AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-01, 15:25   Link #2321
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I definitely don't recall there being that much drama during my highschool years. It was for the girls but us guys generally didn't "do" complicated emotions and talk about "feelings". We generally kept that crap to ourselves.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 15:28   Link #2322
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
downright insulting (a motehr and child who llve each other enough to forget about themselves yeet can't speak for more than 2 minutes).
You seem to have forgotten why Iori because the shapeshifter he is right now. You should probably go back to the first arc for this.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 15:29   Link #2323
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I definitely don't recall there being that much drama during my highschool years. It was for the girls but us guys generally didn't "do" complicated emotions...
Not so much of feelings and emotions, but I remember not really talking with my parents or siblings alot... We just end up doing our own stuff.

Like you've said, "We generally kept that crap to ourselves.", so what's so hard to imagine these characters never really talk to each other until they're forced to?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 15:36   Link #2324
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Oh that's what you were talking about. Well I did think it was anti-climactic but no, I don't consider it insultingly unrealistic.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 16:16   Link #2325
Blonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, that's kind of my point. These gimmicks, or ideas, or whatever you want to call them, aren't what the show is really all about. They have basically two purposes:

1. Spice up the show, and differentiate it from other shows of this type that are just straight-up character dramas.

2. Provide vehicles for character development and character drama.
See, I think the gimmicks failed in both of these aspects. They failed to spice up and differentiate both the show and characters because of their weak and superficial link to the drama. As I said, they felt more like excuses to show a character and force drama out of them, rather than affect them as an important part of the story (and its very premise after all).
I see it as a problem when you have the potential to be something more and you constantly ignore that. We expect from each story to deliver what it promises to deliver. KC would start an arc great and promising, but always end badly and simplistically. Personally I can't see that as anything but a severe flaw in writing. Well, you do have a point, the signs were there the moment Taichi was given an unnecessary MC role that this show wouldn't do anything really out of the ordinary. I don't think that lets if off the hook though.

Now, KC isn't a bad show by any means, I did look forward to each episode, heck, I even drew a piece of fan-art for it. But it constantly keeps shooting itself in the foot. One of its favorite ways of doing that is by having fake crises. The badly timed Iori's "death" was a prime example of this. We all knew she wasn't going to die, so the whole situation lacked the kind of emotional impact it would otherwise have. However, if she did die, it would've sent a huge chunk of the story in a completely different and irrelevant direction that would just be tiring to watch. It was a no-win situation the story dragged itself into. Heartseed's offer was another example. We knew Iori wouldn't take that offer and we knew why even without her telling us. Iori only had one episode to get from "I want to re-live my life" to accepting herself as it is. As usual, I did like the theme and find it very relatable (I'd take a chance to do my life over in a heartbeat) but its execution was too rushed for me to truly care beyond personal association.
And as we've all mentioned already, the way the conflicts got resolved was almost comically mundane and always came as a stark contrast to the potential felt in the first episodes. The whole issue with an abusive father? Solved with a minute-long conversation and by a character that barely even appeared before the latter half of this episode. To make a finale so ridiculously simple and anti-climatic, that's just bad writing. It seems like the writer messed up the order of the story and put all the significant themes and excitement in the first episodes and then lost the ideas and wrote an excuse to finish the arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
I agree on what seems to be the common view, this show is like a swimmer who is winning most of the race the forget to swim back when the rest of the swimmers do and ends up not even finishing the race.
This is the best analogy for this show I've seen.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 16:20   Link #2326
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawfinder View Post
Yay, someone who reads my blog
Actually, you did mention that in a post, I didn't read your blog so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi-Senpai View Post
Here's a funny concept, I never came across to your blog, lolz. However, having Akiyuki Shinbo as assistant director in Silver Link I would expect better with KC. He did an awesome job with Negima!? (spin off), Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Maho Sensei Negima!: Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba ( i know, long title, ah, Ken ) , Dance in the Vampire Bund, ect, in his Shaft work. I guess Silver Link didn't knew with that they were getting into.
I'm pretty sure Shinbo has absolutely no involvement with the KC staff, and I don't remember himself involving that much with other studio work, except a few like Nanoha 1st season.
Also, you cannot credit Shinbo for character design, since it isn't his job at all, and I honestly would rather forget anything related to Negima under Shaft label, considering the mess done.

And frankly, while the consistency of KC art wasn't kept thoroughly during the series, no major fancy stuff is necessary. It isn't like this series needs anything flashy. What it needs is a proper flow and momentum for its story progression and arc conclusions, along with a convincing executions of the scene, which was the major flaw crippling the series.
Old 2012-10-01, 16:40   Link #2327
Mimi-Senpai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post

I'm pretty sure Shinbo has absolutely no involvement with the KC staff, and I don't remember himself involving that much with other studio work, except a few like Nanoha 1st season.
Also, you cannot credit Shinbo for character design, since it isn't his job at all, and I honestly would rather forget anything related to Negima under Shaft label, considering the mess done.

