AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2014-01-22, 22:12   Link #4521
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Harue not only applied to teach at Achiga, but she did so to become the club's adviser on a official capacity. As for the rest, let's see, Eisui and Shiraitodai have no visible adviser, but think of how these teams are structured -- the former is like a clan structure (branch families helping the main one), the latter like a Yakuza family rather than a club.
Your description of the two teams are hilarious.

In Hisa's case, she almost certainly has to be playing some games with the school to have the mahjong club still be active. Clubs normally don't get to exist with only 1 member for 1 year even if she gained a 2nd member the next year. They operate out of a clubhouse on a condemned building roof, which would seem like a lawsuit waiting to happen in the US if someone got hurt. I know Japan is more mediation, less lawsuits but I can't imagine that Japanese schools would allow people to walk around nominally unsafe areas without adult supervision and yes, an abandoned building that's not being maintained, rooftop clubhouse aside, is nominally unsafe. The mahjong club also has enough money *somehow* to afford training camps even prior to their first prefectural tournament. I know they said that the lodge was owned by their school and free, but there's still money needed for transportation and food.

No doubt it's helped by the fact that she's Student President though. If she gets on the council early (not necessarily President but in her 1st year), I suppose the school and her council colleagues may be inclined to let her club requirements slide a bit.

Quote:
That does beg the question though: as a school club, you'd think that they'd have an adviser at the very least, even if the teacher in question has no actual practical knowledge in what the club does (see Ama-chan in Free! or Mutsuko in Tamayura), just to supervise. And Hisa does the actual coaching anyway, but still...

With Kiyosumi, we've seen none of this, which makes it even more amazing how the club was even able to last this long. Methinks Hisa is playing up her influence as Student Council president to the hilt.
Actually, Hisa did have to go to a teacher / administrator in an office and have him stamp their papers for entry into the prefectural tournament. So presumably they do have at least someone who will stamp for them on behalf of the school even if this someone doesn't have anything else to do with the club.
Old 2014-01-22, 22:50   Link #4522
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Harue not only applied to teach at Achiga, but she did so to become the club's adviser on a official capacity. As for the rest, let's see, Eisui and Shiraitodai have no visible adviser, but think of how these teams are structured -- the former is like a clan structure (branch families helping the main one), the latter like a Yakuza family rather than a club.
Harue didn't know the club was back at first, it was only then she used her position as teacher to get in, but she didn't get the job at first with that intention in mind.

So, basically Eisui and Shiraitodai have a train yourself kind of mentality? I can buy that for the latter, either get good or get eaten by Teru. Though she might eat you anyway
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-22, 23:52   Link #4523
Marina2

The fact that all Shiratodai's Mahjong club members are not in the hospital after 2 years of Teru debut is still a mystery untill today.

I'm waiting for Shinohayu leak now...
Old 2014-01-23, 16:56   Link #4524
Azure_yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Yeah, chuuren indeed has to be a closed hand.
Well thank you haha well too bad then, i thought that will be my second Yakuman since i started, now i know how difficult that kind of hand is
Azure_yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 18:36   Link #4525
King-Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post

I'm waiting for Shinohayu leak now...
spoilers are out for them. Its mostly about Kanna.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-26, 23:04   Link #4526
teja208
Critical fanboy

When watching this episode, I can see why some anime only watchers will misunderstand about Jindai current state. It's easy to disregard Saki's comment about disappearing, but even easier to mistake Jindai's teammates discussing about point gap as point lead.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-26, 23:10   Link #4527
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
When watching this episode, I can see why some anime only watchers will misunderstand about Jindai current state. It's easy to disregard Saki's comment about disappearing, but even easier to mistake Jindai's teammates discussing about point gap as point lead.
To be honest, it was so long ago I had forgotten myself. That's gonna be the first of many surprise to anime only viewers.
Old 2014-01-26, 23:16   Link #4528
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Hmm, interesting you point that out - such a thing never occured to me while I was reading the manga, so of course it didn't occur to me here either.... I guess it could be understood that way.

Well, she will "fall asleep" next ep and then we will get our teaser hint of what she is capable of. Muwahaha....
Old 2014-01-26, 23:30   Link #4529
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Well, she will "fall asleep" next ep and then we will get our teaser hint of what she is capable of. Muwahaha....
Hopefully, the effects will be spectacular since we won't be seeing that again for a loooooooooooong time.
Old 2014-01-27, 09:47   Link #4530
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Hopefully, the effects will be spectacular since we won't be seeing that again for a loooooooooooong time.
I'm looking forward to it, since like if Jindaí's gonna be sitting at a mahjong table again, it'll be like 5 years later or so.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 12:30   Link #4531
Serperior

I'm just here to drop by to say that KIWI IS THE FRICKIN CUTEST GIRL EVER

The anime made her ability look so cool! (It gives Ryuuka with the Toki vibes but a different variation) and that made Mako's "cool" moment look like Kiwi bullying due to the fact that the anime made Aislinn 1000001010010101100101x FRICKIN CUTEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Serperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 13:49   Link #4532
thenightsshadow

Since I'm low on time, I'm just gonna make this post small, but I've noticed something else when comparing Saki's previous stunts and the Achiga-hen game.

Saki has a Wind Magnet, particularly to the West Winds. It explains why she's holding a West Tile in the opening too.

Basically, I was trying to finish one of the advanced challenges (Get +/- 0 with Saki) and nearly every time I would start the game or became East if I didn't start the game with it, I would have a Pon of West Winds in my opening hand (didn't happen twice out of 51 attempts). Is there something there that I'm missing?
thenightsshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 14:30   Link #4533
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Well, it's finally time to give Mako more credit. Well done, girl.

Still, poor Aislinn. Not even Awai got blocked this hard. Speaking of, this episode's little bit of original content makes the last we see of her before developing her little hate crush. Isn't Shizu super interesting, Awai-chan?

Also, Zennou was hospitalized during this? I don't remember that
Old 2014-02-02, 16:01   Link #4534
raincrow

She was hospitalized at least 15 months prior to the current tournament. Whatever happened to her must have been bad, seeing as she's still in the care of someone (when they show her later on).

Ugh, can't wait for the next ep. Hiroe vs. Hisa finally

btw, for Aislinn's power, is she basically picturing how she 'wants' the hands to end up? I was a little confused as to what she was trying to do.
raincrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 16:11   Link #4535
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhazaru View Post
She was hospitalized at least 15 months prior to the current tournament. Whatever happened to her must have been bad, seeing as she's still in the care of someone (when they show her later on).
So, Kyoko just wants to show her sickly coach that their team is strong enough to fulfill their dreams...
Welp, Saki is officially on the path to pure evil. That's gonna be one hell of a final match in the semis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhazaru View Post
btw, for Aislinn's power, is she basically picturing how she 'wants' the hands to end up? I was a little confused as to what she was trying to do.
I saw it as a weaker version of Toki's power, to see what tiles are needed to win, as well as the lineup for everyone else, only it seems to be much easier to interfere with since it's not actually a prediction, just an estimate.
Old 2014-02-02, 17:49   Link #4536
juventus95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Well, it's finally time to give Mako more credit. Well done, girl.

Still, poor Aislinn. Not even Awai got blocked this hard. Speaking of, this episode's little bit of original content makes the last we see of her before developing her little hate crush. Isn't Shizu super interesting, Awai-chan?

Also, Zennou was hospitalized during this? I don't remember that
Every time they show Awai in Zenkoku-hen and make her look like a big bad boss, I just want to laugh This is actually a bad move from the producer since anyone who watches Achiga knows how "well" Awai did in her semifinal match.

So it seems Hisa's match probably lasts 2 episodes. Nodoka is Ritz's favorite so her match may last at least 3 episodes. That leaves 3 episodes left for Saki's match.
juventus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 19:28   Link #4537
Fragment off
Reader or Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juventus95 View Post
Every time they show Awai in Zenkoku-hen and make her look like a big bad boss, I just want to laugh This is actually a bad move from the producer since anyone who watches Achiga knows how "well" Awai did in her semifinal match.
You mean good enough ? Sure she is not Saki or Teru or even Koromo-class, but you seem to forget she still managed to finish second against three power players geared up specially to counter her. She have a big Defensive hole due to her inexperience but I still consider her good .

And it also show that at that time she was still full of confidence . What will be intersting is how she will have changed for the Final.
Old 2014-02-02, 20:51   Link #4538
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juventus95 View Post
Not really a bad move, we are supposed to LOL at that scene. At least I think that's what's producer is aiming for.

Am I the only one who's getting more and more worried/uneasy how non-manga audiences appear to have less than impressive reaction to this season as a whole? Particularly those who lacks sufficient knowledge of the game.

The more I think about it, I more I can see why this is the case.

The fact that this anime comes after Achiga may partially contribute to that as well.

Achiga Semifinal match strong points are the characters mostly from Senriyama and Shindouji, more fancy display of superpowers, but less strategic oriented game.

OTOH, Side B quarterfinal also have few memorable character and the match strong point is it's more strategic focus which is harder to appreciate by non mahjong watchers. Notable characters are Atago sisters, Toyone, and Esui fanservices. Last one is highly depending on your tolerance of fanservice or whether you find them funny.

As for the shortcoming of this match. most notably pacing especially Mako match which I can see anime is trying to expand them (especially Miyamori side of things) which make it comparably better than the manga but casual anime fans haven't read them anyway.

Another downside is how some of the characters were nerfed which is more of internal flaws than external challenges post by their opponents. Jindai in particular is almost as reliable as Cold Touka in this match, Suzu didn't explode, Aslin's hex never manage to get a single win and probably looks like a weaker version of TokixRyuuka power, and next match is where Hisa will get her's which is while understandable is more of an internal struggle than her opponent which happens to be the Himematsu's ace.

Overall, QF match also doesn't post as much of the challenge for Kiyosumi compared to Nagano finals. Why is that? I think Ritz assigned Ryuumonbuchi as disc one final boss for Kiyosumi, then here at quarterfinal she decides to treat it as more of a breather match where we can just sit back, relax and enjoy some mikos stripping. Then after that, Semifinal becomes challenging again. However the five years gap between this and first season has proven too long a wait and counterproductive making the match come off as luckluster filler which is not the case.

This is why I felt that quarterfinal of Side B is a bad point to end this season and that anime should've wait till the semifinal of Side B is nearly done and cover both of them in one go.
Old 2014-02-02, 21:06   Link #4539
Requiem-x
The slacking one

It's pretty much as you said. Even in my case, I think Achiga was overall more enjoyable because of its much flashier second half. Yes, the quarters are played in a much smarter way, but it's just not so attractive if you don't know that much about mahjong. Saki's big monster moment, by far the coolest part, will be be downright incomprehensible for lots of people. Hell, I'm still not entirely sure how Kyoko is her bane. And of course, there's Nodoka, and we all know how "exciting" her matches are

Even in the yuri aspect things are much tamer. I mean, how do you out-gay Mairu and Himeko? Or Toki and Ryuuka? Not even the semis are pulling that off.

Don't misunderstand, the quarters are still good, and I'm looking forward to the fall and rise of Hisa (most likely the greatest moment for anime only viewers), as well as Saki unleashing the darkness, but its still tamer than the fireworks we saw in Achiga.
Old 2014-02-02, 21:07   Link #4540
Azure_yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragment off View Post
You mean good enough ? Sure she is not Saki or Teru or even Koromo-class,.
Well it's true Saki is good but she still has weakness the same weakness Yuki had in prefectural tournament against Jun, just look at her match against Kyouko( just because Kyouko able to disturb one of her kan), and her opinion of Kyouko, i'm scare buchou ahemm, Too different from Yuki who already cure that weakness of her to the point she said "If this will disrupt my momentum then i don't need that kind of momentum to begin with, yes Yuki has grown up" to the point her opponent amaze at her "she able to complete her hand despite the disruption this is different from what i heard"
Azure_yo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri