:58   Link #197
mtarzaim

I downloaded this serie because of the title, following the "odd title, great show" mnemonic.
And damn, I was right !

Take the two main characters of Solty Rei (Roy and Solty), switch their personnality, and send them in a Post World War I Germany, when tanks and chemical technologies arised.
Add smooth animation, great design, surely-made-by-army-otakus CG tanks and a smart mix between comedy and action. You finally obtain Pumpkin Scissors.

Alice and Oland are quite interesting lead characters.

We have an anti-fanservice heroine in an anime. Unlike Sumomomo-- (which has its own qualities), the main girl is without skirt, without rose color, without sexy behaviors and without speech mimics (ok, ok, just one ), but a lot of moe in her !
Her facial expressions are undoubtly cute, reminding me of Sawachika Eri ... in a more Tenma-ic way

Am I the only one who thinks Oland is a copycat of ... Frankestein's creature ?
I mean : gentle face, scars, giant size, zombie-like attitude and berserk mode inside ... ^^

Let's see how the secondary characters will evolve ...

The story seems quite solid, with a lot of potential bad guys, as shown in the opening, and an historical but original background. That only would surely speak to german people, making this show a success in West Europa when released.
Great OP and Great ED, each in its own style.

I have great expectations for this serie.
If Gonzo can (and have to ! ) keep the pace, with more plot developpments of course, we might see one of the 2006-2007 top series.

mtarzaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 06:49   Link #198
[ ]

Send a message via ICQ to [ ] Send a message via AIM to [ ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by niwasatou View Post
So, that would be "gespenstischer Jäger". Didn't fit into the OP-song? Too difficult to pronounce?
Anyway, I watched the first episode yesterday and Gespenst Jäger is just fine with me.
Although I had to watch Kanon afterwards. Never ever again will I watch Pumpkin Scissors and D.Gray-Man right before I go to bed.
xD Sounds pretty long, doesnt it?
Agh, quite the line up you got there. I had the same problem though...
I watched D.Grey Man then Pumpkin Scissors and finished up with Death Note...
Needless to say I had a really hard time getting to sleep. Oo
I think if I faced the line-up again, tho I'd finish with Pumpkin Scissors,
it seems to be the most light hearted feel-wise out of them.
That and the ultra-cute outro truly takes away any creeps the series might have left hehehe.
[ ] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 10:03   Link #199
jtrog

The girl, 'I am the Third Sister of the Family..." is cute. Premises an all story setups look pretty cool. Once again found a show that has a 'Female' main whos doing exterordary things and liking it.

"more more more!"!

Currently watching only some of the brand new ones with no idea what they are about but because they are there...
jtrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 10:23   Link #200
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrog View Post
The girl, 'I am the Third Sister of the Family..." is cute. Premises an all story setups look pretty cool. Once again found a show that has a 'Female' main whos doing exterordary things and liking it.
You mean Alice? Yeah, she's pretty headstrong and easy to loose her temper. But you gotta admit, she has guts challenging someone with just her short sword.
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~