AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-19, 09:09   Link #221
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
While the image has a very amusing idea behind it, the anatomy is quite frankly, rather bad.
Only for Haruki. I'll admit that, going by this, he's about twice as tall as the rest of the SOS Brigade. His legs, in particular, are enormously long.

However, that's a price I'm willing to pay for a gorgeous pic like this.
Old 2009-08-19, 09:11   Link #222
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Nagato doesn't look right. It almost looks like some random girl was simply given her haircut and told to look uninterested in the world.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-19, 09:13   Link #223
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Only for Haruki. I'll admit that, going by this, he's about twice as tall as the rest of the SOS Brigade. His legs, in particular, are enormously long.

However, that's a price I'm willing to pay for a gorgeous pic like this.
Haruki is drawn ludicriously tall, but his body seems more or less proportional. That's not the problem.

The Hips and behinds of the girls however are drawn in a rather anatomically incorrect manner.
Old 2009-08-19, 12:56   Link #224
OkamiNoKaze

I still say Giant Space Yuuki looks like Justice from Doujin Works.
Old 2009-08-19, 14:26   Link #225
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
I still say Giant Space Yuuki looks like Justice from Doujin Works.
Just image googled "Justice from Doujin Works", and... I agree. In fact, it's even better than that... Giant Space Yuuki holding tiny little Kyonko is like Justice holding Najima Osana!
Old 2009-08-19, 23:47   Link #226
ijuinkun

Wait, there's actually a girl named "Najima Osana"? Reverse the name order and it's "osananajimi", which usually translates as "close friend since childhood". Somebody is making bad puns here.
Old 2009-08-20, 01:05   Link #227
OkamiNoKaze

That's funny because in the show that's what they are, childhood friends.
Old 2009-08-20, 01:13   Link #228
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

"It's funny because it's a meaningful name!"
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-08-20, 01:19   Link #229
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
Plus, the readers of FF.net can be picky. It's hard to know what they'll like and won't like. The general rule, though, is that if you don't get a whole lot of reviews, you're stuff needs work. This is a catch 22, since you need feedback to know whats wrong, and not everyone is willing to read crap just to give advice. Generally, the really good stuff becomes popular, but sometimes good fics are overlooked for various reasons.

I will say this. Never underestimate the power of a good preview.

Edit: I should also note that occasionally crap comes to the top, too. I hate reading a bad fanfic that everyone seems to love for no understandable reason.
I write OC-based stories, so I really know what they hate.

-OCs usually are hated, but that's because most of them are poorly constructed. They are either uber-jerks who somehow still get love or magical gary-mary stu-sues who have some strange level of power that surpasses Haruhi.

We have a lack of anti-heroes, normal people, or even people who have to deal with reality.

-Usually anything that isn't in the General/Romance/Humor/Action/Adventure/Parody Genre. Despite how dramatic a show like Haruhi is, people prefer talking about Kyon's possibilities in the ladies.

-A pairing-based story will get hits. For the love or hatred, people will go nuts. Though irregular pairings can really turn heads.
Old 2009-08-20, 01:23   Link #230
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
-Usually anything that isn't in the General/Romance/Humor/Action/Adventure/Parody Genre. Despite how dramatic a show like Haruhi is, people prefer talking about Kyon's possibilities in the ladies.

-A pairing-based story will get hits. For the love or hatred, people will go nuts. Though irregular pairings can really turn heads.
And this is why I more or less despise shipping fics...
Old 2009-08-20, 08:58   Link #231
A. Esbee
Suffused with Sound

OCs are the ultimate gamble in fic. I'm working on one now that requires the use of them, but there's always the risk of people not even batting an eye before to hit the back button once they realize there's one. While it's understandable, I wish it wasn't such of an instant knee-jerk aversion.
Quote:
Despite how dramatic a show like Haruhi is, people prefer talking about Kyon's possibilities in the ladies.
Very true--of everything, unfortunately. Not that in this series I'm not guilty of shipping, but still.

If you're looking for fic ...
LJ FFN

Last edited by A. Esbee; 2009-08-20 at 09:52.
Old 2009-08-20, 09:17   Link #232
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
I write OC-based stories, so I really know what they hate.

-OCs usually are hated, but that's because most of them are poorly constructed. They are either uber-jerks who somehow still get love or magical gary-mary stu-sues who have some strange level of power that surpasses Haruhi.

We have a lack of anti-heroes, normal people, or even people who have to deal with reality.
They can be disliked even if they don't violate any of the above, unless they're done really well.

Quote:

Ha ha, then I'm guilty. Although, some pairing fic get ignored anyway. Their usually crap, though, so it's fine.

Sadly, I think I've realized why some crap pairing fics become popular. It's because they feature some plot point that some reader find interesting. Too bad interesting =/= good...
Old 2009-08-22, 01:25   Link #233
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Esbee View Post
OCs are the ultimate gamble in fic. I'm working on one now that requires the use of them, but there's always the risk of people not even batting an eye before to hit the back button once they realize there's one. While it's understandable, I wish it wasn't such of an instant knee-jerk aversion.

Very true--of everything, unfortunately. Not that in this series I'm not guilty of shipping, but still.
I'm the same, but I still give everything a right chance. I'm not even a Haruhi/Kyon fan, yet Meet The Suzumiyas is probably one of my favorite fics ever.

That's what I try to do with my OCs. Bringing in alternative thought within the story. With my Haruhi story in particular, it's told in a duel-narrative form between Kyon and my OC in question. The thing that makes this interesting is that my OC completely looks at the SOS Brigade like a 3rd Party. He's normal and has different reasons for getting into the Brigade than protecting the universe.
Old 2009-08-22, 14:16   Link #234
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

It helps if the OC at least has a plausible reason to be there and doesn't feel like they were thrown in.

P.S. newest chapter up, in case you guy didn't know.
Old 2009-08-22, 15:08   Link #235
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
It helps if the OC at least has a plausible reason to be there and doesn't feel like they were thrown in.

P.S. newest chapter up, in case you guy didn't know.
HAHA

Humiliation.

What tortures shall Haruhi be subjugated to?
Old 2009-08-22, 15:18   Link #236
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
HAHA

Humiliation.

What tortures shall Kyon be subjugated to?
Fixed. XP (Will show review soon)
Old 2009-08-22, 18:33   Link #237
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Fixed. XP (Will show review soon)
Nah. I think Kyon might get off somewhat lighter since he had to mud wrestle in drag.

I suppose knowing that your parents watched you in a mud wrestling contest is humiliation enough...nah.

Also

NAT-ZI SCALPS!
Old 2009-08-22, 18:34   Link #238
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
That really depends... In the case of a sliderfic for this series, would you consider "Oh, we're interested in Haruhi, too, but screwed up the timing" a plausible reason or an instance of the character simply being thrown in?
Old 2009-08-22, 21:27   Link #239
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

I wanted to elaborate on what I said earlier, but I was typing with only one hand at the time (I was donating plasma).

I will agree that a slider fic would be very difficult to implement without the OC feeling thrown in there, but characters like...well...Haruhi's parents are a little easier to accept since the reader can say to themselves "Well, it makes sense that her parents would exist."

Another example would be from " The Aging of Haruhi Suzumiya" where Kyon had an assistant. Since Kyon was a successful business executive, it made sense that he would have an assistant. There wasn't a knee-jerk defensive reaction to him, and so i was able to judge the character on his own merits (and he is turning out to be a great OC so far).

So anyway, I say when it comes to OCs, one should be wary on how they should be introduced and whether the story requires their existance.

BTW, how much of a story can an OC be the center before it's too much? I just wanted to know what you guys thought. I'm asking for percentages.
Old 2009-08-22, 21:46   Link #240
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Depends on the story, as well as whether or not the character's prominence is reasonable. If it's really freaking good, I don't think anyone would actually mind.
Closed Thread

Tags
fanfiction