AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-01-13, 01:46   Link #2681
The Green One

*reads a translation of achiga 18* Lol.....Ryukka's thighs really are absorbing Toki power, the translation confirms it!
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 04:53   Link #2682
morli

Awai second power...Doesn't it look a lot like Koromo?

From the recent raw, she declare double riichi without yaku at all. That's only worth 2 or 3 han without dora. Not much point for the supposed fearsome ability...

But Shiraitodai team say there will be more of it than it seems. Although to increase her han value she must get ippatsu, haitei raoyue, rinshan kaiho, or more dora...

If it's ippatsu, Shizu won't be able to counter it, so this is unlikely.

If it's haitei raoyue, Shizu already have many experience with it from Koromo, thus she can counter it easily (Hotei raoyui maybe?).

If it's rinshan kaiho, well, Saki will have a rival. Shizu can counter it with Chankan I think.

If it's dora...Kan can give Awai more dora, but Shizu battle Kuro all time already. She is experienced with this.

Last edited by morli; 2013-01-13 at 05:29.
morli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 05:21   Link #2683
thenightsshadow

Called the Double Riichi.

Speaking of which, I don't think that the point value is what's fearsome. Saki's small Rinshan Kaihous are still fearsome. Rather, I'd think you'd feel some fear if you were facing an opponent that you felt could Double Riichi every game. I think that's the ominous or fearsome part.
thenightsshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 05:22   Link #2684
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by morli View Post
Awai second power...Doesn't it look a lot like Koromo?

From the recent raw, she declare double riichi without yaku at all. That's only worth 2 or 3 han without dora. Not much point for the supposed fearsome ability...

But Shiraitodai team say there will be more of it than it seems. But to increase her han value she must get haitei raoyue, rinshan kaiho, or more dora right?

If it's haitei raoyue, Shizu already have many experience with it from Koromo, thus she can counter it easily (maybe Hotei raoyui?).
I sincerely doubt that Awai will be getting Haitei. Haitei means winning on the last tile and unless it is combined with Koromo's tenpai hell, it is not a very good yaku to aim for because chances are someone would already won before you reached the last tile.

You can also forget rinshan; that is Saki's gimmick. Unless Ritz-sensei wants to go with the replacement goldfish route I doubt that will happen. Besides, rinshan kaihou (the flower that blooms at the top of the mountain ) doesn't fit Awai's motif. Instead of rinshan or haitei, it is more likely that Awai will be getting the ura dora caused by her riichi. This would cause her hand score to explode (like a supernova) which fits her theme more.

To be honest, I'm glad that Awai's ability is not totally lame as initially suspected. Her 5-6 shanten combined with her double riichi will make her a fearsome opponent since she slows her opponents hands while her double riichi speeds her own considerably. And if what I suspect about her getting ura dora is true - Awai's hand would also be high scoring.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 05:26   Link #2685
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Oi oi, if her ability is around ura dora then woulnd't it be bad for Saki if she keeps spamming kan? And it's not like Kuro too since we can't see what the ura dora is and try to build your hands accordingly.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 06:09   Link #2686
night_sentinel

With Awai's true power revealed. I now think that she is worthy of the monster player title - like Koromo her abilities really has a good synergy.

On the other hand, I still don't think that Saki would be in trouble if she plays 100%. Well, more than necessary.

The thing about Awai's double riichi is it essentially locks her hands down. And if I have to make a list on ways how to survive a mahjong battle against Saki, one of the top things I'll put is to never lock your hands. With Saki's table control locking your hands is a very bad idea and may be asking for a set-up for a direct hit. Just look at what happened to Toyone.

Anyway, the problem here is how long Awai will be getting her winning tile after she called a double riichi. The worse case scenario would be next turn. Lol
I do believe, even Saki would have a hard time with that.

Though, even if this is the case, Saki has a way out of it. If Saki manages to survive that by hypothetically calling to change the draw order so Awai will not win next turn. Then, it is only matter of time before Saki strikes back since Awai is essentially dead on the water with her riichi. I think this would fit Awai a lot since like her namesake she is incredibly strong at first but she fades as time goes on or as the turn of the match goes on. Of course, the problem here is surviving her onslaught which is a tall order for most players.

Anyway, this is against Saki who is canonically really really broken. Currently I believe most of the players at the table is screwed especially if Awai is going to win next turn.
Old 2013-01-13, 06:10   Link #2687
Bladezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
Oi oi, if her ability is around ura dora then woulnd't it be bad for Saki if she keeps spamming kan? And it's not like Kuro too since we can't see what the ura dora is and try to build your hands accordingly.
No, no, you forget that Saki wins most of the time with Rinshan Kaihou, meaning that if she calls multiple Kans in and exposes Kan dora, she will still win the hand.

Also Awai getting double riichi actually would be a nice compliment to her 5-6 shaten.
Bladezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 06:27   Link #2688
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
No, no, you forget that Saki wins most of the time with Rinshan Kaihou, meaning that if she calls multiple Kans in and exposes Kan dora, she will still win the hand.
Oh yeah I forgot that still, she pretty much needs to do Rinshan before Awai daburu richii explode huh..

Maybe we can look at it differently and say that Awai might hold similar power like Teru and Saki where she needs to build up before getting bigger han. Maybe at first it's daburu riichi with one yaku, and then 2 yaku etc etc. It's like growing star that will explode when it reaches yakuman hands

..eh, forget that. I think that kind of ability lack creativity since we've seen Teru did it. Let's just see how her abilities will unfold in the next chapter.

Old 2013-01-13, 07:19   Link #2689
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezer View Post
If we assume the worst case scenario and Awai will win on the next turn she declared her double riichi. It is impossible for Saki to get a rinshan kaihou before Awai wins. This is because of the 5-6 shanten that would prevent it. Saki can get her rinshan kaihou in one turn when she is around 3 shanten. So 2 turns must pass a the very least and then Saki can rinshan all she wants.

Of course this assumes the worst case scenario and it is possible that Awai get normal draws after her double riichi meaning it is not guaranteed she will win next turn. That would make Saki's job easier though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post

Maybe we can look at it differently and say that Awai might hold similar power like Teru and Saki where she needs to build up before getting bigger han. Maybe at first it's daburu riichi with one yaku, and then 2 yaku etc etc. It's like growing star that will explode when it reaches yakuman hands
That is also possible but as you've noted it is very similar to Teru. Oh well... at least well find out what Awai is about next issue.
Old 2013-01-14, 06:34   Link #2690
morli

Ura dora...never thought of that possibility. I thought she will get hidden kan dora previously, because her hand lack point. But Ura dora seems likely, and it's original, unlike kan.

But how will Shizu counter it? Assuming Akado sensei devise strategy to counter Awai, and Shizu has ability to execute it, it must be not as simple as 'Ron'.
Old 2013-01-15, 03:17   Link #2691
night_sentinel

Achiga 18 is out. Thanks once again to /u/ scanlations for their hard work.

http://www.mediafire.com/?qqk8duo5sy17zeq

Morli as for what Akado's plan is... I have absolutely no idea.
Though, I sincerely hope that is not some sort of 'tell' that only Akado could see. I already had a hard time swallowing Sumire's tell and that one at least has several match records that they can analyze.
Old 2013-01-15, 04:00   Link #2692
The Green One

Sumire's tell is not something only Akado could see, as the chapter mentioned she had gotten a bunch of high res videos of Sumire's matches and watched them over and over again. Shiratodai's players only had the limited amount of time of the first half of Sumire's match to try to find her tell and just simply didn't have enough time to do it.

I'm sure with enough time and effort they would figure it out, they just didn't have that luxury. Now assuming Achiga makes it, Sumire will be far more wary of Yuu in the finals and may have a way around the counter Akado came up with.

As for the plan for Shizu? No idea either, but lets give it a chance and see what chapter 19 brings us. I'm sure there will be something different, no telling how much it'll bend the suspension of belief, but we already have mahjong superpowers so it can't be any crazier then what we already see.
Old 2013-01-15, 04:45   Link #2693
night_sentinel

Perhaps I misspoke, the thing that made Sumire's tell dubious to me is not why Akado can see it but why is she the only one who can see it or exploited it.

Sumire probably has a lot of records to analyze and I'm pretty sure because of Shiraitodai's champion status there are a lot of people who are willing to research and analyze them. Why is it that not one of those people found this tell? It can't be because Achiga has a pro coach we have seen that that is not the case - a lot of teams like Senriyama (Mama Atago), Himematsu(Akasaka and other affiliated pros like Kainou) has pro coaches.

Its not really a big deal breaker for me. But, I really don't like that development and hope that it won't be repeated.
Old 2013-01-15, 05:25   Link #2694
fukarming

Awai's ability speculation:

Since you can still kan by closed quad after you richi, maybe Awai will kan on her next turn and get lots of dora. It will also make it very dangerous to Saki since there can only a maximum of 4 kan in a game so Saki cannot spam Kans like she used to.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 05:41   Link #2695
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Sumire probably has a lot of records to analyze and I'm pretty sure because of Shiraitodai's champion status there are a lot of people who are willing to research and analyze them. Why is it that not one of those people found this tell? It can't be because Achiga has a pro coach we have seen that that is not the case - a lot of teams like Senriyama (Mama Atago), Himematsu(Akasaka and other affiliated pros like Kainou) has pro coaches.
People will undoubtedly focused more on her mahjong ability compared to her body movement of course

Seriously though, it's already weird for Akado to actually see Sumire's body instead of her mahjong. I don't think even another coach would be able to see that easily. Oh and have you forgotten that the tell itself only happened possibly less than one second?

If there's anything weird going on here it's not about why about why other team haven't noticed it... it's how Akado could see it in the first place.

Old 2013-01-15, 06:32   Link #2696
The Green One

There's also the fact that there's not much reason to look at Sumire's hand movements which were pretty slight to begin with, when not looking at her mahjong tiles you'd probably focus on Sumire's face and expressions, which Akado mentioned isn't enough unless you include the hand movement as well.

As we are the audience these things are pointed out to us, but for the players I'm sure Sumire's movements are far more subtle, unless you know what you're looking for they're a lot harder to notice.

Personally I think it just comes down to our individual tastes about what's believable or not. I think the main thing we were supposed to take away from this is that Akado is devoted to seeing her wards succeed and is working hard to try to help bring them there, since her earlier "efforts" weren't directly shown to us beyond more then a general sense.

But again ultimately this all comes down to personal opinion I feel.
Old 2013-01-15, 09:17   Link #2697
darkchez11

hmmm... I wonder what's gonna happened if saki can't kan like she used to do?

or if there's someone who actually counter or stop her +/- ability

would that mean we will see another side of her?

Spoiler for just a hunch:

Last edited by darkchez11; 2013-01-15 at 11:51.
darkchez11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 01:12   Link #2698
teja208
Critical fanboy

The power of yuri bonding had never been this apparent in Saki. It's amazing! It's beautiful! It's subara! (Just look at Subara's eyes)

Really, it's saddens me to think that the power from those bondings aren't strong enough to break Shiraitodal and Achiga plot armors. Gah, if only we can get something like this in the final instead of here.

With this knowledge, Ryuuka should've just let Toki have her way as much as she wants, I bet Toki must be asking for more than just lap nap for a while now, so that she can also see her opponents' hands as well. At least I'm sure there are serveral doujins covering those topics by now, you know, for the sake of powering up Ryuuka.

EDIT: is there a shorter name for TokiRyuuka's power?

Last edited by teja208; 2013-01-16 at 01:29.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 01:42   Link #2699
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Really, it's saddens me to think that the power from those bondings aren't strong enough to break Shiraitodal and Achiga plot armors. Gah, if only we can get something like this in the final instead of here.
The finals are obviously meant to be focused on Teru and Saki's past being finally revealed, no time for love. For those who want to see some yuri power in the main series, Usuzan is the only hope left. We have to believe in the power of the catholic school setting.

Quote:
Love
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 06:01   Link #2700
Marina2

Quote:

What is the long name version

For shorter name : Kokoro Connect

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri