Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 18:31   Link #962
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
One leaked scan from original Saki Ch 97:

Spoiler:
I want to be excited, but she looks so... tame. Or maybe it's because her sister is literally killing someone right now (or later, actually).
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 19:45   Link #963
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
One leaked scan from original Saki Ch 97:

Spoiler:
Oh my. The end is near.

It should only get even crazier from there (she can be compared to Teru in that respect).
Old 2012-05-16, 21:45   Link #964
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Actually, I'm surprised that Saki was able to even get her usual set up, what with Eisui's boobie monster channeling Jindai. Rinshan kaihou?
Old 2012-05-16, 22:04   Link #965
Grand Phoenix
The Master of Turkeys

@Myssa

That's what I'm thinking - what with the flowers in the background and all. (Wish my Japanese extended beyond the basic Hiragana/Katakana.)

@Requiem

Look at this way: Saki is the dog that'll be your Best Friend For Life Forever. Teru is the cat that'll give you a look and try to claw your face off if you stare at her for too long :P

@tarajis

...That would break my brain on so many levels. But that very same thought has crossed my mind on more than one occasion.
Grand Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 23:01   Link #966
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Phoenix View Post
@Requiem

Look at this way: Saki is the dog that'll be your Best Friend For Life Forever. Teru is the cat that'll give you a look and try to claw your face off if you stare at her for too long :P
Did you forget the part where Saki goes "I'll meet onee-chan and everyone in my way will get CRUSHED"? I was kind of expecting her to get more aggressive by now.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 00:55   Link #967
Valky
Radioactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Dunno. For all we know Teru may be using Awai Oohoshi as a substitute goldfish for her sister so it's Saki mission to show that she doesn't stand up to her.
That's kinda beating the purpose isn't it , all Saki's care about atm is her "Onee-chan" after all.
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 03:20   Link #968
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Actually, I'm surprised that Saki was able to even get her usual set up, what with Eisui's boobie monster channeling Jindai. Rinshan kaihou?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Phoenix View Post
@Myssa

That's what I'm thinking - what with the flowers in the background and all. (Wish my Japanese extended beyond the basic Hiragana/Katakana.)
In case anyone is wondering, Saki is saying

"Tsumo, Rinshan Kaihou"

/random post from a lurker *hides*
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 05:42   Link #969
night_sentinel

Thanks Peanutbutter once again for the early scan ... your sources really is fast... Could you be living in Japan by any chance?

@Myssa Rei
I'm not surprised that Saki did a Rinshan Kaihou. Kasumi's "one suit" power skews probability in a way that boosts Saki's chance of getting it. As peanutbutter and I have observed earlier Kasumi's "one suit" may have sealed Toyone but it boosted Saki.

Using a really simple probability calculation having a kan has a 4/144 or 2.7778% chance but with Kasumi's power its now 4/108 or a 3.7037% chance. That's 33.33% increase by the way.

Beside its getting close to the final hand and if I remember correctly it is Saki's dealer turn right now. I would probably be more surprised if Saki didn't do anything with the conditions in place.

@Requiem-x

I'm also expecting Saki to be more aggressive right now. "With the beat everyone so I can meet onee-chan declaration". But, I'm also resigned to the fact that Saki does not crush her opponents unlike a certain someone in the spin-off.

We must remember that one of the traits that the manga hammered early on about Saki is she does not really care about winning that much with the +/- zero style gameplay of hers. Saki won't allow her team to be knocked out of the tournament but she won't do anything that is unnecessary like get a ridiculously large lead to show her team's superiority.

I'm also a believer that Saki still has not been totally able to shake of that gameplay of hers after all old habits die hard. She may have been aiming for winning instead of a +/- zero right now but her old style still surface now and then.

The most prominent example of this is Saki's tendency to win on the last hand which allows her to make those ridiculous comebacks of hers. This habit of hers is rooted in her +/- zero gameplay where she must be the winner of the last hand so that she can control the points.

Remember for Saki to gain +/- zero points, the easiest way to achieve that result is to do nothing most time and win a few hands so that she's not in too much deficit that it won't be impossible to make up the points in the last hand . Then, when the last hand comes she makes a hand that will allow her to gain her target score.

When playing for +/- zero there is a specific score that she needs to do this but now she is playing to win she may have been setting up her hand to win by small margin from the first place for a comeback win.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 23:26   Link #970
Key Board
Carbon

I think Teru is what you get if you take all the jokes and internet memes about Saki being an evil mahjong tyrant and making it real
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 06:15   Link #971
Peanutbutter

Just read a rough summary of Saki Ch 97.

In terms of mahjong stuff, this one tops the previous few chapters.
Old 2012-05-18, 06:37   Link #972
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I think Teru is what you get if you take all the jokes and internet memes about Saki being an evil mahjong tyrant and making it real
If you look real closely, you'll find that Teru has quite a lot of memes of her own.
Old 2012-05-18, 06:59   Link #973
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Just read a rough summary of Saki Ch 97.

In terms of mahjong stuff, this one tops the previous few chapters.
damn mate a bit more info would of been great lol
Old 2012-05-18, 09:19   Link #974
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
damn mate a bit more info would of been great lol
It's not easy to explain. Simply put, Rinshan Kaihou's ability is fully used once again.
Old 2012-05-18, 09:23   Link #975
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
It's not easy to explain. Simply put, Rinshan Kaihou's ability is fully used once again.
And, as the famous Stan Lee used to always say: "Nuff said!"
Old 2012-05-18, 09:29   Link #976
Farplaner

Well, here's something to whet your appetite

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/katsu666/e/f47...67cd1e5edb654e
Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 11:06   Link #977
tsunade666

so what's the score? or what's happening because I don't understand a thing. The only thing I can understand is there is that weird aura on Saki again which scares off the other.
Old 2012-05-18, 11:46   Link #978
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

The score seems to be, by the end of the chapter, as follows: Eisui:110000, Kiyosumi:100200, Miyamori:97700, Himematsu:92100
Old 2012-05-18, 11:49   Link #979
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Is this the closest match so far in the whole series? I guess that happens when you have monsters all over the place (+Himematsu who at least isn't a punching bag)
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 10:26   Link #980
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Incidentally I've done some re-reading of the last ten chapters of the main manga and I noticed something. Miyamori's team is apparently made up of third-years, which means that like Hisa's case this is literally the first AND last chance they have for the finals, as I noticed that they didn't have any first-years for their school club.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2012-05-19 at 17:52.
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri