AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-19, 17:49   Link #41
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

R2 DVD's do not exist for Detective Conan episodes before ep. 135 (so good luck trying to find them... =p). The only format eps 1-134 exist in is in Laserdisc and VHS tape format. Many of which are OUT OF PRINT and have been for a very long time. There hasn't been any reprints done either and many of the R2 DVD's between eps 135-196 have been out of print for about 3 or 4 years now.

What Funi may be doing may seem un-fan-friendly to people who don't get Cartoon Network, but probably will seem very fan friendly to people who do get it.
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 18:15   Link #42
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
R2 DVD's do not exist for Detective Conan episodes before ep. 135 (so good luck trying to find them... =p). The only format eps 1-134 exist in is in Laserdisc and VHS tape format. Many of which are OUT OF PRINT and have been for a very long time. There hasn't been any reprints done either and many of the R2 DVD's between eps 135-196 have been out of print for about 3 or 4 years now.

What Funi may be doing may seem un-fan-friendly to people who don't get Cartoon Network, but probably will seem very fan friendly to people who do get it.
Funny... after getting all geeked up to start ordering me some R2's, I found out that exact thing... *sigh*

But not seeing episodes 1-134 at all is better than supporting FUNimation if they're gonna' do this. As for your Cartoon Network comment - I'd much much much rather not see Detective Conan at all than get a twisted, Americanized version. How the version Cartoon Network broadcasts could be seen as fan friendly is well beyond me. I thought at this point, at the very least, anything that aired on Adult Swim would be safe from this sort of thing... guess not.

Again, I'm sure it seems like I'm making this into a bigger deal than it has to be - I realize that. But like I said, if everyone who cares just passes it off, then there's nothing stopping FUNimation from doing this to shows like One Piece, Naruto, Prince of Tennis, Fullmetal Alchemist, or any of the other shows FUNimation very well could end up with - and with those shows, unlike DC, they have to be seen in order. I need to make FUNimation pay for this the only way I can - by not supporting or buying their releases of DC and encouraging everyone else I know to do the same. If it means not seeing episodes 1-134, then too bad for me - I know my priorities, and I'm sticking to them.
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 19:57   Link #43
Quiddity
Emma Fan

Quote:
Detective Conan news! Grr! I thought FUNimation was past this!
C'mon, you really thought that? Only one company outdoes FUNI, Manga. They go out and license great titles like End of Eva or Gunbuster and the entire fandom moans because we know it will be a disaster. FUNI's slightly different with me. I know from experience that they're not gonna pick up shows I will like in the first place. So I know not to bother with anything they license. Is Detective Conan a good show? Maybe it is. I'll get my chance to figure that out when CN airs it. I know right now, without seeing a single second of it though that I will never buy it on DVD. I feel sorry for those who see their favorite titles picked up by FUNI, I guess I've been lucky thus far that they haven't gotten anything I really like yet

Good luck, fans of DC! But don't expect much of FUNI outside of paying tons of $$ for 3 ep per disc DVDs.
Quiddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 19:58   Link #44
oDin01

I was a bit disappointed with the news of Detective Conan release. I thought they did a great job with Blue Gender, Fruits Basket, Tenchi GXP, and Fruits Basket. Just to put it in simple words Detective Conan was licenced and is being released by Funi as a cash cow. With DBZ being almost finished being released on DVD Funi needs another long series to generate loads of money and that's exactly what their doing. With 3 episodes a disc retailing for $20 the disc it's going to sell well for Funimation with their distribution outlets such as K-Mart and Target.

I sure won't be collecting Detective Conan. You're talking about 100 DVD's that will eat away space and income in the next 5 years. By that time a new media will be introduced just not worth collecting a series such as this IMO. I'll definitly have to check it out on CN when it airs.
oDin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 21:59   Link #45
Suikun

The other thing that baffles me is why is Detective Conan going to Adult Swim since FUNimation, obviously, wants Detective Conan to be their next Dragon Ball Z. I mean, if FUNimation didn't like it when Yu Yu Hakusho was on Adult Swim, why are they gonna' like DC - a show I'm sure they want to get as wide a range of exposure as possible - on Adult Swim? I bet you anything they'll pull another "Yu Yu Hakusho" and request that Cartoon Network move it down to Toonami not even a year after it starts running on Adult Swim.
Old 2004-04-19, 22:26   Link #46
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikun
The other thing that baffles me is why is Detective Conan going to Adult Swim since FUNimation, obviously, wants Detective Conan to be their next Dragon Ball Z. I mean, if FUNimation didn't like it when Yu Yu Hakusho was on Adult Swim, why are they gonna' like DC - a show I'm sure they want to get as wide a range of exposure as possible - on Adult Swim? I bet you anything they'll pull another "Yu Yu Hakusho" and request that Cartoon Network move it down to Toonami not even a year after it starts running on Adult Swim.
alot of people say that Detective Conan will fail badly on Adult Swim and be tranfer over to toonami so when they hack it most people won't complain.

just some thoery anyway
BanditKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 03:16   Link #47
EmperorIceBerg

Don't know if this was posted yet but this is what FUNimation officially said on the matter.

FUNimation has confirmed to ANN that they will be releasing the first two volumes of Case Closed (Detective Conan) on August 24th and that volume 2 will contain episodes 53, 54 and 55, the first 3 episodes of season 3.

According to FUNimation representative Jeff Dronen, the inclusion of episodes from season 3 is "To give fans a look at episodes that will not have been seen on television, yet." When we asked how the rest of the series would be released we were informed that it was too early to dicuss release plans beyond the first two volumes.

Although FUNimation is releasing the first two volumes of Case Closed out of order, it appears that Cartoon Network will be broadcasting the series consecutively.

Also due on August 24th is a Case Closed starter set, including both volumes and a collector's box that can hold seven volumes.

So Vol. 1 is correct, Vol. 2 is to get a taste of what won't be airing (yet, which is the start of season 3), and it will air in order on CN.
EmperorIceBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 08:03   Link #48
Suikun

I... still don't like the way they're going about this... it doesn't sound right the way they're evading answering the question about future releases...

But at the same time, upon further inspection, if Detective Conan... er... Case Closed begins airing on Adult Swim in June for 52 days at 4 days a week, the 52nd episode will air right around the time that second DVD releases... like FUNimation would just pick up where CN left off...

It makes more sense now - I still think FUNimation is shafting the fans in all this - the fans of the original, that is - dub fans who'll watch the changed names and localized version seem to be coming out just fine in all this...

I'm not as burned by this if they aren't actually producing the episodes out of order - it's one thing to release two seperate parts of the show yet spaced out so that they can fill in the gaps and no one will know the difference after the fact, but it's another to pull a Cardcaptors and produce the episodes out of order - as I thought would happen. I guess I'm okay with this... it still seems like the fans are getting needlessly shafted just so the dub fans don't have to wait a few months for the third season DVDs... I guess I'll see how this plays out from here to decide if I buy FUNimation's releases...
Old 2004-04-20, 09:26   Link #49
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

The dub people market is more important than the sub people market. I thought people knew this by now.

And of course they're not going to say anything about future releases yet if it's too early, because they probably haven't made a decision on it yet.
Old 2004-04-20, 12:26   Link #50
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
They may be more important, but I know more than a few dub fans who aren't happy at the name changes.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 20:55   Link #51
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Hmm. I've never seen the series, so you could say I don't care. But I am interested in it, but considering my level of poorness it'd take a very good release to get me buying. Unfortunately this is not it. Anything less than 5 or 6 episodes per disk is no thanks and this BS release is a big turn off too.

Thanks, but again: no thanks. Maybe when I see the boxsets cheap in a few years time.
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 03:36   Link #52
FKALeader

Detective Conan Question

I have been watching this show on adult swim and i pretty much love it, it clicked like one piece did and i wanna watch it always, but one thing that i cant stand is dramatic irony, when does rachel(dunno what her name is in the original Jap release) find out who conan really is or has she if anyone can help i mean i would worship you for the rest of ur natural lives.
FKALeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 09:22   Link #53
Fronzel
Schmuck

Don't bother expecting highly developed plot from a light entertainment show.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 02:10   Link #54
hooliganj
Team Player

Movie 8 was recently released on DVD in Japan, and sure enough, a not to be named fansub group has pounced on it. It was really kind of odd. The murder occurs and gets solved in less time than a TV episode would have taken, and the rest of the movie deals with the Kaitou Kid, who has little to nothing to do with the actual case. Go figure. Still, since I haven't seen any of the TV episodes he's in or movie #3 (subbed, anyway), it was my first chance to see the Kid in action. He's definitely a worthy opponent for the little brainiac. Cool stuff. Now if they would just put Heiji into one of the movies so I could see the rival detective in action...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKALeader
I have been watching this show on adult swim and i pretty much love it, it clicked like one piece did and i wanna watch it always, but one thing that i cant stand is dramatic irony, when does rachel(dunno what her name is in the original Jap release) find out who conan really is or has she if anyone can help i mean i would worship you for the rest of ur natural lives.
Spoiler for only read this if you really want to know:
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 02:57   Link #55
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Hattori Heiji is featured prominently in Movie 7, and has a guest appearance in Movie 3. Movie 8 though has to be the worst Conan movie evar though. Movie 9 is due out in April. It better be better than Movie 8 was.
Old 2004-12-21, 03:53   Link #56
hooliganj
Team Player

7 was "The Phantom of Baker Street", with the VR game about Sherlock Holmes, right? I don't remember Heiji in that one...
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 13:54   Link #57
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Movie 6 was "The Phantom of Baker Street". Movie 7 is "Crossroad in the Ancient Capital".
Old 2005-01-02, 17:29   Link #58
kagelump

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
Hattori Heiji is featured prominently in Movie 7, and has a guest appearance in Movie 3. Movie 8 though has to be the worst Conan movie evar though. Movie 9 is due out in April. It better be better than Movie 8 was.
was it really that bad? i thought it was pretty good
then again... theater experiences are a bit different....
kagelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 00:09   Link #59
guess

I am confused about the order of DVD. I would like to know if dvd has been released to the last ep.

Actually, the dvd starts with season 4? Then season 5 and that is it. Nothing after or before. What happened?

I would like to know the ending. Does anyone know if Jimmy Kudo actually turn back to his teenage self? What happen when Rachel find out?
Old 2006-03-22, 00:23   Link #60
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
I am confused about the order of DVD. I would like to know if dvd has been released to the last ep.
As Detective Conan is still airing in Japan (somewhere around episode 430), the last episode is far from coming out.

Quote:
Actually, the dvd starts with season 4? Then season 5 and that is it. Nothing after or before. What happened?
Here's what's up with the DVDs:

Marketing people have this theory that if the same episodes are out on DVD (new) and on TV (new) at the same time, one or the other will suffer. So, since Conan is mostly episodic, series 1-2 (eps 1-52 or so) aired on TV and series 4 came out on DVD as a "see the episodes that aren't on TV yet!" kind of thing, with the first DVD of series one also coming out as an introduction. The problem, though, is that Conan bombed on TV - or at least failed to get the massive ratings that Cartoon Network wanted, so it got shunted off to the time slot ghetto and no additional episodes were ordered for broadcast.

Of course, the episode order is weird thanks to the Japanese reshuffling episodes in order to not cliffhang two parters on a single tape/LD, so the US/German/etc. airing order is different from the US one.

What this means is that all of these series 4-5 "get them on DVD first" episodes were already in the can, so they came out first. Funimation is now going back and releasing series 1 on DVD, and series 5 as well (and I want to say with an increased episode count all around).

Quote:
I would like to know the ending. Does anyone know if Jimmy Kudo actually turn back to his teenage self? What happen when Rachel find out?
There is no ending as of yet, either for the manga or anime, and as long as Detective Conan is in the anime top 10 every week and the manga artist enjoys working on it, there's no reason for it to stop.

SHINICHI (who the fuck is Jimmy?) does occasionally get big again through various means, including getting drunk while on cold medicine and taking some experimental drugs, but it's always for a short period of time. Ran (who's rachel?) has worked out Conan's identity a few times, but Conan always sets up some kind of ploy to convince Ran that they're not the same (such as having Professor Agase call Ran using the voice changing bowtie).
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shonen