AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2015-11-22, 10:25   Link #1
Frontier

Valkyria: Azure Revolution

A new spinoff game for the Valkyria Chronicles franchise, set in an alternate universe, with a new engine and gameplay system:

Quote:
From the plentiful Ragnite came the "magical art," and it brought the people many blessings. From the people, there were a select few who saw Ragnite's industrial potential, and started heavy magical industries to exploit it, and make it available to everyone. So began the "Azure Revolution," a great industrial revolution that changed the world.

The Azure Revolution transformed industry and society itself, with the Ragnite resource marking a turning point in history, and changing the face of warfare as well. The age of monarchy had begun.

In 1853, a hundred years after the beginning of the Azure Revolution, the small southern European nation of Jutland launched an assault against a base of the Rus Empire, one of the world's great powers. In accordance to its principles, the Rus Empire retaliated with an economic blockade and embargo, and in time Jutland was impoverished. Jutland proclaimed "independence and liberation from the colonialism of the great powers" and declared war on the Rus Empire, who employed a Valkyria in its ranks.

The young men and women who participated in what would later be called the "Miraculous War of Liberation" will be judged to be the greatest criminals in history. This is a war of liberation that hides a motive of personal revenge.
The main cast for the game so far:

Quote:
Amleth, the game's protagonist, and the commanding officer of the Jutland Kingdom's Anti-Valkyria Unit.

Quote:
Ophelia, the game's heroine, and the princess of the Jutland Kingdom able to use magic arts through song.

Quote:
Brunhild, a Valkyria called "The Reaper" who serves the Empire under the terms of the "Ring" contract.
Old 2015-11-22, 10:56   Link #2
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Please for the love of god let Brunhild switch sides instead of die off stupidly.
Old 2015-11-22, 12:11   Link #3
Kurohane

Also, a story that doesn't break the aesops it's trying to preach halfway into the game.
Old 2015-11-22, 13:40   Link #4
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Officially it's an AU but if you told me it's a prequel story way back in time I would also believe it.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-22, 13:54   Link #5
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

So it's not really related, doesn't have the same system and the art somehow changed. Why would they bother using the series' name anyway?
Old 2015-11-22, 14:02   Link #6
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Thanks for the new thread. Much better.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-22, 14:06   Link #7
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
So it's not really related, doesn't have the same system and the art somehow changed. Why would they bother using the series' name anyway?
There are some similarities in terms of devices like the Valkyries and the Ragnite.

Basically it's still under the "Valkyria" franchise but in it's own world of the "Revolution" series, not the "Chronicles" series.

Sort of like Tales of.
Old 2015-11-22, 19:47   Link #8
endarion88

i want that song already
Old 2015-11-22, 22:36   Link #9
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Dat music. I want it in my Mp3 collection!

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-22, 23:51   Link #10
Frontier

I'm glad I'm not the only one who really liked the music .

And, with the song magic element, if the game has other vocal tracks on that level, I'm sure this game will have a really awesome soundtrack .

I wonder if Ophelia will have a different style of songs compared to Brunhild? I'm sure it'll be just as pretty and nice to listen to .

I also wonder if it's a coincidence that Amleth and Ophelia both have dark black hair, and if that might be related to the Darcsens (despite this being an AU)?
Old 2015-11-23, 16:20   Link #11
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Maybe Sega wants to treat the series somewhat like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or the Persona/Tales series. At least that what I would prefer than possibility of this turning out to be some failed unplanned Frankenstein concoction of shoehorning what's really a new IP into unto an old one in-universe. I'm pretty skeptical of this approach, but that aside I like the way the game looks.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-24, 09:28   Link #12
Sacredus

New news: Valkyria: Azure Revolution Details On Perma-Deaths, Difficulty, And Upcoming Demo
  • There will be perma death
  • Game is not that easy (but they will ad easy mode)
  • Demo will be focused on fighting (they want to show LeGION system)
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-24, 10:34   Link #13
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

^Oh Snap! Perma death is back?
Old 2015-11-24, 13:58   Link #14
Shadow5YA

Some people tend to get reckless in RPGs when death has no consequence. Instead of being a battle for survival, it becomes a battle of attrition instead when you can revive your characters as much as possible. There is no incentive to keep your characters alive.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-24, 14:32   Link #15
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Games with Perma Death is usually for those with quite a lot of control over the characters as to minimize the feeling of 'cheapness'. Wonder how they would do it for an ARPG
Old 2015-11-24, 16:12   Link #16
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
Ugh never saw the point in perma death. Annoying mechanic. And story important characters won't die anyway.

I hope the A.I. is good and I have full control otherwise it will be extremely annoying.
So that people won't resort to thought like "how many I can sacrifice to pass this stage", and actually try to think at the "how many and who could I save" perspective instead.

Being the one who hate sacrifice unit in any way, even in game with little consequence like SRW, I could see this would hinder my progress speed quite a lot.
Old 2015-11-25, 12:17   Link #17
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Some people tend to get reckless in RPGs when death has no consequence. Instead of being a battle for survival, it becomes a battle of attrition instead when you can revive your characters as much as possible. There is no incentive to keep your characters alive.
I'm pretty sure most people try to keep the characters alive regardless perma death or not. Because even without that there long term consequences to deal with by neglecting them. Such as loss of exp and forced story participation of those particular characters later down the road. If those guys aren't up to snuff then you have major roadblock coming you way, where you would have grind excessively to get over. In some case even grinding won't such as in "points of no return".

I personally I feel like perm-death is more of a way artificially boosting difficulty rather than making something truly challenging. People are just reset if someone dies and trail & error their way through most obstacles anyway.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-25, 20:21   Link #18
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I shamelessly saved routinely and reset if things didn't go the way I wanted in VC. No characters were allowed to die.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-25, 23:24   Link #19
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
To continue from my musings in the other thread: given that the protagonists will find themselves cast as among history's greatest criminals, I cannot help but wonder if the writers might be taking pointers from Spec Ops: The Line...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 04:16   Link #20
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I shamelessly saved routinely and reset if things didn't go the way I wanted in VC. No characters were allowed to die.
Same here, i really dislike losing squad member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
To continue from my musings in the other thread: given that the protagonists will find themselves cast as among history's greatest criminals, I cannot help but wonder if the writers might be taking pointers from Spec Ops: The Line...
The game could end a devastating battle, with all the destructions blamed on the protagonists.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ps vita