Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2017-01-21, 11:50   Link #301
Serovectra

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Talk about reading miscomprehension.
Reading it again, I did read that wrong.

They were a minority, but there was still far too many of them. The problem with these large scale protests is that it usually leads to rioting. The extremists can't help themselves when they're protected by sheer mass and size. Over 200 arrested is a huge number by any standard, and plenty more who got away with it.
Old 2017-01-21, 12:28   Link #302
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

So you want to tell us that people should stop protesting and accept this idiot, because a minority will always riot?
Old 2017-01-21, 14:03   Link #303
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

It is incredible to see the contrast between the crowds of inauguration day and the ones that have showed today for the Women's March in DC and all over the country. I wonder how the GOP stablisment is feeling at the moment to witness how unpopular they truly are. Here is a live feed of the even:

http://www.livenewschat.eu/2017/01/w...s-huge-crowds/

Here is the tweeter feed of the movement: https://twitter.com/search?q=women%2...Ctwgr%5Esearch
Old 2017-01-21, 14:17   Link #304
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
There are violent protesters on both sides, it's flat out stupid to believe that only the others do. They are minorities but they unfortunately are those that make the head lines.

The real problem is not that they exist, security can deal with them as they do with others, but that behaviour that would have been scrutinized by your own side years ago is becoming more and more accepted. Worse it is actually encouraged by those in power.
Left is way way way more violent. You seen how much property damage the 'Love Trumps Hates" brigade has done?
Old 2017-01-21, 14:59   Link #305
MCAL

https://thesouthlawn.org/2016/06/04/...he-good-earth/

I'll just leave this here...

Also this make a nice history lesson, but the first well known major act of protest in America was the destruction of government property by throwing it into the sea (Littering)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
It is incredible to see the contrast between the crowds of inauguration day and the ones that have showed today for the Women's March in DC and all over the country. I wonder how the GOP stablisment is feeling at the moment to witness how unpopular they truly are.
The turnout was so big, that the March had to be turned into a Rally.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/stat...60772917342208

And this is even better. It's nice seeing how hated Trump and the GOP are around the world
Old 2017-01-21, 15:55   Link #306
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
It is incredible to see the contrast between the crowds of inauguration day and the ones that have showed today for the Women's March in DC and all over the country. I wonder how the GOP stablisment is feeling at the moment to witness how unpopular they truly are.
"Doesn't matter, got elected"?
Old 2017-01-21, 16:01   Link #307
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
It makes me ask a simple question, seeing all these rallies:

Where the Hell Where These People On Election Day?

I hate to take this side of politics, but it seems they had the power to determine which way it went, and now they're crying over something they had the power to change.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Old 2017-01-21, 16:04   Link #308
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This whole only the left is violent meme is dumb. I'm sorry, but remind me which side is inciting violence? Who proclaimed wanting to ban an entire religion, who claimed that most Mexicans entering this country are violent criminals, and who continuously denigrates women? What a surprise guys, you spread hateful and dangerous rhetoric and people's emotions tend to flare up!

Stop falling for such obvious red herring tactics guys. There is nothing to defend here. It's a completely irrelevant topic in the face of overtly fascist sentiments coming from our President. White nationalism has no place in this country and these people are conning the rural Americans into their movement unknowingly.
Old 2017-01-21, 16:13   Link #309
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post

I hate to take this side of politics, but it seems they had the power to determine which way it went, and now they're crying over something they had the power to change.
Their party and the media failed them. Clinton was not exactly the shining jewel of the party, nor was their treatment of the Sander's supporters anything to instill confidence. Add to this the media more or less having the nation believe Clinton had the election in the bag for months prior to election day. The conservative side of the country didn't grow in strength this election cycle...the liberal side stayed home, and the middle voted for third parties or "none of the above". The Liberal media can only blame itself for this outcome and they know it.
Old 2017-01-21, 16:13   Link #310
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
"Doesn't matter, got elected"?
Which precisely underscores the tangible quite dangerous state the US and the world are currently in, we are in the mists of massive volatility, where fear and uncertainty hang over the world like clouds. Logic has no say in world ruled by untamed emotion.

I will elaborate on this point further in my next post as I am short on time at the moment, but I must highlight the fact that Trump was elected on a mostly emotional basis, and anyone who supports Trump does so at the cost of rationale and logic.
Old 2017-01-21, 16:14   Link #311
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Their party and the media failed them. Clinton was not exactly the shining jewel of the party, nor was their treatment of the Sander's supporters anything to instill confidence. Add to this the media more or less having the nation believe Clinton had the election in the bag for months prior to election day. The conservative side of the country didn't grow in strength this election cycle...the liberal side stayed home, and the middle voted for third parties or "none of the above". The Liberal media can only blame itself for this outcome and they know it.
And I'm sure all those voter suppression laws the Republicans passed (Including closing hundreds of polling places) due to the gutting of the voting rights act probably helped.
Old 2017-01-21, 16:33   Link #312
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Ian McKellen sums up the Trump presidency so far.
Old 2017-01-21, 16:41   Link #313
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post

In states that voted Clinton? Or maybe getting vote suppressed? Or maybe neither of those things, and they just got outvoted. Even a minority party (which, technically, Clinton's isn't...) can organize big demonstrations.
Old 2017-01-21, 17:29   Link #314
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serovectra View Post
Implying Trump supporters are the violent ones.
TBT I am not afraid of violence in the form of some broken windows. What I am afraid (specially if jeff sessions goes to the DOJ) is that in rural violence (and even murder) against minorities becomes the new normal and that paramilitary groups start to mimic the Bundy family tactics every time people oppose Trump's most nefarious policies.

Of course, I am eager to be proven wrong, but the violence I am talking about will be slow and silent, think about the ambience in the Shiki anime.
Old 2017-01-21, 17:47   Link #315
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
Ian McKellen sums up the Trump presidency so far.
Now that's how to use the best meme that involves your best friend.
Old 2017-01-21, 18:50   Link #316
MCAL

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/...37251667709952

The insecurity there is amazing...

EDIT: His lie is now a twitter hashtag #Spicerfacts

Last edited by MCAL; 2017-01-21 at 23:36.
Old 2017-01-21, 19:47   Link #317
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
This whole only the left is violent meme is dumb. I'm sorry, but remind me which side is inciting violence? Who proclaimed wanting to ban an entire religion, who claimed that most Mexicans entering this country are violent criminals, and who continuously denigrates women? What a surprise guys, you spread hateful and dangerous rhetoric and people's emotions tend to flare up!

Stop falling for such obvious red herring tactics guys. There is nothing to defend here. It's a completely irrelevant topic in the face of overtly fascist sentiments coming from our President. White nationalism has no place in this country and these people are conning the rural Americans into their movement unknowingly.
Well to be fair... the Left does seem to see any form of Nationalism as being Hitler and treats the fears and worries of the poor with silence as best, and insult like "dumb white bigots" at worse. It also has a very very black and white morality towards a large number of subjects and reacts with righteous aggression toward discussion. To be blunt, the Far Left has pushed thing too far and deluded itself that it's centralist.

So unsurprisingly the Right and Nationalism in general been making a massive resurgence in the last year or so. Trump part of the wave, Brexit happen as a reaction against the Far Left Wing politics of the EU and you can bet there going to be a lot of explosive changes in the governance of European nations over the next few elections with the end of the EU seeming more of a case of when than if.

Personally I don't think the Left going to do too well until it closes the gap between the worlds of policy makers (who tend to be well...rich and middle class) and the working classes, and will keep losing till it changes.

Or to put it another way, Trump won because he heard the fears of the rust belt and said "trust me, I know your pain and will do something about it".... through it is far easier to blame Russians and fake news I guess.
Old 2017-01-21, 21:21   Link #318
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
Or to put it another way, Trump won because he heard the fears of the rust belt and said "trust me, I know your pain and will do something about it".... through it is far easier to blame Russians and fake news I guess.
Don't delude yourself thinking Trump is part of a far reaching counter-revolution. It is clear to see why he won.

1) Hillary Clinton. Eight years ago she lost the new kid on the block (Obama) because she is too far center right to be palatable to many voters. Remember her husband went “so far as to outflank President Bush from the right” and she was no different.

2) Wikileaks/Russia. The effect of all the revelations made public by wikileaks has an impact into the campaign. There is plain for everyone to see that wikileaks made no relevant revelations about Trump, it is clear that the playing field was not level.

3) Poor re-training. Japan has moved most of its manufacturing to other countries, but they have trained their work force to make new jobs. Dunno who to blame but that effort has not been made in the USA, I heard from a reuters interview when a worker answered about free government training programs "Do you want fries with that". People are sincerely waiting for the old jobs to come back, nobody has told them that it is not an option to re-train, it is a must. That is why Trumps empty promise of bringing manufacturing works echoed in the minds of many. When he fails to deliver it is clear to me that he will blame "evil mexicans" and many will eat it. We have a phrase for that "Darle atole con el dedo". which basically means "the goverment is feeding us lies".
Old 2017-01-21, 21:38   Link #319
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
That is why I consider Trump being Elected the just and fair outcome. I don't like the guy but he clearly won fair and square, and the United States deserve everything they earned.

And the result is a president who is outright lying about the crowd size of his inauguration and blaming the media for telling the truth. This is what Americans deserve. You want a 24//7 liar in the White house, and now you got him.
Old 2017-01-21, 21:38   Link #320
james0246

Quote:
I wonder how the GOP stablisment is feeling at the moment to witness how unpopular they truly are.
They probably feel the same as they've felt before: who cares? They have weathered far worse protests over far more immediately pressing matters, so why should they care at all that a large amount of people (obviously not a majority) currently hate them? Even of they lose that power in two years (or even in a year if Trump or his advisors are stupid enough), it won't matter, they currently have the power to fundamentally change the political landscape for at least the next decade. So why should they care?

That's not to say that protests do not matter, but their effectiveness wane considerably over time, especially fundamentally pointless ones like the one(s) earlier todays.
Closed Thread