AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2017-05-13, 09:03   Link #281
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Finally saw it. I will say that as someone who was worried that the movie would end up on the lower end of KA's track record for theatrical releases... well.. I was blown away.

The Pros:

1. I had already said that given the nature of the subject matter, how they intend to display Shouko's body language and communications in animated form will make or break the movie. That being said, she is quite possibly the most fantastically animated and physically expressive character I've ever seen outside of a Shinkai production. It is abundantly clear that KA went all the way in their research and animation to make sure a character who barely speaks manages to get their points across. From her hand gestures to the way her head and body moves to display emotion, as someone who has had to rely on them almost exclusively to communicate with the people in her life, it's uncanny.

2. It's one thing to voice a character. Another thing to display their proper emotion. A completely different thing to convey said emotion while clearly struggling to vocalize words coherently. Being a character who is deaf and with a resulting speech impediment, she has few lines in the movie, but in those struggled few words she tries to express I hear a sense of emotional clarity few voice actors could even accomplish with more eloquent deliveries. For how few lines she delivers, this is quite possibly Saori Hayami's finest work to date bar none.

3. This is evidently the most visually fantastic work KA has ever done, as if I expected anything less. Likewise I also believed that Shouko was one of the most beautifully drawn characters I've ever seen, but animated in KA's hands? Holy shit she now exists in a realm of beauty that the languages I am capable of speaking have no proper adjectives to describe it. She's really just that mesmerizing, especially so when she smiles.

4. The sound design is fantastic. It would seem the audio is thematically linked to Shouya's inferiority complex and social anxiety and also obviously to Shouko's deafness. The audio goes about it's way as these intrinsic characteristics of the main pair come into focus, and it shows. I watched it in a Dolby surround sound studio and much like other high tier animation productions I cannot see myself watching it in standard stereo.

5. Being a movie, well, they decided to cut out a lot of the more angsty and melodramatic content that you could assume was not really important to the plot while leaving out the central angst and drama that the story needed. This is well and good because it gets really dramatic at the end, and I don't think I could have realistically tolerated such concentrated drama in the last half hour of the movie.

The Cons:

1. Being a movie, along with cutting out the excess drama and angst, they sadly cut out A LOT of the characterization for the side characters. If you are a manga reader it's very easy to connect the dots, but if not, you really lose a lot of what made the supporting cast of friends really interesting and central to the story (especially Ueno and Sahara). They feel too relegated to the sidelines as the movie does need to focus on the main pair, I find it somewhat sad that they didn't get more screen time.

2. Jesus KA we get it the characters are crying. KA really needs to stop having their characters cry volumetric globs of tears.

3. The characters get... uh... pretty violent. Seriously. It's a bit off putting with a good chunk of the characterization getting cut out so there are times where I understand that it'll be hard to stomach.

Personal Verdict:

People generally rate a KA movie as either on the side of Disappearance and Tamako market on one side, and the other movies on the opposite side. Suffice to say that this is on the side of the former and, if I ignore Disappearance since I have never watched it, this is probably KA's best movie to date. If you're willing to disregard the lack of characterization for the side characters, then this is one hell of an animated film. Naoko Yamada has come a long way for the studio, and personally she should just be given directorial control of all their films from now on.

And now I watch to watch the Tamako Market movie again. It's almost unbelievably jarring how different in quality the series and the movie are.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-14, 09:20   Link #282
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So the DVDs/BDs come out in Japan in a few days, without subtitles of course because I don't think KA ever did that with their local releases.

I do hope they release it in the west though. This will be my first KA BD purchase, which would have gone to Hyouka if they ever decided on that.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-14, 11:47   Link #283
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I wouldn't bother for a western release unless you want to wait 1-2 years for it. Just get it now and wait a few days or weeks before the subs start rolling out.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-15, 04:13   Link #284
Tranhieu

The dialogues are pretty simple in a sense so I'm sure sub groups will start working on it pretty soon.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-15, 10:16   Link #285
tsunade666

I haven't read the manga. yet. but I have watched the movie and it's fantastic. I even forgotten to eat my popcorn. No time to waste but just concentrate on the movie. I even made a mistake where I just look at my phone and I miss a scene where Nishima and Yo---protag did something or protag did something that is embarrassing and made Shoko laugh. It's in the bridge scene. darn, I wanted to rewatched the movie but it's already late when I went to watch it.

Story wise, presentation and animation wise. its superb. Sasuga KyoAni. You've done lots of epic fail lately but this movie made me remember why I love this studio. I just want to forgot the k-on and so on series. well most of it. but not all.

feels are there and it felt real. I remember clannad while watching this.

I really. Really. Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally loved the movie.

while I thought that it was superb. its only for the main couple. the supporting cast are throw away. though I can understand a bit for Nao? the long haired black beauty, I think she likes protag and is jealous with Shoko? I don't like Mashiba? I don't like his eyes. his like bad guy. Shimada? the friend turn traitor... felt dead in the inside. that guy might have his own personal problems but this is not about them but its about the main couple. Kaime? or whatever her name felt too much drama queen. she likes water works and push the blame on others and making herself the victim. I don't like her much. I don't know if she's real or not. Sahara? the other supporting girl that runs away.... I don't know much too.

The only solid ones are Yuzuru the imouto, Shouko the super kawaii that cost toothache and... seriously the protag reminds me of someone.... but I can't remember who.... someone guy from other series. that hair just reminded me of someone but I can't remember his name, I can't also remember the protag's complete name.

kudos to the parents. they felt real.

overall, I loved the movie and would gladly watched it again.
Old 2017-05-15, 23:14   Link #286
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranhieu View Post
The dialogues are pretty simple in a sense so I'm sure sub groups will start working on it pretty soon.
I kinda noticed that on the trailers. I was able to understand some of it.

The subs are out, and that was lighting fast. Unfortunately they are not very good.

Last edited by Julio C; 2017-05-17 at 11:20.
Old 2017-05-17, 18:44   Link #287
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

holy lord, i'm 5 minutes in and i'm already getting emotional because of what i know will happen. this is not going to go well.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-17, 22:17   Link #288
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Wow.

I thought it was pretty darn good on the whole.

It has been some time since I read the manga (whether the one-shot or the manga ... I seem to remember liking the one-shot more for some reason), and I think some things were changed, but on the whole I thought it was quite nicely animated and pretth darn thought provoking.

I would probably give it a 8.0 / 8.25 out of 10, I think....
Old 2017-05-18, 09:54   Link #289
eceso

it was an amazing movie

real emotional, loved it

there aren't enough words in the English language to describe how much I loved this movie

as a person who isn't familiar with the manga, I was a little confused with everything Ueno and Sahara, but it wasn't that hard to figure it out with the context clues they gave , but it was obvious that they omitted some stuff so I'd understand if people would kinda be confused by that
eceso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-18, 15:17   Link #290
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Looks like the subs will be out by the end of the month.
Old 2017-05-18, 17:47   Link #291
Twi

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

It deserves the award. It really does. I just finished watching the crappy subs (and reviewing), but it was good despite some of the changes from the manga.
Old 2017-05-19, 06:49   Link #292
Kazu-kun

Well, I didn't really like the manga, and the movie wasn't an improvement except for the visuals. It certainly looked way prettier than the source material.

Between this and Kimi no Na wa, I think the latter is better movie. The premise is pretty simple, but at least it felt more honest. Koe no Katachi becomes way too melodramatic in its second half and to be honest it struck me as an otaku fantasy over all. The scene when the protagonist plays the knight in shiny armor and literally saves the girl's life is probably the biggest offender. Or the unnecessary kinda sorta love triangle. Having both the main girl and the hot chick friend lusting after him just felt like pandering, really. It's not like romance was important to the story anyway.

So yeah, it wasn't really my thing I guess.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2017-05-19 at 07:26.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-20, 00:54   Link #293
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

they actually cut out the part where
Spoiler:

that was the most emotionally powerful part of the manga for me. towards the end of the movie, it was constantly putting me in a "high emotional state" but it never quite crested the hill and caused me to break down. they came close when Shoko was kowtowing at Ishida's mom's feet.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-20, 07:21   Link #294
Peanutbutter

Finally get to watch it. Asthestically, and audio-visually, top-notch production from Kyoani as usual. Characterization of Ishida and especially Shoko, Yuzuru and Ueno were wonderful. The rest...not so much.

A note of mention to Kawai. I didn't get her in the movie. I hope it was something that was not included.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-20, 08:32   Link #295
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Just watched it, really a good movie that I wouldn't mind to buy the ticket again and watch it again right after I finished. No surprises if this movie is strong challenger for Kimi no Na wa.

As the original source (manga) reader, I love how Kyoto Animation solve the problem of limited duration by going "Show, don't tell" with Shouya complaints to each person personality being the final nail to the coffin that explains all they've been showing until that point. Same goes with all other characters; my advice, watch each characters words and act properly because that's the answer to most of your question throughout the movie.

How the stories developed made me wonders if this is the author original concept of Koe no Katachi just like how Death Note original concept is the battle ended with both Light and L died.

That moment about moon struck me hard, truly a gold moment.
Applause to Miyu Irino, Hayami Saori and Aoi Yuuki. Solid performance I didn't see it coming, especially Hayami Saori.
Old 2017-05-20, 19:22   Link #296
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Enjoyed the movie. Maybe the manga is better as they have more time to give the side characters (Kawai) but still the movie had a good direction. The only weird thing I noted is that Shoya and Shoko (was the similarities of their first names written to have a connection or is it pure coincidence?) barely develop a relationship. There was that scene where Shoko tries to tell Shoya something, but Shoya barely tried to understand. Do you recommend the manga?
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-20, 21:18   Link #297
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

I wholeheartedly recommend the manga
Old 2017-05-22, 11:40   Link #298
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Official English subs are out, so no more crappy fansubs.
Old 2017-05-22, 12:02   Link #299
Kilian
6:11

Good movie! Though I felt like a lot stuff was left out. Ishida was only bullied for about 2 minutes than timeskip and suicide attempt... I also didn't really get why Nishimiya suddenly tried to kill herself during the fireworks, did I totally miss hints that she was suicidal? Can someone eleborate?
Kilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-22, 13:18   Link #300
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
Good movie! Though I felt like a lot stuff was left out. Ishida was only bullied for about 2 minutes than timeskip and suicide attempt... I also didn't really get why Nishimiya suddenly tried to kill herself during the fireworks, did I totally miss hints that she was suicidal? Can someone eleborate?
Spoiler for 1:

Spoiler for 2: