AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-30, 08:06   Link #61
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Wow, you're assuming way too much here. With Ikuhara there's no way you can tell what he show is about until the very end. The show could easily be about the opposite of what you think, you know?
not really, i may be jumping the gun but considering how fate is the big theme of the show, i doubt there wouldn't be some deconstruction. i mean they're all after their own versions of fate and sometimes it isn't panning out the way they would want to (ringo for example).

Quote:
No, he was avoiding the issue at the moment. It was a facade. But you can see the real Kanba in a previous scene, when he told the doctor he could use his life if that would help Himari. It was the scene that marks him as the chosen one to sacrifice his life for her. That's why the PoC goes directly after him in the first Seizon Senryaku.
oh i forgot about the previous scene. i understand where you're coming from now.
Old 2011-09-30, 08:32   Link #62
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
not really, i may be jumping the gun but considering how fate is the big theme of the show, i doubt there wouldn't be some deconstruction.
The concept of fate clearly plays considerably into whatever theme (or themes) drives this show, but as Kazu-kun wrote, the final point may be the very opposite of what you're saying.

The anime may say, for example, that fate is not something that can be forced (Ringo) or successfully fought against (Kanba), it just happens.
Old 2011-09-30, 09:47   Link #63
YayPepsi

Aw man, Kanba. ;3; He tried so hard to save Himari, but couldn't. D: My heart broke for him in this episode. He's definitely cemented his place as my favorite character in this show.
Old 2011-10-09, 12:24   Link #64
Kirarakim

I've been thinking about Kanba and I do find it interesting that he is so popular with the ladies despite his parents being terrorists.

At the very least Masako seems to know about it since she made reference to 16 years ago. And also I still wonder if the only thing Masako is after is Kanba himself (the same way Ringo was after Tabuki).

I always find it odd that she always refers to Kanba as it (if it is Kanba she is referring to in the first place) when she says "We need to crush it".

And of course that is if the subtitles are accurate with the "it".
Old 2011-10-09, 12:52   Link #65
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I always find it odd that she always refers to Kanba as it (if it is Kanba she is referring to in the first place) when she says "We need to crush it".

And of course that is if the subtitles are accurate with the "it".
Actually, she's dropping the subject; at this point, we have no idea what she could be referring to. It could be Kanba, or it could be something else entirely.
Old 2011-10-22, 07:37   Link #66
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Just bring these into the correct thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Just heard about the theory about Kanba being a child prostitute--mind blown. Wow. Let's see if that's what's up.
Quote:
Well there is nothing that explicitly points to that but at the same time it's definitely a possibility. I guess it would somewhat line up with his playboy image.

Of course I always felt the way Kanba was so good at tracking Ringo in episode 2 & 3 was a clue to what he did to get money from those men in black & I don't think prostitution would lead to those skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
First time I saw him deal with that shady man in the metro, that's what immediately came to my mind .
As disturbing or disgusting the thought might be, those days for a good looking teen, girl or guy, prostitution is one of the fastest way to make money. Kanba is depicted as very attractive and ready to do anything to save Himari.
Also, why were they several men in episode 13? If they were all from the same organization, one emissary would have been enough. But since they had to come in person, it felt more like "clients" ifyouknowwhatImean .

There is still a chance he is hired for other purposes but I wouldn't count too much on it.
I still think he is more or less worked as detective/ bodyguard for parents of rich girl/ idols. But then it would make sense if he is a male prostitute as it explains: why did he have to be with so many girls. And why none of them felt jealousy against each other... Why Natsume tried to get him to stop...

But then they all can just pay him so he can act nice toward them again...
Old 2011-10-22, 09:05   Link #67
Kirarakim

I definitely am starting to think the male prostitute theory makes a lot of sense. It is a way to make a lot of money very quickly & it's pretty obvious what he is doing something bad. Not to mention I feel this is right up Ikuhara's alley.

Of course that still wouldn't explain where Kanba got all that surveillance skills (well unless a client showed him).
Old 2011-10-23, 12:47   Link #68
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Kanba has become the indispensable character for Penguin Drum, imo.

It's occurred to me that he's the only major protagonist in this that's had consistent character motivation right through every episode.

He is 110% committed to saving Himari, and protecting his family. His feud with Natsume has been well-executed, and has added a lot of spice to the anime.

Kanba is the consistent thread running through the show that lets it get away with...

1) Shouma being dragged along by the plot and other characters.
2) Himari being almost entirely passive.
3) Ringo ceasing to be a yandere.

Since Kanba's characterization has been the most consistent and ironclad of all the major protagonists, I think a case can be made that he's the main main protagonist of MPD.

What do other people here think?
Old 2011-10-23, 13:26   Link #69
Kirarakim

I disagree sure Kanba has a goal and he goes for it but he never thinks of the consequences of his actions. Kanba is the type of character who acts now and thinks later. He is working to save Himari by making a deal with Sanetoshi and getting money from god knows where...ultimately I highly doubt that Kanba will be the one to save the day.

I bought a bunch of Penguindrum Talisman and Kanba's fits him perfectly "wish fulfillment".

Anyways I don't think there is necesarilly a main main character in Penguin-drum. I would at least say Shouma, Ringo, and Kanba all have their own stories to fulfill (and Natsume, Yuri, Himari, & Tabuki to a lesser degree too).
Old 2011-10-23, 15:03   Link #70
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
I disagree sure Kanba has a goal and he goes for it but he never thinks of the consequences of his actions. Kanba is the type of character who acts now and thinks later.
i don't agree with that. i think kanba definitely thinks of his actions, he's just not worried about his own well-being because he puts his family first. he's always been the character with the methodical plans for me, such as all the high-tech equipment he had in episode 2.

not to mention the goal is saving himari's life--i think it would be bizzare for him to mull over the pros and cons of saving his sister's life when sanetoshi is offering it.

so far, kanba's actions all have reasons they're just not immediatly visible to the audience. he has his reasons for using shady means to save his family life, especially since he wants nothing to do with the "natsume clan".

that said, i don't think kanba is the main-main character. this show is an ensemble of sorts, i think most of the characters had/will have their spotlight. but kanba does share qualities with the typical main character, such as being heroic in a way.
Old 2011-10-23, 15:09   Link #71
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
i don't agree with that. i think kanba definitely thinks of his actions, he's just not worried about his own well-being because he puts his family first. he's always been the character with the methodical plans for me, such as all the high-tech equipment he had in episode 2.
Of course Kanba puts his family first but that doesn't mean his actions are right or won't have consequences later.

And do you think by making a deal with Sanetoshi, Kanba is necessarily only putting himself in danger?

And the next question does Kanba (or Shouma for that matter) ever once ask Himari what she wants?
Old 2011-10-23, 15:27   Link #72
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
Of course Kanba puts his family first but that doesn't mean his actions are right or won't have consequences later.

And do you think by making a deal with Sanetoshi, Kanba is necessarily only putting himself in danger?

And the next question does Kanba (or Shouma for that matter) ever once ask Himari what she wants?
of course kanba's actions aren't the best, but what other alternative is there from his point of view? not to mention, nobody's actions in this show (the takakura siblings i mean, lol) are right or wrong. they're definitely selfish though.

i'm sure sanetoshi's deal is a double-edged sword but to kanba, he's the only person who's aware of it and the only one who could be in danger if there were consequences for it.

neither have asked himari what she wants (especially kanba who's always been very protective of her, i.e. sending her to her room when they found out about their parents) but the issue here is keeping her alive. i don't think that would warrant much of a discussion or thought in the mind's of the brothers. they want to keep her alive, simple as that. and in kanba's case, he's not particularly worried about his own well being or anybody that isn't his siblings.
Old 2011-10-24, 01:15   Link #73
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

Did anyone notice the new opening with the three siblings running and Kanba was running in a different direction?
Old 2011-10-25, 20:07   Link #74
kitten320

Might be an indication of their paths seperating.

Tags
characters