Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-10, 09:17   Link #141
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
A very bizarre assesment.
IMO it's more like those horror movies that play soothing pieces when a guy is slowly gutting his victims while they are still alive and screaming.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 16:01   Link #142
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I came into ep3 thinking it might be my last. But sign me up for at least one more. The beautiful character design. The relaxed pace and situations. The easy sentimentality. The pleasant music. Just a good feeling overall.

If I didn't like fanservice, I might think differently, but this seemed, as I sometimes say, "tasteful and effective." And at least they now have somewhat more concealing outfits to wear sometimes.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 08:15   Link #143
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I have an inkling ep3 will be the episode that will decide whether I stick with it or not. Still can't find subs though. It's nice when one of the leads of the magical girl genre isn't an angelic goody-two-shoes for once.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 12:01   Link #144
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
It's nice when one of the leads of the magical girl genre isn't an angelic goody-two-shoes for once.
Umm.. I'm pretty sure we've had this before. The only difference is that I think in previous versions of the theme she would be either part of the evil organization or a rival of the character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
but it wouldn't hurt for them to show less skin
What I found amusing in this particular series was that, ironically for a mahou shojo show, siren girl would appear to show more skin when not transformed.
Old 2009-07-12, 20:51   Link #145
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Well, another episode.
The whole fight with baddies felt completely disjoint from the rest of the ep. Seriously, other series of this genre work the baddies into the storyline somehow (even if it's just a "LOL, SERIAL ATTACKS ON THE GENERAL PUBLIC" kinda reason). By far, this was my only problem with episode 2 - I happened to like everything before that, especially Kanon's mom.

I loved the look on Urin's face when Kanon was eavesdropping. Kanon's casual attire as well as the mermaid sisters' get a thumbs up from me.

Quote:
but it wouldn't hurt for them to show less skin
They're givin' it all she's got, capt'n! They can't get anymore skimpy than that without just being plain naked.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 02:33   Link #146
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
They're givin' it all she's got, capt'n! They can't get anymore skimpy than that without just being plain naked.
(s)He said "less" not "more".
Old 2009-07-13, 02:53   Link #147
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
The power of habit, I guess. Not to mention that it is rather strange and uncommon to request more cloths
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 03:14   Link #148
Revan21

The first part was an average, slow-paced slice-of-life with a really low level of comedy, then out of the blue came the Battle of The Week which was simply awful. Why do they even need the stupid magical girl theme while the humour is seriously lacking?
We got a walking, talking turtle who should be drinking whisky, doing perverted stuff and saying hilarious lines. Instead all he does is preach about the girl's duty to defeat the evil spirit and spits a fireball before every fight.

This show is still seriously flawed IMHO. Dropped for good

I like listening to the music but I can do that when the Soundtrack comes out. Then I don't need to bother with the rest
Old 2009-07-13, 03:15   Link #149
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
The power of habit, I guess. Not to mention that it is rather strange and uncommon to request more cloths
Ya' Meo is weird sometimes like that.
Old 2009-07-13, 05:13   Link #150
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Yes indeed I am.

Ayako subs are out btw.

After watching episode 3... I think I'm sticking with this series. Granted the distinction between slice of life and magical girl is as jarring as ever, but I've learned by now to accept it as an unavoidable fact of the show. Despite it, it can be said that each genre in the show is very well done by itself. Episode 3 showed bits and pieces of character development you'd usual only see in in SoL shows and incorporated them into the magical girl aspect fairly well, heck never thought I'd see the day it can be done believably. Maybe it's because of the bubblicious fanservice, Urin being sugary cute, the overt yuri suggestions or Kanon treading into Tsundere territory, but I think I'm going to enjoy this in the long run.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2009-07-13 at 09:49.
Old 2009-07-13, 10:16   Link #151
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Whoops. Disregard, I suck cocks.

Quote:
Urin being sugary cute
Hmmm. Is it strange that I find Urin voicing her frustrations cute, too?

Quote:
We got a walking, talking turtle who should be drinking whisky, doing perverted stuff and saying hilarious lines.
I don't think so, Tim. He's at the mercy of Kanon's hot mother.
Old 2009-07-13, 10:26   Link #152
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Kanon's mother is arguably treading into MILF territory currently dominated by Sanae Furukawa.
Old 2009-07-13, 12:22   Link #153
E_I
Yuri fan

Marin telling Kanon she has beautiful eyes made me giggle. Yurific.
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 13:04   Link #154
FireChick

Why do I kinda get the feeling that Kanon's mother isn't really her biological mother? I wonder if Kanon's adopted?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 13:12   Link #155
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Why do I kinda get the feeling that Kanon's mother isn't really her biological mother? I wonder if Kanon's adopted?
Care to say why you think this? I've seen no reason so far to think such thoughts.

& please don't say her skin color, because that wouldn't mean anything.
Old 2009-07-13, 14:06   Link #156
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Or hair and eye colour. This IS animu.
My biggest question is the current status of her father.

Is it:
a. Dead
b. Deadbeat
c. Always away at work, leaving a hot wife and nubile daughter to their own devices.

Cast your votes!
Old 2009-07-13, 15:19   Link #157
FireChick

Quote:
Care to say why you think this? I've seen no reason so far to think such thoughts.

I was gonna say skin, but I'm also referring to her age too. She looks too young to be a mother of an 18 year old woman, and even if she had a kid, the kid would still be a baby by now, not an 18 year old.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 15:33   Link #158
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
She looks too young to be a mother of an 18 year old woman, and even if she had a kid, the kid would still be a baby by now, not an 18 year old.
>>Looks too young
Anime. They morph into old hags after 50.
Old 2009-07-13, 15:46   Link #159
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
I was gonna say skin, but I'm also referring to her age too. She looks too young to be a mother of an 18 year old woman, and even if she had a kid, the kid would still be a baby by now, not an 18 year old.
I had this classmate, her mother looked as young as her. If I remember correctly she (the mother) got married at the age of 12 (well, not everyone is slow you know ~ and she lived in different times). When you think about it it all makes sense. By the time you're 30 your daughter is 18 so you're both still pretty young.

Hm, did we just walk into some sub-plot?
Old 2009-07-13, 19:01   Link #160
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Lovely episode again although those pufferfish seriously freaked me out at first in their human appearance...

As far as the mother goes...Yea I don't trust Anime to portray most anime mothers at their actual age...One thing I would bring up is if she really is her mother how come she couldn't also be the priestess since she carries the same lineage and her daughter seemed extremely disinterested other then for plot reasons...Or that their really is a cosmic limitation on age for Magic "girls".

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy