AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-02, 09:01   Link #2741
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Simoun..

I was attracted to Ri Maajon, and I thought there will be lots of focus on it.
But no, there's so much conversation and character development, action-wise it's pretty bad.
I laughed when people compared this series to Strawberry Panic, saying that SP pales in comparison, and whining about yuri stuffs, etc. Both of these series are unique in its own way, but I enjoyed SP more though. However, the animation and the technology in Simoun never fails to please me, simply amazing!

All the members of Chor Tempest only gets lovely at episode 26, and am most satisfied with Aaeru X Neviril. My dissatisfaction is due to Mamiina's way of death. It is a touching sight, but I just couldn't feel the "impact" that can bring me down to tears, and I thought to myself, " What? You're gone just like that??" Furthermore, they didn't handle her corpse well. That pissed me off to the core.

In conclusion, Simoun is pretty good for 26 episodes. A potential for re-watch.

A masterpiece, yea, it is.
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 09:20   Link #2742
Fweakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhead View Post
Furthermore, they didn't handle her corpse well. That pissed me off to the core.
Huh? I don't quite get what you mean by "handle her corpse well". How they drew it? How they dealt with the battle resulting in her rolling out into the field?
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 09:23   Link #2743
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Yea, she rolled out of the coffin. SHE IS LIKE, one of my favourites in Simoun!
How can they do that to her body... I am upset!
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 18:19   Link #2744
dauthik
Guitar Hero

Send a message via AIM to dauthik
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhead View Post
Yea, she rolled out of the coffin. SHE IS LIKE, one of my favourites in Simoun!
How can they do that to her body... I am upset!
I thought it was rather gorgeous myself, the wind blowing and the flowers creating a whirlwind around her... sad, but gorgeous.

I'm pretty sure it was done to show the uncertainty and politicking that goes on in war. Mamiina was not given a proper ceremony like she should have, and things did not turn out the way they should have.

It was also foreshadowing the eventual defeat of the kingdom (although Mamiina's death made that pretty obvious too) and they tied into it in a later episode, stating explicitly that because the Simula carrying Mamiina's body never returned, they knew they did not have control of their own airspace anymore, and were prepared for surrender.

So two major plot points. Could they have done without that scene? Possibly. But I think having it really added meaning. Not everyone is gonna make it out with a perfect ending. In fact, only Aaeru and Neviril did.

Now if we talked about who really got shafted, I would totally vote for Paraietta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerandomperson
Most people with her personality would go berserk than fall apart when they see a close friend's death(Mamiina). How did she develop that personality?
I thought Aaeru did go berserk, when she actually witnessed Mamiina's death anyway.
dauthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 11:50   Link #2745
jtrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin View Post
Huh? I don't quite get what you mean by "handle her corpse well". How they drew it? How they dealt with the battle resulting in her rolling out into the field?
I believe the scene was to be like the Music Video Savage Genius had for the ending song? Inori no Uta , best I can remember after a scene from cliffs over a ocean she is laying down in a field of flowers singing the song. Much like what was seen when n"Mamiinas' coffin opened and rolled her into the field of flowers."

I think the animators were paying Savage Genius a tribute.

Oh, I have the dvds on netfli.. rentals, enjoyed Dvd1 very much as well as the extras. I will most likely still buy the full set even though there is no english VA work done, it was really some nice detail.
jtrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 01:15   Link #2746
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauthik View Post
Did you like the series then? Because Aaeru was kind of a huge part of it.
I did like the series, though not as much as some people in this thread. It gets high points from me for originality, which is something I find most anime are lacking these days. I loved the character design and animation, and thought the characterization was pretty good for the large cast. The story was good, but the plot progression was pretty inconsistent. The Chor going to the Spring was a satisfying and logical conclusion that I was happy with. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give Simoun a 7.5, which may actually put it in my Top 10 anime, given that out of all I've seen, only Utena and Mushishi are 10s.
Old 2008-01-21, 18:51   Link #2747
Kumani
ガールズラブ

Send a message via AIM to Kumani Send a message via MSN to Kumani
Okay, so I've just finished watching Simoun, and when I started watching this anime I thought I wasn't going to like it. But it's amazing! I can't believe how much thought and creativity is put into this! The eyes (especially Neverils) are so beautiful, they are one of the best I've ever seen.

I still have a few questions though that kept playing in my mind because they were just left unanswered:

1. Is it true that Dominura is or was Onashia? because at the end, we see her drop some glittery stuff.

2. They never tell us what it was that Dominura saw, or did they? I'm so curious to know

3. At the last episode, was there another war??

Thanks and what a great anime!
Kumani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 22:52   Link #2748
LaFajita

Let me try my hand at this. Any others are welcome to jump in.
1. One of the imponderables that get tossed around here from time to time. My own interpretation of the glittery stuff is that it signals impending death, or rather a passing on to another plane.
Here's an interesting thought - just who is dropping the glittery stuff, Dominura or Limone? It could be said that Dominura died sometime earlier in the cabin scene, and Limone died in the later scene, while seeing Dominura as a spectral presense. There is a sense of passing time between the two scenes.

2. An unkind critic would say the creators threw a red herring at us here. Obviously, Dominura's future (at least the part we're allowed to see) isn't all that bad, unless she sees herself as Onashia. OBTW, it really sux to be Yun, who arguably makes the biggest sacrifice of all the characters in this anime.

3. Yes, there will be more war, this time between Pumbum and Argentium as the steak and the sizzle, and Simulacra as the French Fries.

More questions:

Where did Simulacra's Simouns come from? Also, the helical motors seem to sufficiently ubiquitous that Simulacra must have some limited means of producing them. Not bad for a society that seems to lack long range and/or wireless communications technology. I can understand Plumbum being so cautious with their V-twin versions, as the only ones they have are the ones they've literally dug up out of the ground.

How did the Plumbum priestess end up at the spring?

Questions like this are why I'm such a fan of this anime.
LaFajita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 02:46   Link #2749
km0120

1. I do not think Dominura is Onashia.
I have 4 reasons.
a.the difference of their names
Why did Dominura change her name? Even if she changed her name, why did she tell the members of Chor Tempest who she is really?

There still is the possibility that she forgot her memory or that she lost it by accident.

b.the differnce of their heights
Dominura is 168cm tall. Onashia is 178cm tall. What is this difference of 10cm?

Not choosing her sex may cause this growth.

c.Limone
If Domi is Onas, another Limone exists in the world. If Limone is alive, she also has power in Simulacrum as much as Onasia. But we do not know such a person in Simulacrum.
If Limone left Domi, it is highly likely that Limone is in Plumbum because of the legend(myth) Angulas told. Though, I wonder if the major scale war like this will happen.
If Limone was killed by accident, Domi lost her reason to live, according to her quotes. Or, even if the death resulted from not choosing her sex, Domi would die too as well as Limone.

d.the mystery of some glittery stuff
In my opinion, dropping some glittery stuff is a common sign of those who have not decided their sex yet over time limit. In fact, Dominura is 19 years old. She is already over 17 years old, the age to choose a sex. So, I think dropping some glittery stuff is a weak proof to unite two persons.

I wish there were third person who has not decided over 17 years old in Simoun.

2. We do not know what Dominura saw.
But there is room to imagine what it is. Let's guess that!

a.Waporif could not see that.
Is it because he is not Sibyllae?
If this is truth, can other Sibyllae see that?
Can only Dominura see that?

Inside helical motor, which controls time and space, there are...
b.something to destroy her pride and to crush her belief.
c.something to tell her that everything begins from herself.
In the result, she became like a wreck.

3. Yes.
We know it from a conversation between Flof and Vyuraf.

Last edited by km0120; 2008-01-29 at 12:38.
km0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 20:12   Link #2750
Kumani
ガールズラブ

Well thanks guys! this really cleared some stuff up but I'm still having some weird thoughts...I don't think Dominura is Onashia but I clearly remember her saying that Dominura was the last surviving member of Chor Dextra, and the only to complete the Emerald Ri Maajon, and Onashia said the same thing!!

Anyone care to explain that?

It also kinda sucks that we never get to see what Dominura saw, and true, if only the Sybiella can see it, then they indeed could have seen it, but I think they put the Simoun together back again before they could.
----

I also had another questions that kept bothering me, but I forgot what it was lol. And I really wanted to know the answer...

Thanks again!
Old 2008-02-07, 03:47   Link #2751
km0120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumani View Post
Well thanks guys! this really cleared some stuff up but I'm still having some weird thoughts...I don't think Dominura is Onashia but I clearly remember her saying that Dominura was the last surviving member of Chor Dextra, and the only to complete the Emerald Ri Maajon, and Onashia said the same thing!!

Anyone care to explain that?
Yes, you are right.
That point might confuse many viewer. As a result, the assumption that Dominura is Onashia came out, I think.
They belonged to Chor Dextra in the different time. Dominura belonged to Chor Dextra at a late stage of that, while Onashia had done before Dominura.

As an aside, Aaeru's grandfather belonged to Chor Dextra, too. If they insist that Dominura is Onashia, they need to give proof that Dominura is not Aaeru's grandfather.
km0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 05:07   Link #2752
Fweakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by km0120 View Post
1. I do not think Dominura is Onashia.
I have 4 reasons.
a.the difference of their names
Why did Dominura change her name? Even if she changed her name, why did she tell the members of Chor Tempest who she is really?

There still is the possibility that she forgot her memory or that she lost it by accident.

b.the differnce of their heights
Dominura is 168cm tall. Onashia is 178cm tall. What is this difference of 10cm?

Not choosing her sex may cause this growth.

c.Limone
If Domi is Onas, another Limone exists in the world. If Limone is alive, she also has power in Simulacrum as much as Onasia. But we do not know such a person in Simulacrum.
If Limone left Domi, it is highly likely that Limone is in Plumbum because of the legend(myth) Angulas told. Though, I wonder if the major scale war like this will happen.
If Limone was killed by accident, Domi lost her reason to live, according to her quotes. Or, even if the death resulted from not choosing her sex, Domi would die too as well as Limone.

d.the mystery of some glittery stuff
In my opinion, dropping some glittery stuff is a common sign of those who have not decided their sex yet over time limit. In fact, Dominura is 19 years old. She is already over 17 years old, the age to choose a sex. So, I think dropping some glittery stuff is a weak proof to unite two persons.

I wish there were third person who has not decided over 17 years old in Simoun.
All of those points can be explained away.

1. Speaking of time travel, it is not unreasonable to suggest that two identical beings occupying the same space in the same time could cause some serious problems (reference just about any movie dealing with time-travel ) Hence name change and suppression of details.

2.) As you said before, Dominura is supposedly only 19 (although the character design and voice indicate otherwise). Growth is possible after this age, especially as the sibylla are neither male nor female.

3.) Why does Limone have to be around? Who says didn't die before this stage.

4.) Both Neveril and Parietta are both 18. Aaeru is 17. Two of the 3 hadn't chosen a sex by the end of the series. No-one had gone glittery at that point.

As a point of reference, I still haven't made my mind up about whether she is or isn't Onashia. This is one of the things I liked about this series. It doesn't force feed you the answers or hit you over the head with them. It leaves questions unanswered, and is unashamed to do so, which feels more real to me.
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 08:56   Link #2753
dauthik
Guitar Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFajita View Post
Where did Simulacra's Simouns come from? Also, the helical motors seem to sufficiently ubiquitous that Simulacra must have some limited means of producing them. Not bad for a society that seems to lack long range and/or wireless communications technology. I can understand Plumbum being so cautious with their V-twin versions, as the only ones they have are the ones they've literally dug up out of the ground.

How did the Plumbum priestess end up at the spring?
I'll read the rest of it more thoroughly later, but I thought I'd address these two questions really quickly:

Simulacra doesn't know how to make the Simouns either. They dug them up as well. In the episodes it's been stated that they don't know what it is inside the helical motors that makes them work. The Similes they make (that fit one person) apparently use a different schematic than the true Simouns.

As for the Plumbum priestess, well, like I said, no one knows how the helical motors work. They certainly do transport people through time and space though.

BTW: impressions of the second Media Blasters DVD? Better job than the first one, I thought. Still have to get used to the names though.
Old 2008-02-13, 20:09   Link #2754
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Do the DVDs have any bonuses? I read somewhere that there were supposed to be some pictures included either with the DVDs or on them, but the only thing I've been able to find were postcards of the eyecatches.
Old 2008-02-18, 14:48   Link #2755
Aeon65
Warrior Princess

Cool

I loved this series, it's one of my all time favorites. Also wish they'd do another season.
Aeon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 09:06   Link #2756
Kumani
ガールズラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by km0120 View Post
Yes, you are right.
That point might confuse many viewer. As a result, the assumption that Dominura is Onashia came out, I think.
They belonged to Chor Dextra in the different time. Dominura belonged to Chor Dextra at a late stage of that, while Onashia had done before Dominura.

As an aside, Aaeru's grandfather belonged to Chor Dextra, too. If they insist that Dominura is Onashia, they need to give proof that Dominura is not Aaeru's grandfather.
oooh yes! you're right! I guess no one made that assumption because maybe Aaeru's grandfather was a guy? maybe...?

On another note, about the glittery stuff with age, you guys are making it so confusing! lol, i didn't think Simoun was going to be like this!
Old 2008-03-01, 19:05   Link #2757
Amray

Apparently this was the best Yuri anime for 2006.

MUST...........SEE......!
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 22:33   Link #2758
dauthik
Guitar Hero

I wonder what the chances of this soundtrack being released in the US are... I really want to listen to it, but I'm not enough of a fan to dish out $40 to import soundtracks from Japan, (I mean, I'm not enough of a fan to pay $40 for ANYTHING like that; only paid like $13 for Radiohead's In Rainbows, and that's already a pretty sizable amount) only enough to buy it if it shows up as a CD. :/
Old 2008-03-12, 15:24   Link #2759
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Send a message via AIM to LionsMane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumani View Post
oooh yes! you're right! I guess no one made that assumption because maybe Aaeru's grandfather was a guy? maybe...?

On another note, about the glittery stuff with age, you guys are making it so confusing! lol, i didn't think Simoun was going to be like this!
There are some people who have theories of Aaeru's grandfather being Amuria. I find it a little hard to come to such a conclusion simply because a lack of information we're given about Aaeru's grandfather but that is another theory that gets thrown around.
Old 2008-03-13, 13:55   Link #2760
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Or the fact that, if Amuria were transported to a time so near to the one in which she left, it would have likely been made known somehow who she was.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri