AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-05-31, 17:43   Link #21
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I'm not watching much this season, but I guess I never usually do.

Name of Series: The World God Only Knows II
Episodes Watched: 8
Rating: A-
Comments: Out of what I'm following right now, this is my highlight of the season. I really enjoy the manga a lot and appreciate how the adaptation is managing to stay incredibly faithful towards it while still throwing a bit of it's own charm without managing to affect it negatively at all. Mostly emphasis in emotional drama.

Name of Series: Aria the Scarlet Ammo
Episodes Watched: 7
Rating: B+
Comments: First light novel series' I've ever followed the source material of. Has an interesting universe that it is set in and includes some pretty cool and intense action scenes despite being short-lived. While silly comedy and harem-antics are present it's given a reasonable amount of focus alongside the plot, and never takes hold of everything.

Name of Series: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Rating: B-
Comments: I don't have a lot to say about this show, but I really do enjoy watching the characters interact with one another and how touching it is seeing Makoto assist his cousin Erio in regaining her place as a proper member of society. Not to mention one large mystery is presented that has yet to be resolved, but most likely will be by the conclusion. Shaft's unique animation perks sneak in too and are always awe-worthy to me.

Name of Series: Toriko
Rating: C+
Comments: At first glance it may look like your average shounen series, and a long-runner one at that, but it actually has an incredibly fun and interesting concept with a developed world and not to mention has a really diverse cast of unique and cool characters. However it loses points because the adaptation is relatively less faithful to the source and really makes the gruesomeness of some of the series much more childish than it should have to be.

Name of Series: Nichijou
Episodes Watched: 9
Rating: C
Comments: This series is really random, yet still manages to be quite entertaining. Scenes and episode are drastically different in tone from one another sometimes, all of them usually alternating between the humor and moe aspect of the show. Number one of the shows this season that has managed to make me laugh out loud on multiple occasions.

Name of Series: Hoshizora e Kakeru Hashi
Rating: C-
Comments: Easy to tell it's an eroge adaptation, and the amount of cliches this series has is absolutely staggering. However, it's really not that bad of a watch. It's a character driven series with no real plot whatsoever, but it's still enjoyable even if just to observe the characters building relationships and going about their everyday lives. A bit of oncoming drama is possibly here too.

Name of Series: Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai
Rating: D
Comments: This series is one big tease. You expect it to be one thing and then the very next episode sets your head spinning again with even more questions to accompany the answers to previous questions. This series takes 4 episodes to actually show any signs of a plot which is ridiculous for one-cour, but once it gets there, good luck trying to follow any of it well enough. The fanservice is probably the most graphic out of any show this season too.

Series originally interested in but have not watched :

Steins;Gate - I held off watching this one because it was adapted from a visual novel, which I would much rather play first than watch the anime of.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2011-05-31 at 18:12.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 17:48   Link #22
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Briefly:

Dororon Enma-kun Meerameera: A. Go Nagai updated for the 21st Century with a killer soundtrack and incredibly filthy humor. A cast full of industry legends having great fun with bizarre and silly material.

AnoHana: A+. Without question the best series of the year for me so far. Complex, interesting and believable characters that grow and develop naturally. Involving and interesting premise. NoitaminA strikes again.

Ao no Excorcist: B. A very solid, well-produced shounen adaptation that doesn't do anything new but does what it does extremely well.

Deadman Wonderland: B+. A tall order, adapting this excellent and highly disturbing manga in one cour. Manglobe has done a good job so far - they've captured the horror and injustice of the manga and managed to cram a lot into 7 episodes. But it's still hard to see how this can end in 12.

C: B-. An intellectually interesting series that has never really grabbed me dramatically. Inconsistent animation, relatively bland lead and erratic pacing have all hurt, but there's an interesting "Pokemon for adults" idea at the heart of it and the show occasionally strikes gold.

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko: B. Preposterously moe fantastical slice-of-life with the best-looking character designs of the season. Refuses to take itself seriously enough to breathe life into the semi-serious events at its heart, but always entertaining and Maekawa-san is one of the best characters of the year.

Yondemasu yo Azael-san: B-. Occasionally very funny ecchi-fest that often seems more interested in offending than entertaining. Production I.G. continues to make some very odd choices lately.

