AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-11-04, 09:03   Link #181
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I had a bad feeling about this in the last few weeks. I'm disappointed to see such so-so reviews about this game.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 19:05   Link #182
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Ok, finished it. Nothing occurred in the last two sequences to change my review.

As for the ending, I do wish we'd seen more of the....let's say consequences.

That we didn't, might mean there's an opening for more AC games down the road though.

Anyways, it's kind of a bummer to end the series with a below average story, at best.

If you don't care about story, this is still one of the more refined gameplay you'll get out of the AC games, though I thought the removal of "upgrades" to your health/armor/etc made things easy. I literally didn't buy a single thing the entire game (except the one time the game forces you to for the tutorial section). I'm not even sure what the point of having money was.

In terms of things to do in the sandbox area, I still think AC 2 and Brotherhood far outstripped AC 3.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 19:07   Link #183
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
* I realize the AC director/producer/whoever made that comment earlier saying women couldn't be an assassin, but I can't help but feel that individual doesn't like women at all. I don't think I've ever played a game of the modern era in which there are so few women at all. Major sausage fest.
In all fairness it has to do with the "Animus" since the genetics are passed down through the father. The only time a woman would be available is if she was pregnant with the kid at the time and we can't have that now can we?

Quote:
I had a bad feeling about this in the last few weeks. I'm disappointed to see such so-so reviews about this game.
For a game that calls itself an "assassin" game it really doesn't feel like an assassin game to begin with. Hence why I stopped bothering with the game after AC II.

I mean you got him crashing onto the battlefield and single-handly taking out a platoon and then axing the leader and then you got naval battles...I mean what?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 19:52   Link #184
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
In all fairness it has to do with the "Animus" since the genetics are passed down through the father. The only time a woman would be available is if she was pregnant with the kid at the time and we can't have that now can we?

For a game that calls itself an "assassin" game it really doesn't feel like an assassin game to begin with. Hence why I stopped bothering with the game after AC II.

I mean you got him crashing onto the battlefield and single-handly taking out a platoon and then axing the leader and then you got naval battles...I mean what?
I meant in terms of supporting/side characters. In fact, not counting ignorable homestead characters, I don't believe there's a single female character outside of your mother with more than 5-10 lines in this game. Maybe the wise-woman of your village.

And, yes, there are a few forced stealth missions (failure on detection), but when it isn't enforced, it's far easier to just wade in and press counter, attack or counter, break until there are a pile of bodies around you. Brute force should be the harder path, and nigh near impossible, with stealth and actual assassination rewarded. There's never been an easier AC game than AC 3. Which, if the story wasn't complete shite, I wouldn't have minded so much.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-11-04, 21:16   Link #185
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Liberation is also getting bad reviews, which blows... but, at least I didn't get a Vita just for it. lol

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 23:48   Link #186
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I would also think that it shows just how fragile the will to be good is. In a way the Templers are right in that humans need discipline, and that giving people free will can lead to grave results.
That's basically it! It's all a matter of perspective of what's "good". Good for Templars means peace through control, force, and no free will - that means no more war or conflict because everyone has a hive mind. Good for the Assassins means peace through liberty and the ability to choose - even if it means accepting humanity would always be flawed.

I feel that the Templars genuinely believed they were the good guys, doing what was necessary to keep humanity safe, willingly sacrificing freedom (though not their own) to accomplish it.

In contrast, many of Ezio's targets were simply corrupt and had actually strayed from the intended Templar path. Only Rodrigo Borgia really had any Templar goals in mind.

Now, in this, we return to Templars who genuinely believe they're doing the right thing and don't necessarily need to resort to violence to do it - but they're just as willing to as always and will suffer no impediment to their goals. The more sympathetic enemy, if you will.

So was I the only one whose jaw dropped at the end of sequence 3 it opened up a whole new preceptive for me when they reviled...

Spoiler:

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2012-11-05 at 00:01.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 00:46   Link #187
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I meant in terms of supporting/side characters. In fact, not counting ignorable homestead characters, I don't believe there's a single female character outside of your mother with more than 5-10 lines in this game. Maybe the wise-woman of your village.
The problem with Video Games and movies these days you either have a sausage fest or one where the woman is the top gun and every guy is a moron.

As Yahtzee once said, "rather than being mother teresa or a baby eating monster...couldn't we have something that's between them?"

Quote:
And, yes, there are a few forced stealth missions (failure on detection), but when it isn't enforced, it's far easier to just wade in and press counter, attack or counter, break until there are a pile of bodies around you. Brute force should be the harder path, and nigh near impossible, with stealth and actual assassination rewarded. There's never been an easier AC game than AC 3. Which, if the story wasn't complete shite, I wouldn't have minded so much.
Yeah I wasn't so bothered by it in AC but then in AC2 when it got to the point you can just wade in and do so and so it's just.....not an assassin game at all.

I'm also curious as to why guys like Ezio and Altair got like 3-4 games and Connor only got 1. From what I'm reading the game suffers from that.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 02:26   Link #188
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

One of the big problems (which may have led to poor scripting), IMHO, is that Ubisoft tried to rush AC3 because one of the in-game deadlines (the satellite launch) was getting closer and closer in real-life and they wanted to keep things 'realistic' (imagine if Stanley Kubrick, had he lived longer, had released his 2001 movie in...2005?). They probably were so concerned about this date that they rushed the storyline and didn't bother exploring other outcomes.

Spoiler for Game Ending:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-11-06 at 00:25.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 11:29   Link #189
willx
Nyaaan~~

Hm, these negative reviews are making me hesitate on picking it up for PC .. it's sad that such a series that has focused so much on it's plot is hurting in that very direction..

One of my friends apparently has hermitted himself to play the game over the last weekend so I'll ask him how he's found it..

EDIT: Seems like the reviews aren't all bad..

Last edited by willx; 2012-11-05 at 11:46.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 21:41   Link #190
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

He read my mind.
Old 2012-11-05, 22:28   Link #191
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

I was really enjoying all parts of the game. So many activities, a bit slow in the beginning sequences but it was nice pacing. My only disappointing opinion has to be the ending, all I got to say is....................well at least it wasn't as hard of an impact like Mass Effect 3. Well there are more games coming out of the series.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 03:02   Link #192
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

The combat is better than any AC game but i think the story is weak compared to ACII.
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 16:16   Link #193
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
So was I the only one whose jaw dropped at the end of sequence 3 it opened up a whole new preceptive for me when they reviled...

Spoiler:
If you're obsessive over the animus database entries like me you'll get spoiled halfway through sequence 2 once you put two and two together.

Still, it was a brilliant twist, I grinned like a madman when the reveal came.
And then it became a bit of a disappointment when by the game's end it remained the one and only good twist in the game.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 21:01   Link #194
Siphine
The Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
He most likely to be half-white and half-native American, just like half-Christian and half-Muslim of the first one, Altair.
HOW DID YOU KNOW

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Siphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 21:10   Link #195
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
If you're obsessive over the animus database entries like me you'll get spoiled halfway through sequence 2 once you put two and two together.

Still, it was a brilliant twist, I grinned like a madman when the reveal came.
And then it became a bit of a disappointment when by the game's end it remained the one and only good twist in the game.
Well granted they could've dabbled a bit more into it the how and why that particular thing happened. Hopefully we get a little dlc pack explaining it further.

Other then that this game is pretty sweet especially the hunting which reminds me of another favorite Red Dead Redemption. Hey maybe we'll get an AC game that takes place during the time of the Western expansion though I still would like one based around the French Revaluation.
Old 2012-11-06, 21:17   Link #196
Siphine
The Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Other then that this game is pretty sweet especially the hunting which reminds me of another favorite Red Dead Redemption. Hey maybe we'll get an AC game that takes place during the time of the Western expansion though I still would like one based around the French Revaluation.
The only problem with a French Revolution based AS is that there wouldn't be any newer technology in that era, pretty much every AS had a certain amount of technology that made it harder or more fun to play Ex: bayonets, rifles, crossbows, dual hidden blade, bombs, hook blade, and rope blade

Old 2012-11-06, 22:25   Link #197
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

If we are going by Technology base then the next major technology boom would mean Assassin's Creed 4 would take place in the Industrial Revolution or something later like World War 1.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 22:26   Link #198
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
If we are going by Technology base then the next major technology boom would mean Assassin's Creed 4 would take place in the Industrial Revolution or something later like World War 1.
Why does it have to take place in the past at all?

AC 4 set in the aftermath of Desmond's decision at the end of AC 3 could be quite interesting.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-11-06, 22:26   Link #199
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Honestly, a clash between the old and the new in Japan (just at the beginning of the Meiji Era, circa 1868) would be a perfect setting for the next Assassin's Creed. Of course, I wouldn't mind if we go back in the Japanese medieval era; however, a period of clashes is a perfect setting as it always has been in previous games.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 22:59   Link #200
Siphine
The Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Honestly, a clash between the old and the new in Japan (just at the beginning of the Meiji Era, circa 1868) would be a perfect setting for the next Assassin's Creed. Of course, I wouldn't mind if we go back in the Japanese medieval era; however, a period of clashes is a perfect setting as it always has been in previous games.
It would be kinda hard since his ancestors are mostly from Europe... oh wait... thats right he's dead nvm, yeah, reminds me of the game Total War Shogun 2, there is a add on in it, because its base game is based on the Sengoku Jidai period, anyways, it takes place during the war between the Imperials and Shogun supporters forgot the name of the war though... So yeah itd be awesome for AS to do that... actually it would be cool if they did WWI since they still use sabres and calvary but then they could add on biplanes and tanks and such but still you get my meaning...