AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-04, 07:18   Link #221
Albafica
Pisces no saint

I loved the first seiyuu of Kurapika (same as Fuji Syusuke from Prince Of Tennis). In this first episode of HxH, the new seiyuu was ok. I'm waiting Genei Ryodan arc to tell who I prefer.
Old 2011-10-04, 12:24   Link #222
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
It's boggling me a little bit. Having fully recognized Kurapica as a man and ingrained it in my mind in the original version, my fundamental understanding of Kurapica's gender is shaken in just a few lines. If that's what the director is shooting for in the new version, bravo. It's perturbing how well it's worked.
Even in the original version, Kurapica's gender was a bit of a mystery. Kind of like something you may not believe without seeing him naked. Since his character was built to be more feminine, his voice does not bother me. The problem right now is Gon's voice. And, based on the trend so far (ignoring the storyline by cutting out scenes which are related to the story), Killua's voice might be a problem too (probably we will lose either intensity or fun with the new one).
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 12:56   Link #223
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
the first episode is kinda boring, is this anime suppose to be like fairy tail or something like that? It doesn't seem too interesting the first episode.
Old 2011-10-04, 13:14   Link #224
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
Even in the original version, Kurapica's gender was a bit of a mystery. Kind of like something you may not believe without seeing him naked. Since his character was built to be more feminine, his voice does not bother me. The problem right now is Gon's voice. And, based on the trend so far (ignoring the storyline by cutting out scenes which are related to the story), Killua's voice might be a problem too (probably we will lose either intensity or fun with the new one).
I've only heard Mariya Ise in really girly roles, so I am a bit worried for Killua's voice too, but I'm fairly certain she can make him sound considerably more credible than Kurapica. She seems to have more vocal range and talent, for one.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 14:59   Link #225
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
the first episode is kinda boring, is this anime suppose to be like fairy tail or something like that? It doesn't seem too interesting the first episode.
Kinda. But the manga, at least, (which is considerably older than FT) is rather darker.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 15:02   Link #226
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

For short , HxH 2011 is the HxH original's light version...
We won't see the next event soon...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 17:06   Link #227
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
The world of Hunter X Hunter only appears to be lighthearted.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 17:58   Link #228
christinemarie
Crazy One

This remake seems to follow the route of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood afterall, glad they didn't go for the Dragon Ball Kai route. I hope they change the opening song soon cause I'll still love "Ohayou". This incarnation of Kurapica now reminds me Nurarihyon no Mago's Ranma 1/2-like character don't know his/her name.
christinemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 12:50   Link #229
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Three-way comparison, under the spoiler break. The left is the 1999 series, the middle the 2011 series, and the right is the manga.

Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter Anime/Manga Comparison:
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 13:09   Link #230
Vicious108

Conclusion: The new anime is too colourful.

Well, as long as it gets appropriately darker during the York Shin City arc.
Old 2011-10-06, 13:41   Link #231
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
My worst fear is that talk about Hisoka's character being toned down. If true, that will kill the new anime for many people.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 13:49   Link #232
Vicious108

Well, he's showcased with a glowing crotch in the ED, so maybe it won't be as bad as the reports made it seem.
Old 2011-10-06, 14:06   Link #233
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Conclusion: The new anime is too colourful.

Well, as long as it gets appropriately darker during the York Shin City arc.
I would say the opposite--the old anime was too dark at times. Keep in mind that the screenshots I took from the 1999 anime were directly from the DVD. In several of those screens, you can't even tell where the characters are. I think the colors used during the storm in the 2011 series are perfect--they're detailed enough to the point where you can make out what's going on. And when scenes were supposed to be colorful in the original series, the palette was much too flat and dry.

Also, you have to take into account the motion too. A screen capture can't accurately show it, but the animation in the first few episodes of the series is pretty awful.
Old 2011-10-06, 14:15   Link #234
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Well, he's showcased with a glowing crotch in the ED, so maybe it won't be as bad as the reports made it seem.
The glowing crotch was actually a censorship

As you, I'm hoping they won't downplay him or any fundamental of the original story, like the fight between Leo and Kur on the ship, they didn't even clash blades once... I know its not very important in the story, but oh well.
Old 2011-10-07, 06:18   Link #235
Gooral
Banned

@Toto y Moi

Your screenshot of old anime doesn't do it justice. Compare:

(actual screen is bigger, just click on it)

When it comes to colors old anime is superior by far. Violet water? Seriously? This blue-green fish also looks artificial while bronze/brown looks natural and fits.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 07:35   Link #236
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
@Toto y Moi

When it comes to colors old anime is superior by far. Violet water? Seriously? This blue-green fish also looks artificial while bronze/brown looks natural and fits.
But today's viewers are used to the 2011 color palette for anime. This is suppose to be a kids title.

I can understand the nostalgia but I liked the 2011 series.
Old 2011-10-07, 08:11   Link #237
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
@Toto y Moi

I'll take better caps next time--I had to use MSPaint to edit both because I wasn't on a computer that had photoshop.

But in the first series, the water Gon fished in was blue as the sky--but he's fishing from a swamp. In this series, it's appropriately green. And as far as violet water goes, water actually can be tinted violet tint during night...go to a lake and stay past sunset, and pay attention to the colors.

And as the manga screencap shows, the fish is supposed to look silly--it's hyperrealistic in the 1999 anime, but it's got a goofy grin on in the source material. In the early days of HxH's manga, Togashi drew funny-looking animals like Oda did. The anime is appropriately including those designs from the beginning, rather than introduce them later like the Greed Island OVAs did.

In the next few episodes, however, you'll see material from the manga in the 2011 anime that was removed from the 1999 version (several pages from chapters 5 and 6).

Last edited by Toto y Moi; 2011-10-07 at 08:28.
Old 2011-10-07, 15:16   Link #238
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
The glowing crotch was actually a censorship

As you, I'm hoping they won't downplay him or any fundamental of the original story, like the fight between Leo and Kur on the ship, they didn't even clash blades once... I know its not very important in the story, but oh well.
That didn't happen in the manga either. If you want to say that the old anime was better than the manga, I'll consider it a matter of taste and not argue.

But when it comes to fidelity... well, it's actually too early to tell.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 20:22   Link #239
Clarste
Human

Long story short, the new anime sticks closer to the manga as of episode 1, but it's subjective whether that's a good thing or not.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 08:35   Link #240
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Oh Goddd~ To able to see the gang: Gon, Kurapica, Leorio and Killua () feels awesome! I actually liked the new version. Yes, it colorful. And the character designs seem distorted sometimes, but it's quite enjoyable. So what if it's fast paced, we olders know what happened and the new comers aren't missing anything major.

The BGM is interesting: horns and violens. I think I was reminded by Pirates of Caribbean during the storm.

The opening video is great, but the song is so-kiddy-like-pokemon. On the other hand, the ending totally BLOWS me. The weird combination of auto-tune, techno, piano, then rock and screaming made me O_O;;. This is Hunter x Hunter baby!!

Tags
action, shounen