AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-08-09, 03:33   Link #1
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Non-High school centric animu/mango/LNS.

The title basically. I don't know when it started but every time I read 'high school' or worse yet: 'romantic/comic school fantasy' in a plot synopsis, I cringe. Is it too much to ask for a well written action animu not set in HS? Preferably with characters older than 17. But understand that the latter is not a requirement since well..you can guess why.

Last edited by Libros; 2014-08-09 at 11:04.
Libros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 04:40   Link #2
scyllus
Tormund's Member

How about Darker Than Black, Cowboy Bepop, Trigun, Ghost In The Shell or Legend of Galactic Heroes? There's a lot of action shows centered around adult protags just now very recent ones.

P.S A good recent one would be Psycho-Pass.

EDIT: Try to specify which genre interest you the most. The variation is great, and there is too much goodness to mention.
Fantasy?Sci-Fi? Mecha? Crime?

Last edited by scyllus; 2014-08-09 at 05:05.
scyllus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 05:10   Link #3
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Fantasy is my preference but I don't mind sci-fi, it's just not my go-to. Action is a must though, I don't mind shows with a slow pace since most often this means character development and that is my bread and butter, breakfast, lunch and dinner etc. I like my MCs to be capable right off the bat; but I don't mind underdogs. I also prefer MCs like Ledo was at the beginning of Suisei no gargantia and could have been had the show been darker/grittier. Caring but can be cold when the situation calls for it; calculating but not heartless; and is always willing to do what needs to be done. I can't stand hot bloods though, their stupidity and recklessness simply grates on my nerves.(See: Touta from UQ holder and the MC from Owari no Seraphu for examples of characters I simply cannot tolerate) I can enjoy basically anything as long as it's well written but whiny MCs like Simon from the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series result in an instant drop. Last thing I'd really rather not have: Nakama-ex machina.

Last edited by Libros; 2014-08-09 at 05:21.
Libros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 05:26   Link #4
scyllus
Tormund's Member

If that's the case Twelve Kingdoms is a very good written fantasy with action, slower moments and nice characters, even if MC is not competent from the start.
Also, Soul Hunter? It has raging moment's of stupid to turn awsome in it's serious aspects.
On sci-fi what I mentioned above, plus Fate/Zero and Wolf's Rain(a mix of fantasy and sci-fi), and for chara development sweetness with some action and good writting Crest Of The Stars should work, the MC's are teenagers though competent still and based on critically aclaimed LN series. For mecha Gundam 0080 is a wonderful short story (Zaku pwng a Gundam through piloting skills!) and Votoms has action, compenent charas all around. Raxephon have wonderful music in additon to above. For dark and twisted Texholnyze.
And for pure action Black Lagoon is certainly worth a nod Manga and anime format
Bokurano twist's it's teenage charas like rags, and Break Blade have a competent mc, cringeworthy romance, and absolutely delicious action. I also hate Memory, Sorrow and Thorn mc so do give these series a try.
P.S All of these you could like but CrestOTS, Texholnyze and 12 Kingdoms are mostly overlooked shows because of age and drawing reasons so I would give them a try first.

EDIT: And goddamnit I just had to forget Seirei No Moribito fit's your ideal fantasy like a glove. You'll love it.

Last edited by scyllus; 2014-08-09 at 06:03.
scyllus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 05:28   Link #5
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Those all sound good, thank you.
Old 2014-08-09, 10:57   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Maison Ikkoku, for a romantic comedy not in set in high school and with older characters.

Crest of the Stars, teenagers but not in high school. The sequels Banner of the Stars is set after the characters are past the teenage years.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, teenagers but not in high school.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199, not in high school.

Bunny Drop, main character is in his thirties.

Oh My Goddess, a romantic comedy set in college.

Katanagatari, not in high school

Clannad: After Story is mostly set after high school. I think the first episodes are still in high school, but the main character soon graduates and has to find a job, gets married, has a kid.

Read Or Die (OVAs), no teenagers, and not in high school.

Tiger & Bunny, main characters are not teenagers and not set in high school. One of the main characters has a teenage daughter. (It's more like Lethal Weapon + X-Men)

Chrome Shelled Regios is set in a school that is for high school to college ages. Feels much more college like then high school like. Characters are distributed between high school and college age.

Martian Successor Nadesico, not set in high school.

Hataraku Maou-sama! One of the secondary characters is a high school girl working part time at McRonald's, the rest are... not. Very not high school setting (just look at the clip in the link).

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 16:45   Link #7
kitten320

Claymore
Hunter x Hunter
Shingeki no Kyojin
Baccano!
Berserk
D.Gray Man
Fate/Zero
FMA
Magi
Monster
Psycho-Pass
Seirei no Moribito
Old 2014-08-11, 08:24   Link #8
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

To add some manga to the list:

Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There- Protagonist is a 31-year old JDSF lieutenant, who, shows hidden leadership skills (in spite of past incompetence) after the a fantasy world invades through a portal... only to get curb stomped by the JSDF, who counterattack and occupy the fantasy world. Now our hero is part of a small recon team sent to explore the lands beyond the portal, where he will face dragons, low-tech but hostile armies, a colorful cast of more friendly denizens of the fantasy world (some of whom, incidentally, are female and interested in him), and foreign special forces intent on capturing said individuals for intel on the "Special Region" and its untapped oil and mineral resources.

I Am A Hero- A mangaka ends up as one of the few survivors of a zombie apocalypse. Conveniently, he is also one of the first people to own a shotgun in Japan... if he can work up the balls to realize that the world has changed completely, and no one is going to care if he shoots a few zombies with it!

Kimi No Knife- Does have a tangential relation to a Japanese high school, but the protagonist is not a student, but a teacher. The high school and the students play little part in the plot, instead revolving around how the teacher ends up agreeing in a scheme where he works as a vigilante assassin in order to pay for his sister's cancer treatment- a situation somewhat reminiscent of Breaking Bad.

Jisatsutou/Suicide Island- In a near future Japan, those who attempt suicide and are revived are given the choice to either leave the hospital and have a second chance at life, or be given as fatal drug overdose as an "assisted suicide". A number of people choose the latter, only to wake up, very much alive, only to realize they were not killed, but instead sent to live on an abandoned island, where they can never leave or risk being fired upon by patrolling warships. A few commit suicide on the island, however, a number of them decide to stay there and try to survive, not sure what the future will hold. As for the ages of the cast, most appear to be in their 20s or possibly 30s.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-11, 08:33   Link #9
hamazura
whatever

uchuu fvking kyodai