AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-12, 23:32   Link #1
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Jewelpet / Tinkle / Sunshine / Kira Deco / Happiness / Lady

A 9:30 am Sunday show tied in to a line of jewel-eyed stuffed toys from Sanrio and Sega. But it's actually not bad.

In a magical country called Jewel Land live little animals which are also jewels. One day, all but one of these "Jewelpets" are accidentally dropped out of the sky in jewel form and fall to Earth. The remaining Jewelpet, called Ruby, is dispatched by the Queen to find them.

On Earth, a girl called Rinko is worrying about having to give her class's graduation address. As she stands on her balcony looking up at the stars, a shooting star falls to earth -- right beside her. This is Ruby, who becomes her companion and gives her the courage to speak.

So it's not War & Peace, but it is actually a fairly good show of it kind, almost watchable. There is some romance. Maybe not so far beneath Shugo Chara, as a show.

The show is a vehicle for Morning Musume idol Kamei Eri, who is clearly an untrained voice, but who got better between eps one and two, so there is hope. Some good seiyuu names are also involved: Sawashiro Miyuki, Hirano Aya, Sasaki Nozomi, Miyano Mamoru. And singer/actress Akina does a decent job, too.

This is the first directorial job for Sasaki Nanako, but she has a good writer, Maekawa Jun (Prince of Tennis).

cast: the main characters are pairs of girl plus Jewelpet:
Rinko (Kamei Eri) and Ruby (Saitou Ayaka)
Minami (Akina) and Garnet (Hirano Aya)
Aoi (Sawashiro Miyuki) and Sapphire (Sasaki Nozomi)

staff:
director: Sasaki Nanako (first directorial job)
writer: Maekawa Jun (Prince of Tennis, Sisters of Wellber, Fresh Precure).
animation: Studio Comet. chara-des: Miyakawa Tomoko (Onegai My Melody).
52eps.
Japanese title: ジュエルペット

I've watched and enjoyed the first two episodes. Hirano Aya is good, and gives us a new voice as Garnet. I am very much looking forward to ep3, which introduces top seiyuu Sawashiro Miyuki as Aoi, and Sasaki Nozomi, whose burbling lisp I just love, as Sapphire.

YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-04-15 at 22:15.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 23:49   Link #2
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Looks like a decent magical girl show for the kids. Probably above animesuki's average age though.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 11:52   Link #3
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I thought I download this since I got to baby sit my 3 year old brother, and it's a nice safe anime for him to watch. Wow the morning musume girl is doing very well for first episode, MUCH MUCH better then Kusumi with Kirarin. Definately a untrained voice, but for someone who never did any seiyuu work, I say its amazing. It does feel like she's acting and not just screaming all the time. On the other hand, Akina could do with some improvements.

My reaction to the episode

HONEY-SEMPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAI
TAMAMKI-SEMPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAI/KID-KUUUUUUUUN
KONO-CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Obviously made by the same team as Onegai My Melody, definately hoping there's a couple as cute as Kakeru and Uta. From the look of the opening, there is a guy thats around the same age as Rinko, and I hope he IS a tsundere.
Old 2009-04-15, 10:00   Link #4
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
For the type of series, it's meant to be it's not half-bad. That being said, I'll probably wait until I get a good idea what all three girls are like first. Then I'll decide how I feel about watching this long term. By three girls, I mean the human leads.
Old 2009-04-15, 10:23   Link #5
animekritik

I'm watching the 1st episode raw and I'm a bit confused as to the characters/voice actors. Is Aya the kitten? I mean, I'm 90% sure but.

On the morning musume girl, she's definitely amateurish, but with promise. i could swear she got better as the episode got along, although it's probably me getting used to her.
Old 2009-04-15, 10:28   Link #6
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Looks like a decent magical girl show for the kids. Probably above animesuki's average age though.
Don't say like that. I still watch something like Fairy Musketeer Akazukin, or Zettai Karen Children .
Old 2009-04-15, 18:58   Link #7
-Kh-
ポルカ

This thread should already be moved to fansubbed I think.

I watched the first episodes. I'm not a fan of this type of girl's animes, but I'm fan of Aya, so I wanted to listen to her character, and unfortunatelly, I liked Garnet. Is a very cute voice with some cockyness borrowed from Haruhi-chan or even Konata, so I liked it very much.

Story-wise well, I'll try to not think much about it, and just keep watching until I get sic of too much cuteness. In the mean time I'll enjoy Aya's and Miyano's characters.
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 22:05   Link #8
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by animekritik View Post
I'm watching the 1st episode raw and I'm a bit confused as to the characters/voice actors. Is Aya the kitten? I mean, I'm 90% sure but....
Yeah, Aya is Garnet, the pink Jewelpet who looks like a kitten and has a bow on her right ear and a flat red jewel on her chest. And is vain and proud.

I can't imagine myself watching all or even much of this show, but I did watch most of Otogijushi Akazukin, so you never know. This doesn't have the animation/backgrounds quality of that, but the story is within reason, so far.

Both had good voices. And Sawashiro Miyuki is in both, which is a good thing.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-04-15, 23:04   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm surprised I found this so much fun. When Hirano's character is introduced, we see this obvious visual pun on Konata in her scheming mode. Hirano's voicing has that same sly tone, too.

When I saw the OP for Baccano! I feared I'd never keep all the characters straight. Watching the OP for Jewelpets, with perhaps fifty or even more different humans and pets, might require one of those excellent cast lists that Kaoru Chujo is so famous for! Maybe Sanrio will release a poster for this show like the one my daughter had over her bed as a child with all the 100+ original Pokemon displayed. Might come in handy around episode forty.

Can anyone help me understand why there is such an emphasis on ambition, courage, and self-motivation in shows aimed at younger Japanese girls? It seems like a persistent agenda in shows as different as this one, Angelic Layer, or Nijuu Mensou. I've wondered elsewhere here about whether shows like these have a subtly feminist agenda, even when wrapped up in a kawaii package like this. (Edit: The resolution of the "prince" issue was both funny and pertinent to the independent girl meme.)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-04-16 at 00:11.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 23:44   Link #10
animekritik

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kh- View Post
This thread should already be moved to fansubbed I think.

I watched the first episodes. I'm not a fan of this type of girl's animes, but I'm fan of Aya, so I wanted to listen to her character, and unfortunatelly, I liked Garnet. Is a very cute voice with some cockyness borrowed from Haruhi-chan or even Konata, so I liked it very much.

Story-wise well, I'll try to not think much about it, and just keep watching until I get sic of too much cuteness. In the mean time I'll enjoy Aya's and Miyano's characters.
So who's fansubbing this, then??
Old 2009-04-16, 03:52   Link #11
Kamesan

Quote:
Originally Posted by animekritik View Post
So who's fansubbing this, then??
SFW

I watched ep 1 because I'm a MoMusu fan and Eri does the voice for Rinko. Too cutesy for me but thought Eri did well (Buy hey, I'm biased lol).
Kamesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 06:54   Link #12
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

At the very least, I'm not bias...^_^'' I thought she did pretty well for someone who never did any voice acting. I finally noticed what this reminds me of, Megumi who did Ranka in Macross F, untrained voice, but the acting was pretty decent.

At the very least I did not die in cringe....thinking that someone else GOT to voice instead. Yes I'm looking at you Koharu.

Its interesting now that any shows get fansubbed now, although the quality can vary, its still nice to see alot of the lesser known stuff subbed. There are still a couple of titles which are definately over subbed...I'm looking at you 'a certain remake of a popular anime/manga', which has 10 subbers after 48 hours the episode was shown.
Old 2009-04-16, 08:21   Link #13
animekritik

sadly the sfw subbed vids are in a hi-tech mkv file the likes of which destroys my computer.. thankfully it's not rocket science and about as RAW friendly as they come...
Old 2009-04-16, 16:19   Link #14
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Well, Sensei, ask and ye shall receive. Actually, a characters and seiyuus page was already in the works.

I've included all the main characters introduced in the first three episodes, and I'll try to keep the page up as more appear. No pic yet of Miyano Mamoru's character.

Unfortunately, the official sites are geared for kids and not for people who care about the cast and staff of the anime. But there is a good Japanese Wikipedia page. And there is one official page showing 33 jewelpets, with their names and characteristics.

As for the emphasis on "ambition, courage, and self-motivation" in shows for girls, I think it is conceived of as a modern antidote to negative tradition. It may now have become its own tradition, however. I can't help liking it, but it is certainly a constant theme.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-04-16 at 17:45.
Old 2009-04-16, 20:31   Link #15
denice25

that's another anime for kids.....
denice25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 05:19   Link #16
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Not bad a show IMO. Obviously for kids/girls, but the writing is actually fairly sharp. My old favorite, Onegai Melody series was the same. Obviously the same crew making this one.

Also, the voice acting talent is rather high for this one for some reason. It's like every other character in this show is a seiyuu allstar most people can remember either by name or their voice. Every time Mamoru Miyamo opened his mouth, it was hilarious just with his performance.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 06:52   Link #17
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

It's nice that they balanced idols who never done much voice acting with big-names seiyuu, if you watched a couple of years of anime, you MUST have heard Mamoru Miyamo, Hirano Aya (considering most 'otaku' would have seen Haruhi or Lucky star at least...) and Sawashiro Miyuki somewhere. I'm hoping that these big-name seiyuu would help the two idols do their job better.

Definately the most watchable kid's show currently airing other then Shugo Chara. I'm waiting for a new Ojamajo Doremi...still.
Old 2009-04-17, 08:27   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Well, Sensei, ask and ye shall receive. Actually, a characters and seiyuus page was already in the works.
I'm sure you realized I was joking, but thanks, Kaoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
Definately the most watchable kid's show currently airing other then Shugo Chara.
For me, that honor belongs to Kemono no Souja Erin, a powerfully compelling fantasy drama by the author of Moribito. It is targeted at an older group of children, though, more like 10-15.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 06:34   Link #19
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Jewel Pet could be more watchable if it has the crazy, funny moments in other Sanrio shows like Onegai Melody. Not sure it's a guaranteed thing since it seems to be focusing on being cute and girly more than being wild and crazy..

That said, Inazuma Eleven is another REALLY well done kids show. I wish these shows came out when I was 5 or 6 years old.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 15:21   Link #20
FireChick

I wonder why SFW hasn't released more subs? I'd like to watch more of this. And I definitely spotted some Konata in Garnet's voice.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote