AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-11-06, 14:52   Link #1101
Seiryuu

I wasn't saying that the girls were necessarily cheap, just that the accelerated pace makes it look a bit like they're jumping into bed with the guy once he says one thing cool or does something to show he cares. Plenty of men can put on a cool act that will last for a few days, it's tougher to maintain it long enough to develop a deeper bond that's more than the passion of the moment, unless it's not an act. Even if it's genuine, generally a girl(fictitious or not) wouldn't be that fast because she'd look cheap and you can't tell for sure he's not playing her.

This isn't to say that that's really the case with any of the girls' stories, just that rushing the story makes it look like that, especially since this guy has just moved in and occasionally visited in the past, rather than a resident that the girls have known for years. If he was a childhood friend that had always been there, then it would be a little different. Here, it would have been better imho if they'd been just a little lighter on the ero and made the characters wait at least an episode before groping each other in the nude (doesn't look like they actually did it yet).

And I'm not saying that Amagami is infinitely better either. It just gives the characters more time to reach that level. It still has some of the same problem; it seems like each relationship is getting more physical and less permanent.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-06, 15:34   Link #1102
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
So ...yeah. Is Sora's route canon ? Yes. As is Kazuha's, Akira's, etc.
I understand what you are trying to say, and I feel that there is some level of truth to it, but my idea of 'canon' is the single storyline that the author would continue from, should s/he create a sequel. Also, in regards to Kazuha's arc, it does not feel canon due to the abruptness of how it played out. It felt more like it was about Kazuha's understanding/accepting of her father rather than the romance between her and Haru, and that gives it a far less canonical feel than, say, focus on the relationship between Haru and girl x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
And I feel that so far, this version of the omnibus format is working brilliantly. It does not try to slowly paint a picture of each character, but sketches her in with a few deft strokes. On the other hand, I find Amagami disappointingly both slow and unfocused: it uses too many strokes and the wrong ones, so I personally end up seeing a fuzzy caricature rather than an actual person.
I have to agree with this, ESP the "slow and unfocused" part. I don't need to see Tachibana bumbling over most of the 4 episodes, acting like a buffoon, and being a typical male lead. It's both irritating and boring. The one thing I like about YnS is that once Haru knows what he wants, he goes after it, WITHOUT looking like an idiot. The Precious Diary manga seems to do this rather well too(to an extent, which i why I love it FAR more than the anime). It's like you can see Haru's desire to win the affections of the girl from the start.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-06, 15:39   Link #1103
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayn View Post
But most of those eroge use the "ero" quite well to show "development" between the protagonist and said girl. (a lot of eroge are just nukige though)

There's a big difference between just a "kiss" and finally "doing it" in an anime and it makes a bigger difference when it actually is shown and not left for people to wonder it they did it or not. (just look at the preorder sales of YnS )

In the end it's a matter of preference of which eroge company makes the ero work well in the plot in their games.
Although I never stated erotic content is void of development (I had a exhausting discussion with a member before, who thought there was no place for this kind of content), your answer has definitely nothing to do with mine: as the point is, there is nothing that supplement your point that you get erotic content in an adaptation because the original galge doesn't have an all age release.
Old 2010-11-06, 15:56   Link #1104
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
This is better than Amagami though, more intimacy between the leads, better drama, flow and storytelling, with all the crap cut out of it. Awesome ending.
Yes, I also like it better than Amagami
Another reason on top of that is that it doesn't always restart at the very same beginning again (as Amagami), but rather has different restarts, making it less repititive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Akira's FAR more lovable than Kazuha was.
Haru didn't do anything to Akira in the bath did he? I was under the impression that they did nothing but kiss, maybe some fondling, but not sex =0\.
I like Akira better as well
Considering how daring Akaira was, first entering the bath tub with him already in it, next guiding his hands to fondle her breats, then remarking how something hard is poking her back... I regard it as highly probable *that* they did have sex, probably initiated by Akira as well

Quote:
My personal take is that they did it more likely than not. Do i think either way changes how their relationship should be looked at ? Not really
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Bliss View Post
I wonder if i'm the only one who dislikes the fact they moved so damn quickly to having sex already
Yes
Akira had already had a long-time crush on him, so when he remembered and revealed that he liked he too, there was no holding back for her anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Plus he would have to be gay to refuse. We know he likes her and that's all it would take for a guy to go with the flow in a situation like that.
qft!
He would really have to be gay to refuse Akira.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, to be clear, some of the ero content in the anime wasn't even in the game to begin with, and what ero content there was in the game was spread over a much longer story. But they have to do something to differentiate themselves from all the other anime out there, so it's good to be unique in that sense. Notice how much more discussion this series has gotten than other eroge-based anime in recent memory.
They are definitely doing a fine job here in putting some ero content in the anime as well, it really does spice things up
Old 2010-11-06, 15:59   Link #1105
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I understand what you are trying to say, and I feel that there is some level of truth to it, but my idea of 'canon' is the single storyline that the author would continue from, should s/he create a sequel. Also, in regards to Kazuha's arc, it does not feel canon due to the abruptness of how it played out. It felt more like it was about Kazuha's understanding/accepting of her father rather than the romance between her and Haru, and that gives it a far less canonical feel than, say, focus on the relationship between Haru and girl x.
I can see what you are saying indeed, and i believe a lot of it has something to do with the very limited timeframe of the anime. Compressing a whole VN route in 2 episodes is simply insane, and there is a lot being lost in transition indeed. Looked at in this light, i don't think any of the arcs will truly "feel" canon - considering the usual pace of development we are used to seeing in anime, there is only so much that can be done with 2 episodes. We are talking about hours upon hours of interactions and development crammed in to ~40 minutes - i am not sure there even is a way to make it more compelling than what we saw, the director has a daunting task on his hands.

Still, originally there isn't any "one true end" - VN's just don't work on that concept, specific cases aside (Clannad for example). Yes, it doesn't take much to decipher Sora as the prominent female character, but that isn't what is going to nail her as the canon end. There simply isn't one And in a way, that is the very point of this adaptation format - to present things as they originally were (as much as they can in the timeframe), instead of artificially creating one ending by melding all the storylines, which is what usually happens with VNs-turned-anime. The very point is to avoid the discussion which was the "right" ending, because they all were, with devil being in the details. Sure, fans will have their favorites and business will go along as usual, but trying to nail down one "canon" end is the very antithesis of what this format is trying to accomplish - there not being one.
Old 2010-11-06, 21:41   Link #1106
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Bliss View Post
I wonder if i'm the only one who dislikes the fact they moved so damn quickly to having sex already, haha. I mean, they just really spent a day together and already? I didn't like it. At least there was development for Kazuha (<3), but for Akira, nnnn. Akira is just ok in my opinion. Kazuha remains my favorite for now along with Sora <3
You are not alone. And I prefer kazuha too. But I knew it from the beginning cause I prefer long hair and less cheerful behaviours. Anyways I found the bath part really out of place. But I guess they put that scene not for the plot sake but for the viewers Anyways it is not a big deal, we knew that the pace had to be fast due to the limited number of episodes, so no complains

I have to say that I love the atmosphere of this anime and if in the first episodes I thought similarities were only in my mind in this last episode akira walking on that wall and jumping down recall me with no doubts of noe of True Tears (one of my favorites series). And I read that i'm not the only one who got these vibes. And I'm impressed how they keep this atmosphere even if they have to speed up things.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 11:59   Link #1107
ZeKeR
Superbad

seriously... im gonna ask why a large thing has been forced into a small box. can they really finish the girls in one stroke here?
Old 2010-11-07, 15:57   Link #1108
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
seriously... im gonna ask why a large thing has been forced into a small box. can they really finish the girls in one stroke here?
Why not? They're doing a decent enough job so far. If you prefer to see it this way, think of it as 4 short OVA series shown back-to-back or something. You'll get the basic outline of each heroine's tale, and get to see the story from a bunch of alternate angles. It's not like an adaptation of a manga or of a novel; it's a branching multi-story adaptation of a branching multi-story game. To get the full "unabridged" story for any given heroine, you'll have to play the game.

So of course this won't be everyone's cup of tea (it's a very uncommon format, after all), but I don't think what they're doing lacks logic or anything. I highly doubt they could ever have gotten the green light for a show longer than 1 cour anyway.
Old 2010-11-07, 19:27   Link #1109
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Why not? They're doing a decent enough job so far. If you prefer to see it this way, think of it as 4 short OVA series shown back-to-back or something. You'll get the basic outline of each heroine's tale, and get to see the story from a bunch of alternate angles. It's not like an adaptation of a manga or of a novel; it's a branching multi-story adaptation of a branching multi-story game. To get the full "unabridged" story for any given heroine, you'll have to play the game.

So of course this won't be everyone's cup of tea (it's a very uncommon format, after all), but I don't think what they're doing lacks logic or anything. I highly doubt they could ever have gotten the green light for a show longer than 1 cour anyway.
so this isnt a full omnibus format but another version of it? they basically just stuffed first the character bios and slowly jammed each big character item into that small box and hope it wont have a jack-in-the-box effect
Old 2010-11-07, 20:44   Link #1110
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
so this isnt a full omnibus format but another version of it? they basically just stuffed first the character bios and slowly jammed each big character item into that small box and hope it wont have a jack-in-the-box effect
Nice image, but there's no "jack-in-the-box effect" (in my opinion), because they are doing it so well. This show gives me more of a feeling of each girl than Amagami does in twice as many episodes. They don't really separate them completely, but intertwine the prologues, in a way.

The only thing I found fault with was how all the girls seemed to love Haru before he even arrived, but now I know why they did it that way, and can accept it. Akira and Nao had history with him. In the case of Kazuha, however, he fell in love with her and won her over before our eyes by understanding and sympathizing with her, as well as by being the strong and positive guy he is.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 23:49   Link #1111
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I don't know what not being a "full omnibus format" means, but I will challenge that assertion in this way: this show fits just as much if not more content and character development in its branching arc format than Amagami SS does in its 4-episode "complete reset" format. The only difference is that the content here is more densely packed, whereas Amagami SS moves at a more leisurely pace.

The execution is way too deliberate to "explode". If you find it too confusing, then do as they'll do on the Blu-Rays and re-watch the common episodes before the branch episodes (i.e. rewatch episodes 1 & 2 before watching 5) and you'll see that everything is connected.
Old 2010-11-08, 02:28   Link #1112
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Nice image, but there's no "jack-in-the-box effect" (in my opinion), because they are doing it so well. This show gives me more of a feeling of each girl than Amagami does in twice as many episodes.
This is a good point, and one i can readily agree with. While the episodes are quite packed and developments have to be rushed, establishing a distinct feel for the characters is something the show manages quite well. I guess that is why i can still enjoy it, despite everything moving at a break-neck pace - despite the pace, i still have a good "feel" for the characters and their personalities, so can fill in the blanks, so to speak.
Old 2010-11-08, 07:05   Link #1113
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
This is a good point, and one i can readily agree with. While the episodes are quite packed and developments have to be rushed, establishing a distinct feel for the characters is something the show manages quite well. I guess that is why i can still enjoy it, despite everything moving at a break-neck pace - despite the pace, i still have a good "feel" for the characters and their personalities, so can fill in the blanks, so to speak.
Agree as well. They do give a good feel for the girls, better than Amagami, which has double as much episodes, but reaches only a half-as-good result
Old 2010-11-08, 07:56   Link #1114
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I feel the same way as well. The directing in Yosuga is way better than in Amagami, and that makes all the difference (plus, as I said in the omnibus vs united thread, this might be because of the original material as well). It's just as rushed, yet they still manage to tell a proper story and make us feel something. The only thing Amagami makes me feel is my palm on my face, most of the time. That said, I do enjoy Amagami for what it is: a fun and very simplistic romance show.
Old 2010-11-08, 10:58   Link #1115
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for YnS 06 - Creative Camera Angles and You:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 11:37   Link #1116
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

MUGYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Spoiler for Episode 6 of Yosuga no Sora:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2010-11-08 at 12:15. Reason: shrunk the size of the exclamation a bit ^^;;;
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 12:55   Link #1117
z3phyr.mp3
:love: Tsukasa :love:
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to z3phyr.mp3
mugyuuuu

wow with just 2 episodes they really ended akira's arc well..

so next week we're going to have sora-now shared ep..
i wonder if they'll change the continuation of the cliffhanger in episode 1 since basically ep 7 will be the 2nd episode of the sora-now arcs..
z3phyr.mp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 14:11   Link #1118
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i haven't seen the ep yet, but i really wish they gave Akira more time. i think they could have dove a lot deeper into past, especially with her personality.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 15:16   Link #1119
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Ep6 was another really good episode. It's amazing how much plot and emotion they can pack in to 24 minutes. More time isn't really needed, in my opinion, although you do have to stay alert to catch everything, and have to accept that people's emotional trajectories can seem pretty quick. I think you can take into account emotional development during off-screen time.
Spoiler for ep6:
Mugyu!
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-11-08 at 15:32.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 15:43   Link #1120
Slayn

Quote:
Spoiler for ep 6:
Spoiler for game comparison:
Slayn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, eroge, romance, seinen, visual novel adaptation