AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

Old 2011-02-22, 15:42   Link #721
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
What I meant was less preaching when there's action.
Railgun still has the better action though IMHO. I mean its directed and choreographed better. Though now that I notice it is not as much as I thought since it is part slice of life.

I do like Mikoto's flashy colorful scenes more than Touma's falcon punch.
Different opinions for different folks I guess.
Though I do get the point that I haven't read the novels and all my basis is from the anime of both series. And I do like Index also.
isnt it practically the same staff though?
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 20:08   Link #722
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
isnt it practically the same staff though?
Rather different key staff for the anime. In particular the director and story planner were different for Railgun, and together they have a pretty big influence on the tone and direction of the show.

But anyway, this isn't a "vs." thread, so let's try to keep the discussion in this thread about the show proper.
Old 2011-02-22, 20:57   Link #723
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Rather different key staff for the anime. In particular the director and story planner were different for Railgun, and together they have a pretty big influence on the tone and direction of the show.

But anyway, this isn't a "vs." thread, so let's try to keep the discussion in this thread about the show proper.
It's not a vs I just thought animation would be the same. Then again not any important fights till now
Old 2011-02-23, 08:35   Link #724
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
It's not a vs I just thought animation would be the same. Then again not any important fights till now
In terms of animation and art I've noticed that Railgun gives more detail to the characters while Index gives more detail in backgrounds (Index II episode 6 and 19). So there is a difference in terms of key animators.

An interesting fact is that the director of Railgun is the one who directed Toradora and Honey and Clover II. Kinda weird...

Index director Hiroshi Nishikiori on the other hand is pretty much more experienced as he's been directing for along time. I'm quite surprised he directed Angelic Layer from the early 2000's.
Old 2011-02-23, 10:28   Link #725
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Index director Hiroshi Nishikiori on the other hand is pretty much more experienced as he's been directing for along time. I'm quite surprised he directed Angelic Layer from the early 2000's.
...and Azumanga Daioh.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 21:16   Link #726
TJR

Quote:
An interesting fact is that the director of Railgun is the one who directed Toradora and Honey and Clover II. Kinda weird...
Regarding Nagai's shows, Idolmaster Xenoglossia might be more notable. The same goes for Mai-Hime/Mai-Otome, which he worked on as an episode director.

Railgun aims for a similar sense of balance, combining moe, flashy action, friendship, and school life into a package that has something for everyone. People often bring up Honey & Clover II (a continuation of Kenichi Kasai's vision, albeit with a slightly difference focus) and Toradora!, but it's really the Sunrise shows that bear the most resemblance to what Nagai created with Railgun.

Quote:
Index director Hiroshi Nishikiori on the other hand is pretty much more experienced as he's been directing for along time.
He doesn't have nearly the same reputation though. Nagai is noted for some excellent storyboarding skills, as well as a tendency to recruit reputable freelancers for animation.

Given the uneven quality of Index II's production, I also wonder if the direction of Railgun (and Shana II) was in part a response to what the director knew to be a tight budget and/or schedule. If so, that's strong resource management on Nagai's part.

Last edited by TJR; 2011-02-23 at 21:40.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 11:01   Link #727
Frizo
Say what?

Is anybody else not getting as into Railgun as Index?
I got into Index like crazy, but this, I lost interest after the whole Level Upper arc.
Frizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 11:08   Link #728
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Anime or Manga? I love the Manga but I find myself constantly skipping through episodes in the Anime version (which has been transformed into something plain boring).
Old 2011-04-30, 11:21   Link #729
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Im not as interested as in index cuz besides 3/4 of the main characters of railgun and 1 side character the rest are boring as hell.
Old 2011-04-30, 12:03   Link #730
B2-Lancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizo View Post
I got into Index like crazy, but this, I lost interest after the whole Level Upper arc.
ONLY into the Accellerator-Last Order episodes -- whenever they come.
B2-Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 20:53   Link #731
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizo View Post
At least as far as the anime goes, they're different types of shows with completely different points of emphasis (in broad terms, I would say that Railgun is more about relationships, while Index is more about sci-fi and plot), so it's pretty common for people to prefer one style over the other. I personally think the two approaches complement each other, but everyone will have their preferences.
Old 2011-04-30, 21:52   Link #732
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

One thing that should be a rule in the Raildex threads anywhere is never start a shitstorm between Railgun and index. It always ends terrible. I mean terrible.
Old 2011-05-02, 18:07   Link #733
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Seconded. I really don't want to see an Index vs. Railgun fight again. Anti-Railgun fans argue that Railgun is pointless slice of life fanservice. Anti-Index fans argue that Index has an overly convulated plot. These fights always end in those arguments being repeated over and over, and they never get resolved.
Old 2011-05-02, 18:12   Link #734
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

We can form together and make Raildex
Old 2011-05-03, 11:15   Link #735
IppoTsuko
Acadamy City's Number One

Quote:
One thing that should be a rule in the Raildex threads anywhere is never start a shitstorm between Railgun and index. It always ends terrible. I mean terrible.
Did it even get to end in the first place?
Old 2011-11-19, 06:21   Link #736
HasuMasu
*Artist

Just started watching this without knowing anything about Index/Railgun beforehand.

Kinda confused, but I was able to survive Evangelion in 1 sitting so I'll figure this out...eventually.
Old 2011-11-19, 07:38   Link #737
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Kinda confused, but I was able to survive Evangelion in 1 sitting so I'll figure this out...eventually.
Not exactly the same thing...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 07:47   Link #738
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Not exactly the same thing...
Not exactly what I meant...
Old 2011-11-19, 08:12   Link #739
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Not exactly what I meant...
Well, not exactly the same case as Evangelion

Railgun is like chocolate, Index is like dark chocolate, while Evangelion is crude oil.

In any case, other than a few references, I recall that Railgun does a good job laying down the ground rules so it shouldn't be that hard to follow.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 10:52   Link #740
Eratas123

@ Box - Just don't start an argument about whether Railgun or Index is better. It always ends up devolving into an insulting match and character bashing.

If you want slice of life and more dynamic action: Railgun.

If you want more drama, sci-fi and more dark moments: Index.

Just choose what fits your preference best.

Tags
fantasy, seinen, shounen