AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-10-08, 04:54   Link #521
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

The SAO servers people were logged into were in the fifth sub-basement of Argus' corporate headquarters.
Old 2012-10-08, 05:26   Link #522
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
The SAO servers people were logged into were in the fifth sub-basement of Argus' corporate headquarters.
And where is Argus' corporate HQ located...anyway?
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 08:07   Link #523
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

Somewhere in Japan.
Old 2012-10-08, 08:59   Link #524
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Somewhere in Japan.
Not even a city...? (I wanted something a little bit more specific, honestly,)
Old 2012-10-08, 09:14   Link #525
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

It's never actually said.
Old 2012-10-08, 09:46   Link #526
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
@GenjiChan+Aphrah: Thanks for the answers, but I must say that the novel sounds as disappointing as the anime (considering the budget).

What sounds very strange (to me) is that they partially adapted only two volumes in 14 episodes. Is the writing style similar to Horizon novels? i.e. wasted in setting details irrelevant to the plot (whether main or side)?
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 10:04   Link #527
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
@GenjiChan+Aphrah: Thanks for the answers, but I must say that the novel sounds as disappointing as the anime (considering the budget).

What sounds very strange (to me) is that they partially adapted only two volumes in 14 episodes. Is the writing style similar to Horizon novels? i.e. wasted in setting details irrelevant to the plot (whether main or side)?
The exact opposite -- according to my Kindle, the first two books are only two hundred pages each in English, compared to the giant bricks of the Horizon novels. Kawahara just squeezed a lot into that space.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 10:43   Link #528
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

His writing style is astonishingly dense, in terms of data delivered in a given set of words, especially for someone who started writing at 15.
Old 2012-10-08, 10:45   Link #529
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
His writing style is astonishingly dense, in terms of data delivered in a given set of words, especially for someone who started writing at 15.
This. so much this. And as a weak example, compare it to over 90% of the writers in FF.net.

Anyway, any info about Kirito's house? Like... Kirito's room content?
Old 2012-10-08, 11:01   Link #530
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

Spoiler for Expansion of what was shown briefly in the first episode of the anime:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-08 at 16:32. Reason: added and then edited spoiler tag label
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 15:53   Link #531
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
His writing style is astonishingly dense, in terms of data delivered in a given set of words,
Hmmm... interesting, I guess I'll check the novels after all, I haven't read anything "epic" since 12 kingdoms.

Quote:
especially for someone who started writing at 15.
Huh?! doesn't this happen about 6-7 years old... he doesn't have to use kanji anyway
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 16:02   Link #532
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Huh?! doesn't this happen about 6-7 years old... he doesn't have to use kanji anyway
Meaning that he presumably started writing these novels while he was in his teens, not that that's when he learned how to write...
Old 2012-10-08, 16:26   Link #533
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Spoiler for Not yet revealed in the anime:
Well technically it's already been shown in the Anime...

Spoiler for Stuff:

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 16:31   Link #534
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
It's already been revealed. Watch Episode 1 again.

Spoiler for Stuff:
Okay, yes, it was shown, but I think that's a bit much information to expect anime viewers to figure out based on a few quick shots (otherwise, why ask the question?). Will correct the spoiler tag label, though.

(But to be clear: that label wasn't Gearhead's fault; I added it.)
Old 2012-10-08, 16:37   Link #535
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Okay, yes, it was shown, but I think that's a bit much information to expect anime viewers to figure out based on a few quick shots (otherwise, why ask the question?). Will correct the spoiler tag label, though.

(But to be clear: that label wasn't Gearhead's fault; I added it.)
Ah ok, sorry about that.

A-1 really did pack a lot of information in these 14 episodes. O_O

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 17:35   Link #536
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

Quote:
He started writing THIS at the age of 15. Looking back at some of the stuff I wrote when I was that age (and my goodness that was a long time ago) I'm appalled.

My suspicion is that he's been writing since a very young age, he already had a pretty good grasp of how to tell a story and how to lay one out. The chopped up and abbreviated nature of Volume 1 stems from the nature of what he originally wanted to submit it to. (That contest had a very strict page count limit.)
Old 2012-10-08, 18:49   Link #537
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
He started writing THIS at the age of 15.
Incidentally, is this actually confirmed anywhere? I haven't seen anything anywhere that confirms the author's age, though a lot of people assume he must have been in his teens at the time.
Old 2012-10-08, 19:54   Link #538
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

Quote:
Incidentally, is this actually confirmed anywhere? I haven't seen anything anywhere that confirms the author's age, though a lot of people assume he must have been in his teens at the time.
He started writing SAO at the age of 15 for submission to a contest. But the contest had a maximum page count requirement, the deadline passed while he was trying to edit what would be Volume 1 down under the needed count and decided to just release it on the web instead.

Going by interviews, he got into the business itself later on through another route and got Accel World published first. Then his editor approached him about cleaning up and releasing SAO as a series of Light Novels too.

Interesting Note: abec, the artist for the LNs, was also in her teens when she started drawing for the series.
Old 2012-10-08, 22:09   Link #539
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Spoiler for questions:
Aphrah has already ably addressed points 1-3, so I'll just elaborate further on this:

Spoiler for Spoilers for Fairy Dance NervGear fate:

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 00:13   Link #540
Krono

Quote:
Nope, not confirmed anywhere. Reki Kawahara's Japanese wikipedia entry lists his birthdate as entirely unknown. It's not mentioned in any of his afterwords to my knowledge, which would explain why it isn't on wikipedia. Nor does it appear to be listed on his website.

In the best picture we have of him, he looks to be 30 years old +/- 5 years.

So it's theoretically possible for him to have been 15 when he posted SAO online back in 2002. However the odds are very, very low that was the case.

The blog tap-trans has some translations from the webnovel version of SAO, including some Q&A sessions with various characters, including "Kunori Fumio" aka Reki Kawahara. It dates back to 2005, and the questions he answers include:

Quote:
"Q. What is your job?
A. There’s no connection to novels, but I’m doing something in a corner of the publishing business world."
Quote:
"Q. What novels do you recommend aside from your own work?
A. It’s difficult with how many there are… Those from the all-time best would be Kanbayashi Chouhei’s [Sentou Yousei Yukikaze] & [Tamashii no Kudoutai], Oosawa Arimasa’s [Shinjukuzame] series, Tom Clancy’s [Jack Ryan] series and L. M. Bujold’s [Vorkosigan Saga] series, I suppose. I reread these books about once every year. "
SO he was out of school and employed in 2005. And of the novels he listed, here are their release dates:

Sentou Yousei Yukikaze (1984)
Tamashii no Kudoutai (1995)
Shinjukuzame series (seems to have started in 1991)
Jack Ryan series (started in 1984)
Vorkosigan Saga (started in 1986, mostly published between 1986 and 2002)

Seeing as the heaviest activity for those series was in the 80's and 90's, odds are against him being a huge fan of them, if he was 13 in 2000.

Furthermore, the answer's he had "Heathcliff" give include:

Quote:
"Q. If I were to ask for you to mention one of the games you like best, which would it be?
A. If you mean aside from SAO, it would be Wizardry, a game from long ago. I acquired a lot of inspiration from it."
Quote:
"Q. Please tell me what was the game you first played like.
A. It was an extremely old RPG known as Wizardry."
Seeing as the Skull Reaper is obviously based on the Sidelle monster from Wizardry, I'd say it's safe to bet that the Wizardry series was Reki's first RPG. And I'd be willing to bet on him first playing one of them on the NES or Gameboy back in the early 90s.

And of course he seems to have been playing MMORPGs for at least a few years as of the time he wrote SAO.

So the bottom line is that while there isn't any hard proof, his influences pretty much track with being in his late teens, or early 20s when he first wrote SAO.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a