AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2008-02-02, 22:33   Link #841
HoyaSaxa

Whoa, I haven't even read the chapter yet, but much controversy going down with the smoking. Personally I don't see what the big deal is, I don't approve of it but I respect someone's right to choose. That being said, since this is a fanfiction based upon fictional cartoon characters, it always becomes questionable when real life issues are presented. For the most part when I watch a series or read a fanfic about that series a certain amount of denial ability has to be exercised. Ex- Young children drafted into a military organization won't suffer any negative psychological repercussions in the future.

Within AUs it becomes even more difficult to stay "true" to a character's personality. Everyone is arguing that it is too unbelievable for Nanoha to even attempt smoking. However, without having gone through the same experiences she did in the series, this isn't the same Nanoha. I don't expect Satashi's Nanoha to react to any situation the same way Strikers Nanoha would. All the characters in Satashi's story are closer amalgamation of real life teenagers; I don't know about the rest of you, but high school ran rampant with drugs, sex, and alcohol. Having said that, I don't believe Satashi would ever diverge too much from the Nanoha we all know and love.

tl;dr- trust the (experienced) author to write their own fic.

Page Claim
HoyaSaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 22:47   Link #842
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoyaSaxa View Post
Whoa, I haven't even read the chapter yet, but much controversy going down with the smoking. Personally I don't see what the big deal is, I don't approve of it but I respect someone's right to choose. That being said, since this is a fanfiction based upon fictional cartoon characters, it always becomes questionable when real life issues are presented. For the most part when I watch a series or read a fanfic about that series a certain amount of denial ability has to be exercised. Ex- Young children drafted into a military organization won't suffer any negative psychological repercussions in the future.

Within AUs it becomes even more difficult to stay "true" to a character's personality. Everyone is arguing that it is too unbelievable for Nanoha to even attempt smoking. However, without having gone through the same experiences she did in the series, this isn't the same Nanoha. I don't expect Satashi's Nanoha to react to any situation the same way Strikers Nanoha would. All the characters in Satashi's story are closer amalgamation of real life teenagers; I don't know about the rest of you, but high school ran rampant with drugs, sex, and alcohol. Having said that, I don't believe Satashi would ever diverge too much from the Nanoha we all know and love.

tl;dr- trust the (experienced) author to write their own fic.

Page Claim
Thanks, that's what I was trying to get across ^^ I approve of your post, minus the page claim you took from me

edit:

bumping poll: http://snappoll.com/poll/249380.php

edit x2:

sneak peak
Spoiler for Z or R twice:

Last edited by Satashi; 2008-02-02 at 23:09.
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 23:48   Link #843
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
sneak peak
Spoiler for Z or R twice:
Oh jeeze. Memes? In my Nanohafic? It's more likely than you think!

Well, to be fair, in my own fic, one of the insults thrown at teenage!Vivio is "Boatlights".
Old 2008-02-02, 23:59   Link #844
Kourin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoyaSaxa View Post

Within AUs it becomes even more difficult to stay "true" to a character's personality. Everyone is arguing that it is too unbelievable for Nanoha to even attempt smoking. However, without having gone through the same experiences she did in the series, this isn't the same Nanoha. I don't expect Satashi's Nanoha to react to any situation the same way Strikers Nanoha would. All the characters in Satashi's story are closer amalgamation of real life teenagers; I don't know about the rest of you, but high school ran rampant with drugs, sex, and alcohol.
I agree about the discrepencies between reality and fanfic. However, I think the AU shouldn't determine the character entirely. If anything, the character's personality imposes limitations on the AU's setting and situations so as to remain true to the original characters. If things become too OOC, fanfic loses its meaning.

Furthermore, quirks/changes/reactions extended from the character's personality within a created setting is still in-character I think. OOC is when something is not believable.

It's one thing to experiment (I can see her trying it for fun with friends, just like the alcohol), but to calculatingly use it to meet people is another thing. the smoking itself is not the issue rather Nanoha's choice of method to achieve what she wants is OOC.

Nanoha, I think, is a straightforward and optimistic person who would want to be recognized for her talent and not "who she knows". Without the events of the original series, she would probably be more naive and more inclined to believe in her ideals. Besides, there are other ways, e.g. just talking to people, being professional and creative, responsible, taking advice and criticisms from colleagues positively and seriously, not be bitchy etc...

and yes, the smoking thing in itself is a minor part of the overall fic. the amount of discussion about it makes it feel like it's being blown out of proportion. But nowadays when it's hard to be original, the little creative details are the things that distinguishes a piece of work. So discussion about it is inevitable. And it's being discussed because people pay attention to this fanfic.

Last edited by Kourin; 2008-02-03 at 00:48.
Kourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 00:17   Link #845
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

@Kourin:Well at least now I know that being original does stir up some trouble :P I'll try and keep that in mind.

Oh, and you can delete your own post :P just edit then click delete
Old 2008-02-03, 00:21   Link #846
Kourin

Quote:
@Kourin:Well at least now I know that being original does stir up some trouble :P I'll try and keep that in mind.

Oh, and you can delete your own post :P just edit then click delete
thank you. I dunno why I missed the delete button when it was right there... >_>
Kourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 00:37   Link #847
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
While although yes this whole thing is being blown out of proportion, you've also got to realize that in a sense, people are trying to 'protect' Nanoha as if they were protecting their own sister. It's only natural when the siblings, or parents freak out, just because they're worried out of their minds.

Although yes we may be taking this to an extreme point, the means don't justify the ends in this care. Besides, isn't Nanoha one who lives by her own convictions? I had always figured your Nanoha would be against smoking regardless, so that really bothered me and all.
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 03:48   Link #848
Kirika-chan
Fate's fan

Quote:
Awww cannot wait for the next chapter T.T (Father's kick!) XD Please, update soon >.< !!

And for Nanoha's panties ... Sexy lingerie XD!!!
Kirika-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 09:27   Link #849
Gillian
sitting on NxF bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirika-chan View Post
Awww cannot wait for the next chapter T.T (Father's kick!) XD Please, update soon >.< !!
I can agree with Kirika-chan

pls update soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirika-chan View Post
And for Nanoha's panties ... Sexy lingerie XD!!!
true, true
Gillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 12:59   Link #850
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Wow. Just wow. That's all I could really think right now. Mom was still going on about how disappointed she was in me, pushing almost five minutes now. Dad still hasn't said anything but I knew it would come as soon as mom was finished. Honestly I would have preferred to be yelled at. This soft scolding about how sad she was that I would go behind her back instead of asking permission was really getting to me. If I wasn't so trying to act really mature and grown up right now I'm sure I would probably be tearing up and sniffling. Fortunately for me, my sister took my side and my brother joined in after a few moments. With their combined help I was able to talk my mom out of punishing me outright and instead got asked a question that I really didn't want to answer. Was I keeping anything else from them? Oh wow, I really don't want to answer that. Looking into my mom's eyes I knew that I had no choice. They would find out sooner or later and right now seemed to be the best time to come clean.

Saved by the Bell XI
By: Satashi

Sneak Peak!
Spoiler for Bark!:
Old 2008-02-03, 14:00   Link #851
Kirika-chan
Fate's fan

Quote:
Wow. Just wow. That's all I could really think right now. Mom was still going on about how disappointed she was in me, pushing almost five minutes now. Dad still hasn't said anything but I knew it would come as soon as mom was finished. Honestly I would have preferred to be yelled at. This soft scolding about how sad she was that I would go behind her back instead of asking permission was really getting to me. If I wasn't so trying to act really mature and grown up right now I'm sure I would probably be tearing up and sniffling. Fortunately for me, my sister took my side and my brother joined in after a few moments. With their combined help I was able to talk my mom out of punishing me outright and instead got asked a question that I really didn't want to answer. Was I keeping anything else from them? Oh wow, I really don't want to answer that. Looking into my mom's eyes I knew that I had no choice. They would find out sooner or later and right now seemed to be the best time to come clean.

Saved by the Bell XI

Sneak Peak!
Spoiler for Bark!:
You're mean Y.Y (you like that huh? )
Always...cannot wait >.<
And... poor Nanoha... (Shiro doesn't says anything for the moment...I'am sure he will kick Nanoha soon!) XD
Kirika-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 14:26   Link #852
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
This stabs me particularely hard, especially because I know how this feels, getting one of those scoldings not too long ago. It was my fault, I know that, but that only makes it worse. You can't do anything except look at the floor feeling absolutely misserable, wishing for a time-machine so you could just turn back and do it over again.

Anyway, on a more happy note, I decided to get started on the Nanoha Dating Sim I promised a while back. Exam Projects are finished (one of the few who passed, woo!) so I think I can get this started.

The title, cornily, is Raising Heart. Yet, it fits somehow, no?

Spoiler for Raising Heart:
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 14:49   Link #853
Sam the Onion
Fading in-between

Quote:

Saved by the Bell XI

Sneak Peak!
Spoiler for Bark!:
I have missed so much in my childhood... Never was I scolded like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
This stabs me particularely hard, especially because I know how this feels, getting one of those scoldings not too long ago. It was my fault, I know that, but that only makes it worse. You can't do anything except look at the floor feeling absolutely misserable, wishing for a time-machine so you could just turn back and do it over again.

Anyway, on a more happy note, I decided to get started on the Nanoha Dating Sim I promised a while back. Exam Projects are finished (one of the few who passed, woo!) so I think I can get this started.

Tasty. Another dating-sim. Might be hard to keep votes for two different sims once Satashi-sama returns to hers. (Everybody is female until proven otherwise. Logic of Sam.)

Is it just a coincidence that every anime/game has an english teacher as the home room teacher? Well you can't mispronounce in text so there's nothing to lose

A from me.
Sam the Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 14:57   Link #854
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

A

Lyrical days is on pause for now, Keroko has the floor

Go go Yuuno! He would be the best to show her around. Although Hayate/Nanoha is new and very intriguing. I will most definetly be hitting that up later if I can. But for now, yes, Yuuno would be great to get her started.

Go go Keroko!
Old 2008-02-03, 15:02   Link #855
Gillian
sitting on NxF bench

Quote:

Saved by the Bell XI

Sneak Peak!
Spoiler for Bark!:
poor Nanoha

I feel sorry for her

Quote:

i would say B
Hayate and Nanoha for the way

is this the story, in which Fate-chan got a boyfriend and Nanoha dates somebody else?

ps: i thought chrono has blue hair or is this a new char?
Old 2008-02-03, 15:20   Link #856
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
B has my vote XD
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 15:22   Link #857
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian View Post
Hayate and Nanoha for the way

is this the story, in which Fate-chan got a boyfriend and Nanoha dates somebody else?

ps: i thought chrono has blue hair or is this a new char?
ftw is for the win

Chrono's hair is black with blue tint isn't it?
Old 2008-02-03, 15:27   Link #858
BPHaru

B for Raising Heart

Saludos, Haru
BPHaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 15:32   Link #859
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Want to see something new: B
Old 2008-02-03, 15:56   Link #860
Gillian
sitting on NxF bench

Quote:
ftw is for the win

Chrono's hair is black with blue tint isn't it?
good to know
*should study more vocabulary*
thx

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha