AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-04-01, 23:52   Link #181
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^I loved the first 5-8 episodes of GSD, so my bitterness is probably more out of love and potential than pure idiotic hate, but to think despite it's flaws it can be top 3 G-series of all time? I can't respect that from a mod of this forum, and if you feel the same I think you know my response to you aswell (And that ain't arbitrary, I read your posts)...

And why would you get your head shot off for suggesting 8th MS Team? It's generally considered a great Gundam anime inwhich I definitely agree.... However you've already gotten 2 50 ep Gundam series in a row that used character melodrama, teen angst, and soap opera space-drama...Why don't people understand that every Gundam series has it's own vessel, it's own prism of storytelling or contextual dynamics?? (ALL of THEM) Gundam 00, coming off 2 seasons of CE felt it was time to present a story that was milder in the areas that make YOU connect with Gundam (Basically the deep character soap-drama $hit)...8th MS team had that romance, CE had that character drama I'm assuming you loved, but is it so hard to understand that a series doesn't have to whore that out all the time...A different series told thru a different prism dude...
Old 2009-04-02, 00:01   Link #182
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
^I loved the first 5-8 episodes of GSD, so my bitterness is probably more out of love and potential than pure idiotic hate, but to think despite it's flaws it can be top 3 G-series of all time? I can't respect that from a mod of this forum, and if you feel the same I think you know my response to you aswell (And that ain't arbitrary, I read your posts)...
Ya know, we had the same discussion two years ago

Quote:
Why don't people understand that every Gundam series has it's own vessel, it's own prism of storytelling or contextual dynamics?? (ALL of THEM) Gundam 00, coming off 2 seasons of CE felt it was time to present a story that was milder in the areas that make YOU connect with Gundam (Basically the deep character soap-drama $hit)...8th MS team had that romance, CE had that character drama I'm assuming you loved, but is it so hard to understand that a series doesn't have to whore that out all the time...A different series told thru a different prism dude...
I am a Gundam fan, but probably not in the same light as you are. Then again, there is not a single definition to the so-called concept of a self-respecting-Gundam-fan. I personally like character-driven stories, and thats just me. 00, while being a good Gundam series in its own right, was not as engaging for me as an audience because of my inability to foster a closer connection with any of the characters. Therefore, I cannot exactly nominate 00 as one of my favorite Gundam series. While a Gundam series certainly does not need to whore that all out the time, some audiences might appreciate it, some audiences might not. At the end, its all about perspectives. Thats all.

Lastly, a mod here is really not to reinforce your likings for a show... he is really just here to monitor in case shit hits the fan.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 00:28   Link #183
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I fail to see how any show involving the use of giant robots in battle is "realistic." If you people want to watch a show with realism in it, go watch a live-action television program that isn't on Sci-Fi or HBO or the like.
You do know that GUNDAM created the genre of "Realistic ROBOS"...Before Gundam every Big robot show was a kid standing on the shoulder of a Big a$$ bot as it did what it wanted or was commanded to do...So Gundam does have a "realism" at work that separates it in it's sub-genre...Not to say Gundam 00 (Robot wise) was more realistic than it was Soopa ROBOS, but IMO it was purposeful mix of the 2 elements...Soopa-ROBOS under the guise of Realistic ROBO...

Quote:
Lastly, a mod here is really not to reinforce your likings for a show... he is really just here to monitor in case shit hits the fan.

- Tak
I've never been to a forum in all my years where the mod basically hates the show he mods...Only here...And by here I mean this forum, not animesuki where every other mod loves, likes, or at some point loved the show they moderate...Usually people ask to mod a forum where they like the material...
Old 2009-04-02, 00:45   Link #184
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

- Tak
I don't mind if he doesn't care about the show, but I do care if he hates the show, especially Gundam. Who would want someone who hate his country to be his country's leader?
Old 2009-04-02, 01:40   Link #185
winter45

Quote:
Psst, I would say 08 MS team, but I'd probably get my head shot off for that.
WTF????

What the hell is wrong with MS08th team? Pls explain????

Quote:
So people like GSD, a lot of people like GSD... so fucking what? Get over it, yeesh.

- Tak
Yarr alot of people do like GSD .... but at the same time there are $hit loads of people that openly hates it. In animesuki is very clear how much opposition there is against it. Im one of them and funny enough there isnt no way as near as many people who hates 00 as much in ratio as GSD. (time will tell tho)

Dude there are alot of dedicated *HATE CE* forums out there im sure if you google up you be surprised to see how many there are. Not saying thats its totally $hit or Uber $hit but definatly a huge outcry of disappointment. So pls dont ignore it, It does exist.

Myself i found the first 8 episodes of GSD freaking awesome then went downhill from there IMO.

Back on topic..

Gundam 00 is fine It had its rollercoaster ride with me.. Had lots of good things and some bad things. All in all that did bother me. But in general i am very satisfied with the series. I am looking forward to the movie bext year.
winter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 03:04   Link #186
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicX_Zero View Post
It's just an internet message board man. Chill.
Well, Animesuki is the place I spend most of my time on the internet, so I may go overboard with that statement, but it also holds my point.
Old 2009-04-02, 03:20   Link #187
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

I think mod has the right to state his opinion on the show, like we all do. It's not like he hates the whole Gundam franchise...
Old 2009-04-02, 04:33   Link #188
winter45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post
I think mod has the right to state his opinion on the show, like we all do. It's not like he hates the whole Gundam franchise...
true but i beleive where duo is concerned is that the mod maybe biased how a specific gundam thread is maintaned, runned or decisions that may effect the outcome of posters confidence (incuding morale) especially if the mod doesnt particularly like a specific gundam show.

I would be concerned too if my leader of my country hate the country that he is leading. A few alarm bells may register if you know what i mean?
Old 2009-04-02, 04:48   Link #189
SonicX_Zero
Kill Kira

If people have issues with 4tran as Mod, I believe there are other people in power that you can express your concern instead of whining about it in this topic. I dont think 4tran hates gundam, its just that his opinion is different from other people and I thought the president in a forum was the admin, not the mod.

As for the series I personally didn't like S1 as much because to be honest it bored the hell out of me although I do understand the appeal it has to other people especially with the way the world was set up and how different the characters were, and not to mention I enjoyed the fight especially the omnislash exia.lol
SonicX_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 05:25   Link #190
winter45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post
@winter45 - Mod is not president. His idea of "savoir vivre" and forum etiquette is essential.
/winter45 facepalms himself

Ive got myself to blame for this....

Leader as in a person in position that guides.. not in sense owns or rules makes policies lalalalala.

Answers.com definition of leader.

"One that leads or guides"

Hope this clears the confusion and clearer where i am comming from.

@sonicX as far as i understand people arnt whininig to a point of mass revolt.... my understaning is that a few members are *concerned* that doesnt constitute as whining. Maybe 1 or 2 posters are whining but that doesnt make the bulk of *concerned* posters.
Old 2009-04-02, 05:37   Link #191
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter45 View Post
/winter45 facepalms himself

Ive got myself to blame for this....

Leader as in a person in position that guides.. not in sense owns or rules makes policies lalalalala.

Answers.com definition of leader.

"One that leads or guides"

Hope this clears the confusion and clearer where i am comming from.
Well to me, a moderator is more of a grunt law enforcer rather than a leader (which is a status, as somebody put it right previously, more fit to the administrator). There are certain rules that have to be maintained, yadda yadda. And this, 4Tran does perfectly, IMHO. He has his opinions, though and in the democratic community this forum is (or so I want to believe) he has a right to express them. And whilst I agree that the moderator of certain forums should be enthusiastic about the content they moderate, they for certain are not forced to like everything "as it goes" regarding the said topic, in this case - the Gundam franchise".

ok, quit off-topic now, folks.
Old 2009-04-02, 11:47   Link #192
4Tran

Mattaku! I can't believe that you guys made me dredge up this ancient thread. Are my tastes in Gundam really of that much interest? Oh well, here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
Sorry 4tran, but you've lost all credibility when you said 00 was a lot better than G.
The idea that one's judgement or ability to form argument is based on one's tastes is nothing other than snobbery. As it happens, I hate G Gundam for reasons that probably don't apply to anyone else, so I almost never write about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
He doesn't seem to like any Gundam shows...
where the heck do you get that idea from?

Quote:
You MIGHT write more later huh? Not even worthy of your time huh? How bout we just get to the truth here for those that don't know...
Why should I have to feel obligated to spend an hour or two typing up all of my reasons for liking/disliking Gundam 00 elements? I just used that sentence as a placeholder to indicate I may still do so, but only if my muse is wakened for it.

Quote:
You don't like Gundam and you never have...You say Wing was superior to 00, yet you don't even like Wing, and you think GSD is like the 2nd or 3rd best G-series of all time (Which is online seppuku)...
Since it seems so important, this is what I posted in this very thread three years ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
My favorites:
1. Victory - Lots of great moments and lots of bizzare/goofy moments. Easily the most enjoyment I had watching Gundam.
2. Turn A - Superb setting and good character interaction. The ending was a little weak, but it doesn't really detract from the whole.
3. Seed - Plenty of compelling drama marred by some bad writing. I found the characters very appealing.
4. Destiny - Flawed; but it still presented the most interesting ideas in Gundam. It made me think the most, and I like that.

Enjoyable:
5. Mobile Suit Gundam - A solid show; it has one of the best depictions of war in Gundam.
6. Gundam X - I liked the characters, but it doesn't really live up to its setting.
7. Zeta Gundam - A pretty decent show, but it's sort of dragged down by the ending and some of the directorial choices.
8. Gundam Wing - I thought that it was pretty bad, but I still liked it.

Not enjoyable:
Gundam 00 goes here.
9. ZZ Gundam - I didn't mind the beginning, but I hated the ending.
10. G Gundam - A pretty good show, but none of the characters worked for me.

I might as well add the shorter works:
1. 08th MS Team - Good atmosphere overall. The Shattering Mountain episodes were also some of the best episodes in Gundam. I even liked the last episode.
2. 0080 - A very interesting character piece. I especially liked the portrayal of the kids' reactions to the war.
3. Endless Waltz - Better than Wing. Dorothy and her eyebrows make the movie version better than the OVAs.
4. 0083 - Lots of eyecandy, but I don't think it has as much substance as it could have had. Nina Purpleton is my least favorite Gundam character.
5. Char's Counterattack - I didn't buy the ending at all.
considering that I placed most of the shows int the "Enjoyable" category, does it even remotely look like I hate all Gundam shows? Mattaku!

Quote:
How can any self-respecting gundam fan be bothered with your comments...Oh damn, I guess I still am...You so don't pass the sniff-test, but I'm curious in your perfect 12 Kingdoms world of Mecha, what prey tell would make a good gundam series? Not that I don't know your answer as it's been imprinted in my mind ever since the first day i even debated you, but could you perhaps verbalize TO THE FORUM YOU MOD what would be the perfect or best scenario for a Gundam show to you, so maybe they can get an understanding of why in God's name you would want to be the default face of a place that holds the Gundam name?
Aside from general elements like good writing, direction, characterization and the like, why do you presume that I think that there's any one thing or set of things that make for an ideal Gundam series? And why the heck should I have to expound on that? Mattaku!

Quote:
Is it really that difficult to grasp the concept that people can have very different tastes, and that this is, in no way, meaningful for much beyond that. Whether their points are of any worth should be based on the strength of the argument rather than on their tastes, or even who they are. Mattaku!

As it happens, I thought that the first dozen or so Destiny episodes were fairly weak save for episode 6 and that much of the middle portion wasn't very good at all. I think that the latter half of Destiny was what made it into a good show overall. Then again, I suppose that it's that sin of having different opinions again.

Quote:
And why would you get your head shot off for suggesting 8th MS Team? It's generally considered a great Gundam anime inwhich I definitely agree....
The reason is that it's persumptuous to speak for someone else's tastes unless one know for sure. In this case, Tak is correct, so I won't be shooting his head of (for now ).

Quote:
I've never been to a forum in all my years where the mod basically hates the show he mods...Only here...And by here I mean this forum, not animesuki where every other mod loves, likes, or at some point loved the show they moderate...Usually people ask to mod a forum where they like the material...
Mattaku! While I like Gundam shows in general, I am, in no way obligated to like all of them. And the absurd idea that a moderator has to like the show being moderated would mean that certain shows won't see any moderation at all. Mattaku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter45 View Post
true but i beleive where duo is concerned is that the mod maybe biased how a specific gundam thread is maintaned, runned or decisions that may effect the outcome of posters confidence (incuding morale) especially if the mod doesnt particularly like a specific gundam show.
What the heck does morale have to do with anything? Can't viewers make up their own minds about what they like or don't like? Besides, you've got the wrong impression of what a moderator is supposed to do. The only task is really to make sure that the rules are being followed and that the proper posts are in the proper threads. Aside from that, the Gundam forum is limited, so we have to create new threads as well. If you have any problem with any moderator's performance of those tasks, then you can either inform me or another moderator. That's always been the way it works.

-----------------------

Now is that enough, or are people interested in what constitutes my favorite shows as well?
Old 2009-04-02, 14:30   Link #193
Full Metal Jackass
Most Senior Member

wing end of discussion

or is it?
Full Metal Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 15:09   Link #194
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

turn A is awesome because it is simply the most romantic gundam show, you dont see babies popping everywhere in the ending in other gundam shows do you , hey even Dianna and khiel find their other half in the end, feeling bad for sochie.

families always warms me up
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 15:50   Link #195
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Gundam 00. Finally managed to put Gundam back on track. Out of all the Gundam series I've watched up until now, this one was certainly the most enjoyable. Right dosage of everything that makes a Gundam what it is or should I say, what I expect from Gundam series.

Other memorable mentions would be:

- CCA,
- 8th MS team,
- 0080 Stardust Memory
- War in the Pocket

Not a fan of Tomino's full scale works aside from Zeta. All in all he repeats 50% of his ideas in the consecutive works, which gets boring pretty fast. That applies to all of his shows.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 16:05   Link #196
kakakka

I have only seen some, but these are my favourites:

Zeta Gundam
- I liked how the concept of Newtypes were portrayed and how it affects Kamille's development in the story.
War in the Pocket
- Simple War story. I find it more realistic than 08th MS Team tbh.
Turn A Gundam
- I liked the aura of the story. The theme, the setting, how Turn-A is presented.
Gundam 00
- I liked how GN-Particles are contrasty(?) portrayed between two seasons; how it is essential tool for Aeolia's plan.

The rest are okay (SEED, Wing, Stardust Memories, 08th MS Team, MSG), but something in the middle felt drag. I dunno.

I'm still in the middle of watching Victory Gundam, G Gundam and Gundam ZZ.

Last edited by kakakka; 2009-04-02 at 20:07.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 16:28   Link #197
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

I'd love to see a poll. I wonder what is Animesuki's most beloved series

Mine are:

1) SEED, obviously (and I count everything here - both series and the short Stargazer)

the rest of those i've watched I'd put in this order:

2) Gundam 00
3) Zeta Gundam
4) Mobile Suit Gundam Origin
5) Stardust Memories
6) 8th MS team
7) Wing
8) Turn A (grew bored and irritated with strange, IMHO unnatural, behavior of the characters, did not finish)
9) Victory Gundam (grew bored and did not finish)

EDIT: And the movie Char's Counterattack was the lamest Gundam I ever watched. Doesn't even deserve to be on my top 10000000000 list

Last edited by Sir Dearka; 2009-04-02 at 16:44.
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 17:28   Link #198
Charred Knight

First the TV Series

1. G Gundam: Easily the most enjoyable Gundam series of all times, Every single episode has something awesome happen, and its sports the best battles in the entire franchise. The Final Master Asia vs Domon is still the mecha battle that all other mechas aspire to have. It has Excellent Music, the best voice acting in the entire franchise, and great animation. EVERYONE SHOUT WITH ME! GUNDAM FIGHTO! READY! GO!
2. Turn A Gundam: Excellent Music, excellent plot, the most in depth cast, and the Gundam series that truly expects you to sympathize with both sides of the conflict between the Earth Militia, and Dianna Counter. Its arguably better when their is no battles because the characters are the people who shine. Its a great series when an episode that has getting a cow being a major plot point is excellent. The fact that Loran is forced to choose between his friends, and his people makes for excellent drama.
3. Gundam Seed: Once it stopped ripping off the original MSG it got really good: Mu La Flaga is easily the most enjoyable character in the entire Franchise. I also liked the originality of having both major sides be lead by an insane genocidal monster. It also has some really good moments like Mirillia trying to kill Dearka.
4. Zeta Gundam: Siimply how real robot mecha battles should be, the good guys are not destroying the villains with ease, the battles are intense, andit has Char in his best role.
5. MSG: The original, while it gets boring for a little while the battles make up for it, and it has the best enemy aces in the entire franchise with names like Char Aznable,Ranbal Ral and the Black Tri Star
6 Wing Gundam: While it has some great characters like Treize, Lady Une, and Zechs, the good guys are a hit and miss with Herro, Duo and Relena being pretty good but Trowa is boring and Wufei is an ass. Wing Zero is overpowered, and most of the battles are fairly boring, the plot is good though. Has an incredibly goody ending with the Earth embracing total pacifism.
7 Gundam 00: The series with the second most wasted potential, it was great right until the 3/4th mark when the whole series fell apart with magical Pixie Dust, and an ending that makes no sense other than to make Celestial Being, look like noble people sacrificing their freedom when they don't have too, since the only major foe for the Earth Federation is Celestial Being itself.
8. Gundam Seed Destiny: Horrible battles, the cast is mostly made out of morons, the only enjoyable subplots was Meer, and Neo Roanoke and the Earth Federation is a joke. Out of the new cast Meer, a pop star was the third most intelligent person. The battles are flashy, and the battle of Orb is actually presented in an intelligent manner.

Series I have only half saw so never rated: SD Gundam Force
Series I have never seen: ZZ Gundam, Gundam V, and Gundam X

OVAs
1. Gundam 0080: Easily the best of the OVAs, brilliant cast, excellent way of showing the war from a civilian point of view, easily one of the best endings in the Gundam franchise, its tragic, but their are some nice scenes.
2. Endless Waltz: Suprisingly good coming from Wing, it took what was good about Wing, and emphasized it and toned down the things that where bad. It makes Trowa and Herro much more interesting, and the plot is pretty good. Relena also gets to show off all her character development and have a snazzy pair of pants. The best part though is showing how if everyone throws away their guns, the first person to pick up a gun takes over. Also the first ending with the mechs descending in parachutes is amazing.
3. Gundam 0083: Starts off promising but the two main good guys are boring, and one character has the stupidest most anti-climatic death in the entire franchise.
4. 08th MS team: Largely boring, with a Romeo and Juliet plot I couldn't give a rats ass about didn't get good until the end, basically had a last episode which could have been added to the previous episode.

Movies;
1. The only Gundam movie I have ever seen is Char's Counter Attack which has some great mecha battles, and a great ending that is basically an early version of Tomino's work after V Gundam. For the most part hte cast was good, and the Nu Gundam and Sazabi are awesome mecha designs.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 18:29   Link #199
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

In order:
Gundam Wing
Gundam 00
08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam
Char's Counter Attack ( The Geara Doga sealed the deal for me in this movie. It is BY FAR my FAVORITE Zeon design)

I still got much more to see I know.

I have seen the first 25 eps of SEED, those ain't so bad, but, not interesting enough to get me to watch the rest. I've read enough series reviews, and seen most of the action scenes, so I wouldn't waste money on the second DVD volume. Good move on my part.

F91 is also a a good movie, tons of action, great characters, and badass final boss. But, the pea sized MS somewhat diminish the fun for me.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 19:08   Link #200
Ryand-Smith
Mecha Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Ryand-Smith Send a message via MSN to Ryand-Smith
[QUOTE=wingdarkness;2314125]You do know that GUNDAM created the genre of "Realistic ROBOS"...Before Gundam every Big robot show was a kid standing on the shoulder of a Big a$$ bot as it did what it wanted or was commanded to do...So Gundam does have a "realism" at work that separates it in it's sub-genre...Not to say Gundam 00 (Robot wise) was more realistic than it was Soopa ROBOS, but IMO it was purposeful mix of the 2 elements...Soopa-ROBOS under the guise of Realistic ROBO...

Gundam was a more realistic Zambot 3, the first "real" robot was either Layzner or Vifam, it wasn't real, full of toy gimicks and all sorts of things!
Ryand-Smith is offline   Reply With Quote