Hanasaku Iroha: B. The most maddeningly inconsistent show of the Spring - and also probably the most visually stunning. The shipping wars erupting over it are amusingly silly, but when the show focuses on its coming-of-age heart (all too rarely) it's capable of greatness.

Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi: C+. If there were ever a guilty pleasure this is it. Gloriously, proudly stupid with an oddly deranged streak and pronounced shotacon obsession.

Hyouge Mono: A-. The oddest and perhaps smartest show of the season. Maddeningly slow with the subs, but worth the wait. A study of aestheticism, the thirst for power and the nature of love set during the Sengoku era. You'll never see a stranger and more charismatic lead or a more layered depiction of Oda Nobunaga.

Moshidora: C+. A very odd series about the management of a high-school baseball team with Pe-tah Du-ruck-ah's book as a guide. Heavy-handed and clumsy dramatically and full of cliche, but with a good heart and a novel idea to salvage the day.

Showa Monogatari: B. A nostalgic look at family life in Japan in 1964. I love the portrait it paints of a simpler Tokyo, and the family drama is fairly compelling. Not lavishly animated but with a very interesting look to it.

Steins;Gate: A-. A sci-fi comedy with the best dialogue of the season and an increasingly compelling (if obtuse) storyline. Terrific cast, good pacing, cool Akiba locales. Lots to like here.

Tiger & Bunny: B+. Possibly my favorite lead of the season (along with Jintan in AnoHana) is Kotetsu. Both cynical and idealistic, he's unlike almost any other male lead in anime. Inconsistent, but generally quite entertaining and now, finally rolling out an underlying plot.

Still watching:

Gosick - Getting better, generally speaking. Keep the focus on Victorique and Kujo, building towards a blockbuster finale it looks like.

Fairy Tail - Just keeps on rollin'. Very solid and witty shounen with just a hint of depravity to it. And Lucy is still incredibly loveable - and hot.

Dropped: Dog Days, Ore-tachi, Astorotte no Omocha, Sket Dance.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 18:00   Link #23
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... in some ways I think this thread is a little too pre-mature, simply because the shows are still airing and some of them may turn out to be a smashing unexpected success or flop by the last ep.

But I'll chime in here too just because, although admittedly I am not following as many titles as the other posters.

Ano Hana: 9 of 10. For me this is without a doubt my fave show of the season.

Hanasaku Iroha: 8 of 10. I am enjoying this one too, and agree with Enzo about the animation being beautiful.

Nichijou: 7 of 10. Sometimes it is outrageously funny and sometimes makes me scratch my head in puzzlement. But overall I enjoy it.

Denpa: 7 of 10. I did not expect to follow this one at the beginning of the season, but after repeated suggestions from others I decided to give it a try, and I am glad I did.

TWGOK S2: 8 of 10. Not as good as Season 1 for me, but still quite good and pretty faithful to the manga, which is always a plus in my book.

Gosick: 8 of 10. Carried over from last season to this one. Keeps getting better and better. My main focus from the beginning has been on the relationship and interaction between the two main characters, and that aspect has delivered for me. Although the eps look to be getting better as the season draw to a close!

Ore no Imouto true end eps: 8 of 10. They just finished with the last one today. I really enjoyed this series as a whole and thought they did a much more convincing job with the "true end" eps. Kirino's growth as a whole was more convincing.
Old 2011-05-31, 18:03   Link #24
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

It's not premature because it's basically a midway impression thread.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 18:03   Link #25
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Hmm ... in some ways I think this thread is a little too pre-mature, simply because the shows are still airing and some of them may turn out to be a smashing unexpected success or flop by the last ep.
From what I've seen, these threads usually appeared somewhere around the seasons' midpoints-- it's actually more of a checkpoint thread, and often followed up with a counterpart final impressions thread. So don't worry-- you can always just update it or post more anyways. It's more interesting to see how people's opinions can change as well.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 18:06   Link #26
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
It's not premature because it's basically a midway impression thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
From what I've seen, these threads usually appeared somewhere around the seasons' midpoints-- it's actually more of a checkpoint thread, and often followed up with a counterpart final impressions thread. So don't worry-- you can always just update it or post more anyways. It's more interesting to see how people's opinions can change as well.
No complaints ... just me spouting my opinions as usual.
Old 2011-05-31, 18:08   Link #27
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Keep in mind the sheer amount of shows this season and some of us are busy people .

If you guys can make a strong case for the shows, more interest would develop.
Hey, I already wrote some sloppy praise of it and hid it under a spoiler tag. What more could you possibly ask of me?!

There are a lot of shows this season, though, you're absolutely right. Which unfortunately makes it a lot easier for gems to go by unnoticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Actually, these threads have been a tradition for some time, and they're usually made a lot earlier than this. They're meant to give people an outlet for initial impressions or thoughts as the series progress and/or thoughts on the season as a whole. They're not meant to be reviews of the finished product.

Edit: Sort of redundant as it's already been addressed. Damn your fast fingers!
Old 2011-05-31, 18:10   Link #28
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Ah yea, I was gonna make one earlier, but I was hoping someone else would do it; thus the lateness. Then I got lazy and I only made it now.

Next time, if I don't see a thread like this a few weeks into the season, I'll go ahead and make one. It is fortunate we have some 2 cour shows this season, so it's not too late for them at least.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 18:11   Link #29
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
....Edit: Sort of redundant as it's already been addressed. Damn your fast fingers!

Sorry, sorry.
Old 2011-05-31, 19:12   Link #30
ion475
にこにこにー

For me...

Name of Series: Denpa Onna
Episodes Watched: 7/12
Rating: A++++
Comments: Erio & Ryushi are just too kawaii...no story? Who cares, what story do people expect anyway? (Well, to be fair, there is a story, at least when you compare to something like K-On...)

Name of Series: Moshidora
Episodes Watched: 8/10 (And already read spoiler for the rest...)
Comments: Can be boring at times, and of course, there's a reason why I still haven't watch ep. 9, just can't bare to...

Name of Series: TWGOK II
Episodes Watched: 8/??
Rating: A
Comments: It's better than Season 1 in my opinion. Of course, Haqua helps...

Episodes Watched: 4/12?
Rating: B
Comments: I just fall behind on this since it's one of those series that I can watch whenever I feels like...

Name of Series: Hidan no Aria
Episodes Watched: 7/12?
Rating: F (for the anime), A+++++++++++++ (for Aria)
Comments: Seriously, JC Staff, stop ruining series...the execution is just terrible, VERY terrible. At least Kugimiya will keep me from dropping this...

Name of Series: Astarotte no Omocha
Episodes Watched: 8/12?
Rating: A+
Comments: The much better Kugimiya anime this season. Of course, Kugimiya alone bump this up from maybe average to awesome...

Name of Series: Ore no Imouto (Extra episodes)
Episodes Watched: 4/4
Comments: Ep. 13 & 14 is of course awesome, but ep. 15, suppose to be the "climax", just don't feels that way, with the only thing they confirm is that Kyousuke is a siscon...

Need to catch up on Gosick, Anohana, and Hanasaku Iroha to comment on them...
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 19:13   Link #31
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
You say that like it's a good thing. Actually being 10 is even worse than just looking it.
I'd rather lolis be lolis and older girls who look like older girls; rather than older girls who look like lolis, but that's me . And anyways them being that age is kind of important in the series...
Spoiler for Spoilers from 3~5 episode of Lotte no Omacha:
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 22:21   Link #32
justsomeguy

A Channel: I was originally not going to watch this since I knew it would be yet another moe 4koma adaptation, but then I saw Tooru with her baseball bat, and I was sold. There's not much plot, but the characters are all likable in their own way, there's the insert song in each episode, and all of the gags are funny enough.
8/10, pretty enjoyable. I'm watching this and not Nichijou, which had no appeal at all.

Dog Days: The plot is basic, the characters are shallow, the Nana Mizuka OP sucks, the "battles" are not too exciting, and yet, this is pretty fun to watch. The girls are all cute too, even if the huge cast leaves everybody underdeveloped (in personality).
8/10, shallow entertainment. Turn off your brain and it's quite fun to watch.

Astarotte no Omocha: A surprisingly touching family drama, and not very loli at all. Kinda slow and not particularly exciting though, since this is a peaceful show and there's not much overarching plot.
8/10, waiting to see where everything is going.

Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi: As soon as I realized that this was a Feng eroge adaptation like Akane-iro and 11eyes, I set my expectations low. As it turns out, it's watchable and not too bad. Sure the girls are all stereotypes, the MC (and producers) seems to be much too interested in his kid brother, the "drama" is nonexistent, and there's no plot so far, but I'm eager to see if they're going to pull off a gay incest ending just for laughs.
7/10, definitely not "good," but not too awful. Guilty pleasure #1.

Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa nai: I read the comments in Aroduc's blog and knew the big secret as early as the second episode, but that still didn't do much to change my impression of this show. This show is completely hyper, has too much unnecessary fanservice, and due to the rushing and huge cast comes off as poorly developed in characterization and plot.
6.5/10, belongs in that "great idea, poorly executed" thread. Guilty pleasure #2.

Hidan no Aria: As far as JC Staff adaptations go, this is actually faithful, so thumbs up for that. Unfortunately, the source material is cheesy and ridiculous yet takes itself far too seriously. Seriously, too many characters are descendants of famous figures, all of them show up in one high school, the world is dangerous enough to train teenagers in armed combat (and yet they're not allowed to kill, and thus use deadly weapons in nonlethal ways) but adults are strangely lacking in presence, etc. Oh right, there are magic powers too.
8/10 overall (9/10 for adaptation, 7/10 for source material). Hey, at least it's got a better adaptation than Yumekui Merry (such a disaster, the director even apologized!)

Stein's Gate: Dropped for being slow and boring.

Nichijou: Not interested. Where's FMP season 3, KyoAni?!

Hanasaku Iroha: I seriously need to make some time so I can watch this thoroughly rather than skip around like I do now.

AnoHana: Supposedly the best this season, and based on its premise I can see why, but I still haven't started watching for some reason.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 23:23   Link #33
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
X-Men
Episodes 1-8
B+
Man, what the hell happened? Madhouse finally made a Marvel anime that doesn't suck...

...this has what I suppose is the best characterization of Scott Summers ... ever?
Exactly...This version of Scott Summers is by far the best...I've never liked him in any incarnation until now...He's clearly out-wolverining Wolverine for the first time ever...

Moving along...

Name of Series: X-men
Episodes Watched: Up to date
Rating: B
Comments
:

Call it lowered expectations but after the horror that was Ironman, and the mehness that was Wolverine, X-Men has been a pleasant surprise...It's far more monotone and gritty than I would have expected which is good, and while the story isn't spectacular, the team building dynamic is enuff to hold the current scenarios on the show together...Also like I previously said, Cyclops is actually a cool bada$$ leader, imagine that? My only gripe is that they didn't have the foresight to create the show in HD...I mean sometimes I have to go into Jean Grey Phoenix-mode adjusting my filter settings to create the best picture possible...

Name of Series: Gintama2
Comments:

What can be said? If ya love Gintama, ya love Gintama...No shonen-fighter has ever been able to spoof the other shonens like it does, yet at the same time it can create arcs, villains, and atmospheres that are just as good (If not better), than the most serious of stuff out there...It's the only anime that when I watch it, it brings me back to those feelings of wonder I used to have when I first got into anime (It has an oldschool goodness)...This season is just a continuation of that goodness...

Name of Series: Deadman Wonderland
Rating: B+
Comments:

The only reason I'm watching this show is because I stumbled upon a random thread somewhere and saw the title...I thought to myself, damn that awesome title for a show...That's how I pick alot of shows fortunately//unfortunately^^...This one has been pretty good...I really enjoy the themes of the show, especially the ones expressed in the OP...It's also rare to see a non-vampire title where the main power is blood manipulation...My only concern is that the show will bog down into just a tournament fighter...Not that I'd mind that much, but the show is strongest when it's a psychological thriller (How it started off)...Hope it returns to that zone of personal peril...Another gripe is that Naruto's the VA for the main character, I swear if I hear "Sasghey!" I'm gonna lose it!

