AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-03-10, 03:15   Link #1
kappachild

Exclamation Your thoughts on a kappa!?

Hello there Animesuki community! I’m doing a kind of research project on kappa and I was hoping you guys could help me out. Basically, I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind putting your thoughts to a couple of questions:

1) What comes to mind when you think of a kappa? There is no right answer, duh. Any physical or personal qualities that stand out?

2) Where/when did you first hear about/see kappa? Did you see one in an anime, or in manga? If so, which one, if you can recall? What was your first impression?

3) In your experience with kappa (manga, anime or otherwise), would you describe kappa as a positive/moral creature? Or neutral? Or an evil/negative creature?

((although I am presuming that many of you live outside of Japan and don’t have much experience with the image of the kappa, other than through exported media, if you do, that’s alright and please participate!))
kappachild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 03:35   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

1) Traditionally, the usual images - kind of a quasi-reptillian humanoid with a beak and a "monk's haircut" (water sloshing about on top). This image collides with my other imagery - that of the ravishing kappa-girl of the anime series Petopetosan named Sahara and her "yakuza-style" family operations (webbed fingers/toes and claws as needed).

2) Um, dozens of years ago (really) when studying mythologies in various cultures. Japan has a number of odd monsters but the kappa seem akin to the waterfolk of celt myth.

3) I'd call them neutral -- some of the kappa stories are evil, some good. Basically, you have to treat them with respect and try not to be caught alone by them.

Their looks and reputation with the people of Japan has evolved... somewhat like the trolls of Norway have been "cute-ified" by the Norwegians.

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-03-10 at 04:34. Reason: blah, meant to thumbnail/resize these but too tired, fix in morning.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 03:42   Link #3
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well, I think my first answer is going to be (snip)

I heard of Kappa from mytho, and of course, the fact that it's bold and carries a bit of water atop its head sticks out to me. I don't think that they are amoral, but just that they are beings that can be reasoned and interact with.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 03:45   Link #4
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Kappa?

1) Kappa!

2) GENSOKYO

3) Kappa ;_;

---

Okay in all seriousness

1)

2) I first learned of kappa while researching folklore of various cultures, some decade ago.

3) I tend to see kappa be shown in a positive light, though negative portrayals are not uncommon.

Last edited by Tempy; 2011-03-10 at 03:57.
Tempy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 06:56   Link #5
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I think of Sandy from Monkey (on the left);

Then Nitori because she's one of the few nonmimis in the Touhou cast I pay any heed to;

Quite different takes on them, no? I first saw Sandy (as named in the English dub of Monkey) in the... late 70s? maybe early 80s, too long ago to remember now. Sandy was always pretty whiny and annoying, but was never actually bad, iirc.

And Nitori is cute and a tinkerer, which is entertaining. I mostly know her from fanon though, not canon works as I haven't played MoF or later Touhou games.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 07:52   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I can only answer question (2) -- Karasuma's kappa costume in School Rumble. I had no idea what that was about; still don't, really.

SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 08:35   Link #7
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I can only answer question (2) -- Karasuma's kappa costume in School Rumble. I had no idea what that was about; still don't, really.

There was a friendly one in Inukami much more like the traditional version (shell and all) but in School Rumble's case it was just the fact that Karasuma was a total weirdo... and a "kappa" is also slang for a raincoat iirc, and he got it wrong that you're supposed to wear one in the rain... or something. Been years since I've seen SR, the conclusion OVAs kinda ruined it for me.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 09:42   Link #8
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Quote:

This. That is what I thought of when the word Kappa
Old 2011-03-10, 09:53   Link #9
LonelyGirl
Observer.
*Artist

1.) I think of that character from Animal Crossing. His name I believe was Kapp'n and he was obviously based off a Kappa. The beak and turtle like shell kinda stand out to me.

2.) I first saw a Kappa in Animal Crossing but I didn't know what it was nor did I think about it. I first learned about kappa through the show "Kappa Mikey" there was an episode that explained what kappa were and why he was named "Kappa Mikey"

3.) I wouldn't portray them as bad creature but not really good or neutral creatures either, if anything I would say good but I cannot say that for sure.
LonelyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 09:55   Link #10
Gault
inc_mplete

1) a clothing brand mostly worn by Middle easterners , Turkish , Greeks and Italians[they could all be labeled as "Wogs" here , no Racist intention] in Australia

2) Fat Pizza comedy show

3) never
Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 12:05   Link #11
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappachild View Post
Hello there Animesuki community! I’m doing a kind of research project on kappa and I was hoping you guys could help me out. Basically, I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind putting your thoughts to a couple of questions:

1) What comes to mind when you think of a kappa? There is no right answer, duh. Any physical or personal qualities that stand out?

2) Where/when did you first hear about/see kappa? Did you see one in an anime, or in manga? If so, which one, if you can recall? What was your first impression?

3) In your experience with kappa (manga, anime or otherwise), would you describe kappa as a positive/moral creature? Or neutral? Or an evil/negative creature?

((although I am presuming that many of you live outside of Japan and don’t have much experience with the image of the kappa, other than through exported media, if you do, that’s alright and please participate!))
1. The physical quality that stands out the most is the head, which looks like something of bald head. Also the turtle like shell on its back.
2. First time I saw kappa in anime was "sanpei the kappa"
3. Seems positive from what I watched, none of the representation I saw seemed evil.
Old 2011-03-11, 01:00   Link #12
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Here's my usual thought process on kappa.

(1.) Nagasarete Airantou's Tohno.
(2.) Nagasarete Airantou's sexy sexy Tohno.
(3.) Oh yeah, that Touhou girl.
(4.) Hey, wasn't there a kappa in Harry Potter?
(5.) I like swords.
Old 2011-03-12, 19:17   Link #13
Eater of All
NOM

1) The first thought that comes to mind is Mayor from Arakawa. Which leads me to think of yakuza and suits.

2)
Quote:

3) Pretty neutral; I don't think I've ever seen a kappa being portrayed as a villain.
Old 2011-03-13, 01:11   Link #14
Tsuyukusa
King of Carrot Flowers

2. It was in an anime a number of years ago. I don't remember what series it was though.

3. I've never seen them portrayed as evil creatures. They always seem neutral to me.
Tsuyukusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 12:20   Link #15
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyukusa View Post

2. It was in an anime a number of years ago. I don't remember what series it was though.

3. I've never seen them portrayed as evil creatures. They always seem neutral to me.
1. That pic is from natsume
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 14:34   Link #16
Tsuyukusa
King of Carrot Flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho bolt View Post
1. That pic is from natsume
I know. That wasn't the first Kapa I saw, it's just what comes to mind when I hear someone mention them.
Tsuyukusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 17:45   Link #17
ujiuji

1. The head with its water reservoir, shell, beak, fondness for cucumbers. I have a chopstick rest in the form of a chubby kappa so I tend to think of that.

2. I was reading an article in an encyclopaedia about Japanese folklore when I first came across them.

3. Potentially dangerous but morally neutral. They might occasionally eat people but can be persuaded not to quite easily.
ujiuji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kappa, survey