AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-02, 20:24   Link #22181
Ashaman

True. Its why I privately add a secondary condition.

Namely is this "quirky" behaviour harmful?

So in the cases of Kuroko, Styl and Tsuchimikado, their quirkiness is on the level of "annoying." The latter two may even be endearing.
Old 2013-01-02, 20:33   Link #22182
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

It may be better to use a spectrum to measure mental stability than a category. People may or may not fall into one category or the other. I shall put faith in the DSM-V rather than the DSM-IV-TR.
Old 2013-01-03, 00:06   Link #22183
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
None of the Level 5's have what I would consider a truly healthy mind, barring maybe Mikoto, and even then her inclination to fry people who annoy her, and her near miss with a least one mental break, possibly more, does not exactly let me consider her a pillar of mental stability either.
Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity? Insanity is ... insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting shit to change. THAT.IS.CRAZY.
The first time someone told me that, I dunno ... I thought he was BS-ing me so ~BOOM! I [killed 10031 clones/tried to become No.1/chased down a spiky haired idiot everyday - tried to make a collection of some brand of toy - tried to stop an evil experiment/to blast that lv.0's ass/XXX/XXX/show the power of guts to the world!]. But you know what? He was right!
Old 2013-01-03, 00:18   Link #22184
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

^
Did you just quote Far Cry 3?
Old 2013-01-03, 00:19   Link #22185
Stufu

Character discussion (esper mental stability talk, plot armor, etc) seems to reach no end...

I'm reading it --> oh! another point (some discrimination) --> sigh --> what's next? ==!

should we end this topic? I suggest "just read and stay neutral"
Old 2013-01-03, 00:20   Link #22186
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Yes.

He's not crazy, but I certainly wouldn't say that the Inferiority complex that drives him to attempt murder and kidnap is a product of a healthy mind.

None of the Level 5's have what I would consider a truly healthy mind, barring maybe Mikoto, and even then her inclination to fry people who annoy her, and her near miss with a least one mental break, possibly more, does not exactly let me consider her a pillar of mental stability either.
You forgot her obsession to be the best at all things possible, her inferiority complex when it comes to her womanly assets, her willingness to throw her life away(Sister's Arc), and her obsession with Touma which at points comes off as very stalkerish.
Old 2013-01-03, 01:05   Link #22187
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

1)That obsession of her's to be the best at everything she can just means that she is a bit too competitive. I blame being a level 5 and attending Tokiwadai, which pushes students to be the best of the best. She also has a lot of pride.

2)Inferiority Complex--it's perfectly natural considering her age and the fact she's a middle-school student. All girls/kids are sensitive/insecure at that age, especially if they are undergoing puberty. Which I hope she is, for her sake.

3)Self Sacrifice is a noble, but also stupid concept that is a sure sign of distress and desperation considering that crisis.

4)She has gone beyond stalking if you look at that interaction between her and WORST in NT3. It wouldn't surprise me if she's already planning her wedding.
Old 2013-01-03, 02:11   Link #22188
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stufu View Post
Character discussion (esper mental stability talk, plot armor, etc) seems to reach no end...

I'm reading it --> oh! another point (some discrimination) --> sigh --> what's next? ==!

should we end this topic? I suggest "just read and stay neutral"
*Munches on popcorn*
Once the fires start they take time to burn out or some huge news. Maybe the new volume will do that, but being a forum where people can speak their mind in relative anonymity, they are allowed to do so as long as it doesn't go past a certain threshold.

On another note: Technically speaking, Espers alter their minds to create their own reality and then enforce it on the world with various levels of success. In that manner, they're all somewhat disconnected from the world and probably wouldn't be considered normal by the populace outside of AC or their parents and maybe close friends. That can't do well for their stability overall should they leave the sanctuary/lab environment of AC.

*Sips soda*
Old 2013-01-03, 02:20   Link #22189
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
In that manner, they're all somewhat disconnected from the world and probably wouldn't be considered normal by the populace outside of AC or their parents and maybe close friends.
You mean that's the reason they're not normal, and not because they could shoot fire or lightning out of their finger tips ?

And I've yet to see an Esper who can't differentiate reality even by slightly... Except maybe Aogami.
Old 2013-01-03, 02:21   Link #22190
Stufu

Quote:
*Munches on popcorn*
Once the fires start they take time to burn out or some huge news. Maybe the new volume will do that, but being a forum where people can speak their mind in relative anonymity, they are allowed to do so as long as it doesn't go past a certain threshold.

On another note: Technically speaking, Espers alter their minds to create their own reality and then enforce it on the world with various levels of success. In that manner, they're all somewhat disconnected from the world and probably wouldn't be considered normal by the populace outside of AC or their parents and maybe close friends. That can't do well for their stability overall should they leave the sanctuary/lab environment of AC.

*Sips soda*
haha I guess so.. actually I like discussion (on things related to my works) but I don't like criticize others' opinions...

By the way, I bought my popcorn and soda. May I join you, Twi?
Old 2013-01-03, 02:22   Link #22191
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
By the way, I bought my popcorn and soda. May I join you, Twi?
No food, drinks or cigarettes are allow in here
Old 2013-01-03, 02:23   Link #22192
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
4)She has gone beyond stalking if you look at that interaction between her and WORST in NT3. It wouldn't surprise me if she's already planning her wedding.
... And if she's playing that off as "Let's settle our scores" again for the next X number of books, I think it's high time I give up on her existence as a character in the whole series altogether...

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2013-01-03, 02:32   Link #22193
Stufu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
No food, drinks or cigarettes are allow in here
Darn, those're the rules here?

I don't think she will "settle our scores" anymore, at least, not until things is getting better... I feel like, she is kinda on the offensive in her own tsundere way (is she?) and she most likely wanna help our Spiky hair boy to get out of the situation in her own way (funny way)

By the way, I'll have to get my popcorn and wait for the next rebuttal, ciao
Old 2013-01-03, 02:41   Link #22194
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

The only rules are the ones set by the MODS. *grabs a bag of popcorn and 32oz soda to join the festivities*

Mikoto is trying in her own way to help him, but I think it's just giving Touma extra work to not involve her or keep as safe as possible while trying to solve this crisis.
Old 2013-01-03, 02:51   Link #22195
Stufu

Now we have 3 ; me, Twi and Welsh_Dragon... I prefer diet coke and cheese flavor popcorn LOL

I think her selling point now is trying to get involve as much as possible(even though, Touma try to keep her safe). But I like the plot where there is still a running gag between her and Touma. Someone may find it useless for the story but it kinda relieve the tension in the book.

Actually, I like action comedy stuff
Old 2013-01-03, 03:23   Link #22196
Twi

Quote:
Now we have 3 ; me, Twi and Welsh_Dragon... I prefer diet coke and cheese flavor popcorn LOL

I think her selling point now is trying to get involve as much as possible(even though, Touma try to keep her safe). But I like the plot where there is still a running gag between her and Touma. Someone may find it useless for the story but it kinda relieve the tension in the book.

Actually, I like action comedy stuff
Cherry coke for me.

Mikoto is trying to get involved because she thinks she can ease his burden, but how much help she can truly offer is limited depending on the circumstances. Touma has plenty of justification for leaving her out of his adventures. It's his problems or the problems of others that he's throwing himself into...

Actually, has there ever been a time where he purposely tried to get help on a matter involving him, magicians, and someone needing to be saved?
Old 2013-01-03, 03:33   Link #22197
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Actually, has there ever been a time where he purposely tried to get help on a matter involving him, magicians, and someone needing to be saved?
He called Mikoto to help unlocked a gate.

At the same time he had called Komoe sensei on at least two occasions for info.
Old 2013-01-03, 04:31   Link #22198
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
He called Mikoto to help unlocked a gate.

At the same time he had called Komoe sensei on at least two occasions for info.
True but that's about it with them. They will never be involved further than that so long as Touma has anything to say about it. He did accept the Help of Kanzaki and the amakusa during the Acqua incident. And Lessar's and Sasha's help in Russia and on Fiamma's star of...forgot how to spell it. So he does accept help from magicians at least.

P.S. I prefer Sprite, Sierra Mist or Mountain Dew and I have Bacon flavored popcorn! Mmmm...Bacon.
Old 2013-01-03, 07:59   Link #22199
Destined_Fate

Wouldn't be surprised if Mikoto was already hearing wedding bells while Touma can't hear anything but the sound of that nun he's punching in the face.

Well, why should Touma ask for help too much from anyone really? He seems to be solving all his issues rather easily by punching things in the face repeatedly until something happens. Besides, he's more of the fixer type that prefers going on his own a lot.
Old 2013-01-03, 09:07   Link #22200
Javiersansano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if Mikoto was already hearing wedding bells while Touma can't hear anything but the sound of that nun he's punching in the face.

Well, why should Touma ask for help too much from anyone really? He seems to be solving all his issues rather easily by punching things in the face repeatedly until something happens. Besides, he's more of the fixer type that prefers going on his own a lot.
Well... Miko-chan (Drunk Touma rules) already has the specially dyed, cheating preventing titanium rings she got at Hawaii, so she is finally becoming a little more honest with herself... not so much with the dude in question, and she is jumping too ahead of time if she is already getting rings... poor Miko-chan... poor Touma-san (Kamijou Shiina also rules... in a different way)

Last edited by Javiersansano; 2013-01-03 at 09:18. Reason: missing info
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen