Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-09-01, 17:22   Link #1
Utter_iMADNESS
Life's better in a harem.
*Graphic Designer

Website Request...

Hey everyone.
I'm having a bit of a problem. My dad manages a couple of gas stations in Toronto and we've been having a lot of drive offs. We have video surveillance so we have the license plates recorded, but what we need is to somehow get the drivers information using the license plate number.
I've heard of a subscription website where business owners can enter the license plate numbers to get the drivers' information, but I don't actually know what the website is.
So does anyone know of such a website? It would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Old 2008-09-01, 17:27   Link #2
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utter_iMADNESS View Post
...but what we need is to somehow get the drivers information using the license plate number.
Isn't that highly sensitive information held by the government?
Old 2008-09-01, 19:43   Link #3
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Isn't that highly sensitive information held by the government?
Indeed it is. You can hire private investigators, but I won't trust those...

Why not just find ways to stop drive-offs?
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 02:57   Link #4
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Hey everyone.
I'm having a bit of a problem. My dad manages a couple of gas stations in Toronto and we've been having a lot of drive offs. We have video surveillance so we have the license plates recorded, but what we need is to somehow get the drivers information using the license plate number.
I've heard of a subscription website where business owners can enter the license plate numbers to get the drivers' information, but I don't actually know what the website is.
So does anyone know of such a website? It would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance.
This problem is one faced by any gas station that uses video surveillance. I would suggest your father contact the local police station and ask for advice there. There must be a procedure to bring charges for what is theft after all.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 03:57   Link #5
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I'll assume it's a crime there just as it would be in the states, and if you have evidence that can get those people in trouble you should notify the police. They can run a plate check and tell you who was responsible, and ask if you wish to press charges.

Otherwise, there's the more underhanded ways...most likely expensive, untrustworthy and maybe even illegal. Any website that would promise such information would either require proof of being a licensed official or they're a scam. Especially if they ask for money before telling you all of the information.
Old 2008-09-02, 12:48   Link #6
Strahan

I know just the site for you:

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/

Seriously.. why are you even trying to do it yourself? If you do get the name and address, what do you intend to do.. swing by their house with a baseball bat? Just call the police and give them the relevant information and let them do their thing.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 13:08   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Side note: if possible, overhaul the stations to require payment first. I haven't seen a "fill and pay after" system here in the US for years, except possibly for the midwestern states. This system makes even more sense given the rate that the price has been increasing. That'd solve the drive-off issue entirely, wouldn't it?
Old 2008-09-02, 19:15   Link #8
Utter_iMADNESS
Life's better in a harem.
*Graphic Designer

Thanks for the responses everyone.
I wasn't really expecting to find a website because it is such sensitive information, but I thought that I might as well try.

In response to what Ledgem said, my father is actually going to ask if he can change the system for his stations to have a pay-first system after a co-worker told him of the system in the U.S. I just hope he can get it through quickly enough as not to lose too much money.

The other problem is that some people either bend their license plates down so that the cameras can't see them, or they don't have any plates on in the first place. I guess we'll just end up sending what we know to the police.
Old 2008-09-02, 19:21   Link #9
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
The other problem is that some people either bend their license plates down so that the cameras can't see them, or they don't have any plates on in the first place.
The police doesn't deal with those over there?
Old 2008-09-02, 19:26   Link #10
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Side note: if possible, overhaul the stations to require payment first. I haven't seen a "fill and pay after" system here in the US for years, except possibly for the midwestern states. This system makes even more sense given the rate that the price has been increasing. That'd solve the drive-off issue entirely, wouldn't it?
Indeed, almost all gas stations in my area (north-central Indiana) give people the option of paying afterward. Even when gas prices were higher than $4.10/gallon, the number of drive-offs was relatively low. Like, one in 3000.

But duh. Contact the police immediately after a driveoff occurs. The fact that you have video evidence will greatly increase the chances of the offenders being caught and punished.