AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-03-12, 11:43   Link #1
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

The Disney Internship

Is it really bad as people claim here? I got a few (younger) friends (mostly parent-friend's daughter/son) who want to go.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 04:18   Link #2
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Can't say much about the internship, as that sounds like a new term for seasonal worker, but I had an ex who worked as a seasonal worker for Disney World/Epcott when she was an undergrad.

She says it was a ton of work, largely unrewarding, but I'm not sure why you'd expect anything else for such a position. She still enjoyed the experience though, and the sheer amount of trivia she learned from her summer there was always a source of (not so) quiet pride for her to lord over me, I think.

Like most things in life, managing expectations is kind of key to how you find something. When I was a college student, I had an internship which required very little work. The main focus was to expose you to the field/work environment, not to use you as cheap labor, and the only times I did any "work", if you can even call it that, were during the rare times they didn't have some sort of event/experience lined up for us. I also had internships where working was the main focus. Totally different atmospheres. I enjoyed both, but I know I had fewer fellow happy interns at the internship which focused on actual work.

As far as the Disney internship goes (or any internship really), those kids should ask themselves what they're hoping to get out of it. A summer job (I know plenty of college students who do internships during the summer like REUs because it pays better than whatever summer job they might have grabbed, as an example)? Foot in the door? Is working for Disney something they want to do as a career? Spend time at Disney because they like/love Disney? Even if it's doing mostly menial labor?
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 08:43   Link #3
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

I heard a lot of back and forth on this. As a former recruiter for a major telecom firm, while the Disney label would be interesting, I am not sure how I can "sell" a student to a hiring manager by saying she sweep the floor or sold cotton candy in Disney.

It is the same reason I felt a bit dubious for my younger friend. In my opinion She/he would be better off working in accounting department at a small company or work for a marketing firm making graphics. Even if they are no where near "brand sensational" as Disney.

I have already heard the work that would matter more, like park engineering, security, IT, accounting are all off the menu for this Internship, because Disney want you to be "Out in front of the crowd" to learn your people skills.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote