View Poll Results: do you feel musical cliche exists within cyberpunk anime
yes 0 0%
no 1 100.00%
somewhat 0 0%
increasingly less so 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-05-02, 13:29   Link #1
breezy89

musical cliche in cyberpunk anime? (can you help?)

hi everyone my name is iain i'm a music student and i'm doing a dissertation all about the music in cyberpunk anime. i was hoping i could put out a few questions and you all could have a a good chat about them the answers don't have to be super academic or anything like that and please feel free to talk about any aspect of the topic that comes to mind, just as if i had just raised the questions in casual conversation. please answer/discuss any or all the questions that you feel like. so anyway the questions are:

what do you feel are the musical cliches within cyberpunk anime?

how do you feel the music in cyberpunk anime contrasts with other examples of the cyberpunk genre from outside of japan?

have you noticed a greater contrast in the music of japanese cyberpunk anime and the music in cyberpunk in the rest of the world when the production values of the projects are higher?

thanks everyone!
breezy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-14, 22:31   Link #2
Tetra Vaal
Banned

I'm really having a hard time trying to grasp what you're asking. I don't notice any "cliches" when it comes to the music in cyberpunk anime, especially since it's a narrower genre than most. If anything, music in cyberpunk anime is far more unique and refreshing than most anime soundtracks... a perfect example of this is Kenji Kawaii's scores in both of Mamoru Oshii's GiTS films. Not only does the music still hold up to this date, but I still find myself struggling to find other instrumentalists that make scores as meditating and memorable as Kawaii. If anything, most cyberpunk music fits the aesthetic of the anime in question.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 05:59   Link #3
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Funny... I just mentioned Bubblegum Crisis in another thread. It was billed as a Cyberpunk Classic.

Check it out.

http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/movie...blegum-crisis/

Oh, and there's this, nevermind that 2040 crap, this is the original... the long forgotten Oomori Kinuko. Dig that 1980's sound... classic OP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSggDCal5lA

That's the live action promo vid. Here's the same song, but showcasing the artwork of the legendary character designer, Sonoda Kenichi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWPQsPY6pmY
Old 2011-06-23, 17:26   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I think if you're going to do a paper you should really widen your scope from cyberpunk anime to cyberpunk TV, games & film, so you have a larger pool to work with.

Tags
cliche, cyberpunk