AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-20, 16:48   Link #281
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genten View Post
I'd pick up the series but I've already got a ton of anime on my plate right now. Maybe when all of the anime I'm watching end (they're all only 11-12 episodes).
Drop the zombie crapola for it then. Level E is way better than anything else you'll get to this season.

OT: This anime isn't bad or anything though. I fucking loved the cats although their boss was kinda lame (imo).
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 16:59   Link #282
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

The anime is not following manga.
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 17:21   Link #283
Midonin
Last Engage

As long as the writing is consistent and the show is entertaining, no problem with taking a few liberties.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 20:46   Link #284
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
Manga? I thought this was LN based. Anyway I don't read either so I won't be spoiled.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 22:18   Link #285
Cream

As long as the anime is entertaining and keeps the same basis. I'll watch it to the end then switch up and actually read more than 2 mangas at a time.
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 22:36   Link #286
serenade_beta
☆げしげし☆

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 22:45   Link #287
勝利は単純な魂の中に

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
Huh? Other than the transfer student girl (lol who is that girl?), the anime is following the manga extremely closely. I mean they literally use the some of the exact same lines from the manga...
Avatar of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 22:46   Link #288
Stefkov

I am really liking this but sometimes the animation does drop in quality a bit. I'm confused most of the time because the animation and scenes seems to skip about the place. Maybe that's just me or maybe it's because the basis of this is dreams and reality so things get pretty funky.
Stefkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 00:32   Link #289
drsypher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar of Dreams View Post
Huh? Other than the transfer student girl (lol who is that girl?), the anime is following the manga extremely closely. I mean they literally use the some of the exact same lines from the manga...
This. Any other changes have been just moving some things around a bit and changing a few minor details. Also, as far as I know, the teacher isn't in the manga either.

Spoiler for ep 3:
drsypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 01:10   Link #290
Tsuyukusa
King of Carrot Flowers

This is the first episode where I noticed the "focusing on all the wrong things" problem. It really got in the way during the fight. I was left a little confused as to where those giant things that fell from the sky landed. It looked like they landed on Yumejii and Merry...but I guess not.
From the ads, I expected the winged character to be male. I guess I overlooked the breasts.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable episode overall. This is still my favorite series this season.
Tsuyukusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 04:10   Link #291
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genten View Post
One standout facet of Yumekui Merry is definitely the art. The art is very stylish. Full of colorful pastels (reminiscent of the art in Index) contrasted sharply with the darker pallete of the dream world allows the anime to shine. Not only that but the colors chosen for the dream sequence involving Serio and Yumi is beautiful: the happy, over exposed colors contrast with Serio's (believed) death. It was a fun sequence to look at although I do feel sorry for the two of them.

I love the character designs of this show. Every character has a distinct look: even Yumeiji, who stands out when he could have easily been overshadowed by Merry. Merry's design is fun and gaudy: although the coatails bug me particularly she is certainly an expressive character (and who doesn't love the navel tattoos?). Even Yumeiji's friends, which could easily be passed off as forgetable background characters, are unique. I especially like Yumeiji's teacher: his design sticks with me. Yumi also has a wonderful design: I am in love with her hair, which is either a stylish red or glowing pink.

The show certainly poses a lot of mysteries. The anime is two episodes in and Yumeiji and Merry have not entered a true partnership yet. It moves very slowly but, as I've said earlier, that's a good thing as I use the anime to relax and unwind. As long as the mysteries are resolved eventually I don't particularly care what the pace of the series is.

Did anyone else enjoy the donut scene in episode 2 as much as I did?
Agreed.

The father was indeed a nice minor supporting cast addition, I was hoping he would be after I saw ANN list Hughes' (FMA) voice actor for him as I said earlier in the thread. And loved the hints from this one like the clarification of Yumeji's passing between real/dream worlds and the couple of characters that made a mark in ep 2&3 and with another new seemingly important character showing up next it looks like the next piece of the story is about to start.

Hehe yeah I did, the way they animated it plus her line about it being "reality's treasure" lol, oddly I had the opposite reaction in Shana lol, maybe it's because Merry started more naturally rounded leading up to it and the entire show's tone is quite different, I'm not sure lol.

I also liked the dounut scene where she was drooling over the dounut, I think it was the dounut clouds scene lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Spoiler for Yumekui Merry 03 - Leave all behind:
Yeah, really good setup episode, can't wait for ep 4. Looking forward to the new major character, the winged warrior-girl from the OP and official site seen at the end.

Spoiler:

Plus we need more John Doe soon! So hopefully he'll have some scenes coming up soon...

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-01-21 at 04:44.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 04:14   Link #292
antigone

diss show continue to go downhill because its not following the source material fatefully.
antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 04:18   Link #293
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

This show is now my weekly dose of DEM V*GINA BONES" DAT FANG, donut-eating, dream-eating, BroDERE Merry. Now with the characters now in position to make "the bad dreams" go away, let's see what unflods on the other side. I really feel the Yumeji is the same as Merry, a lost person who can travel in dreams and reality. I really want them to develop some connection. Yup, reminds me of Shana, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antigone View Post
diss show continue to go downhill because its not following the source material fatefully.
Are you sure? Isn't the latest episode from chapter 4 of the manga?
Old 2011-01-21, 04:55   Link #294
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haru~ View Post
This show is now my weekly dose of DEM V*GINA BONES" DAT FANG, donut-eating, dream-eating, BroDERE Merry. Now with the characters now in position to make "the bad dreams" go away, let's see what unflods on the other side. I really feel the Yumeji is the same as Merry, a lost person who can travel in dreams and reality. I really want them to develop some connection. Yup, reminds me of Shana, too.

Are you sure? Isn't the latest episode from chapter 4 of the manga?
Yeah not sure what he's on about, I only checked out a bit of the manga just before this started just to see what it was like but other than some slight rearranging of a few elements as mentioned by Avatar of Dreams and drsypher pretty much everything's been following the manga, so I'm not really following what antigone is talking about.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 07:37   Link #295
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Yumekui Merry Episode 3

Oh boy, why is this show so darn addictive? It's probably the work of the director. I've heard great things about his other show Casshern Sins, and as a Heartcatch Precure fan I must see it someday.

Yumekui Merry has incredibly beautiful and variant dream world settings, which will undoubtedly help spice up action sequences later on. It gives the added advantage of being able to vary depending on the character focus.

If this becomes an episodic series about various people and their dream demons, I won't mind one bit. The stories introduced so far have been intriguing and fascinating. However, considering what happened to the dream demon last episode and how this episode ended, I can easily see this headed towards an overarching plot, most likely an action-based story arc. That would be great too. With an excellent staff and director like this, they'll probably make magic out of the story wherever the manga goes.

Am I the only one who finds that transfer student out of place in this show? She's definitely the most uninteresting character so far. I'm glad she hasn't been absorbing too much screentime. Hopefully she'll be more interesting later on.

Minato was freaking adorable. I could spend the whole day taking cute screenshots of her. It certainly didn't make me happy to see that she was manipulated by Ichima. As for Ichima, her villainous breakdown was absolutely hilarious, intentional or not.

I'm really starting to like the main characters of this show. They seem a lot more cool-headed and rational than most shounen action characters. It helps that this anime is seinen, perhaps, but I think it's just good writing.

Here's an omake for Merry midriff fans.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 08:53   Link #296
drsypher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Am I the only one who finds that transfer student out of place in this show? She's definitely the most uninteresting character so far. I'm glad she hasn't been absorbing too much screentime. Hopefully she'll be more interesting later on.
I agree. At first, I figured she was out of place to me as she's an anime only character and I didn't recognize her, but I felt her quick scene in this episode felt really of out of place too. I imagine we'll be seeing much more of her towards the end of the season since I suspect she was created for the purpose of having a suitable season-ending arc of sorts.
drsypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 13:14   Link #297
Nikanoru

Ah, this was a fun episode. :3 Am I the only one who thought Ichima was kinda cute in her own very creepy way?
Nikanoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 13:15   Link #298
kitten320

Not bad but I'm more interested in episode 4 now, seems we will get something a bit dark and dramatic
Old 2011-01-21, 13:31   Link #299
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanoru View Post
Am I the only one who thought Ichima was kinda cute in her own very creepy way?
Yep, but I'd personally emphasize on the creepy part. lol
Old 2011-01-21, 16:20   Link #300
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 3:

Tags
fantasy, moe, seinen