And frankly, while the consistency of KC art wasn't kept thoroughly during the series, no major fancy stuff is necessary. It isn't like this series needs anything flashy. What it needs is a proper flow and momentum for its story progression and arc conclusions, along with a convincing executions of the scene, which was the major flaw crippling the series.
I'm aware that Shinbo is not credit for Character Design . What I was mentioning was the "directing" of the series. And your last paragraph is what I'm trying to point out.

“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
Mimi-Senpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 16:40   Link #2328
Blonto

How could there be a misunderstanding like that between Iori and her mother? I get that teenagers don't always talk things through with their parents, but really? I can see how Iori wouldn't say anything considering her adaptive personality, though honestly I thought she was supposed to be more perceptive than that. And her mother, I can't for the life of me understand how she'd think that getting together with an aggressive jerk again would be a good idea for her daughter. Actually, even if that would make her daughter happier it would be a dumb thing to do.
Old 2012-10-01, 16:44   Link #2329
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Here's a funny concept, I never came across to your blog, lolz.
I just mentioned my blog because I never mentioned the art in the forums themselves.

Quote:
I forget what I post after a week passes.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 16:47   Link #2330
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
How could there be a misunderstanding like that between Iori and her mother? I get that teenagers don't always talk things through with their parents, but really? I can see how Iori wouldn't say anything considering her adaptive personality, though honestly I thought she was supposed to be more perceptive than that.
You've noticed that there's a difference between 14 year old Iori and her 16 year old self; 2 years ago Iori would have been super perceptive about it, but now recall back to the first arc and her reaction when she didn't even notice Yui's fear of men.
Old 2012-10-01, 17:01   Link #2331
Mimi-Senpai

Quote:
How could there be a misunderstanding like that between Iori and her mother? I get that teenagers don't always talk things through with their parents, but really? I can see how Iori wouldn't say anything considering her adaptive personality, though honestly I thought she was supposed to be more perceptive than that. And her mother, I can't for the life of me understand how she'd think that getting together with an aggressive jerk again would be a good idea for her daughter. Actually, even if that would make her daughter happier it would be a dumb thing to do.
For me, Iori was under thinking the situation with perplex arrangements. Iori's mom of ideal of having an aggressive man back into her life can possibility be lead by past event that only she understand herself of why she thought it would make Iori happy. However, you should strongly acknowledge the forgo of a parent for their child's life no matter how irrelevant and insufficient it is can mean a millions to them. As theoretical this anime made seem with their quandary and fast illumination, they are very true unless you haven't face them or encounter with people like that. Because I don't consider this show to be drama/melodramatic, just real human problems. ( expect the gimmicks, don't know about that )

Old 2012-10-01, 17:07   Link #2332
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I'm aware that Shinbo is not credit for Character Design . What I was mentioning was the "directing" of the series. And your last paragraph is what I'm trying to point out.
But he isn't an assistant director in Silver Link at all. The person who is currently the head of Silver Link and Chief Director of this show (Shin Oonuma) used to work at Shaft, where Shinbo is still the chief director. But, as far as this show is concerned, there is no link other than "some of the staff used to work together a long time ago". I think you just got your personnel a bit mixed up. This is actually the first show in the Director's chair for Shinya Kawamo, even though Oonuma is still credited as "Chief Director" (which is more of a supervisory role).

A lot of your other comments (6 episodes per novel, animation on par with Haruhi, etc.) would depend on this show getting a massive budget, and I think that's a bit unrealistic. This genre of human drama fills a useful niche, but doesn't really have a very good history in terms of sales. I mean, sure it'd be nice if every show could get that sort of budget, but the market has to be there to support it.
Old 2012-10-01, 17:22   Link #2333
Mimi-Senpai

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
But he isn't an assistant director in Silver Link at all. The person who is currently the head of Silver Link and Chief Director of this show (Shin Oonuma) used to work at Shaft, where Shinbo is still the chief director. But, as far as this show is concerned, there is no link other than "some of the staff used to work together a long time ago". I think you just got your personnel a bit mixed up. This is actually the first show in the Director's chair for Shinya Kawamo, even though Oonuma is still credited as "Chief Director" (which is more of a supervisory role).

A lot of your other comments (6 episodes per novel, animation on par with Haruhi, etc.) would depend on this show getting a massive budget, and I think that's a bit unrealistic. This genre of human drama fills a useful niche, but doesn't really have a very good history in terms of sales. I mean, sure it'd be nice if every show could get that sort of budget, but the market has to be there to support it.
You're presumably right about me mixing the director are a bit bleh in my head right now so I thank you for that correction. On the other hand, on terms of budget, it was just an idea that I believe it would of gave KC the legitimate progression. In spite of a series being popular before it has an anime , I've watch animes that their manga/light novel weren't doing any good and still got a decent conversion. I guess it depends from what studio. Also noting, KC is the first anime from them with having more than 13 eps, which this anime has 17 in total in one season.

Old 2012-10-01, 17:33   Link #2334
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
You're presumably right about me mixing the director are a bit bleh in my head right now so I thank you for that correction. On the other hand, on terms of budget, it was just an idea that I believe it would of gave KC the legitimate progression. In spite of a series being popular before it has an anime , I've watch animes that their manga/light novel weren't doing any good and still got a decent conversion. I guess it depends from what studio. Also noting, KC is the first anime from them with having more than 13 eps, which this anime has 17 in total in one season.

Yes well, who wouldn't want more budget and manpower for their favorite shows, but money don't grow on trees...

And technically it's not 17 episodes in one season, it's 13 episodes and 4 more some months down the road.
Old 2012-10-01, 17:39   Link #2335
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
So that means technically we're getting another season with 4 OAV's too boot. I don't know what to make of this really.
I guess it would mean better planning and a less taxing work schedule.
Old 2012-10-01, 17:40   Link #2336
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
In spite of a series being popular before it has an anime , I've watch animes that their manga/light novel weren't doing any good and still got a decent conversion. I guess it depends from what studio.
Well, I don't know the source material, but in considering many of the criticisms levelled against the show, I'm honestly not sure how many of them are really faults of the animation adaptation (story planning, episode allotment, direction, etc.) and how many are just issues inherent to the source material that perhaps surface differently in an anime format. I do think some things are easier to convey in prose than they are in animated form. Some of the larger complaints appear to deal with things fundamental to the structure of the novels themselves, including the denouement of the plot, and the way certain character development is handled. I'm not really sure if just switching the studio would have addressed all these concerns, to be honest, and I'm also not sure that I'm really ready to conclude that the novel adaptation wasn't "decent". But I guess all we can do is speculate.

Quote:
So that means technically we're getting another season with 4 OAV's too boot. I don't know what to make of this really.
All this "season" talk is mostly semantics, but suffice it to say that the current anime production has 17 episodes; 13 aired on TV (already shown), and 4 to be aired/released later. I think you'll just confuse people if you start talking about "another season", as that really isn't the case either.
Old 2012-10-01, 17:45   Link #2337
Mimi-Senpai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Yes well, who wouldn't want more budget and manpower for their favorite shows, but money don't grow on trees...

And technically it's not 17 episodes in one season, it's 13 episodes and 4 more some months down the road.
I've already apprehensive that it's a "13 ep" show with 4 on dvd release but I was talking about the show as "one", not the TV airing; disastrously, money does not multiply like fleas~.

Old 2012-10-01, 17:49   Link #2338
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post

All this "season" talk is mostly semantics, but suffice it to say that the current anime production has 17 episodes; 13 aired on TV (already shown), and 4 to be aired/released later. I think you'll just confuse people if you start talking about "another season", as that really isn't the case either.
So you're saying that the show is techically "finished", but the other 4 remaining episodes left will be released at different times. I'm not trying to confuse people about talks about seasons. It's more like me trying to make sense of what's happening because people keep telling me different things about the airing episodes and how this series is being held, production wise.

If I misunderstood somethings I deeply apologize.
Old 2012-10-01, 17:53   Link #2339
Blonto

Quote:
For me, Iori was under thinking the situation with perplex arrangements. Iori's mom of ideal of having an aggressive man back into her life can possibility be lead by past event that only she understand herself of why she thought it would make Iori happy. However, you should strongly acknowledge the forgo of a parent for their child's life no matter how irrelevant and insufficient it is can mean a millions to them. As theoretical this anime made seem with their quandary and fast illumination, they are very true unless you haven't face them or encounter with people like that. Because I don't consider this show to be drama/melodramatic, just real human problems. ( expect the gimmicks, don't know about that )
There's a difference between wanting what's best for your child and getting back together with a borderline abusive person just because you have a hunch it's what your child might want. Regardless of their parental feelings, parents are still people and I don't think they'd be willing to put up with abuse without at least confirming it would be for the benefit of their child. I think any normal mother would first talk things through with her daughter at least a bit before doing something that is so obviously not a good idea, neither for her and nor for Iori's development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
You've noticed that there's a difference between 14 year old Iori and her 16 year old self; 2 years ago Iori would have been super perceptive about it, but now recall back to the first arc and her reaction when she didn't even notice Yui's fear of men.
Oh hey, I forgot about that. Although I thought that understanding what other people want would go hand in hand with adapting to their wishes.
I wonder why she lost her keen powers of perception? Damn, Iori, you're getting OLD.

Last edited by Blonto; 2012-10-01 at 18:01. Reason: Added another reply
Old 2012-10-01, 18:06   Link #2340
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
So you're saying that the show is techically "finished", but the other 4 remaining episodes left will be released at different times. I'm not trying to confuse people about talks about seasons. It's more like me trying to make sense of what's happening because people keep telling me different things about the airing episodes and how this series is being held, production wise.

If I misunderstood somethings I deeply apologize.
Hmm, I'd say it's more of a case of "finished airing" prematurely rather than actually "finished", because I can clearly tell you it's not finished.

I see it as an odd ball case of a one cour show with 17 episodes instead of 13.

Quote:
Oh hey, I forgot about that. Although I thought that understanding what other people want would go hand in hand with adapting to their wishes.
I wonder why she lost her keen powers of perception? Damn, Iori, you're getting OLD.
Having found genuine friends from the CRC probably dulled her senses.
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life