AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Accel World

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-19, 18:15   Link #421
Sunder the Gold

Garf, I meant that in the real world, outside of that game, Aqua Blue is a real shade of color.

I am very well aware that Aqua Current is Colorless. I EVEN SAID THAT.

But yes, since the Chromatic Color wheel is based on subtractive coloration, Black is the absence of all color, and therefore Colorless.
Old 2013-02-19, 19:52   Link #422
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

And to be strict about it, all the metal avatars don't belong in the colour wheel either...

...and the common theme between Lotus, Vise, and Current is 'colourless', then, can we expect...infrared/x-ray avatars?
Old 2013-02-19, 20:04   Link #423
Sunder the Gold

Metal colors are part of the metallic scale rather than the chromatic wheel. The wheel doesn't apply to them at all, so they can't be colorless.

And on the second part, you're just being silly.
Old 2013-02-19, 20:06   Link #424
garf02

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusjecht View Post
And to be strict about it, all the metal avatars don't belong in the colour wheel either...

...and the common theme between Lotus, Vise, and Current is 'colourless', then, can we expect...infrared/x-ray avatars?
Metal has color, but their special are not decided by the color but for the rareness of the metal, the more rare the metal (platinum, gold, etc) the high it defence stat to buff (corrosion, fire, bla bla bla) but the weaker to close combat, while the less rare the metal (iron, copper) has better close combat stat (Iron Pound is basically a boxer) but are weaker to special conditions
Old 2013-02-19, 20:08   Link #425
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Maybe the colourless avatars will merit their own scale if enough of them show up :P

And maybe not completely silly: how about a plastic avatar? Most plastic may be colourless too!
Old 2013-02-19, 20:32   Link #426
garf02

Quote:
Maybe the colourless avatars will merit their own scale if enough of them show up :P

And maybe not completely silly: how about a plastic avatar? Most plastic may be colourless too!
I will just Pk myself If my name were related to Plastic
Old 2013-02-19, 21:38   Link #427
Sunder the Gold

Burst Linker: Scrya Yuuno (Russian-descended orphan, born and raised in Japan)

Duel Avatar: Jade Sage

Happily, the color of Yuuno's Duel Avatar conforms to the color of his magical light in Lyrical Nanoha.

Jade Sage is built rather like Lime Bell; small, slim, lightweight but tough, and decently strong. His physical strength is actually a bit less, and his basic punches don't compare to Bell's clubbing power with the Choir Chime.

Normal Move - "Grab and Hold"
The gripping power of Jade Sage's hands is out-of-proportion to his body's overall strength. While not strong enough to bodily lift or throw most opponents, or large and heavy enough to pin them, it would be very hard to make Sage let go without inflicting him with considerable amounts of pain. The small size of Sage's hands also limits their ability to crush opponents, but it is dangerous to let Sage grab hold of a small, vulnerable location, such as your throat.

Special Ability - "Extending Arms"
Jade Sage's forearms conceal telescoping extention mechanisms which allow him to explosively shoot his hands out to a range of five meters (15 feet).

The force of this projection is far beyond his body's overall convention strength, allowing his hands to reach maximum range instantaneously. Equally powerful retraction strength allows for equally quick recovery.

Deploying the extention ability in the middle of a Punch naturally increases its striking power, though no-where near to the level of Cyan Pile's Pile Driver when firing its stake. The lethality of the small, blunt fist likewise cannot be compared to that piercing nail. Punches delivered at maximum range have rather unremarkable striking power.

More importantly, the shoving force of Sage's telescoping arm serves to push a nearby target off-balance. Yuuno often uses a single palm-strike with minimal extention to disrupt an opponent's balance, before delivering a two-handed palm-strike at greater extention to blast the opponent off of their feet and some distance away from himself.

The extention ability also allows Sage to execute the Grab attack against opponents that would otherwise be outside of his range. He can then use the strength of his arm's retraction to pull the enemy closer to himself. Since most opponents are far too heavy for this to work, Yuuno must use only one arm to grab them while using the other arm to grab and anchor himself against the ground or some other sturdy object.

When not anchoring himself, Yuuno can instead use this ability to reel himself in towards heavier opponents, or else grab hold of a distant part of the landscape to affect a swift advance or escape. In this way, Jade Sage is effectively far more mobile than he would otherwise be, and also capable of rapidly relocating his enemies and allies to control the tactical flow of battle.

Extending Arms does not cost Special Meter, does not overheat or operate on an independent battery, and the only cooldown time or reloading required is to fully retract an arm. Instead, the full power and range of Extending Arms requires a brief charge-up time, which telegraphs Yuuno's intent to watchful opponents, and also prevents Jade Sage from unleashing a combination of extending jack-hammer punches.

A full charge doubles the maximum range to 10 meters (30 feet), with a proportional increase in striking speed and power. The speed and strength of retraction can likewise be charged, but this must be done seperately, and gives the opponent time to attack Sage's hands and extended forearms.

Special Move - "Twisting Coils"
Jade Sage's telescoping arms normally may only move straight out and straight back. This Special Move changes that.

With this, Jade Sage can project his arms even farther than normal, and his hands can change course in mid-extention to curve around obstacles and coil around a target's body like living snakes. The farther the target, the less coils there are to spare -- firmly binding a target's arms and legs requires Sage to be close enough.

Any outside force applied to Sage's extended arms depletes his Special Meter, so the mightier his victim's struggles, the more quickly Twisting Coils will end. On top of that, the move requires an initial cost of 10% Meter per arm.

Retracting the coiled arms to maintain grip and exhert crushing power upon the victim is possible, but depletes the Special Meter just as rapidly as the victim's struggles, effectively halving the time that Sage can keep them bound.

It is always in Yuuno's best interest to make use of pre-existing pillars or similar objects to serve as fulcrums, increasing the restraining and crushing power of his arms with make-shift pulleys.

Yuuno has also learned how to apply Twisting Coils more humbly; as it allows him to change the trajectory of his hand in mid-extention, he can surprise opponents with trick-shot punches -- for example, aiming down at the ground at their feet, but landing an uppercut blow to the chin.
Old 2013-02-20, 11:27   Link #428
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Seems interesting, though doesn't this count as direct attack?

Also, I rewatched Niko vs CCC and spotted a bull avatar, reddish coloured and yet a close-range type.

...Seems like your theory is right. Close-range and speed attackers are balanced out by having a weak red avatar.
Old 2013-02-20, 12:25   Link #429
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Seems interesting, though doesn't this count as direct attack?
Green avatars mix close-range direct attacks with close-range indirect tactics.

Green Sage is only capable of dealing as much damage with a close-range punch as Lime Bell's bell-hammer. His long-range damaging power is pathetic. This is what seperates him from Bush Utan.

Sage's real power is shoving and pulling enemies and allies to where he wants them, as well as relocating himself.

His special move is indirect in that its primary purpose is to bind and lock-down a target. It's "close" in that it works much better the closer his target is.

Also, all of his abilities are "close" in that they use his own body, putting himself at risk of damage. He's not safely blasting people with wind or ice; if they strike and damage his hands or arms, he's screwed.

Thankfully, he's built tough for his size.

Notably, it's almost impossible for him to win a fight against Black Lotus, who can easily cut his arms to pieces. Levels aside, it's a complete mismatch for Yuuno.

Quote:
Also, I rewatched Niko vs CCC and spotted a bull avatar, reddish coloured and yet a close-range type.

...Seems like your theory is right. Close-range and speed attackers are balanced out by having a weak red avatar.
That's not the theory.

The idea is that Dark colors indicate that your Special Move is wrong for your color, but your color indicates what your body is good at.

A dark Red body means you're physically weak or slow like a typical Red, and probably that you lack a Red's normal long-range tools. But it also means that people need to watch out for whatever unpredictable Special Move you were given which completely balances this out.

Leopard's special ability is to change shape into a stronger, faster form -- faster than even a Blue avatar of the same level. But that means her normal body is slow compared to a speed-based Blue.

A DARK reddish Bull avatar might have a mighty power-based form, stronger than even a Blue avatar ought to have for the same level. But in order to balance that game-breaking ability, the avatar needs to build up a Special Meter before he can shapeshift. This gives his opponents a chance to defeat him when he's weak, before he becomes too strong.

Rather like how your best chance to defeat Dusk Taker or Crimson Kingbolt is before they can use their special moves. Because after they do, the tables turn, and their weakness becomes overwhelming strength.

Another way in which a DARK reddish bull avatar, Blood Leopard, and Crikin are red, is that they all rely on distance to safely build up their special gauges (or collect metal). In this, they're not that different from regular Red avatars who live and die by the long-range safety of their guns.

The dark Purple Dusk Taker, however, had a faster, stronger body than them, and so had more ability to directly engage in a fight to build up his meter. He could enjoy the safety of range while damaging the terrain, but he wasn't as dependent on it as they are.
Old 2013-02-21, 04:52   Link #430
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Hmm... This has given me a lot to think about. I might even go AU. I'll need to think more to iron out the issues.

As for some clarification: Yellow Radio is the first Yellow King, because the man before him was Golden (the color) Cub and wasn't a king (refused to be called one), and the legion wasn't a legion (He called it the Great Gold Brigade, and back then really was smaller than a legion).

But the end of my story shows how did power transition from Golden to Yellow, but I made it as dramatic as I could. ^^;
Old 2013-02-21, 07:25   Link #431
Sunder the Gold

I just thought of a great idea for a dungeon and reward in the UNF.

It reflects a fertility shrine in the real world of Japan (there's gotta be one of those somewhere). The prize for defeating the boss...

...Is an additional copy of Brain Burst to share.

For more fun, maybe there's one in Okinawa. That'll help out Crikin's growing family-clan-legion.
Old 2013-02-22, 09:31   Link #432
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
I just thought of a great idea for a dungeon and reward in the UNF.

It reflects a fertility shrine in the real world of Japan (there's gotta be one of those somewhere). The prize for defeating the boss...

...Is an additional copy of Brain Burst to share.

For more fun, maybe there's one in Okinawa. That'll help out Crikin's growing family-clan-legion.

...can I steal this for the MMO version of Brain Burst? Can I? Can I?!

*couple kills boss because he wandered into their evening walk*

*child appears*

"Mama! Carry me?"

"Who's child is that?!"

"That's my line!!"

Old 2013-02-22, 10:43   Link #433
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
...can I steal this for the MMO version of Brain Burst? Can I? Can I?!
Can you? Would you, pretty please?

It's nice to come up with all these ideas, but far better to see them get used.

I can easily come up with other non-Arc rewards, too, if you want them. Maybe some ideas for bosses and interesting features. And of course, a bunch of random Duel Avatars.

Regarding the fertility boss, you need to decide whether anyone's discovered them at all in the past relative 4000+ years of the Accelerated World, and how difficult the boss is, and all other forms of control.

You don't want everyone camping the thing.
Old 2013-02-22, 22:10   Link #434
Sunder the Gold

Filling a page with new ideas for non-Arc rewards was surprisingly easy. It's kind of fun to find ways to totally screw with the normal rules of Brain Burst. I don't even feel like this is the limit of what I can come up with.

I also found ways to make the canonical Brain Burst act more like an MMO, through these rewards. Read through to the end, or skip there, for details.

These are special (often one-time use) priveleges which may be earned by defeating certain dungeon bosses or legendary roaming Enemies. If some of these seem less impressive than the others, extend the number of times the winner can use them, or the time in which they retain the privilege (such as up to a real-world year).

1) As mentioned, an additional copy of Brain Burst to share

2) Immunity to the Judgment Blow from one legion master

3) The power to inflict a Judgment Blow on a fellow legionaire as if one was the legion master; does not work against the actual legion master.

4) The power to instantly and automatically retire any one Burst Linker whose Duel Avatar is not of a higher level, at the cost of instantly and automatically retiring oneself.

5) "Life"-long immunity to real-world challenges from one specific Burst Linker.

6) The power to disband a legion by striking a blow against the legion master, and prevent the reformation of the legion for a short time.

7) The power to unilateraly declare a duel a Free-For-All.

8) The power to unilaterally declare a duel a Draw.

9) The power to log out from the Unlimited Neutral Field without a Leave Point.

10) Instant resurrection from death in the Unlimited Neutral Field

11) The power to challenge one specific Burst Linker to a duel in the real-world, regardless of territory (or tag-teams, if such a thing offers any protection).

12) The power to unilaterally challenge an individual Burst Linker to a 2-on-1 tag-team battle.

13) The power to invite additional fellow legionaires into a territory battle, regardless of the number of challengers or without increasing the allowed number of challengers (however that works).

14) The power to throw away your current bonus-choices and pick new ones for your Duel Avatar. The boss for this reward is a mirror-match copy of your own Avatar.

15) The power to upgrade your Duel Avatar with ONE additional level-up bonus, from among those you could have previously chosen. (That is, no choosing a bonus which could only be available at a higher level.)

The power to mutually retire oneself and another, and the immunity from judgment blow, offers an interesting character idea. A Burst Linker whose Legion Master orders to use that power against a particular enemy, and who thus defects from the legion to a different one... they hadn't informed their master about the immunity reward.

A defector from CCC or Aurora Oval, who had been ordered to erase Silver Crow to spite the Black King?

Enhanced Armaments which are not strictly weapons:

1) A flag that, when planted in the ground of the Unlimited Neutral Field which corresponds to your legion's real-world territory, has a negative effect on anyone who isn't part of your legion. The inability (or reduced ability) to charge Special Meter, perhaps.

2) A device which warns you when someone other than your fellow legionaires is inside an area of the UNF which corresponds to your legion's territory. It doesn't tell you who, but merely points in the direction of the nearest invader, like the Guide Cursor of a duel.

3) A free-to-ride pass for the UNF tokyo train system and other forms of vehicular transit.

4) A limited-time discount card for Shops.

5) A sort of credit card for Shops, which allows you to spend from any Burst Points you might earn in the future, rather than charging from the points you currently hold.

6) A house in the Unlimited Neutral Field, into which you can enter the Unlimited Neutral Field without spending Burst Points (or at least enjoying a hefty discount), so long as you don't leave the building. Perfect for someone who wants to run their own shop and actually turn a profit.

7) A workshop: Seperate but compatible with a house, it allows one the privilege to collect Enemy parts (assuming they don't normally leave corpses) and use them to craft items (with no garauntee of success or quality, and no user guide!), which can be sold to other Linkers or even the system itself (with significantly lower rewards) in return for Burst Points.

Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 2013-02-22 at 22:33.
Old 2013-02-23, 22:41   Link #435
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Yeah, in my world, the current game is so bug-ridden that the bosses have stopped spawning so the player economy collapsed and led to the current PVP emphasis. BUT, veterans know how to cause the bug to work in their favor and spawn the boss, allowing them to find it. But killing it can be an entirely different matter; working alone may lack dps, but at least being familiar with the fight or just damn good means you can finish the fight and not get some nob avatar killed in the process.

Occasionally, the boss gets randomly spawned in the UNF instead of his dungeon, which results in a mapcap race to kill it, and sometimes leads to massive world pvp brawls.

@futhre suggestions:

All that is... potentially game-breaking. @_@

When I first came up with the Monster Hunter type PVE gameplay, it was more of avatars going out to hunt for Enhanced Gear sets. These weren't as powerful as the player-spawned ones, but gave minor stat boosts, and if you collected a set you get a Set Power. Occasionally, you'd find ingredients as a drop, and these can be used by avatars who spent BPs (and then wait a period of in-game time, like EVE training) on leveling a profession to make different classes of Enhanced Gear, consumables or trinkets.

I had an avatar based on Recettear for that: she spent most of her BPs on professions instead of stats and so can pretty much craft anything. She employs avatars to go hunt bosses and pays extra if they get an ingredient, then turns that into a piece of Gear for sale. This generates a profit of BPs that she uses as she sees fit in the real world, managing finances of her father's trading company even though she's still a middle schooler. She had a rip-roaring trade back in the old days, but is thought to have quit the game after the collapse of the player economy. She occasionally gets attacked while using BB in the real world, and that's why she still has to go back and make some points, or she'd lose both her in-game and RL business.

Gold Cub helps her find bosses that spawn because of random bugs, or because he knows the trigger sequence for a certain boss.

Other trivia: She's a little... too fond of Gold Cub, sometimes. To the point of being creepy.

Super-rare bosses that add stuff to the game, like an additional copy of BB or a companion avatar, or the one that drops a ring which allows 2 characters to be wed, those I'd like to include. But I'd prefer to stay out of things that directly wreck with something central to canon plot, just in case.

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2013-02-23 at 22:55.
Old 2013-02-24, 00:35   Link #436
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
All that is... potentially game-breaking. @_@
And an Arc isn't?

Further, it's easy to impose proper controls on these perks.

The boss that drops the perk is really tough. The boss is located only in a deep dungeon, guarded by tough mid-bosses. The boss spawns randomly out in the field, anywhere across Japan. Only one person in the raid team can get the perk. The drop rate is less than 100%. The perk can only be used once.

Stuff like that.

Quote:
I had an avatar based on Recettear for that: she spent most of her BPs on professions
Is this another AU element -- the option to spend Burst Points to directly upgrade your avatar? Because in canon, only leveling up provides a "bonus" to spend on getting new abilities (or upgrading old ones).

BPs can be spent at Shops for certain things, though. The power to craft items might be one such choice.

Spending all of one's BPs on shopping would impact a Burst Linker's ability to keep playing, since BP are the lifeblood that allows one to accelerate and survive defeats. But this wouldn't impact an avatar's ability to fight.

A Blue Knight with 1 BP left to his name is still the legendary Level 9 Blue King, with all of the abilities his level up bonuses provide.

Quote:
Super-rare bosses that add stuff to the game, like an additional copy of BB or a companion avatar
Yeah, I'd already been thinking that Fate's Arf in a crossover could be a "pet drop" she got from beating an Enemy in the UNF.

Quote:
or the one that drops a ring which allows 2 characters to be wed
Is this something from SAO?

Would this ring do anything more substantial than make a statement?

Quote:
But I'd prefer to stay out of things that directly wreck with something central to canon plot, just in case.
Well, that's your prerogative.

Did you see the part at the end, with the house and the crafting?

All told, your ideas sound too much like a normal MMO, which doesn't need Brain Burst's Acceleration at all. It just doesn't have any real relation to Accel World.
Old 2013-02-24, 04:57   Link #437
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

The more I look at it, the more I lose hope.

I wanted to say that, "hey, way back then, Burst Brain had all these features when it had a good dev team, but no one cares now because all the original devs were mysteriously slaughtered, the game hijacked, and by the hijackers incompetence the game's many pve features either been nerfed to hell and back, taken out of the game by patches, or is now way too buggy to even be worth bothering."

A lot of it comes from SAO, which in turn was a distillation of features common to Asian MMOs. After that, I just wanted to show what happens to an MMO after it gets old enough, while telling the story of a boy who lost everything to disease and found that it was only right that the Accelerated World belonged to him. Something like go back to the Sumerian ages of the Bursters

Ah well. Back to the drawing board...
Old 2013-02-24, 10:20   Link #438
Sunder the Gold

I might offer advice or try to persuade you of something, but I honestly don't know what you want.

You either want to set a story in a regular MMO like .Hack or Sword Art Online, where something went wrong in an otherwise normal-seeming game...

Or there's something about Brain Burst you really like and can still get, if you accept the fact that it doesn't work like a regular MMO by default, so that introducing more MMO-like features requires some explanation.

But the fact is that the Accelerated World is not just an MMO; it's also a dueling and territory game, where one is forced to keep "playing" even in the real world, unless they turn their Nuero-Linker off.

You CAN'T get to Level 4 and access the MMO without having been a wildly successful duelist. Everyone in the UNF is a fighter. (Possible exceptions like Lime Bell and Corral Merrow exist, where someone assisted their rise to Level 4.)

Some people may have the desire to treat Brain Burst as just an MMO, and they may be fortunate enough to have the power or privilege to do so without getting dragged into the dueling and territorial concerns of the real world... But not EVERYONE is so fortunate, or so inclined. Indeed, relatively few would be.

Like-minded people can form legions, or groups within legions, though. I'm sure there are plenty of dedicated raiding groups in the Accelerated World.
Old 2013-02-25, 05:02   Link #439
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
I might offer advice or try to persuade you of something, but I honestly don't know what you want.

You either want to set a story in a regular MMO like .Hack or Sword Art Online, where something went wrong in an otherwise normal-seeming game...

Or there's something about Brain Burst you really like and can still get, if you accept the fact that it doesn't work like a regular MMO by default, so that introducing more MMO-like features requires some explanation.

But the fact is that the Accelerated World is not just an MMO; it's also a dueling and territory game, where one is forced to keep "playing" even in the real world, unless they turn their Nuero-Linker off.

You CAN'T get to Level 4 and access the MMO without having been a wildly successful duelist. Everyone in the UNF is a fighter. (Possible exceptions like Lime Bell and Corral Merrow exist, where someone assisted their rise to Level 4.)

Some people may have the desire to treat Brain Burst as just an MMO, and they may be fortunate enough to have the power or privilege to do so without getting dragged into the dueling and territorial concerns of the real world... But not EVERYONE is so fortunate, or so inclined. Indeed, relatively few would be.

Like-minded people can form legions, or groups within legions, though. I'm sure there are plenty of dedicated raiding groups in the Accelerated World.
What I want to do is establish an ecosystem built around Burst Points and what we've seen so far, and see how creative I can get. But I think the reason was I went too far with the pve stuff. Once I started thinking about a game built around pvp, I found a much better model. Now to just iron out the details.

But I'm still keeping the idea that you can trade BBs to another person. How else was Kingbolt able to buy a drink from that Bartender?
Old 2013-02-25, 08:23   Link #440
Sunder the Gold

As I said, the barkeep was an NPC. Lightnovel says so. Lotus calls it [Drone].

If it was a Burst Linker, why didn't it get involved in the battle? Why didn't it introduce itself? There are only three Okinawan Linkers, not four.

You also assume that the alcohol cost any BP. It might, or it might be "on the house." (Careful getting drunk in a shop where the price is your "life".)
Closed Thread

Tags
discussion, fanfiction