Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-08-22, 23:04   Link #401
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Cats.... I can now just think of lolcats, or possibly Kuroneko.

And it's kinda funny, because I don't like her drama. I do like the personal relationships that get developed but at least to me it seems like the comedic moments are better.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 10:34   Link #402
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
True. Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok is the magical boy show that comes easiest to my mind.
And don't forget Negima.

Anyway, with Okada on the wheels (I haven't forgotten BRS TV. I'll never be able to forget BRS TV) It is pretty much guaranteed to bomb. More like Selector Infected WeakSauce.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 10:53   Link #403
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Okadahaters always make me laugh. If most of her works bombed, producers wouldn't give her so much credit.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 12:42   Link #404
Birdway
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Okadahaters always make me laugh. If most of her works bombed, producers wouldn't give her so much credit.
Nagi no Asukara didn't even reach 2000 copies on its first volume after the first week of sales .

Okada is hit or miss. Hit when she works with a good director who can handle her(for example Nagai with Anohana) and miss when she goes all out specially on her original works(NagiAsu).

But I'm not an expert, let's leave that to those who follows Okada's trajectory like Pocari Sweat.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 13:03   Link #405
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Given that Ano Hana was originally her idea, had a light novel version penned by her name and said novel was released during the anime (with the first volume released before the anime aired) and had her listed as the only scriptwriter, I've always been of the opinion that Ano Hana was the work she had the most say in. To what extent NagiAsu would be is harder to say but it's not giving nearly as many signs as Ano Hana.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 13:04   Link #406
HauntingShock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
Nagi no Asukara didn't even reach 2000 copies on its first volume after the first week of sales .

Okada is hit or miss. Hit when she works with a good director who can handle her(for example Nagai with Anohana) and miss when she goes all out specially on her original works(NagiAsu).

But I'm not an expert, let's leave that to those who follows Okada's trajectory like Pocari Sweat.
Afaik there was a boost on the BD sales after the 2nd half of the series started...
HauntingShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 13:10   Link #407
Birdway
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntingShock View Post
Afaik there was a boost on the BD sales after the 2nd half of the series started...
And that was about 5-6 weeks later .
Yeah, it reacched 2,134 aprox. Below 2500 copies, and far away from the manabi line

And you should know that the first volume is the one who gets the most sales and the others gets lower numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Given that Ano Hana was originally her idea, had a light novel version penned by her name and said novel was released during the anime (with the first volume released before the anime aired) and had her listed as the only scriptwriter, I've always been of the opinion that Ano Hana was the work she had the most say in. To what extent NagiAsu would be is harder to say but it's not giving nearly as many signs as Ano Hana.
There were a lot of changes in the anime, it's even on the interviews.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 13:30   Link #408
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Hating NagiAsu don't make it bad show. IMHO it's one of her best and I don't give a damn about haters. And just to remind. NagioAsu was made ads 20th anniversary work of it's production company. It wasn't oriented on disk sales.

Just if Okada's works is not of your taste don't make her a bad scriptwriter. I personally think that AnoHana is her worst work but it sold like hell and has a lot of admires which I never understand. Your personal opinion means nothing than it comes to commercial value.
Old 2014-02-01, 13:33   Link #409
Pablete
Banned

What has to do this hate you talk about? And do you really think a series doesn't has commercial purposes?

I think Okada is hit or miss. It's been told that on Okada's thread

Even if I dislike and mock Nagai's work(Railgun fillers), I will never deny the guy is good at his job, and IMO he did the show with Anohana.
Pablete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 13:45   Link #410
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Guys, weren't we specifically talking about how she's a hit or miss on DVD/BD sales?
Old 2014-02-01, 13:50   Link #411
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
I don't intend in starting a discussion about Okada but if you want, do it here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=112594

I just got back from ban and don't want another again...
Me too. So I just stop it here.
Old 2014-02-01, 20:38   Link #412
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Actually NagiAsu V.1 is up to 3K (with almost unprecedentedly delayed sales) and V. 2 is tracking to go higher in the first week.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 22:19   Link #413
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

NagiAsu was just something that Mari Okada's style would fit in. Same goes for Anohana and Hanasaku Iroha. One known anomaly was Gosick. What happens if we get her to write for an action series?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 22:25   Link #414
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
NagiAsu was just something that Mari Okada's style would fit in. Same goes for Anohana and Hanasaku Iroha. One known anomaly was Gosick. What happens if we get her to write for an action series?
Zetsuen was more or less an action show (well, sort of) and she did pretty well. But you can't really compare originals to adaptations...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 22:42   Link #415
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Canaan.

And I guess Aquarion EVOL, Black Rock Shooter and AKB00048 sorta counts too technically, though my opinion on those three aren't the greatest .

But yes, Okada's forte is in dramas and coming of age stories with a particular style that is very recognisable.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-03, 10:58   Link #416
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Oddly enough, I found that the action elements of Aquarion EVOL and BRS were probably the strongest elements of both of those shows. I'm not sure how much that owes to Okada carefully detailing action scenes and how much that owes to the directors/animators, but if Okada played a significant hand in this, maybe she's actually pretty good at writing action and should do more of it.
Old 2014-02-03, 13:26   Link #417
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Unless you invest your writing heavily into the way combat dynamics work (like Hunter x Hunter) I'm of the opinion that the actual action would be more about direction. On the other hand, I think one major element in making fights compelling is to provide an interesting context surrounding it, such as what it means to the characters, their motives and how they react under that kind of stress: That's probably where Okada's character focused writing comes in handy.

I personally enjoyed the hell out of Canaan, really. People always say it's cliché but I never thought it was cliché (well actually I did think it was cliché in one episode but that's it).
Old 2014-02-03, 16:34   Link #418
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yea, I guess the fight quality would the director's job, unless we're going into deep concept fights like HxH. Canaan certainly didn't need much of that, and the action was to the point I guess. The settings and characters didn't compel me at all though and I mostly remember "sugoi", Canaan that doesn't say much and act cool, taxi man, and those horrifically lolfaces the two major antagonists would make.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 16:49   Link #419
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post

Maybe not exactly what you were looking for but Okada once said this in 2012:

Quote:
I feel that HSI reflects myself more than my other productions.

Quote:
There were a lot of changes in the anime, it's even on the interviews.
If you're talking about a certain ANN article, see this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Oddly enough, I found that the action elements of Aquarion EVOL and BRS were probably the strongest elements of both of those shows. I'm not sure how much that owes to Okada carefully detailing action scenes and how much that owes to the directors/animators, but if Okada played a significant hand in this, maybe she's actually pretty good at writing action and should do more of it.
Too lazy to look for an exact quote but from what I remember Okada said that Imaichi contributed to the BRS script even if he's not credited, I'd speculate that Imaichi handled the action scenes in the "BRS world" (he's credited with storyboarding them so he might have scripted them as well).
Old 2014-02-05, 16:51   Link #420
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Too lazy to look for an exact quote but from what I remember Okada said that Imaichi contributed to the BRS script even if he's not credited, I'd speculate that Imaichi handled the action scenes in the "BRS world" (he's credited with storyboarding them so he might have scripted them as well).
I had no idea Imaichi had handled Storyboard duties for Black Rock Shooter. That explains why they felt so awesome

Tags
okada, writer