AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-05, 14:10   Link #1
Freakshow
私は異常だ ♥ ♥ ♥

Talking New Manga/Manwha!!

I'm looking for a Romance/Martial arts manhwa (korean) or manga (japanese) where the main guy or the main girl is a good fighter (Really KICK-ASS fighter, u know? ;D) . I'd like it if there was a lot of "gangster" feeling in it, as well ;D No guns, drugs and bloody deaths, though, just that the story unfolds around some sort of gang or league. And the main girl , it doesn't hurt if she's a little tomboyish!

If it is difficult to understand the concept, then I can list some of the manhwa that I've read and liked (really much, that is):

Red Lion (9/10)
Love in the Mask (9½/10)
Honggane (8/10)
She's scary (8/10)
Boarding house of Hunks (9/10)

Okay, that's just a few of the ones I've read but the best ones. And that's the type of manga/manhwa I'm looking for!

Just to make it clear - I'm not looking just for a manga/manha with fighting, if it's not any ROMANCE in it, I'm not interested. Also - NO ecchi, yaoi or yuri. I don't have anything against Gender Bender ;D That's just fine.

UPDATE:

Okay, I've got some suggestions, but let me say this again: I don't want anything Ecchi or Magic. Especially not anything supernatural like Vampires, Magicians or other mystic creatures. I can tolerate that in animes, but this time it's a manhwa I'm looking for! No girls with giant boobs, no horny guys and smut is not to be a main genre. More serious manga/manhwa, please! With real people in the real world with a story that could really happen. (I said COULD happen .. doesn't have to be that likely) If the manga/manhwa is made so that it can be read and liked by some 12 year old girls .. then that's NOT what I'm looking for.

Last edited by Freakshow; 2011-01-06 at 05:29.
Old 2011-01-05, 16:09   Link #2
kitten320

I would say Rosario + Vampire but it does involve ecchi moments... but I really recommend you to read it! Once you get into it, you will forget about echi. Besides it isn't that bad as in anime.
The drawings are not that great at first but as manga progresses, art becomes fantastic.
It also involves harem... but main pairing is kinda established from the begining.

There are a lot of different gangs and organizations that are after the main cast, some are weak but some are really strong. It has nice action too.
The main heroine Moka is very strong when her Rosario is taken off and she is also very cool.
The main hero Tsukune is weak and sometimes a bit annoying at the begining but eventually he grows up as a very cool and strong character.

I really suggest you to give it a try despite some ecchi elemnts and slightly weak art at the start.

It also has 2 parts, first part has 40 chapters and second is still on going and is actually better than the first.

Here are 2 images for comparison:
Spoiler for space:
Old 2011-01-05, 16:43   Link #3
JRendell
Manga Addict

@kitten - those images and what you typed about R+V contain spoilers....
________

The following manga/manwha fit perfectly. They're also brilliant, but based on personal opinion :3

Change 123 (my favourite out of all these)
The Legend of Maian
Mahou Tsukai Kurohime
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Onihime Vs
Freezing
Aflame Inferno

Happy reading!
Old 2011-01-05, 16:54   Link #4
kitten320

How exactly? 0_0
The harem and pairing part is clear from first several chapters but then again manga is not over so who knows what might happen, I might be wrong.

Gangs going after the main team is the typical thing that happens in manga one after another, also not spoilerish.

Moka and Rosario issue is established right from 1st chapter!

Tsukune becoming stronger and cooler also is not a spoiler since main character progresses in each show.

Pictures also can't be a spoiler because 1st pic is from chapter 1 while second same as first one has both of them in one pic (nothing out standing)... I had removed the text on purpose too... What exactly am I missing?! 0_0
Old 2011-01-05, 17:12   Link #5
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Moka and Rosario issue is established right from 1st chapter!
Exactly. It's what the whole story revolves around, and now the OP knows about it. It doesn't really matter what chapter it happens in.

For example, it's like saying;
Spoiler for Bleach Ep 1:
Old 2011-01-05, 19:44   Link #6
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Well I don't see Veritas and The Breaker on your list, so I'll go ahead and recommend them 2.
Heads up tho Veritas ends on a kinda sudden note but it's said there may be a 2nd part of the series to come, who knows tho.
The Breaker is the same but it's 2nd part has already started and under way with 11 chapters, also it's now called The Breaker: New Waves
Also another note is they do have a supernatural element to them but that doesn't really take away from the kick ass ass kicking going on

Just to say I prefer Veritas more between the 2 series.

I'll 2nd Change 123 and History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

Other series to check out could be

Tekken Chinmi Legends - this is really just purely about the Martial Arts and fighting, the whole Tekken Chinmi series is for that matter.

Full Contact is pretty good for some mild light hearted karate stuff, got romance and toyboyish girl, that yea altho tomboyish still very cute

Oh and I can't forget Pretty Face, thing is this is not quite so serious, has some gender bending to it...kinda, very funny tho and an all time fav of mine.

This isn't something that fits but I just have to say it anyway for any fan of manwha, have to have a look at ID, if you haven't I highly recommend that you do in your spare time, awesome manwha!
Old 2011-01-05, 20:10   Link #7
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
Exactly. It's what the whole story revolves around, and now the OP knows about it. It doesn't really matter what chapter it happens in.

For example, it's like saying;
Spoiler for Bleach Ep 1:
Read series description, they mentione even more than that!

Spoiler for Fragment from series description:

I didn't even mention the last part!

Seriously, there is no way you can give a normal description without mentioning some of the bases.

What kind of description do you expect?
A guy named Tsukune went to a new school which happened to be not what he expected and his companion Moka is not normal as he thinks...

It gives slightly different impression and doesn't sound too exciting, don't you think? Actually it sounds quiet standard like, a lot of shows can be described that way, just change the names.
Old 2011-01-06, 04:16   Link #8
Freakshow
私は異常だ ♥ ♥ ♥

I seriously don't give a shit about what happens in Rosario + Vampire, so could u guys stop complaining about if there is or isn't spoilers in the suggestion? I'm not planning to read it either way, so just drop it, please
Old 2011-01-06, 05:09   Link #9
Xion Valkyrie

The OP's examples are all Shoujo manga with heavy romance. Everyone else has been mostly listing shounen manga with harems, which is totally not what the OP is looking for.

Boy of the Female Wolf might be something you want to try. Girl fighter disguises herself as a guy and fights other delinquents/gangs/fighters and falls in love with some boy fighter.
Old 2011-01-06, 05:27   Link #10
Freakshow
私は異常だ ♥ ♥ ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
The OP's examples are all Shoujo manga with heavy romance. Everyone else has been mostly listing shounen manga with harems, which is totally not what the OP is looking for.

Boy of the Female Wolf might be something you want to try. Girl fighter disguises herself as a guy and fights other delinquents/gangs/fighters and falls in love with some boy fighter.
This is the type of manhwa I'm looking for. Not any harem/ecchi manga Thanks, I'll check it out!
Old 2011-01-06, 09:18   Link #11
JRendell
Manga Addict

In that case, I'd recommend Dengeki Daisy.
Old 2011-01-06, 09:19   Link #12
kitten320

^You are missing a lot of fun though
I myself don't like harems but that one worked for me.

Anyway sorry for the mess in a thread, we already made up yesterday
Old 2011-01-06, 22:46   Link #13
ByakuyaKuchiki

Since alot of the ones you mentioned are by the same author, I would recommend another by that author: Hot Blooded Woman.

I've read a few negative reviews but I liked it more than the other ones Ive read.

Basic plot description:

Spoiler:
Closed Thread

Tags
fighting, manga, manhwa, martial arts, romance