Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-28, 00:43   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Hi No Tori - Like wow...

Just saw the first episode of Hi No Tori (aka Firebird) and all I gotta say is "Wow!!" I love the animation and the story so far is great. The artwork is exceptional and I'm now gonna die a slow death until the next episode.

Oh, and for those who are interested, YES this series is licenced so NO you can't get it from Animesuki. Strangely enough it's licenced in the states, but because of HOW it's licenced (which personally makes no bloody sence to me), you've got a snowball's chance in hell of ever seeing R1 DVD's of the series. The only way you're gonna get DVD's of this series is to get them out of Japan as English subbed R2 dvd's, which after seeing the first episode, is something I am most definately gonna do. This series has most certainly won my heart. But that's neither here nor there.

But back on the subject. Anyone else seen it? When I saw...
Spoiler:

Well, that's my take on it anyways. What about you guys?
Old 2004-03-28, 00:52   Link #2
ACE2003

That's cool and all but this is in the wrong forum!!!! ^_^ Oh, and thanks for rubbin it in too. =(
Old 2004-03-28, 01:42   Link #3
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Oh, and for those who are interested, YES this series is licenced so NO you can't get it from Animesuki. Strangely enough it's licenced in the states, but because of HOW it's licenced (which personally makes no bloody sence to me), you've got a snowball's chance in hell of ever seeing R1 DVD's of the series. The only way you're gonna get DVD's of this series is to get them out of Japan as English subbed R2 dvd's, which after seeing the first episode, is something I am most definately gonna do. This series has most certainly won my heart. But that's neither here nor there.
I'm leaving this thread here in Fansubs instead of moving it to DVD&Licensed because we truely aren't sure if it is actually licensed. The details surrounding this fact are quite strange. I would suggest that you read Hi no Tori - Licensed or not? for details. We are currently debating whether this show should be listed on AnimeSuki. If you've got an opinion on the subject then please post it there.

Hi no Tori - Licensed or not?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-03-28, 04:31   Link #4
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Hi No Tori (Bird of Fire) is arguably the greatest manga ever conceived by man, however I feel really sad that some of the best chapters of the manga not able to make it into the anime. I think they should do at least another two seasons to make the Chapter of the Phoenix, the Chapter of the Tumultuous Times and the Chapter of Home-Watching into anime...

And yes Hi No Tori is really intended for mature audience. There are cruelty, politics, philosophy, religion, etc. Very thought-provoking stuff.
Old 2004-03-28, 05:05   Link #5
marin

So this is the beginning of Japan episode of Phoenix then? The one with Saruta and everyone?
Old 2004-03-28, 19:59   Link #6
stpehen
kisses for all

...what's wrong with calling it "Phoenix"? sigh.

Either way, great anime.
Old 2004-03-28, 21:35   Link #7
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen
...what's wrong with calling it "Phoenix"? sigh.

Either way, great anime.
there are various reasons that it's definitely WRONG to call it "Phoenix"

1. The bird in this show looks nothing like the traditional image for a phoenix in various mythologies.

2. the show's title is Hi No Tori which is "Bird of Fire", which is different from the word for "Phoenix", Hou Ou.

3. there's a chapter in the series that's actually named "Chapter of the Phoenix" which deals with the phoenix in real mythologies and belief.
Old 2004-03-28, 21:39   Link #8
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
there are various reasons that it's definitely WRONG to call it "Phoenix"

1. The bird in this show looks nothing like the traditional image for a phoenix in various mythologies.

2. the show's title is Hi No Tori which is "Bird of Fire", which is different from the word for "Phoenix", Hou Ou.

3. there's a chapter in the series that's actually named "Chapter of the Phoenix" which deals with the phoenix in real mythologies and belief.
Tell that to Viz.
Old 2004-03-28, 21:47   Link #9
dreamless

oh, and the Japanese name for the "chapter of the Phoenix" is indeed Hou Ou Hen. (Hou Ou = Phoenix)

Quote:
Tell that to Viz.
How?
Old 2004-03-28, 23:02   Link #10
marin

Yup, looks like this is the Begginning of Japan episode. They're taking it slow and adapting it pretty faithfully, though updating the character designs and taking out the cartoonish asides and humour, which gives it kind of a dour tone really.

I thought it was interesting how they changed Gizuri and made him much more sympathetic. In the manga he knows full well that he's inviting the soldiers for slaughter, and asks only that they spare his wife and her brother, IIRC. Here, he's absolved of that. Hmmmm....

Old 2004-03-29, 01:05   Link #11
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I didn't know anything about Hi no Tori so I didn't have any expectation but after watching ep 1, I was like wow... great stuff. I'm glad FB is subbing it. Look forward to see more.

Grifis
Old 2004-03-29, 01:12   Link #12
Za Paper

Story looks good but it will take me some time to get used to the character design. Some of the designs remind me of the french cartoon Asterix. The Hi no Tori also looks like the Suzaku from Fushigi Yuugi.
Old 2004-03-29, 01:27   Link #13
jennwenn

Quote:
Tell that to Viz.

How?
I just meant that Viz have already named their translation of the Hi no Tori manga "Phoenix", so calling the anime series Phoenix is natural for a fan used to the English manga release. Not necessarily correct, but that's what most people are familiar with. Viz probably made that editorial choice because Phoenix sounds cooler than "Bird of Fire" and using "Hi no Tori" is ridiculous because no one would understand it. Perhaps Osamu Tezuka Productions even approved of the translation "Phoenix" instead of "Bird of Fire".

Anyway, obviously too late to correct Viz. I just wanted to make that point. (I'm going to refer to the anime as Hi no Tori anyway.)
Old 2004-03-29, 03:54   Link #14
dreamless

obviously they toned down many of the more controversial aspects... a pity...
Old 2004-03-29, 05:29   Link #15
marin

They did? Gizuri wouldn't really be a "controversial" aspect...
Old 2004-03-29, 05:32   Link #16
Crimzon
Concrete Cowboy

Send a message via AIM to Crimzon
For those of us who haven't read the manga: Does the 1st ep's storyline continue into the next episode... or does it move on in time already?
Old 2004-03-29, 06:43   Link #17
dreamless

Quote:
They did? Gizuri wouldn't really be a "controversial" aspect...
well, maybe not exactly "controversial", but more like "disturbing". They just make the main characters appear "nicer" and "happier" in general. In episode 2 his wife also forgives him all too easily, unlike in the manga she never really forgives him even to the end.

Heh, I kinda pity the guy in charge of this anime, since it's virtually impossible to convert such a great manga as Hi No Tori into an anime perfect enough not to enrage the fans. However on the other hand I still feel angry at the fact that they actually dare to "water-down" the manga a lot. I mean, I can understand it if they condensed the stuff a bit to make the first chapter fit into 4 episodes, but why do they have to water-down a lot of the great scenes? It's not like this anime series is suitable for kids anyway... Hi No Tori is the the epitome of "anti-commercialization" so to speak, there's not a single thing in the manga that's drawn just for the purpose of attracting readers, it's more like Tezuka Osamu's research paper into human history, philosophy, religion, love, hate and the meaning of life. But I guess the anime just can't help but, well, commercialize it a bit...

Quote:
For those of us who haven't read the manga: Does the 1st ep's storyline continue into the next episode... or does it move on in time already?
it continues into the next episode. Actually the first chapter spans four episodes. It's shown here

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/anime/hinotori/story.html

Chapter of Dawn : episode 1-4
Chapter of Resurrection : episode 5-6
Chapter of Monstrosity : episdoe 7
Chapter of the Sun : episode 8-11
Cahpter of the Future : episode 12-13

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-03-29 at 07:01.
Old 2004-03-29, 07:24   Link #18
dreamless

Wow! Everyone look at this!

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/dvd/HP/hinotori/

So there is a DVD-BOX for Hi No Tori with the Chapter of the Phoenix, Chapter of Yamato and Chapter of Space/Universe released!

I... want... it... now...
Old 2004-03-29, 11:59   Link #19
jennwenn

Quote:
it continues into the next episode. Actually the first chapter spans four episodes. It's shown here

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/anime/hinotori/story.html

Chapter of Dawn : episode 1-4
Chapter of Resurrection : episode 5-6
Chapter of Monstrosity : episdoe 7
Chapter of the Sun : episode 8-11
Chapter of the Future : episode 12-13
Ooooh!!! Thanks for translating what the breakdown is. I was wondering which chapters they will (attemp) to cover.

Man, I wish I could own/watch very single Hi no Tori anime ever made in English, including those old OVAs and movies...*sigh*
Old 2004-03-29, 13:45   Link #20
a7m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
Ooooh!!! Thanks for translating what the breakdown is. I was wondering which chapters they will (attemp) to cover.

Man, I wish I could own/watch very single Hi no Tori anime ever made in English, including those old OVAs and movies...*sigh*
Hopefully this new TV series will inspire people to sub all three of the old movies and OVAs. I would be willing to donate some money to buy the R2 set for raws if I knew someone would sub it.
Closed Thread