AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-23, 15:19   Link #581
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

I've tried every single PreCure series and non of it clicked with me, even when I could see why others thought they were great (Heartcatch). I think there is something about the formula that just doesn't work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momobunny View Post
I have no issues with the genre... if I did I'd just write off every magical girl anime without giving it a chance (which is something I never do for some reason), it's like that with everything for me. I'm picky and so I have the same issue with just about every single genre out there, there will be one or two works that I'll love from a particular genre while the rest of it doesn't interest me at all. I thought that was normal.
Right there with you on this. I tend to avoid shoujo, but if it peeks my interest, I'll give it a chance and see if I like it.
Old 2013-01-23, 15:43   Link #582
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It's not unusual for a novel concept to have only so much applicablitiy since they're treading new ground. However, I don't think that your assessment is very fair: SuperS is pretty good even though it's obvious that Ikuhara was told to tone down his weird ideas, and Stars features some of the very best Sailor Moon.
Even if the number of fillers was low (about 14 if I recall correctly) I remember them well because nothing.really.happened in those episodes. Not to mention the whole attack that lasted about a min or so, much longer than in previous series. Also I didn't like Chibiusa much, and its role in SuperS was way too much for my tastes.
I don't agree with Stars. It felt they were trying new directions without a clear goal. Not to mention I remember an interview with Takeuchi in which (in a very polite way) was very disappointed with the anime version of the Starlights.

Quote:
Toei did pretty well with Ojamajo Doremi, and that came out two years after Stars wrapped up.
I wouldn't call it that similar though. They didn't really touch the genre with something similar to SM till Precure, mostly.
IIRC Toei wasn't in "good" shape (relatively speaking) a few years after SM ended. I'm not sure if Cutey Honey F ended up profitable or not, but image-wise, it backfired in a way they didn't predict at all (again, an interview with Toei I managed to read back then mentions it).

Quote:
Would they go with old Sailor Moon hands, or are we finally going to see Usagi as written by Okada Mari?
As long as Takeuchi doesn't get the final say, I'd be ok even with that.
Old 2013-01-23, 16:42   Link #583
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Just to be clear I'm not saying Toei isn't a logical fit,just don't want people to be shocked if it turns out it's not Toei producing it.
If the new Sailor Moon is a 4+ cour series as most of us expect, there aren't all that many other candidates to produce it. Other than Toei, I can think of Pierrot, Sunrise and Bones, and that's really about it. I supposed a series with a split release is possible, but it doesn't seem to be the kind of strategy that's appropriate for Sailor Moon.

Quote:
JAnd you're right,what really counts is the people,with that said the Okada Mari allusion wasn't funny the first time and it's still not funny
Kidding aside, Okada Mari can do a good job if she's paired up with a director with a strong vision for the finished product (Aoki Ei in Hourou Musuko) or who can out-crazy her (Kawamori Shoji in Aquarion Evol and AKB0048). She's also considered one of the hotest writers in anime right now, so it's not an entirely implausible choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
I've tried every single PreCure series and non of it clicked with me, even when I could see why others thought they were great (Heartcatch). I think there is something about the formula that just doesn't work for me.
Precure is designed primarily for Japanese girls 8-12, so it isn't unusual if older teens or adults don't find the shows interesting. There is a large secondary market for those shows, but it's always been children-first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
I don't agree with Stars. It felt they were trying new directions without a clear goal. Not to mention I remember an interview with Takeuchi in which (in a very polite way) was very disappointed with the anime version of the Starlights.
Takeuchi was probably disappointed because Igarashi ignored her and mostly did his own thing with those characters. Seiya was a pretty darned good character, so I'd say it worked. The first six episodes of Stars was great, and the last few episodes deliver one of the best finales in anime.

Quote:
I wouldn't call it that similar though. They didn't really touch the genre with something similar to SM till Precure, mostly.
IIRC Toei wasn't in "good" shape (relatively speaking) a few years after SM ended. I'm not sure if Cutey Honey F ended up profitable or not, but image-wise, it backfired in a way they didn't predict at all (again, an interview with Toei I managed to read back then mentions it).
The directors of Ojamajo Doremi are Igarashi Takuya and Sato Junichi. It really doesn't get any more Sailor Moon than that.

Quote:
As long as Takeuchi doesn't get the final say, I'd be ok even with that.
I don't think that Takeuchi has ever had the final say for any version of Sailor Moon other than the manga. I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of the live action or the theater versions, but she certainly didn't have much influence in the anime.
Old 2013-01-23, 17:23   Link #584
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Takeuchi was probably disappointed because Igarashi ignored her and mostly did his own thing with those characters. Seiya was a pretty darned good character, so I'd say it worked. The first six episodes of Stars was great, and the last few episodes deliver one of the best finales in anime.
In the interview she basically said she didn't like what they did with the portrayal of the Starlights, since she said they were always females.
I wouldn't call the finale "best". Like the rest of Stars, it really dragged on and it was "Usagi single handedly saves everyone" again. It happened in almost all the series before, I would have liked another approach.

Quote:
I don't think that Takeuchi has ever had the final say for any version of Sailor Moon other than the manga. I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of the live action or the theater versions, but she certainly didn't have much influence in the anime.
It's rumored (but the truth will never be known) that she was the one that blocked the rights of the anime for a long time.
Old 2013-01-23, 19:57   Link #585
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Kidding aside, Okada Mari can do a good job if she's paired up with a director with a strong vision for the finished product (Aoki Ei in Hourou Musuko) or who can out-crazy her (Kawamori Shoji in Aquarion Evol and AKB0048). She's also considered one of the hotest writers in anime right now, so it's not an entirely implausible choice.
Kidding aside I'm the admin of the Okada social group on this forum and thread starter of the Okada thread so believe me I quite like the woman but there's other writers out there and I feel they should get a shot too, Okada's already had her hands in a couple of big name remakes with Kenshin and Lupin III.
Old 2013-01-23, 21:48   Link #586
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
I wouldn't call the finale "best".
I would.
I loved the hell out of Stars. It will always be my favorite season! That finale was amazing~ *.* It was everything you could expect a finale to be....and it was a lot better than the manga one....which was really.....quite odd. >_>
(I'm talking about what happened with Galaxia, of course. Not the wedding. )
Old 2013-01-23, 22:55   Link #587
4Tran

Quote:
I wouldn't call the finale "best". Like the rest of Stars, it really dragged on and it was "Usagi single handedly saves everyone" again. It happened in almost all the series before, I would have liked another approach.
I know. It was totally great! I wish that most anime final battles could be a quarter as good as Stars.

Quote:
It's rumored (but the truth will never be known) that she was the one that blocked the rights of the anime for a long time.
Unsubstantiated rumors are basically worthless. In any case, she had very little creative control over the anime. I think that all Takeuchi did was write lyrics for the theme song, and it was pretty good.

Quote:
Kidding aside I'm the admin of the Okada social group on this forum and thread starter of the Okada thread so believe me I quite like the woman but there's other writers out there and I feel they should get a shot too, Okada's already had her hands in a couple of big name remakes with Kenshin and Lupin III.
Cool stuff. It's a bit of a shame that Okada gets unfairly maligned at times. I have heard some dire things about the Legend of Fujiko Mine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I would.
I loved the hell out of Stars. It will always be my favorite season! That finale was amazing~ *.* It was everything you could expect a finale to be....and it was a lot better than the manga one....which was really.....quite odd. >_>
Precisely. They threw in about a dozen different kinds of attacks against the main villain. Most of these would be the ones that would win the day in lesser shows - power of friendship, using the villain's power, team attacks, and so on, but Sailor Moon in the end wasn't about any of that. It's probably in my top 3 final battles in anime.

I don't really rewatch Sailor Moon all that often, but if I do, it's probably the final episodes of Stars.
Old 2013-01-23, 22:58   Link #588
Chiibi

Quote:

I don't really rewatch Sailor Moon all that often, but if I do, it's probably the final episodes of Stars.
Hehe ditto!! XD I've probably watched those episodes more times than all the other subbed ones put together!
........I still have VKLL's fansub on VHS!! o_o TWO copies. I'd take them out during slumber parties in high school.
Imagine, a bunch of 15-year-old girls in pajamas staying up to 6 a.m. watching Usagi, Chibi Chibi and the Starlights fight Galaxia.
Glorious times, those were!
How I miss them....
Old 2013-01-24, 00:15   Link #589
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
I would.
I think it summed up everything that went wrong with that series. I remember thinking "Well, that's it?" after I watched for the first time.

Quote:
Unsubstantiated rumors are basically worthless. In any case, she had very little creative control over the anime. I think that all Takeuchi did was write lyrics for the theme song, and it was pretty good.
I think there's something true behind this though.
I never liked Moonlight Densetsu. And I still don't like it now.
Old 2013-01-24, 00:38   Link #590
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
If the new Sailor Moon is a 4+ cour series as most of us expect, there aren't all that many other candidates to produce it. Other than Toei, I can think of Pierrot, Sunrise and Bones, and that's really about it. I supposed a series with a split release is possible, but it doesn't seem to be the kind of strategy that's appropriate for Sailor Moon.
Does anyone really believe that this remake will be 4+ cours? With how the industry is these days I just can't see it getting 4+ cours. Nor do I particularly think that it needs 4+ cours. The manga itself was only 18 volumes, after all. A succinct adaptation of the plot geared toward character development over run-time can be accomplished in less than four cours.

Of course if Toei simply wants to milk the franchise some more for the purpose of merchandise sales then maybe it will have 4+ cours. I just don't honestly think the monster-of-the-week format of the original would work now.

And personally, while I would consider myself a Sailor Moon fan, my interest nearly withered on the vine when I watched the live-action reinterpretation. There were certain elements of that version that I enjoyed, but the super sentai live-action style didn't work for me at all. I dearly hope that this new adaptation will wash away the somewhat bitter taste that left in my mouth
Old 2013-01-24, 01:26   Link #591
Chiibi

Quote:
I think it summed up everything that went wrong with that series.
Such as?
Brand-new kick-ass theme song, cheesy Tuxedo Kamen wasn't around, Usagi showed maturity, all the villains were adorable, and cutie-pie Chibi Chibi replaced that obnoxious brat, Chibi-Usa.

Things were not more right with the world. Stars is the best season!!

Quote:
I never liked Moonlight Densetsu. And I still don't like it now.
Naoko wrote the Sailor Stars theme song and it's one of the best opening songs I've ever heard! I actually get chills when I watch the sequence...even now.
Old 2013-01-24, 02:17   Link #592
Sakuya
*Artist

I'd be really disappointed if they are only remaking the first season's story like with the live action... There's only so many times that I can watch Usagi finding her pals and fighting with Queen Beryl. If only the entire series was done in the tone of the S season (or Stars), it'll be so awesome! More Hotaru screen time would be nice too...
Old 2013-01-24, 02:22   Link #593
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
I'd be really disappointed if they are only remaking the first season's story like with the live action... There's only so many times that I can watch Usagi finding her pals and fighting with Queen Beryl. If only the entire series was done in the tone of the S season (or Stars), it'll be so awesome! More Hotaru screen time would be nice too...
Actually, I don't mind which season they'll do though a new story is good as long as Mamoru is there for back up. shouting in his Tuxedo Mask Costume biting a rose," Sailormoon, when there is love, there is hope.. Sailormoon, faito!!!!"..

*Usagi blushes and faints

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-01-24 at 02:32.
Old 2013-01-24, 02:27   Link #594
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
I just don't honestly think the monster-of-the-week format of the original would work now.
And you base this on what exactly?
Let me just point you to most other shows Toei are still doing to this very day and you'll find that the format works just fine.
Old 2013-01-24, 05:32   Link #595
4Tran

Quote:
Imagine, a bunch of 15-year-old girls in pajamas staying up to 6 a.m. watching Usagi, Chibi Chibi and the Starlights fight Galaxia.
Glorious times, those were!
How I miss them....
It really helped that Mitsuishi Kotono's acting was really good by that point and that Galaxia was such an effective menacing villain. It's too bad that "Galaxia Gorgeous" only showed up in Seramyu (although there would have been no way to fit it into the anime) (Yes, I'm listening to it right now - don't judge me! ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalena View Post
Does anyone really believe that this remake will be 4+ cours? With how the industry is these days I just can't see it getting 4+ cours. Nor do I particularly think that it needs 4+ cours. The manga itself was only 18 volumes, after all. A succinct adaptation of the plot geared toward character development over run-time can be accomplished in less than four cours.
Your arguments have quite a bit of merit if we were talking about an otaku show. However, the original Sailor Moon was a children's show, and the new one will be one as well. Sailor Moon skews a little older than Precure's 8-12 target audience, but only by a couple of years. In this context, 4-cour shows are commonplace, as is the monster of the week format. You can see it everywhere from the Precures to the Saint Seiya remake and the Sentai shows.

It is possible that the new show will be a 2-cour production. But they're going all out to pursue a worldwide release and they announced the production a full year in advance. This suggests that it's going to be more substantial than that. Saint Seiya seems to be the closest model being followed here (which suggests Toei even more).
Old 2013-01-24, 22:42   Link #596
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
And you base this on what exactly?
Let me just point you to most other shows Toei are still doing to this very day and you'll find that the format works just fine.
Well, it depends on what demographic Toei is aiming at. Are they simply trying to milk the franchise for whatever it might still be worth in terms of character goods? If that's the case then yes, I suppose a long-running monster-of-the-week type format could work. However, I'm not convinced that this is what Toei is doing with this remake.

Although this is just be my wishful thinking, but I would like to hope that this project is going to be aimed at both the existing fan base and potential newcomers. What would appeal to the former wouldn't necessarily appeal to the latter. Just think of how fans latch onto shows in one season and dump them the very next when something new comes along. It may be that the community has always been like this, but of late the attention span (and memory) of anime fans seems to be even shorter than usual. This may just be my perspective so I'm prepared to be wrong

Quote:
Your arguments have quite a bit of merit if we were talking about an otaku show. However, the original Sailor Moon was a children's show, and the new one will be one as well. Sailor Moon skews a little older than Precure's 8-12 target audience, but only by a couple of years. In this context, 4-cour shows are commonplace, as is the monster of the week format. You can see it everywhere from the Precures to the Saint Seiya remake and the Sentai shows.

It is possible that the new show will be a 2-cour production. But they're going all out to pursue a worldwide release and they announced the production a full year in advance. This suggests that it's going to be more substantial than that. Saint Seiya seems to be the closest model being followed here (which suggests Toei even more).
You're quite right, of course. Given that I don't exactly fall into that demographic I have been sorely remiss in keeping up with what Toei has been doing recently. I had all but forgotten the Precure series which I know is incredibly popular. Thank you for reminding me

However, like I said in my response to Daniel Lind, I'm not convinced that Toei will strictly target only that demographic. Given that they are pursuing a world-wide release suggests that they're well aware of their fan base so they must know that a considerable portion of that skews much older. And, as we all know, companies never hesitate to target those who have buying power. I can't imagine that Toei would simply ignore those people.

That's why I don't think they'll follow the same exact model as before. I'm not saying that they can't incorporate a whole slew of festive monsters, but I don't think they'll do it the same way as before. This is, after all, a new adaptation for a new era.

I, too, would prefer that they skew more along the lines of the S series (or even Stars!). Does anyone have a rough breakdown of how financially successful each season was?
Old 2013-01-25, 03:15   Link #597
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Don't cover your eyes or close the tab... even run away...

Old 2013-01-25, 10:21   Link #598
4Tran

Quote:
However, like I said in my response to Daniel Lind, I'm not convinced that Toei will strictly target only that demographic. Given that they are pursuing a world-wide release suggests that they're well aware of their fan base so they must know that a considerable portion of that skews much older. And, as we all know, companies never hesitate to target those who have buying power. I can't imagine that Toei would simply ignore those people.
Modern Precure already satisfies this demographic. While the primary audience is young girls, there's also a strong secondary audience of adult men. Toei is well aware of this, which probably is why the production values are so high. Sailor Moon is a bit different in that it's probably going to try to capture adult women who may have grown up watching the original series.

Quote:
That's why I don't think they'll follow the same exact model as before. I'm not saying that they can't incorporate a whole slew of festive monsters, but I don't think they'll do it the same way as before. This is, after all, a new adaptation for a new era.
Time has moved on, and the new Sailor Moon is going to be a bit different because of that. I would imagine that Precure and Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon show the kind of directions the show will take.
Old 2013-01-25, 18:21   Link #599
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Can someone sum up what we actually know as fact please?
Old 2013-01-25, 18:24   Link #600
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There will be a new Sailor Moon production in 2013.
At least a few of the original voice actors are involved in some way.
Momoiro Clover Z will be doing a cover of Moonlight Densetsu.

Tags
remake, shoujo