AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-04-11, 17:24   Link #1
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Angry The least hated kind of ending

Most anime adapted from manga don’t cover the entire story before ending. What kind of ending do you find the least hated from the choices I mention or any other you can think of?

1) An original but rushed and probably silly ending
That is, they divert from the manga and end the story in a few episodes (examples: Gantz, Claymore, Soul Eater, the first FMA)
-The good part: It ends
-The bad part: It leaves the rest of the story out and even makes it impossible to continue later on

2) Fillers, fillers, fillers
Simply said, storyless episodes until the series is canceled (examples: Rurouni Kenshin, the first Inu Yasha)
-The good part: Keeps you watching your favorite series
-The bad part: Nothing happens

3) Cut right in the action
That is, stopped while the story was still going smoothly (example: D.Gray Man)
-The good part: Keeps you yearning for a sequel or head for the manga
-The bad part: The worst part to stop!

4) Other
Um… Not one of the above
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 17:29   Link #2
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Least Hated:
Number 1, that seems to be the least disruptive for me. Though yes, it'll take some work if there's a continuation.
Most hated:
Oh god, most certainly Fillers. A slow and painful death is not the way to go. And yes, I'm wondering if some shows would just fucking end...

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 19:55   Link #3
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

You should make this into a poll, roriconfan.

As for my choice, neither. Most of the time, I do not identify the anime series using its source. And so, I usually just expect things to change a bit, but not in a drastic manner (Railgun is out of the question because it has a source of its own).

But if I would choose, it's (1). Well, silly might not be the perfect term for that, but there are original endings that work well like in Suzuka.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 20:26   Link #4
Socke
Banned

You forgot to mention School Days. Yes people do loves that shit so much...
Socke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 21:53   Link #5
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

That's not original lol. School Days just have lots of endings and they decided to go for the bloodfest.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2010-04-12 at 02:06.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 01:02   Link #6
james0246

Since many anime are adapted from other source material, I do not mind option # 1. Specifically, adaptations do not have to be word for word, they need only reflect central themes and ideas from the original source. Consequently, if entirely different story conclusions are present within the different mediums, but the character conclusions are, more or less, similar, then I really do not mind that the story has changed, or even if sequels are impossible...

That being said, 2 and 3 are awful choices. 2 because it makes you bored with the characters; and 3 because I do not want to be forced to buy other material (either tell me the story or don't, but do not start a story then finish it elsewhere).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 01:14   Link #7
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Most hated:
Oh god, most certainly Fillers. A slow and painful death is not the way to go. And yes, I'm wondering if some shows would just fucking end...
Oh, but what about all the money the company would lose from not milking you this way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
You should make this into a poll, roriconfan.
Nah, I left it open so all types are mentioned in posts. It is not really an absolute choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socke View Post
You forgot to mention School Days. Yes people do loves that shit so much...
I wonder if "Nice Boat" counts as an option...
Old 2010-04-12, 07:34   Link #8
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

I would say none of those. Here are a couple of more options to your list.

4) Seasons with gaps between them (i.e. instead of fillers, you just stop the show)
Pros: The story keeps going following the source perfectly and each season ends at an appropriate place
Cons: You have to wait for the new season to come out

5) Wait for the manga/source to be finished, or almost finished before doing an anime. (Example: FMA Brotherhood)
Pros: You have the complete story and the original ending from the source material
Cons: It might take a long time for the manga to finish and if you follow the manga, you might not want to watch the anime if you know the ending already.
Old 2010-04-12, 11:24   Link #9
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
I would say none of those. Here are a couple of more options to your list.

4) Seasons with gaps between them (i.e. instead of fillers, you just stop the show)
Pros: The story keeps going following the source perfectly and each season ends at an appropriate place
Cons: You have to wait for the new season to come out

5) Wait for the manga/source to be finished, or almost finished before doing an anime. (Example: FMA Brotherhood)
Pros: You have the complete story and the original ending from the source material
Cons: It might take a long time for the manga to finish and if you follow the manga, you might not want to watch the anime if you know the ending already.
Don't both of these options count as sequels and not as early endings?
Old 2010-04-12, 12:26   Link #10
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Least hated...I'm not sure I have a solid preference, but I like one of the two below:

1) It ends. It doesn't matter if it's an original ending or modified.
2) It stops without dragging on the story (ie. no fillers).

One of the better endings where the manga is still ongoing is Inuyasha, the first season. It did drag out the story near the end, but the important thing is it ended in a sort of cliffhanger, but it was feel-good ending. At least, it made me felt like Inuyasha was worth watching and I will look forward to when they will continue it.

And that means I disagree that Inuyasha falls into #2 as described in the first post. That's because some of the best episodes in Inuyasha (first season) falls near its end (ie. episode 163). I might even go as far as to compare Inuyasha with Cardcaptor Sakura, where fillers were present, but they do not bore me, or make me think that they were fillers at all. Rurouni Kenshin was different. After episode 63, I could not watch any more of it since I can immediately see it will go nowhere.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 12:35   Link #11
roriconfan
Banned

Fillers are fillers like them or not. And Inuyasha is definitely in that category. I can even say that the rest of the show after the first third is nothing but fillers.
Old 2010-04-12, 12:47   Link #12
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Don't both of these options count as sequels and not as early endings?
Well, 5) is definitely not a sequel, since it involves the whole story being told at one go.

4) involves sequels indeed, but I prefer it to the fillers option - instead of putting fillers in the show, they should just stop the show for a time and restart it after the source material has gotten ahead.
Old 2010-04-12, 13:55   Link #13
roriconfan
Banned

Ι mention on the first post that I was talking about anime that end BEFORE the manga is finished. That makes 5 invalid. Plus, it is really rare to see an anime being made after the manga is over. Most that follow that are in fact remakes of an older version.

As for 4, you admit yourself it is not relevant to the topic. But I do prefer that myself.
Old 2010-04-12, 16:01   Link #14
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

If it an anime original show without GN or Manga backing. Then an open ending otherwise choice 3)
Old 2010-04-12, 16:13   Link #15
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Oh, but what about all the money the company would lose from not milking you this way?
I know.then they'd have to ...try! God forbid anyone do that these days.

But yea, the only thing I can think about when I hear filler is irrelevant things that help us understand nothing and also crappy low budget animation. Don't you love it when several scenes have 5 frames between them? I always thought anime meant animation (moving pictures) but guess I was wrong.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 23:21   Link #16
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
What about the Kill 'Em ending seen in shows like Gundam? People sort of expect thise nowadays.
Old 2010-04-13, 02:00   Link #17
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
What about the Kill 'Em ending seen in shows like Gundam? People sort of expect thise nowadays.
Isn't that option 1?
Old 2010-04-13, 02:56   Link #18
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Quote:
Isn't that option 1?
Kind of...

The original Gundam was cut short due to budgetary reasons, so Tomino had to wrap it up. The ending seemed a little rushed, but it was still a good satisfactory ending to a good show.

As for the "Kill them all"
Spoiler:

I'm not sure if Gundam shows fall in any of those categories though, since it's not a source material vs. anime adaptation conflict. but more like an "author's original intention" vs. "execution" thing. They are similar, but not quite the same.
Old 2010-04-13, 04:21   Link #19
roriconfan
Banned

Let's leave out any more Gundam examples, as they are not based on manga and we definitely have no idea what were the writer's original intentions. If you ask me, a "kill'em all" trope is nothing but a cheap method to take out all characters and side stories you have no time or idea of what to do with them. It works but it is still cheap, especially when it happens en masse.
Old 2010-04-13, 06:42   Link #20
Socke
Banned

How about the bittersweet one? I think there's already topic on that.
Socke is offline   Reply With Quote