AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-08, 18:24   Link #2221
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Heh, sorry, was redoing my post repeatedly, but yes, my muscle car does not need a blasted fin on it!

No, what I meant I don't need to see everyone naked. I'm content that they smile at each other <.<

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2009-06-08, 18:29   Link #2222
narubu
=^_^=

Oh, I saw that. Man, I love your crack analogies or aphorisms or whatever you'd like to call 'em.

Anyways, I pretty much agree with you. It's kinda weird seeing a 10-year old girl in the transformation sequence, and she's even sticking her tongue out at you while striking some faintly odd-for-little-kids pose.
Old 2009-06-08, 18:33   Link #2223
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by narubu View Post
Oh, I saw that. Man, I love your crack analogies or aphorisms or whatever you'd like to call 'em.

Anyways, I pretty much agree with you. It's kinda weird seeing a 10-year old girl in the transformation sequence, and she's even sticking her tongue out at you striking some faintly odd-for-little-kids pose.
Everyone needs a bit of 'tanshi's drugs .

In truth though when have kids in Nanoha ever acted like well kids? I choose to pretend they're fifteen year olds who are just taking a while to hit puberty
Old 2009-06-08, 18:36   Link #2224
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Quote:

Anyways, I pretty much agree with you. It's kinda weird seeing a 10-year old girl in the transformation sequence, and she's even sticking her tongue out at you striking some faintly odd-for-little-kids pose.
well the tongue to me is just satire the whole 'i know you are watching you sick freaks' tease.

That puts PS:Vivio in a new context, don't it

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2009-06-08, 21:08   Link #2225
Jimmy C

Quote:
is it just me or does Hayate's eyes look really creepy in Force?
Take a closer look, almost everyone looks like that in one panel or another in Force! It makes them look like bug-eyed aliens. Gah!
Old 2009-06-08, 21:29   Link #2226
narubu
=^_^=

Well, I suppose they all do look bug-eyed and lack the sclera/white space people are used to, but...

To me, Hayate seems less "let's cosplay and be all happy!" and more "I shall wreak havoc and chaos muahaha!" because her eyes are more slitted and narrower. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, nor am I trying to use stereotypes, but it's just a bit different for her outward personality in previous seasons.

Actually, the concept of a power-crazed Hayate sounds really intriguing right now.. XD
Old 2009-06-08, 22:50   Link #2227
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Power corrupts. It's as simple as that.

And she's always had her agenda; there have been hints of that in StrikerS that command is just a stepping stone on Hayate's path. She's not like Nanoha or Fate, happy being line grunts. She wants to be The Man.

...wait if she becomes The Man, O'Neil's going to be sticking it to her.

Also, Loli Size Rein is moe and love~ So huggable~ Just like her master~

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-06-09, 20:54   Link #2228
9taileddemon

Hayate is psyching herself up to release Riot Force 6's full potential and crush all enemies into dust fragments.

Well it might not still be called Riot Force 6 but whatever she is leading, she is getting ready for some kind of full power assault.

Old 2009-06-09, 21:38   Link #2229
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Power corrupts. It's as simple as that.

And she's always had her agenda; there have been hints of that in StrikerS that command is just a stepping stone on Hayate's path. She's not like Nanoha or Fate, happy being line grunts. She wants to be The Man.

...wait if she becomes The Man, O'Neil's going to be sticking it to her.

Also, Loli Size Rein is moe and love~ So huggable~ Just like her master~
You forgot one thing: If Hayate does intend to misuse power, she'll have to contend with two ladies who'll only be too glad to knock sense into her if she goes too far.
Old 2009-06-09, 22:21   Link #2230
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
You forgot one thing: If Hayate does intend to misuse power, she'll have to contend with two ladies who'll only be too glad to knock sense into her if she goes too far.
Will they? Friendship is a strange thing. If Hayate can convince them she's acting for the greater good - and so long as she doesn't shoot or rape a few dogs, Nanoha and Fate would go along with her. They did promise to support each other, afterall.

If Hayate gets into a position of absolute power... no matter than Fate and Nanoha are S-ranked in terms of magical power. There are other forms of power. For example, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has more combat power than the President of the United States of America. The President, however, has more power in more arenas than the CJCS.

Of course, I think this morbidly since I live in an institutionally racist dictatorship covered be a veener of democracy.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-06-09, 22:29   Link #2231
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Hayate becoming a Magnificent Bastard? Now, it takes some amazing writing to pull that one off. The Wolkenritter will definitely stand by their mistress, right or wrong. However, I don't think Fate and Nanoha would be that foolish enough to go along that path without asking some serious questions. At least, I can see Vivo taking the role of the child in the Emperor's New Clothes. Well Intentioned Extremists always shoot or rape a few dogs, by definition.

I have some interesting thoughts of my own: thinking of Lacus Clyne as a Magnificent Bastard. You can't get more interesting than that.
Old 2009-06-09, 22:40   Link #2232
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Hayate getting corrupted by power and joining the bad guys?

Nha... sh's not the character for a "bad guy" rol. Not after what we saw on A's. No one would believe that.
Old 2009-06-09, 22:46   Link #2233
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, I think Wild Goose meant that she might become a Well Intentioned Extremist, after how Scaglietti got off scot-free (relatively speaking), and the TSAB cover-up for the sake of stability.
Old 2009-06-09, 22:54   Link #2234
narubu
=^_^=

Actually, that idea of Hayate going corrupt sounds familiar...

Wait! Wasn't that the general plotline of the Nanoha: Betrayers doujin? The one where Fate and the Forwards were on the rebel side and Nanoha and the Wolkenreitter were on the corrupted side with Hayate as their leader?
Old 2009-06-09, 23:41   Link #2235
Dri

Send a message via AIM to Dri
Quote:
Actually, that idea of Hayate going corrupt sounds familiar...

Wait! Wasn't that the general plotline of the Nanoha: Betrayers doujin? The one where Fate and the Forwards were on the rebel side and Nanoha and the Wolkenreitter were on the corrupted side with Hayate as their leader?
We don't talk about that. Like, ever.

Really now though, Hayate, corrupt? The only reason she saw fit to climb the ranks is because the officers in charge of the TSAB at the time of StrikerS WERE corrupt idealists. Also, three of them were brains in jars that worked in the shadows. I say it's a good thing they got toppled over and now Hayate's seemingly climbing up to be a good leader. I'm pretty sure the writers were just trying to have Hayate looked Dramatically Badass for her reappearance as someone important, not imply some sort of severe hardening or corruption.
Old 2009-06-10, 01:29   Link #2236
Once and Current Subber

Yeah, no sense going overboard.

Hayate's in good shape, honestly. She's only a couple promotions away from general, she's young as hell, the most significant military event in Mid in recent memory was won under her command (which, strictly speaking, she wasn't given, but in retrospect that just shows her initiative in crisis situations!) Her institutional rivals were associated with betrayal, corruption, and dishonor, and most of their leaders were killed by assassins that were then killed by forces under Hayate's command. The most influential remaining members of the high command are her sponsors, she's on good terms with the head of a major religion (and quite close to their recently-reborn deity-king.)

As the viewers, we know that Hayate dropped the ball in several important ways and didn't really do that great a job as compared with what we'd expect from competent professionals. At the same time, we're Americans, and to put it bluntly, we have a totally different metric for that sort of thing, which is one reason we keep winning wars, heh. Hayate can fall short of our standards and still be pretty good command material by Mid standards. Additionally, she definitely criticized her own performance, so she's not operating under the illusion that she's God's gift to command; that's an incredibly difficult realization to make for someone who's been jumped as far up the ladder as she has, and bodes well for the future.

It's also worth mentioning that she doesn't LOOK bad on the outside. You'd have to know a great deal about the actual events of Strikers to see the gaps; if you weren't there, and nobody was except Hayate loyalists and Jail and his imprisoned minions, it looks pretty nice. She headed up a small elite unit, despite official disapproval, and trained it to fight with precisely the tactics that were necessary to beat back a large-scale incursion against which "conventional" Mid forces were virtually helpless. Every opposing unit was destroyed or captured, with no casualties to her forces; the only "success" that Jail scored was assassinating the brains and the traitor Regius, not things which Hayate was responsible for stopping. All this despite the fact that the RF6 headquarters had been destroyed only a short time before, after being uncovered specifically so that RF6 members could guard GHQ. Additionally, forces which made GHQ security look feeble lost badly against RF6 members, notably three-against-one against a single B-ranker! That's a Sergeant York exploit there, and Hayate can bask in the reflected glow a little.

Hayate's on the fast track for high command, and would have to screw up seriously at this point to fail to reach it. She's introspective enough to avoid becoming a little tin god, and she's decisive enough to take action even if her superiors are doing their deer-in-headlights impression. TSAB could do a hell of a lot worse; the only problem that a Hayate-influenced command might suffer from is a tendency towards revealing female uniforms and a few female-on-female Tailhook scandals. ;p
Old 2009-06-10, 01:56   Link #2237
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Wonderful, now I must invoke Hayate's Miniskirt Army! (TM)

Old 2009-06-10, 01:57   Link #2238
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Add to that that when you analyze a bit deeper, Hayate's commanding was not even as bad as many made it sound to be.

For example, the 'Hayate leaving her base undefended when she knew an attack on the TSAB HQ was incoming.' First, to that claim we should note that she did not know an attack was incoming. She suspected an attack was incoming. Second, she didn't -and none of us either- have any idea that RF6's headquarters would come under attack as well, since all clues pointed to an attack on Ground Force HQ, not RF6. Even so, she had left behind a AA and a AAA rank mage to defend it should it be necessary. By TSAB standards, that is way above average defense.

Also, the whole 'not taking Devices into the building' was Regius' decision, an order from a superior officer. Ergo, not a direct fault of Hayate.

Next the much complained spreading of forces during the final episodes. In episode 20, it was noted that not many mages can handle a high-level AMF battle, which was the reason they split up. Imagine if they didn't. Let's say everyone focused on the Cradle, what would have happened then? Jail would have escaped, and the Numbers in the city would have ravaged Mid's central command. Doesn't really sound to favorable, does it?
Old 2009-06-10, 03:26   Link #2239
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I think it's clear from my posts that I didn't entertain the idea seriously. None of the main characters in MSLN are Chessmasters, so deception and other cloak-and-dagger tactics will look very out of place in the series.
Old 2009-06-10, 03:59   Link #2240
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
I think it's clear from my posts that I didn't entertain the idea seriously. None of the main characters in MSLN are Chessmasters, so deception and other cloak-and-dagger tactics will look very out of place in the series.
No it is not. That's what the antagonists in StrikerS did. How else would they do otherwise against the overwhelming firepower of the Aces?
Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, manga, nanoha, seinen