AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kannagi

Notices

View Poll Results: Kannagi - Episode 13 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 68 47.55%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 20.98%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 17.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 7.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.80%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 2.10%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.40%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-30, 09:10   Link #81
typhonsentra

It's pretty impressive actually, how they were able to play off a scene that should be sad as something funny.
Old 2008-12-30, 10:33   Link #82
Itlandm
Porcupine

As an ending, it was sad for Tsugumi, but not if you think of it as a new beginning. Her "Why am I crying" could open up for her finally to understand her own feelings. Even if there should be no second season, I like the open ending. It lets us imagine various ways in which the characters could develop from here on.
Old 2008-12-30, 12:04   Link #83
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The ending gives me a Spice and Wolf impression for some reason.

And like Spice and Wolf, this series needs moar season 2.
Old 2008-12-30, 13:08   Link #84
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Well if you people are serious wanting Season 2, buy the DVDs of Kannagi then. Show the investors that there is viable market for the continuation.

Don't just do lip service and watching it for free. Do your part to support the industry.

Simple.
Old 2008-12-30, 13:23   Link #85
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
It's already past 10 K mark, which pretty much guarantees a continuation.
Old 2008-12-30, 13:26   Link #86
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
It's already past 10 K mark, which pretty much guarantees a continuation.
Actually, the magic number seems to be 50,000 units pre-ordered, but that's for something more than an OAV. Still, Kannagi is doing very well, and there are DVD-only episodes to look forward to also.
Old 2008-12-30, 13:32   Link #87
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
50,000 is more than good. But I do wonder if it is enough to convince Sony to dump more cash to make Season 2?

Did not hurt if some of us here buy the DVDs to show our support. Afterall, Japanese market is shrinking due to population pressure issue.
Old 2008-12-30, 15:44   Link #88
pparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
50,000 is more than good. But I do wonder if it is enough to convince Sony to dump more cash to make Season 2?

Did not hurt if some of us here buy the DVDs to show our support. Afterall, Japanese market is shrinking due to population pressure issue.
I doubt U.S. R2 sales would be enough to indicate whether the market was large enough or not to produce a second season.

I don't know if streaming would be more reliable an indicator, but since I do contribute now through those channels, I would hope they stream Kannagi. The revenue from streaming is supposedly not much per license, but it could indicate popularity in the U.S. better than R2 sales. The show needs a much, much better video quality option anyway than so far seen online, that's for sure.
Old 2008-12-30, 16:17   Link #89
phishn37
Time to fly ~ !

8/10

Even if I still don't really get what the problem with Nagi was in the first place...
Old 2008-12-30, 20:53   Link #90
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishn37 View Post
8/10

Even if I still don't really get what the problem with Nagi was in the first place...
She had no proof to validate her own existence. It was a metaphor for acceptance. In the end Jin learned it was more important to accept people as they are than try to reason their actions.

I"m a bit disappointed by the end. It doesn't feel like the end at all, I feel like episode 14 should be coming in a few days. They definitely left it open for a second season.

Still, it was a cute reconciliation. I guess Tsugumi's surprise in the end makes it worth it after all...
Old 2008-12-30, 22:16   Link #91
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Actually, the magic number seems to be 50,000 units pre-ordered, but that's for something more than an OAV. Still, Kannagi is doing very well, and there are DVD-only episodes to look forward to also.
No no, please don't be confused by the Negima numbers. That's a totally different story altogether, since you're talking about a manga bundle that includes a bonus DVD, and for a franchise that traditionally sells tens (hundreds?) of thousands of copies a volume in print form. It has absolutely no bearing here. None of the Negima TV series or standalone OVA releases sold anywhere close to that amount. For a late-night otaku anime to sell 50,000 units per volume at these prices would be nothing short of a miracle. Haruhi is the only things in years that's even come close.
Old 2008-12-30, 22:53   Link #92
Jhono1

What a great series, probably the surprise of this year for me personally. I read a couple of chapters of the manga ages ago and didn't think much of it really. So bored as I was today I decided to download the whole series, cant say that was a bad move.

I pretty much liked the everything in Kannagi, the jokes, the characters very fantastic really, and the animation was fine as well. Didn't care much for the op or ending or the music at all, but then again, I seldom do. All in all a great surprise and an lovable anime. Cant say I experience those often.

9/10
Old 2008-12-30, 23:57   Link #93
HandofFate

@ Tsugumi.
I actually didn't really know if Tsugumi was aware of her feelings for Jin or not.
This episode reveals the answer.

T_T Ganbatte..

I don't get why animes do this though.. "Oh no, i forgot my second set of clothes" Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, but isn't her first set still with her. Couldnt' she put those on real quick and change into a second set?
Old 2008-12-31, 02:04   Link #94
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparker View Post
I'm sorry, but I totally disagree. That was one of the best endings I've seen for this type of show. It's a romantic comedy, right? It's not Clannad. The setup episodes and emotional ending were well-paced and very authentic, and necessary for the storyline. The final scene was a subtle wink and parody, and simply delivered some fanservice reward for the fans, IMHO. Tsugumi's reaction was priceless, almost equal to her "victory dance" in the art club initiation ep. And as mentioned, the little closing line from Nagi was perfect. The beauty of it was that in those few seconds, the entire tone of the show came back to me, my reason for liking it in the beginning. The drama's over, and we're right back on track, hopefully for season two.
Dude, the two episodes before this set a serious tone, and this one should have ended on a serious tone too, not this OH YOU PERVERT JIN YOU cliche as hell walking on them not actually doing anythong wrong crap. Otherwise it comes off as little more then a plot device that spanned three episodes, or to many people, an obstacle to the comedy they were hoping to see more of. Sorry, I was genuinely intrigued by the goddess aspect of her, and they barely touched that issue at all, so I welcomed the serious nature this show took, and looked down upon it being simply reset moronically at the end.

And this show is supposed to be romantic? What part of this was romantic? Save Jin's heart beating fast in this episode there's barely been an inkling of romantic anything, outside of Tsugimi's role of comedic relief by way of her reactions to much everything that happens.

:P

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!

Last edited by Master Chibi; 2008-12-31 at 02:15.
Old 2008-12-31, 11:17   Link #95
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Master Chibi, there are also the maid-cafe thing, but you are right - it had very little of actual romance so taht it is hard to to actually call it 'romantic'.
Old 2008-12-31, 13:14   Link #96
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I loved the series, but like Master Chibi, I was disappointed by the amount of weight but on the comedy. The supernatural and the romantic drama aspects were so often pushed aside (and they were the meat of the series for me).

So yeah.. .the ending "pratfall ecchi gag" seemed to diminish the overall impact of the ending (yes, it was funny - yes, it was horrifying for Tsugumi).

So, basically it took what might have been a "9.5" series for me and slid it over to an "8.8". OTOH --- I'll definitely be reading the manga now, so the series won in that respect.
Old 2009-01-01, 02:57   Link #97
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Spoiler for it would be a crime to not cap this:

Congrats Kannagi, you managed to take one of the oldest cliche ecchi gags ever and make it good.
Old 2009-01-01, 07:23   Link #98
onehp
Banned

It was nice when Mikurya and Nagi got together again
Old 2009-01-01, 08:59   Link #99
Peanutbutter

Watched the entire thing over these two days and it was alright. Perhaps if I understood more about Shintoism, maybe I'll appreciate this more, especially the talk in Ep 11.

Spoiler for question:
Old 2009-01-01, 09:14   Link #100
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Tsugumi saves the day for Jin.
And it's a happy ending after all.

I'm just wondering if this is really the end?
There seems to be a lot of material left for a second season just like in Spice and Wolf.
Closed Thread