AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Gundam 00 Series Rating
Perfect 10 93 26.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 68 19.60%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 95 27.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 48 13.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 16 4.61%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 2.31%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.15%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.86%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.58%
1 out of 10 : Painful 10 2.88%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-04-04, 16:47   Link #101
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
He got shot three times. Its just that the first one made it so he wouldn't feel the other two.
Good point, but the fact that he was not feeling the rest of the shots just dimmed that scene for me. For all that he done, he got shot... in the back.

And I was thinking, thats it?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 16:52   Link #102
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Good point, but the fact that he was not feeling the rest of the shots just dimmed that scene for me. For all that he done, he got shot... in the back.

- Tak
Maybe it was just a big "Fuck you" from Sunrise, towards all of the people who cheered for Ali's senseless maniacal ways.
Old 2009-04-04, 16:59   Link #103
Tak

Quote:
Maybe it was just a big "Fuck you" from Sunrise, towards all of the people who cheered for Ali's senseless maniacal ways.
Nah, I wasn't cheering for him. I just thought that he got away with too much getting such a cheap death. I honestly thought he'd die by season I.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-04-04, 17:10   Link #104
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Nah, I wasn't cheering for him. I just thought that he got away with too much getting such a cheap death. I honestly thought he'd die by season I.

- Tak
Never accused you of such, but there have been plenty of people who praised Ali's acts while simultaneously condemning Nena's, though really he was no better.
Old 2009-04-04, 18:35   Link #105
Zeta Gundam

I'm glad Ali died like the dog that he was. He was little more than a wild animal
Zeta Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 18:38   Link #106
Lelite

Quote:

- Tak
Nah. He already had a wound to his side, then Lyle shot him through the shoulder as a warning, and then finally in the head + a few more shots.

I'm just glad he died outside of a mobile suit cockpit. And in a way, glad he didn't die when Neil shot him in S1. It would've been too glorious for him.
Lelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 22:28   Link #107
finalnight
Supreme Commander

The first was an improved version of Wing, especially the first season, and I enjoyed Wing. The second season was still wingish but had a lot more UC/Seed/Destiny mixed in, and I enjoyed all of those (except the middle 20 episodes of Destiny). Hopefully the movie is an improved version of Endless Waltz.
finalnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 23:10   Link #108
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

I don't understand how people say this is an improved version of Wing. I'm sorry, but Gundam 00 is laughably inferior to wing. Here's how:

1) The story is completely one dimensional. CB ending all war. Then you had some little free-for-all between Ribbons/Regene/Nena/Wang that never really amounted to anything. In the meantime, it's one ship vs. the army. Pfeh. Gundam 00 has NOTHING on Wing's 30-Xanatos Pileup plot.

2) The characters are nowhere near as interesting. Heero was far more interesting due to his subtlety of a heart of gold. Setsuna was always a soldier. Alejandro was only remotely similar to Treize in token appearance. Treize was the quintessence of Magnificent Bastard, while Alejandro was just a Smug Snake. Also, come on...Zechs vs. Bushido? Mr. Bushido was a joke the whole time. Heck, I'd even argue that Graham Aker from the beginning was a big joke what with his obsession over Gundam. Zechs was an amazing masked badass.

3) Gundam 00 probably had the least gripping gundam v. gundam battles I've ever seen. Where were the clashes of ideals? Where was the rivalry with the protagonist's full-power mid-series upgrade? TransAm on 00-Riser was literally an "I win" button until the Reborn gundam came about. Now if Ribbons was using the Reborn gundam once G00 got the Riser upgrade, THEN it'd be interesting.

And of course, in Wing, the only reason that Heero combined with the Wing Zero and the ZERO system didn't just rape the entire universe was that Zechs with Epyon fought him inch for inch, which made the show so much more enjoyable.

4) The women were nowhere near as cool.

Gundam Wing had a badass girl for every single pilot. Relena was awesome in the amount of balls she had, Hilde was plain cool, Catherine was a nice touch, Dorothy was like an evil Relena, Sally Po rocked, and Noin...well...Noin was simply just plain badass.

G00 lacked ALL of that.

Frankly, I saw absolutely no similarities beyond physical appearances.
Old 2009-04-04, 23:17   Link #109
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
I don't understand how people say this is an improved version of Wing. I'm sorry, but Gundam 00 is laughably inferior to wing. Here's how:

1) The story is completely one dimensional. CB ending all war. Then you had some little free-for-all between Ribbons/Regene/Nena/Wang that never really amounted to anything. In the meantime, it's one ship vs. the army. Pfeh. Gundam 00 has NOTHING on Wing's 30-Xanatos Pileup plot.

2) The characters are nowhere near as interesting. Heero was far more interesting due to his subtlety of a heart of gold. Setsuna was always a soldier. Alejandro was only remotely similar to Treize in token appearance. Treize was the quintessence of Magnificent Bastard, while Alejandro was just a Smug Snake. Also, come on...Zechs vs. Bushido? Mr. Bushido was a joke the whole time. Heck, I'd even argue that Graham Aker from the beginning was a big joke what with his obsession over Gundam. Zechs was an amazing masked badass.

3) Gundam 00 probably had the least gripping gundam v. gundam battles I've ever seen. Where were the clashes of ideals? Where was the rivalry with the protagonist's full-power mid-series upgrade? TransAm on 00-Riser was literally an "I win" button until the Reborn gundam came about. Now if Ribbons was using the Reborn gundam once G00 got the Riser upgrade, THEN it'd be interesting.

And of course, in Wing, the only reason that Heero combined with the Wing Zero and the ZERO system didn't just rape the entire universe was that Zechs with Epyon fought him inch for inch, which made the show so much more enjoyable.

4) The women were nowhere near as cool.

Gundam Wing had a badass girl for every single pilot. Relena was awesome in the amount of balls she had, Hilde was plain cool, Catherine was a nice touch, Dorothy was like an evil Relena, Sally Po rocked, and Noin...well...Noin was simply just plain badass.

G00 lacked ALL of that.

Frankly, I saw absolutely no similarities beyond physical appearances.
What are you even talking about son?

Do you realize how many things you just had to ignore and overlook about both series to come to that conclusion. Sure yeah if you do it that way you can make it seem like any show is vastly superior to another.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 23:27   Link #110
Tak

I just don't know why people are comparing this to Wing, just because it shared some similarities, or is it because some random online blogger said so?

Yes, there were similarities, but G00 is an entirely different animal. I do not see the need to laboriously mirror G00 to Wing, they are not the same bloody thing. I'd rather enjoy the show as is.

- Tak

Old 2009-04-04, 23:30   Link #111
Charred Knight

Quote:
I just don't know why people are comparing this to Wing, just because it shared some similarities, or is it because some random online blogger said so?

Yes, there were similarities, but G00 is an entirely different animal. I do not see the need to laboriously mirror G00 to Wing, they are not the same bloody thing. I'd rather enjoy the show as is.

- Tak

A small number of powerful Gundams against armies
A child soldier as the lead
Marina was Relena without Relena's character development
People seek to end all wars
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 23:33   Link #112
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

- Tak
I think it's more simple in that people just like to make superficial comparisons.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 23:34   Link #113
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
A small number of powerful Gundams against armies
A child soldier as the lead
Marina was Relena without Relena's character development
People seek to end all wars
Kindly read my post more carefully. But in this case, allow me to clarify for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I think it's more simple in that people just like to make superficial comparisons.
I don't see how one is supposed to enjoy a show if all he/she does is to pit one show against another.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2009-04-04 at 23:45.
Old 2009-04-05, 01:46   Link #114
Lelite

Okay. I'll make it even more simple: guys fighting in big humanoid robots and beam spam. Oh, and the main suit is blue, white and red with a bit of yellow, the main protagonist is one of the most talented and capable pilots in the story, and the main villain is powerful and influential.

OMG IT'S LIKE A TOTAL COPY OF THE ORIGINAL MSG!!!!!!!!!!

You see how simplifying things... kind of makes them appear the same? Yeah. You can take any gundam series and simplify it, skipping over small important points and claim it to be a copy of anything that came before it.

Also, I don't see what's so unrealistic about there being a united Earth federation. I mean, the countries are still countries, just as they were during the three main power blocs, only united as one. Kind of like the UN today, only more powerful.

I do agree though, the female characters were lacking. We got an alcoholic, a sugar-high loli (x2, in a way, but one wasn't really loli and is dead), a bashful workaholic, a token moping princess, and a whole wide array of mildly psychotic sluts of various positions. The best female character was probably Louise, but that might be because she was like, the only female character that had decent development. (I liked Feldt too, but I didn't think she had much in the way of being a round, dynamic character) 00 was, from my perspective, a very male-centric show. Not that I have any problems with that, mind you, more for me to ogle at, but I do like strong and well-developed female characters.

ETA: Yes, I have heard that the asian culture is very group-work centered from various asian friends and other sources, and have to an extent witnessed it. I think it's even reflected in the fact that when you first go into a new class at school and introduce yourself in Japan, you say "pleased to be working with you" as opposed to the American way of "Hey, I'm ___________, and I like _________." That's not to say all Asians love their big groupies, but I think it is partially cultural values.
Old 2009-04-05, 02:06   Link #115
Charred Knight

Quote:
And apparently this misconception of yours had something to do with how Gundam ended? Care to elaborate this misconception? Or are you just spewing random misconceptions now?

- Tak
Hey look apparently what I was told was correct, see what happens when you listen to people instead of deciding that your right and their wrong without any proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelite View Post
Okay. I'll make it even more simple: guys fighting in big humanoid robots and beam spam. Oh, and the main suit is blue, white and red with a bit of yellow, the main protagonist is one of the most talented and capable pilots in the story, and the main villain is powerful and influential.

OMG IT'S LIKE A TOTAL COPY OF THE ORIGINAL MSG!!!!!!!!!!

You see how simplifying things... kind of makes them appear the same? Yeah. You can take any gundam series and simplify it, skipping over small important points and claim it to be a copy of anything that came before it.

Also, I don't see what's so unrealistic about there being a united Earth federation. I mean, the countries are still countries, just as they were during the three main power blocs, only united as one. Kind of like the UN today, only more powerful.

I do agree though, the female characters were lacking. We got an alcoholic, a sugar-high loli (x2, in a way, but one wasn't really loli and is dead), a bashful workaholic, a token moping princess, and a whole wide array of mildly psychotic sluts of various positions. The best female character was probably Louise, but that might be because she was like, the only female character that had decent development. (I liked Feldt too, but I didn't think she had much in the way of being a round, dynamic character) 00 was, from my perspective, a very male-centric show. Not that I have any problems with that, mind you, more for me to ogle at, but I do like strong and well-developed female characters.

ETA: Yes, I have heard that the asian culture is very group-work centered from various asian friends and other sources, and have to an extent witnessed it. I think it's even reflected in the fact that when you first go into a new class at school and introduce yourself in Japan, you say "pleased to be working with you" as opposed to the American way of "Hey, I'm ___________, and I like _________." That's not to say all Asians love their big groupies, but I think it is partially cultural values.
I don't think anyone is saying that the Federation is unrealistic, from the ending, the only part I found unrealistic was the dealings with the Middle East. The Middle East was in total chaos and frankly I don't see how it could become peaceful in the time we last saw them.

My main problem with the Federation is whose ideals are runningthe thing.

Theirs a huge difference between the Earth Federation running on the ideals of China, and the Earth Federation running on the ideals of America.

Oh and thanks for backing me up on the whole asian conformity thing, I heard that on some other places.

Quote:
So now you're comparing others to despotic governments in old wars. Real mature. And you're also going for the "You're wrong and I'm right because I said so" closure argument. Very mature.
And Tak hasn't use the "you're wrong and I'm right because I said so arguement?
Old 2009-04-05, 02:42   Link #116
Charred Knight

Simply that their really is no difference between America, Chinese, or Middle Easterns in this series. Their is no cultural differences between them, for example religion is never brought up and its never debated which countries ideals should be the core of the Federation.

The people have united under one culture and their is no such thing as America, Chinese, French, British, or Irish in this series only citizens of the Federation.
Old 2009-04-05, 02:49   Link #117
Lelite

Quote:
1) Simply that their really is no difference between America, Chinese, or Middle Easterns in this series. Their is no cultural differences between them, for example religion is never brought up and its never debated which countries ideals should be the core of the Federation.

2) The people have united under one culture and their is no such thing as America, Chinese, French, British, or Irish in this series only citizens of the Federation.
1) Agreed. Although, there never was much time devoted to expanding on the beliefs of countries other than a little bit in S1.

2) Wait... I may be wrong on this since I don't read all of the extra material, but I was under the impression that the Federation was merely a tight union of different countries that all contributed to the creation of one army and economy? Because I'm fairly sure that the Fed was merely a union of the three power blocs, and those definitely included many different countries. At least Azadistan was still a country in the end, and was implied that they were a part of the Federation, so I assumed that applied to all countries.

Last edited by Lelite; 2009-04-05 at 02:50. Reason: repetition
Old 2009-04-05, 06:35   Link #118
fizzmaister
The Tall One

1. Gundam has hax, depending on what you call hax. Some people call overwhelming technological advantage hax, some people call ridiculously overwhelming technology hax, some people call breaking in-universe physics as hax, and some people call the mere fact that a humanoid robot is an effective machine of war, hax. I'm usually in the second to last category, hax is breaking in-universe physics (although SFreedom is still hax because it has aimbots, even though that's not breaking established physics). So please clarify which hax y'all are talking about.

2. Of course there are similarities in the metaverse that we know and love as Gundam. Gundams, RX 78-2 expy, Char expy, mobile suits, let's end war(s), child soldiers: They're all staples of Gundam. If someone were to say this is a completely different show, yes, we would all call BS and say it's a rip off of the original gundam. But that's not what the director/producers/studio are saying. It's a different directors take on a classic series and it's advertised as such; it's not called Giant Robot Exia, it's called Gundam 00. Badass masked blond is not a ripoff because the writers couldn't think of a good character, it's a tribute to how awesome Char was, as well as a Gundam tradition. Same for the others, tributes not ripoffs.

Quote:
Nah, my original point was that Gundam aces always had something going for them that others do not expect. Remember in season I, where the meisters suddenly awoken their powers because someone was foolish enough to desecrate the body of whatshisface, and by his words, the meisters suddenly had a makeover? This is nothing new in Gundam, mind you.
I don't know if you're exaggerating, but in case you aren't; Alejandro didn't desecrate Aeolia's body, he killed him. Aoelia was in Cryo-sleep, his death triggered the "the plan went to shit" plan; the meister's data was deleted from Veda, trans-am was unlocked, and the meisters got a message saying Veda's been compromised, do what you believe is the right thing.
Old 2009-04-05, 07:36   Link #119
hai_san

Animation Quality: 9

most time very good and hardly recaps

Voice Actors: 9

none stands out but neither did i dislike any of them

Story: 5

the story ... yea the story was the problem. I would rate the story of season 1 a 8 while the 2nd season would be a 4. And because the 2nd season story was so bad i rate the total score for the whole serie 5.

Characters: 9

I think there were really many interesting characters BUT except for Lyle, Sumeragi, Halle-/Alleluja, Soma/Marie and Setsuna none of other character had decent developement, e.g Liu Mei why was she there again? Nena she died so what did she contribute to the story again? ah yes she killed Louise parent, which lead to Louise and Saji and what did they do to the story?... Graham was introduce very strongly in the first season but his developement in 2 was bad and also his "climax" was total let down...

I really like the characters in 00, but because of the story plot the character couldnt live up to their best.

[Gundams rating = 9]

Total Rating = 8

Gundam 00 is a good serie, you can watch it but i wouldnt say it was any of excellence or a must see in the gundam series.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 08:12   Link #120
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Simply that their really is no difference between America, Chinese, or Middle Easterns in this series. Their is no cultural differences between them, for example religion is never brought up and its never debated which countries ideals should be the core of the Federation.

The people have united under one culture and their is no such thing as America, Chinese, French, British, or Irish in this series only citizens of the Federation.
There was a cultural difference if you look at the Middle East and I don't think religion is major issue by then.
And countries could be unite without having the same culture and religion(look at America). Also the core ideal of the Federation is probably like the most core idea of countries today, freedom and some sort of democracy.