Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2017-01-23, 13:25   Link #1
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Disney confirmed it today: the next installment of the Star Wars saga is going to be called The Last Jedi. The only other official piece we were given is that it'll be release in December of this year.

I was also reminded that Jedi can be either singular or plural, so here's to hoping that Luke Skywalker isn't killed off in this movie. Also, expect to see teaser trailers for it during the Super Bowl.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/star-wars...162509169.html

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!

Last edited by Magin; 2017-01-23 at 13:37. Reason: Added image and link
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-23, 17:28   Link #2
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Luke is by default, the Last Jedi. The question is, what will Rey be? A Jedi, or something new? The Jedi failed before and the balance was lost only regained via the Skywalkers, and even now is still not fully balanced thanks to Snoke and the Knights of Ren. Therefore it seems logical that Luke would try something new this time with Rey. The Jedi are gone. But the Force is not. A new balance must happen.
Old 2017-01-23, 22:13   Link #3
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Luke is by default, the Last Jedi. The question is, what will Rey be? A Jedi, or something new? The Jedi failed before and the balance was lost only regained via the Skywalkers, and even now is still not fully balanced thanks to Snoke and the Knights of Ren. Therefore it seems logical that Luke would try something new this time with Rey. The Jedi are gone. But the Force is not. A new balance must happen.
I would actually like it if the new generation of Force users start calling themselves something else. The Jedi did good things, but also bad. Attempts to revive the ancient Order clearly failed, it might be time to start anew, with a new name and new philosophy.

And we all know the theory of who Rey could secretly be a descendant of. She just might succeed where Luke failed, because she isn't a Skywalker.
Old 2017-01-23, 22:43   Link #4
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

On the Rey isn't a Skywalker idea... I admit, it is possible, but I'm still pulling for her to be Luke's daughter. My EU knowledge is limited, but the other possibility doesn't even seem likely

Spoiler for probably not too EU spoilerly, but just in case:

However, the other crack theory I found was that Rey and Kylo could ultimately switch sides

Old 2017-01-23, 22:48   Link #5
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
On the Rey isn't a Skywalker idea... I admit, it is possible, but I'm still pulling for her to be Luke's daughter. My EU knowledge is limited, but the other possibility doesn't even seem likely

Spoiler for probably not too EU spoilerly, but just in case:

However, the other crack theory I found was that Rey and Kylo could ultimately switch sides
Who said anything about Obi-wan?

I mean the OTHER Rey theory.
Spoiler for popular theory:

Note that I believe the Star Wars crew had already confirmed that Rey isn't a Skywalker.
Old 2017-01-23, 23:28   Link #6
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

I have never actually heard that particular theory before, so I never even considered it. Also, I haven't run across anything actually saying one way or another about Rey and if she is or isn't; the most I've heard is that Daisy Ridley said "it should be so obvious" and was told that it actually isn't.

Either way, hopefully we find out in December (unless they troll us and we have to wait for IX for it to be cleared up)

Old 2017-01-23, 23:44   Link #7
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I hadn't heard that theory either. What's the full thing behind it?
Old 2017-01-24, 00:04   Link #8
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Hopefully The Last Jedi will have more lightsaber battles between light and dark side users.
Old 2017-01-24, 02:59   Link #9
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Here's a cute little article just to remind everyone about the flaws of the Jedi:

Star Wars Titles Confirm The Jedi are Galactic Failures
Old 2017-01-24, 04:27   Link #10
rantaid

The title can be interpreted as either "The last of the jedi" or "The story of the last Jedi".

Hope if it is the last of jedi, Luke will die standing like Benkei, stabbed simultaneously by all six knight of Ren in his final standing moment, and take them down in his death. :P or something like that.

please make it, disney. you have done Vader's massacre while Lukas F*cked Anakin's Tusken massacre by offscreening it. Help me. You are my only hope!
rantaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-24, 06:20   Link #11
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I hadn't heard that theory either. What's the full thing behind it?
Well...
Spoiler for internet speculation:

Look, all this is speculation. But until the show tell us we are wrong I see it most appropriate that Rey build her own path. That she will not rebuild the Jedi order, but she will not rebuild the Sith either. She can start something new.
Old 2017-01-24, 19:46   Link #12
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Spoiler for Response:
Old 2017-01-25, 01:06   Link #13
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Alright to sum about people predicting Rey will bring a salvation to Jedi vs Sith conflict by disband the order itself.
Not sure i am fond with that. If you don't want to finish the conflict then let's dissolve the parties itself, that resolution is cliches anywhere.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-25, 01:27   Link #14
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
Alright to sum about people predicting Rey will bring a salvation to Jedi vs Sith conflict by disband the order itself.
Not sure i am fond with that. If you don't want to finish the conflict then let's dissolve the parties itself, that resolution is cliches anywhere.
The argument is that the Jedi are an ancient order who was far from innocent. The Force itself split into the Light and Dark side, but that doesn't automatically meant that Jedi represents the Light.

Jedi CLAIM they represented the Light, but at this point their reputation is in tatters. There is no more benefit to reuse that name anymore.

The conflict IS finished. Both Jedi and the Sith are unrecognisable to their former selves, and no longer relevant to people's lives. There are new conflicts now, and people fight for new causes. The Force will always be there, but Jedi and Sith are just labels. There are other Force users, and you can form new Force Orders.
Old 2017-01-25, 01:48   Link #15
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

At this point in the series, there is one Jedi, and no Sith. Luke attempted to train a new group of Jedi but Snoke and the Knights of Ren ended that group.

Now we have Snoke (who is an unknown really), the Knights of Ren, one Jedi Master (Luke) and Rey, who is an unknown yet has the Force for certain.
Old 2017-01-29, 05:29   Link #16
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Curious to see how this movie plays out. The fun thing I guess with the word Jedi is....it's either singular or plural. Luke right now is the last Jedi. But Luke and Ray could be...the last Jedi.

In the end not going to worry on a title. They are usually pretty on point. The question is where is the story going to go. Maybe Ray finds out her heritage and gets more training. Kylo Ren should get more training....and that's all I can really say.

I just hope it's enjoyable, not just a rehash of a previous movie, and has some nice action. You get Kylo Ren and Ray both freaking trained....so let's see what force users can do here. Do what you want with the choreography, but just let them do something interesting with mystical super powers and laser swords!
Old 2017-02-19, 00:13   Link #17
AnimeFan188

I doubt we'll see Jar Jar in any of the new movies, but just in case you ever wondered
what happened to him:

The New Star Wars: Aftermath Novel Reveals the Pitiful Fate
of Jar Jar Binks:

"All the debate can finally be laid to rest. We’re about to finally know what happened to Jar
Jar Binks after Revenge of the Sith, and what he’s been doing since Return of the Jedi."

See:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-new-star-...ful-1792481018
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-19, 03:51   Link #18
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

That is a sad fate for him. Hated by his people for being fooled by Palpatine into allowing him to have emergency powers which allow the Sith Lord to become the Galactic Emperor.

Also this.

Star Wars has dropped a big clue about Episode VIII

Long story short. Official Foreign titles reveal the Jedi in "The Last Jedi" is plural.
Old 2017-04-14, 11:12   Link #19
Yoxall
Finest Crusade

Just finished the livestream from Star Wars celebration. Definitely looking forward to this!

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Spoiler:
Old 2017-04-14, 11:16   Link #20
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

"Its time for the Jedi to end."