Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-16, 18:12   Link #1
pinomustfly

Believeable war anime?

Hello.
I've watched very many different anime, and I like lots of different types. Everything from Puni Puni Poemi to Jigoku Shoujo is great in my eyes.

However, I really miss an anime set during a believeable war. Not a samurai war like in Basilisk or a Mecha war like in Evangelion. I mean, something like WWII. Doesn't have to be WWII, but you know, where two lands/regions battle each other with armies etc.

The setting doesnt have to be a real war, just like it. Please help me out ^^ - .

I can buy DVDs, so licensing is no problem.
Old 2006-04-16, 23:33   Link #2
jedinat

No swords... no mecha... But then it would be boring.

If you want an anime about war the best place to look would probably be the Gundams... can't help you with tedious tank/machinegun warefare.
Old 2006-04-17, 04:50   Link #3
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 8th MS Team is a land warfare anime and is on the "realistic" side of the Gundam phenomena. The first episode starts out in space, but after that it's all land. It's about the conflict in south east Asia during the One Year War depicted in Mobile Suit Gundam, where Federation forces clash with Zeon forces. Like the title says, it's about the 8th mobile suit team of the Kojima Battalion equipped with RX-79[G] Ground Gundams. The Gundams themselves aren't the flying super robot type, they're solid ground weapons with thick armor equipped with machine guns and cannons, although they do also have the traditional beam saber and later on some are equipped with beam rifles. I really like it, and you should check it out.
Old 2006-04-17, 06:37   Link #4
Renesis-C
Senior Member...?

I don't see how samurai wars are un-believable.... you do realise there was a point in human history where swords were the most advance weaponary....
Anyway, I'm not really sure there are any war anime (that is based on an actual event) but you may want to give Jin-Roh, Wolf Brigade (I'm not 100% on the name because i haven't seen it). It's a anime movie, it's supposed to be good, and about a war.
Old 2006-04-17, 06:49   Link #5
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^But I think he wants something like Saving Private Ryan or Black-Hawk Down type of realistic combat with no swordplay or futuristic machines...That's really a tuff one, I can't say I have a suggestion of a series...

The best I got might be Golgo13: Queen Bee...There's lots of militia action that takes place in the jungle with some pretty vicious and violent scenes...It has themes of military camps and are lead by this hawt chick who was raised as a militant her whole life (She gets the ultimate fanservice treatment too)...It also has the concept of Presidential Assasination aswell...Perhaps you know about Golgo 13 who is this really cool "take no prisoners" mercenary soildier...He's like James Bond meets Rambo...There's also a prequel movie to this one if ya wanna know more...sorry that's all I can think of...

Really a tuff request...
Old 2006-04-17, 10:08   Link #6
pinomustfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
^But I think he wants something like Saving Private Ryan or Black-Hawk Down type of realistic combat with no swordplay or futuristic machines...That's really a tuff one, I can't say I have a suggestion of a series...

The best I got might be Golgo13: Queen Bee...There's lots of militia action that takes place in the jungle with some pretty vicious and violent scenes...It has themes of military camps and are lead by this hawt chick who was raised as a militant her whole life (She gets the ultimate fanservice treatment too)...It also has the concept of Presidential Assasination aswell...Perhaps you know about Golgo 13 who is this really cool "take no prisoners" mercenary soildier...He's like James Bond meets Rambo...There's also a prequel movie to this one if ya wanna know more...sorry that's all I can think of...

Really a tuff request...
Thanks, ill check those out.

Quote:
I don't see how samurai wars are un-believable.... you do realise there was a point in human history where swords were the most advance weaponary....
Anyway, I'm not really sure there are any war anime (that is based on an actual event) but you may want to give Jin-Roh, Wolf Brigade (I'm not 100% on the name because i haven't seen it). It's a anime movie, it's supposed to be good, and about a war.
Today 11:50
Of course I am vary of this, but as Im sure you know, most samurai anime contain super-duper techniques and attacks that are far away from what is possible in the real world. Thanks for the suggestions too ^^ -
Old 2006-04-17, 10:33   Link #7
miaka

Romance of three kingdom - based from a real historical setting in china. Those character are real historical figures. However, its old.
Old 2006-04-17, 11:04   Link #8
pinomustfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaka
Romance of three kingdom - based from a real historical setting in china. Those character are real historical figures. However, its old.
Thanks.

I also found a pretty new one, named Zipang.
ANIDB Link.

Could be good.
Old 2006-04-17, 11:11   Link #9
SlugZilla
woofles

Zipang is good. A modern day JDF frigate is transported back in time into the midst of WWII and they are forced to find a way back home. The battles are realistic if you can overlook the past vs future aspect.
Old 2006-04-17, 11:32   Link #10
Renesis-C
Senior Member...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacco
Of course I am vary of this, but as Im sure you know, most samurai anime contain super-duper techniques and attacks that are far away from what is possible in the real world.
Hahahaha, I fully understand what you mean. (re-watching samurai champloo atm )

Well looking through the internet i found:
Chinmoku no Kantai (a few OVA's)
Grave of the fireflies (I know that it's set in WWII, but i think the war itself is not a heavy part of this anime-movie)
Old 2006-04-17, 11:48   Link #11
Shay
Monarch Programmer

MADLAX: War setting, secret agents, lot's of explosions, nice weird story. Check it out.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Old 2006-04-17, 13:20   Link #12
SWPIGWANG

The only war anime that is realistic I can think off the top of my head:

The Cockpit
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=757
http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=216

no super mecha, no uber magic, only good ww2 action and short self contained stories. A Great OVA imo.
---------------------

Other stuff to try out:

A tale of seven cities(?)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=3238

This is an obscure anime, however I love its retro-style in quesi-sci-fi setting. It is written by the same author that wrote the legend of Galatic heros. Too bad the anime is just long enough to be a teaser, imo.

The Silent Service:
Only watch this if you enjoyed Zipang. While the setting is sort of realistic, the sort of events that happens is kind of stretch, so do accept some cheese.

--------------
of course, what is believable really differ by people.....
Old 2006-04-17, 13:33   Link #13
guess

I was amazed that how different everyone's point of view of what a "real" war is.

I recommend "starship operators." It is set in space. But just about the tactics and pyschology of the war is, well, I think, like WWII in space, or maybe on a smaller scale. Very realistic.

No mech (they have to fight with space ship just like in WWII, they fhought with air plane), no samari.

DVD is avaible from geneon.
Old 2006-04-17, 13:34   Link #14
Karnot
Banned

An anime about WW2 ? Get serious, its the same sore loser's shame as Vietnam and Korea for USA.

But there is one particular series... namely "Area 88". Jet fighter Middle East dogfights and general military action, except its about mercenaries, not regular army forces. There is an old OVA and a new TV remake.

There is also Yukikaze, that, while having war with aliens as a theme, depicts pretty realistic army life...to a point...

Last edited by Karnot; 2006-04-17 at 13:54.
Old 2006-04-17, 17:47   Link #15
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnot
An anime about WW2 ? Get serious, its the same sore loser's shame as Vietnam and Korea for USA.

But there is one particular series... namely "Area 88". Jet fighter Middle East dogfights and general military action, except its about mercenaries, not regular army forces. There is an old OVA and a new TV remake.

There is also Yukikaze, that, while having war with aliens as a theme, depicts pretty realistic army life...to a point...
Nah, starsip operators is not like WWII. It is...different. I was only talking about a "real" war and use WWII as an example.
How about give it a try if you are interested in a real war anime?
Old 2006-04-17, 18:30   Link #16
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
Nah, starsip operators is not like WWII. It is...different. I was only talking about a "real" war and use WWII as an example.
How about give it a try if you are interested in a real war anime?
Umm, his post was directed at the OP.

And yeah... umm, Starship Operators is about a little war a bunch of college students are having... and they only could afford their ship if they agreed to turn their fight into a tv show... not exactly the best example of war if you ask me. I watched the first couple episodes and stopped cuz the whole premise was so stupid. (and it bugged me to no end how everyone in the ship could come to a complete stop whenever they wanted to, despite there being NO gravity )
Old 2006-04-17, 18:36   Link #17
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

grave of the fireflies- wartime setting, and also shows the impact of war.
Madlax- politcal war setting
Saikano- another war time setting
area 88- lots of dog fight sequences

info at www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/

non animes( which I would reccomend more for the realism, imo better)

Hollywood:

Windtalkers
Blackhawk down
Saving private ryan- first half hour extremely accurate
The thin red line
Pearl Harbor

Asian:

Tai-guk-gi the brotherhood of war-Very good Korean war movie
Double agent-Another political war setting between south korea and north korea
Shiri

search www.imdb.com for info

btw don't believe in the user ratings, search on google for the korean or asian critical reviews. For the movie.
Old 2006-04-18, 05:11   Link #18
pinomustfly

Thank you very much guys and gals. I really apriciate your effort . I have plenty of anime I'm looking forward to get now ^^.
Old 2006-04-20, 20:28   Link #19
stretch87
Anime Addict

this suggestion my be a little to futuristic for you but it does have some of the most exciting firefights.

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex

i know it doesn't really fit what you're looking for but you may still enjoy it. actually now that i think about it, there is one episode that's a flashback and it's hardcore war exactly like what you're looking for. it takes place in one of those typical half destroyed cities. it's a ground unit vs a sniper
Old 2006-04-22, 07:47   Link #20
pinomustfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch87
this suggestion my be a little to futuristic for you but it does have some of the most exciting firefights.

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
I've seen the whole anime earlier, and I think it is a very good one. Thanks.
I've watched some Zipang now, and I'm impressed. While it wasn't exactly what I had imagined, the story is very good.
Closed Thread