AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2011-01-04, 23:26   Link #1
DeadlySoldier37
The players president

Question about CCCP 2010-10-10

The other day I uninstall CCCP 2009-09-09 and wen't to CCCP's site to try to update to the 2010 version. When I was about to update and run the program, CCCP told me that I have to update DirectX in order to get some new features with higher bit rate, my question is: what is DirectX? and is it necessary? The last time I updated it didn't even mention about DirectX, so I just want to make sure I'm doing things right.
Old 2011-01-05, 08:26   Link #2
namaiki

In short, it is required to install the DirectX runtime unless you are not planning to use the video renderers marked (**) in Media Player Classic Home Cinema. (in particular EVR Custom Pres, I'm not 100% on the rest...) Overlay Mixer, Haali's Renderer, and madVR should be safe.

If you're not using Media Player Classic Home Cinema at all, then I believe it is fine not to install as well.
Old 2011-01-05, 11:02   Link #3
sneaker

If you want to update it (I'd do it, it already comes with Windows, but it's outdated on your computer) you can download it here (full download) or here (web installer).
Old 2011-01-05, 11:26   Link #4
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

DirectX is Microsoft's multimedia framework and is used for 3D graphics (games), video, audio and other multimedia shit. Keeping it updated is a good idea in general.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2011-01-05, 19:32   Link #5
DeadlySoldier37
The players president

Well thanks a lot guys, just trying to make sure that what I'm downloading is safe. Well I guess I'll go and download it.
Old 2011-01-05, 21:42   Link #6
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
In short, it is required to install the DirectX runtime unless you are not planning to use the video renderers marked (**) in Media Player Classic Home Cinema. (in particular EVR Custom Pres, I'm not 100% on the rest...) Overlay Mixer, Haali's Renderer, and madVR should be safe.
I got the warning on XP SP3 with DX9.0c, but not on Win7, so I assumed it was bleating about things like the EVR and DXVA2.0 that will never be backported to XP. MPC seems to run quite happily, but have there actually been any incremental updates to DX9.0c that would make a difference?
Old 2011-01-05, 21:55   Link #7
namaiki

EVR is available on XP as far as I know (with one of the .NET packs), but I think this is more about something that MPC-HC's custom renderer uses.

Simon, which video renderer are you using?
Old 2011-01-05, 23:22   Link #8
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
Simon, which video renderer are you using?
I'm glad you asked - last time I poked around in the settings (pre upgrading to 2010-10-10) I had it set to VMR-9 Renderless, but when I looked just now it was back on Overlay Mixer (not sure if it failed back because of my DX version or whether I've reset to defaults at some point). When I reselected VMR-9 it started insisting that I update DX again.

49MB of updates later I can use VMR-9 without it complaining, but tbh I still don't know what's changed - according to DxDiag the only difference is that I now have Managed DX installed, which simply tells me I can't trust DxDiag (in passing, out of all the Windows components I've worked with DirectX is the most chaotic when it comes to version numbering - someone in that team seriously needs to go take Product Configuration Management 101).

Oh well, the MPC authors understand this stuff infinitely better than I do, so I'll trust their advice over my own superstitious presumptions