Name of Series: Kaiji2
Comments:

The first season was a sheer mind-numbing look into the heart of loathing and despair...Kaiji was a show I had never quite seen before and the gritty character designs with the gritty concepts made S1 a winner...Season 2 as many have said is just kinda slow...It probably should have taken 4 eps to do what they've done in 8, but Kaiji always keeps you on your toes, because the main character is such a GOOD-BAD Gambler...You know the second he wins, he's gonna somehow muck it up...So the show preys on the audiences' insecurities and via incredible dramatized tension, it makes the simple task of watching dice spin inside a bowl into the ultimate experience...There are certain scenes in Kaiji that give my heart and mind more thrills than any power-up or sword-blasting energy I'll watch in other shows...It turns mundane games into visual spectacles, then psychologically murders you with it's underbelly...This season despite the pacing has been wowzer!
Old 2011-06-01, 15:09   Link #34
Tsuyukusa
King of Carrot Flowers

Ano Hana
Episodes watched: 7
Comments: This show turns me into a nostalgic pile of mush.

Ao no Exorcist
Episodes watched: 7
Rating A-
Comments: Shounen done right. I love the characters, animation and concept. Some parts feel like definite filler, but it's excusable.

Deadman Wonderland
Episodes watched: 4
Rating: C
Comments: I liked the plot, but it didn't really hold my interest. I didn't care at all about the characters and I really disliked the artwork.

[C]
Episodes watched: 4
Rating: B-
Comments: I love the concept. Some character designs are great, others are awful. I stopped watching it for some reason, but I'll probably pick it up again.

Dog Days
Episodes watched: 1.5
Rating: D-
Comments: This just isn't my cup of tea.
Tsuyukusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 15:48   Link #35
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I'm going to need to catch up on a few shows before posting my impressions since I've been busy, but I feel the need to just quickly weigh in on Astarotte's Toy:

After reading the premise and then realizing the manga is read by people who I know aren't lolicons, I began to suspect that the show was using a similar marketing concept to Ore no Imouto: make the title/concept sound absolutely outrageous to garner attention, then by the time they realize how much tamer the real story is, they'll be hooked.

What I've seen thus far definitely conforms to this theory. There's a bit of moderate lolicon fanservice from time to time, but for the most part it's "cute, heartwarming, and with a sometimes inappropriate sense of humour".

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2011-06-01 at 16:03.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 16:36   Link #36
Dawnstorm

Since it's a mid-season review, I'll add the category "trend", since some shows started strong, but left off, while others grew on me.

A Channel:
Watched: Up to date
Rating: 8/10
Trend: Steady
Comments: Near perfect execution. Subtle portrayal of emotion. Low-key humour. Character focus. Win.

Ano Hana:
Rating: 9/10
Trend: Slightly downwards ("Novelty wears off, and no new interest is introduced")
Comments: Likable characters. I especially like that the characters look different as children, but are still recognisable. This aspect is very well done. Nice drama, nice humour. One of my favourites.

Ao No Exorcist:
Trend: Rising ("Characters grow on me")
Comments: Unexceptional content, great execution.

Astarotte no Omocha:
Rating: 7/10
Trend: steady
Comments: Gives me the warm fuzzies. It's just a warmhearted little show; good for the soul.

Battle Girls, Time Paradox:
Comments: Good fun, mostly due to Hideyoshi. Nothing much to say about it.

[C]:
Rating: 6/10
Trend: Uneven ("Just when I'm about to drop it something interesting happens")
Comments: The show has potential, but it doesn't make use of it. Both emotionally and intellectually unsatisfying, and the battle-setting seems out of place. Every now and then, something interesting happens, but then they don't really follow through. Still: puzzling out the different factions is interesting enough to keep me watching.

Deadman Wonderland:
Trend: falling
Comments: Too much melodrama in the exution, for my taste, so I didn't really get into it. The more I learn, the less interested I become in the show. Don't like Ganta at all.

Denpa Onna:
Trend: Rising ("There's a background subtlety to the show I didn't notice, and suddenly I found myself hooked.")
Comments: This is what I hoped Arakawa would be. Great character development; also great use of music and setting. Probably my second favourite show this season, now.

Dog Days:
Watched: 1 ep
Rating: ?
Trend: N/A
Comments: Not my cup of tea. Can't rate it, really. The show had potential, but not a potential I was interested in.

Gossick:
Trend: uneven
Comments: Kujo has a tendency to be annoying, but I generally like him. Love Victorique. I'm mildly curious about the grey-wolf arc, but the main interest is the main character's relationship. Sometimes, they lay the drama on a bit thickly, but generally it's a good show to watch.

Hanasaku Iroha:
Trend: slightly downards ("novelty wears off")
Comments: After two very strong episodes, it becomes somewhat conventional. Still, I like most of the characters, and - unlike many - I even like the silly episodes. Nice to see a show that spans generations and takes them all seriously.

Hyouge Mono:
Watched: 4 eps (waiting for the subs; time to check for 5?)
Comments: Great concept (How to tie up style with political intrigue?), splendid exectuion. This is the most underrated show of the season. I'd buy the dvd-set if I saw it, but if not even the fansub community is excited about the show, what are the odds that it gets licenced in my area? I'm sad...

Moshidora:
Watched: Complete show
Trend: Steady, but spike near the end
Comments: Hard to rate. The show itself is more like a 6/10. Interesting concept, well planned out, but uninspiring exectuion. But then you get the ending and...

Spoiler:

Nichijou:
Watched: up to date
Trend: Uneven
Comments: I love the absurdist humour. At its best it's joke poetry. They do have a tendency though to stick with initially funny jokes too long: beating them to death and then reanimating them so we can watch the zombie joke shuffle around some more, kind of like this sentence...

Ore tachi ni tsubase na wai:
Rating: ?!
Trend: Roller Coaster
Comments: This is either one of the cleverest, subtlest shows I've ever seen, or it's one complete mess, and I keep dithering between the two poles. I can't possibly rate this. I spent about 7 eps ranting about annoying, gratuitious fanservice. Then along comes ep 8, and I do a double take. Wait! The annoying, gratuitious fanservice is not... gratuitious? (It's still annoying, though.) I do love the character portrayal, though.

Sket Dance:
Trend: Very uneven
Comments: Wouldn't keep watching this, if they didn't have the occasional flare of brilliance (such as the manga-girl episode, or the fake-oni-hime episode).

Steins;Gate:
Rating: 10/10
Comments: Surface sillieness, covering a sense of real emotion. Great character interaction. And a feeling that a group of people stumble into an adventure that's going straight over their heads. The washed-out colours make a nice contrast to the over-the-top voice acting and quirky characters. It's the Twin Peaks of anime. I love it.

The World God Only Knows II:
Comments: Better than season 1 so far. Still love the way they use music.

Tiger and Bunny:
Watched: 1 ep
Trend: N/A
Comment: Decent entertainment. Dunno why I dropped it; probably because I didn't like Bunny.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 12:16   Link #37
klare

agreed that this type of review is entertaining

Name of Series: Deadman Wonderland
Comments: maybe due to low expectation, this is the surprise of the season for me, i am one of those who want to rewatch the uncensored version

Name of Series: Steins Gate
Rating: 7.5/10
Comments: the story and plot is interesting, likable characters, feel the urge to know what will happen next

Name of Series: Tiger & Bunny
Episodes Watched: 6
Rating: 7.5/10
Comments: started strongly and so far able to maintain, should be the most entertaining series

Name of Series: X-Men
Comments: quite solid so far, hope to see more familiar characters/villains

Comments: not funny all the time and sometimes too random but it is entertaining enough for me to continue

Name of Series: Ao no Exorcist
Rating: 6.5/10
Comments: can feel the high quality animation, the story is getting better

Name of Series: Fireball Charming
Comments: not as funny as the previous season but the animation is obviously improved

Dropped: Hidan no Aria (after 1 eps)

On-hold: The world only god know II (after 4 eps), Denpa Onna (after 5 eps)
Old 2011-06-02, 18:18   Link #38
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
After reading the premise and then realizing the manga is read by people who I know aren't lolicons, I began to suspect that the show was using a similar marketing concept to Ore no Imouto: make the title/concept sound absolutely outrageous to garner attention, then by the time they realize how much tamer the real story is, they'll be hooked.
That's good to know; I'm glad to know that I might've judged it too quickly.

However, using "we're a lolicon show" to draw people in isn't exactly garnering my respect, even if it's only a facade.
Old 2011-06-02, 21:40   Link #39
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Denpa Onna etc. - 7.5/10
A very "Shaft"-esque show if I ever seen one. If the studio's good at anything, it's making insanity feel so everyday and typical, and the results for this show are quite good.

A Channel - 7/10
Sometimes I feel like the show is trying too hard to be like Lucky Star and/or Azumanga. The show is generally conventional but at times it's genuinely hilarious and some very touching moments. Great OP too.

Nichijou - 8/10
This... show is hard to judge. The simple designs hide some of the most fantastic animation Kyoto Animation has done since Clannad. The over-the-top not-so-everyday lives of the characters mix and mash very well with ore realistic events, making this show a very unique hybrid.

The World God Only Knows - 9/10
The relatively poor reception of the first season has hampered the show in some aspects. The season is shorter and the animation budget seems less. On the other hand, the adaptation this time is stronger, making the arcs much more enjoyable than last season.

Ano Hana - 9/10
A few bits of melodrama here and there, but it's only once in a blue moon that a show manages to completely nail it's characters. Realistic characters, a genuinely touching setting and great voice performances make this one of my two gems for this season.

Hana-Saku Iroha - 9/10
The two strongest opening episodes in a very long time. The main problem I guess is that the show can sometimes be off putting the way it switches between extremes in comedy, drama etc, but it nails them most of the time. Counting in some fantastic animation, great voice performances and quite possibly one of my favorite female leads ever, this is my second gem of the season.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 19:04   Link #40
Bri

All in all one of the best seasons in recent years, normally I rarely watch more then 4 anime in a given season.

Ano Hana: 7/10 It has interesting characters and the story takes it’s time to develop. Not much wrong with this show, at times a bit too sentimental but not enough to be irritating.

C: 5/10 I had hoped this would turn out to be some kind of political thriller or social comment on the financial sector, but the pokemon for adults doesn’t really appeal to me. Would have dropped it if wasn’t for Kimimaro and Mashu. Don’t understand why this anime was included in the noitamina block.

Deadman Wonderland: 6.5/10 A guilty pleasure as it’s a bit of an over the top variation on the “Battle Royale” theme. Characters are messed up in the head in a pleasant way, and the suspense is high enough to make me want to watch this show first thing every week.

Denpa Onna: 6/10 Well, what can I say; the cute is strong in this one. The show has a funny concept which could have been worked out more if it hadn’t gone the easy route of relying on character marketing.

Dororaon Enma-kun: 8.5/10 Best anime of the season by far, and it has received way too little attention. A strong adaption of Go Nagai original hot blooded ecchi horror-comedy , it combines a retro feel, slick animation and a great soundtrack. It’s like a cross between Austin Powers and Panty and Stockings. Loaded with anime and pop culture references. Bring on the filth.

Hanasaku Iroha: 7.5/10 J-drama meets P.A.Works. Very pretty animation, started off really strong but lost a bit of impact. Still a great watch and I am curious where it will lead.

Moshidora: 7/10 Solid and slowly built up anime on a strange mix of management and baseball. Characters are unremarkable but it’s a heartwarming show.

Nichijou: 7/10 It took time to get used to the typical sense of humor, but it slowly picked up steam. It has very high production values but still lacks a focal character to bring some structure to the randomness.

Showa Monogatari: 6.5/10 Nice anime on family life in Japan in the 60s.Animation quality isn’t that great but an anime like this doesn’t need flashy graphics. Wish it got subbed faster.

Stein’s Gate: 8/10 Clever sci-fi story with quirky cast and impressive atmosphere.

Tiger and Bunny: 6/10 Superhero buddy-cop show. The concept doesn’t really grab me but Kotetsu is a breath of fresh air when it comes to male protagonists in anime. We need more like him.

OVA:

Gundam Unicorn 8.5/10 Part 3 Universal Century wholesome goodness. If only the new Gundam announced next week would be a UC project, probably not, but hey, I can dream.

Last edited by Bri; 2011-06-07 at 19:14.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote