AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-04-29, 14:09   Link #401
KrimzonStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspirit View Post
I've been meaning to ask, KrimzonStriker, that icon of yours...is it actually two characters? Cos the second one looks like strikingly like that vampire d00d from Vampire Knight. Or is all Lelouch and the two just look that similar?

Uh, yeah it's all Lelouch, just a sequence where the light starts to shine on top of his head...and no it's not Kaname. I like Zero better myself BTW
Old 2008-04-29, 14:55   Link #402
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

No, the comedy of Code Geass isn't in the scenes of the series, but in the setup and placement of the characters. The way the writer has inverted so many tropes and cliches really tickles me: Lelouch is by far the most Britanian person in the cast, while Sukau is the one who advanced by the more Republican ideals of hard work and talent. It's Lelouch, the scheming prince, who defies expectations and opposes Britania from outside rather than from within, while oh-so-knightly Suzaku DOESN'T simply do the cliche heroic thing of standing against the Evil Empire despite the odds.

Now, some might have beefs with that, and I don't mind it as long as they're fair and legitimate beefs that aren't excused for Lelouch but damning for Suzaku, but the utter reversal of the traditional tropes and the way they play out is great popcorn humor.
(Even if I can still see way too many foreshadows.)
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 15:10   Link #403
Sol Falling

hmm, I guess that kind of stuff would be more noticeable to people who've watched more shows and are familiar with all the tropes, etc.. I noticed some of those things you mentioned about Code Geass, but that just made the show more interesting to me, as opposed to humourous.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 16:34   Link #404
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

What are these foreshadows you see? If they involve Lelouch becoming evil or leading to his death, there isn't much chance of that given what Taniguchi and Okouchi have said.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 16:42   Link #405
KrimzonStriker

Dammit all he needs to expand his relationships and his values more if he's going to get that type of ending from my point of view. C'mon Rolo and potential spouse (hopefully C.C ) along with anyone else in the series, save Lelouch from himself >_>
Old 2008-04-29, 16:50   Link #406
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Let's not start anything related to romance here at the moment.

Lelouch has his flaws just as everyone else does in this show.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 2008-04-29, 16:53   Link #407
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
What are these foreshadows you see? If they involve Lelouch becoming evil or leading to his death, there isn't much chance of that given what Taniguchi and Okouchi have said.
Not those per say, though the entire first-half was about Lelouch girding himself for heartlessness (and then his total failure at it).

Rather I'm talking about various points: I could tell from hints that Lelouch was going to ask Suzaku to be Nunally's knight one moment too late, how the entire island episode would go after a point, and so on. It's hard to explain, but the episodes themselves follow a predictably unpredictable format: I knew, for example, that Lelouch would make the School his headquarters, because I could tell he wouldn't want his friends to die. Lelouch saving Rolo and playing on the brotherly bond was the same way.
Old 2008-04-29, 17:00   Link #408
KrimzonStriker

So what exactly was your point? I mean, what do you see happening or see being foreshadowed exactly because it's not really all that clear from your other post >_>
Old 2008-04-29, 17:02   Link #409
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Oh, that was what you meant. I agree that it is sometimes easy to see where things can go in that regard. Lelouch is pretty much a walking example of Murphy's Law when it comes to timing. I wouldn't say the predictability is that much of downside though since sometimes something you should have seen coming a mile away suddenly happens in what seems to be out of the blue.

Old 2008-04-29, 17:07   Link #410
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

It's not an especially bad thing, just exceptionally notable when one considers the numerous tropes and cliches that the director has taken head on. An island of normallacy in a sea of overal exceptionalism, you see.

It really doesn't reflect on Lelouch, except in so much that being able to predict what he's going to do next is getting easier and easier. And I'll be dissapointed the next time Lelouch can steal a Knightmare because he tells the person inside he needs to see them face to face or has a card: don't Knightmare's have cameras?
Old 2008-04-29, 17:11   Link #411
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

He handled the camera problem actually with the whole secret order thing that had to be discussed confidentially. I agree that they shouldn't keep doing that with him since it gets sort of old unfortunately. I saw the thing with Rollo in episode 4 as soon as it happened.

Old 2008-04-29, 22:02   Link #412
Marsala
Delurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Not those per say, though the entire first-half was about Lelouch girding himself for heartlessness (and then his total failure at it).

Rather I'm talking about various points: I could tell from hints that Lelouch was going to ask Suzaku to be Nunally's knight one moment too late, how the entire island episode would go after a point, and so on. It's hard to explain, but the episodes themselves follow a predictably unpredictable format: I knew, for example, that Lelouch would make the School his headquarters, because I could tell he wouldn't want his friends to die. Lelouch saving Rolo and playing on the brotherly bond was the same way.
Just as Lelouch, after declaring how he intends to use Rolo and throw him away, will almost certainly develop real brotherly feelings for him but won't realize it until it is too late, i.e. after Rolo is killed (which, for maximum irony, will be done by Nunnally)?
Marsala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 01:05   Link #413
WhiteWings

Lelouch does seem to be distracted from being a coldly analytical and decisive mastermind by more earthly concerns. It happened many times in season 1.
Old 2008-04-30, 07:33   Link #414
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsala View Post
(which, for maximum irony, will be done by Nunnally)?
I hate to bring this up again, but where the hell does the evil Nunnally theory comes from?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 09:09   Link #415
Marsala
Delurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I hate to bring this up again, but where the hell does the evil Nunnally theory comes from?
Shall we go through the list again?

1) She's blind and in a wheelchair. Never trust a character like that, especially since her blindness is psychological. Especially in a series where eyes are important... what will be in Nunnally's eyes when they finally open? V.V. went after her for a reason, after all, and the DS game confirms that the Emperor sent V.V. to retrieve "that daughter" as a connection to Ragnarok or whatever...

2) She knows much more than she lets on. She overheard Mao talking about Lelouch's Geass and never raised the subject. Her call to Lelouch in episode 23 was highly suspicious, as if she knew what he did to Euphemia and was trying to guilt-trip him (if so, it worked). Also, would someone capable of hearing that a cat had an injured leg fail to identify her brother's voice as Zero?

3) She faked being ill in order to get Lelouch's attention, saying that her fever came from missing him so much. Just what other ailments could she be faking?

4) Rolo. He's Nunnally's foil. He looked sweet and innocent, but he was hiding a terrible dark side. Nunnally looks even more sweet and innocent, therefore she is hiding...

5) Can't post spoiler here, but it's a doozy.

6) Sheer irony. Wouldn't it be perfect for Nunnally to be the greatest threat to the world that Lelouch wants to build for her?
Marsala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 09:41   Link #416
KrimzonStriker

Hence why she's EEEEEEVVVVVVVIIIIIIILLLLLLL!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
Lelouch does seem to be distracted from being a coldly analytical and decisive mastermind by more earthly concerns. It happened many times in season 1.
Which is why I can say he's not a complete bastard about everything and that his intentions are better then most if he's capable of that much, which is why he'll probably win in the end and not become the evil that he was fighting like so many other characters who did the same. Still needs to work on it though after what happened in Episode 4 with Rolo, best bet would be to realize how EEEVVVIIIILLL Nunnally is... >_>
Old 2008-04-30, 10:25   Link #417
Stretch5920

nothing wrong with being a little evil.
Stretch5920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 10:30   Link #418
Blue_Mercy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
Hence why she's EEEEEEVVVVVVVIIIIIIILLLLLLL!!!!!

Which is why I can say he's not a complete bastard about everything and that his intentions are better then most if he's capable of that much, which is why he'll probably win in the end and not become the evil that he was fighting like so many other characters who did the same. Still needs to work on it though after what happened in Episode 4 with Rolo, best bet would be to realize how EEEVVVIIIILLL Nunnally is... >_>
Moving the conversation from the quotes section, Lelouch needs Nunnally for that justification or everything he's done comes crashing down on him, especially killing his half-sister who he loved.
Blue_Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 10:30   Link #419
KrimzonStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch5920 View Post
nothing wrong with being a little evil.
She'll be the ultimate EEEVVVVIIILLLL I tell you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Mercy View Post
Moving the conversation from the quotes section, Lelouch needs Nunnally for that justification or everything he's done comes crashing down on him, especially killing his half-sister who he loved.
It's not going to be good enough as time goes on though, he needs to include more people in that little bit of motivation of his if he's going to be able to sustain the rebellion, especially as things are looking pretty down and out for him in regards to the recent spoilers. He's going to have to learn that he has more responsibilities then just Nunnally some time down the line... >_>
Old 2008-04-30, 12:51   Link #420
greyhawk
Some dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsala View Post
Shall we go through the list again?
LOL, you're so damn right.
Then again, what if she just possesses some kind of great power and is being used by the Emperor (instead of turning evil herself and attacking her brother)
greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote