AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Old 2013-10-23, 14:45   Link #161
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I loved the movie. It had all the elements that made the series good and little of its flaws. All the characters got to shine a bit (well, the female characters). I particularly enjoyed Nako's subplot, it fit the family theme well. She's such a wonderful older sister, and a future perfect mom. Would waifu/10.
I thought part of the point of Nako's arc was acknowledging her fallibility.

Anyway, pretty solid movie overall, and the cast felt like more of an effective ensemble here. Even some of the more annoying characters were less annoying than usual - the attempt to sell ero fiction to schoolboys was priceless. Takako still made me cringe though.

I can't help but notice men who marry into Ohana's family tend to have poor life expectancy. And as a photographer myself, I do enjoy it when shows decide to go all "photography is romantic".

Still wondering if anyone else is going to catch what I did.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-23, 15:10   Link #162
Rising7

I had a good time with this movie. I enjoyed the delving into Satsuki's past and the parallels drawn between it and Ohana's situation, plus even to an extent Nako's. I am also quite fond of Kanae Ito's voice, so it was good to have that coupled with Ohana's quirkiness again, with quite a few moments having me thinking "that's such an Ohana thing to do". The smaller developments and scenes with the rest of the cast were pretty great also, like Yuina's seeming irreverence (which amused me comparing it to when Ohana first showed up).
Rising7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-23, 15:26   Link #163
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Ohana's Dad is such a lucky having high schooler fall in lobe with him...*envious The romance between the two brings out ants. It's too sweet but I like it. Seeing Seitsuki carrying Ohana is more touching.

I liked Tomoe... she's one hot MILF.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-23, 15:26   Link #164
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Still wondering if anyone else is going to catch what I did.
I didn't and totally shat brix when you pointed it out.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-23, 16:54   Link #165
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoemiChan View Post
Ohana's Dad is such a lucky having high schooler fall in lobe with him...*envious The romance between the two brings out ants. It's too sweet but I like it. Seeing Seitsuki carrying Ohana is more touching.

I liked Tomoe... she's one hot MILF.
She's hot but at this rate I suspect Nako may acquire MILF status before she does. (I could totally see this being a gag if they do something like a time skip OVA.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I didn't and totally shat brix when you pointed it out.
I only caught it because I had the sneaking suspicion she was in there somewhere and that scene was a likely candidate.

It's much easier to figure out from the dialogue than the visuals but most of the relevant lines aren't subbed because they're background dialogue.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-23, 18:05   Link #166
deadite

Well Satsuki was 22 when she gave birth to Ohana so Ayato was willing to wait for her to get older I guess.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-23, 18:13   Link #167
deadite

I'm seeing a pattern with Sui's husband Seiji, Satsuki's husband Ayato and Koh. They seem to be all laid back brunettes
Old 2013-10-23, 23:12   Link #168
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Excellent movie.

First of all, just vivaciously vibrant visuals. The movie is just truly breathtaking in its beautiful artwork and animation.

A good mix of subplots, and I liked how they were all seamlessly brought together. Nako's subplot was more emotional and moving than I had expected, so big kudos to the movie-makers (and applicable seiyu) here! Yuina was a bit annoying in all of her Paris Hilton-esque glory, but at least she proved her worth with some quick thinking and good ideas in the second half of the film. The highlight of the movie for me was definitely the flashback scenes though.

This movie did a great deal to round out Satsuki's character, and make her more endearing and sympathetic. And it was definitely refreshing to see a truly cool dude arise out of HSI, him being the father of Ohana. Speaking of Spike Matsumae, his voice sounded familiar to me. Does he have the same seiyu as Kiritsugu Emiya of Fate/Series fame? Anyway, great casting on this guy. It's not at all hard to see why Satsuki totally fell for him.

Ohana came across very well as the main character, and her character really showed great range. I like how they played Ohana as very self-aware and gradually maturing, moreso than just pure shounen-esque "festing it up". Ohana has great energy, and I'm glad that's maintained, but it's good to see her also being carefully thoughtful and reflective.

Three big cheers for Kanae Itou! She played both Ohana and teenage Satsuki, and managed to make the two characters sound different enough that I never really noticed that the same seiyu was playing both (I only looked up the casting for teenage Satsuki after I was finished watching the film).

This film was definitely HSI at its best, and is a great note for the series to end off on if this really is the last installment of HSI.
Old 2013-10-24, 01:53   Link #169
VooDooZulu
13th level Googlemancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Ohana came across very well as the main character, and her character really showed great range. I like how they played Ohana as very self-aware and gradually maturing, moreso than just pure shounen-esque "festing it up". Ohana has great energy, and I'm glad that's maintained, but it's good to see her also being carefully thoughtful and reflective.
I would agree and disagree on you with this point. The entire point of the series was Ohana growing up. We had a chance to see her mature in a very beautiful way through out the series. In the movie i'm assuming it takes place at or near the end of the series so she is already mature compared to before. I did very much enjoy watching her parts though. But yes, the flash backs were the prize of the movie. But i would like to point out that Satsuki was maybe 13 when the photographer first took her picture? And we can be generous and say he didn't need college so he was maybe 18-19 at the time. So an 18 year old marrying a 24 year old really isn't that odd. Not to mention she grew up with him, he was there every summer right? It doesn't ever show them getting too close but it does show that they did get close as friends long before they ever married.
VooDooZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-24, 09:16   Link #170
kentasaiba

Yuina best girl
kentasaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-24, 09:56   Link #171
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooZulu View Post
I would agree and disagree on you with this point. The entire point of the series was Ohana growing up. We had a chance to see her mature in a very beautiful way through out the series.
You are right that we get to see Ohana mature in the series. However, it often felt to me that Ohana's maturation took a backseat to other characters getting spotlight episodes/arcs, or to romance drama, or to the final plot of the Inn closing. Ohana's maturation was there, but it rarely felt "front and center" to me. This is not a major criticism, as it was still reasonably effective, in my opinion. But it's enough to make this movie feel refreshing to me in how it does, in fact, put Ohana's maturation "front and center".

Ohana's maturation ties into every subplot in this movie, and I think it gave the movie an excellent core.

Quote:
I did very much enjoy watching her parts though. But yes, the flash backs were the prize of the movie. But i would like to point out that Satsuki was maybe 13 when the photographer first took her picture? And we can be generous and say he didn't need college so he was maybe 18-19 at the time. So an 18 year old marrying a 24 year old really isn't that odd. Not to mention she grew up with him, he was there every summer right? It doesn't ever show them getting too close but it does show that they did get close as friends long before they ever married.
I didn't have a problem with the behavior of Ohana's father. I very much doubt he'd have pursued or even accepted a relationship with Satsuki if she hadn't confessed to him, and forced a kiss on him.

Most of what he did could be construed as a young adult male lightly teasing a teenage girl that he happened to chance by due to his work. And honestly, teenage Satsuki has the perfect personality for someone older/more mature to enjoy teasing her a bit. She has just the right amount of tsundere for that, lol.
Old 2013-10-24, 10:08   Link #172
Peanutbutter

Liked the movie, but it felt more like an OVA than actual movie.

Makes me wanna rewatch the entire series again.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-24, 10:24   Link #173
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Speaking of Spike Matsumae, his voice sounded familiar to me. Does he have the same seiyu as Kiritsugu Emiya of Fate/Series fame? Anyway, great casting on this guy. It's not at all hard to see why Satsuki totally fell for him.
No, it's not Kiritsugu (Rikiya Koyama, he's in Coppelion this season). He's voiced by Ryota Takeuchi.
Old 2013-10-24, 16:46   Link #174
sikvod00

This movie actually cemented my belief that Ohana is more different from her mother and grandmother than she'd like to believe....which is a good thing, really. Sorry if that sounds weird.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-24, 20:09   Link #175
deadite

With the fate of Sui and Satsuki's husbands, I kind of fear for Koh.
Old 2013-10-24, 21:36   Link #176
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
And it was definitely refreshing to see a truly cool dude arise out of HSI, him being the father of Ohana.
Beanman is Ohana's father? Wow, I clearly need to rewatch the movie.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 10:29   Link #177
VooDooZulu
13th level Googlemancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
you miss understood something, not sure where. but no, bean man wasn't her father- her father is dead.
VooDooZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 16:27   Link #178
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Cool dude = Beanman?

Obviously it isn't him....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 11:13   Link #179
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yeah, if the series sold me on the notion that Ohana is the true successor Kissuiso, then the movie sold me on the notion that Yuina is the true successor of hers. The movie has to have taken place after the trip to her fiance's inn (since she said it was her first time actually working in an inn then), and in that short amount of time not only does she get complimented on her work by Ohana, but Tomoe as well? And she helped solved the power crisis? Sounds like she has talent to run the business.

So yeah, despite the movie really about Satsuki, and her not losing about her mom, Yuina still is the one fresh on my mind. But maybe because it still didn't answer clearly how Satsuki and Grandma made up, or how Satsuki arranged Ohana's situation at Kissuiso. Because if she wasn't willing to give up when Ohana was born, then why did she 'give up' Ohana when she was a teenager?

But yeah, Kou RIP in peace lol. You hooking up with Ohana will only end in an early death. But I guess he'd still have enough time to make the next generation before he kicks the bucket? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooZulu View Post
But i would like to point out that Satsuki was maybe 13 when the photographer first took her picture?
Actually, it looks like she was in her final year of high school. For one, her uniform is identical to the current generation of girls, with the only difference is that she is wearing a red ribbon instead of a blue one. Second, it was implied she was studying for tests to get into college, so that puts her in the 3rd year ballpark (around 17-18 years old?) at the time. And thirdly, genetics; Ohana is pretty much loli size despite being in high school already (compare her to medium size Minko and large size Nako), so she gotta have inherited her flatness from someone.

So yeah, even if Mr. Dad had finished college, it would only put like half a decade age gap between them. Or more importantly, Satsuki would've been 'legal' considering Japan laws even when they first met. Though thankfully Mr. Dad decided to wait till she finished college at least to make Ohana.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 13:56   Link #180
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
The preview for the movie says at 0:22 "[A story of] another 16-year old girl." This means Satsuki is 16 in the majority of the film. No age is given to Ohana's father.

Preview for reference:

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote