AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-08-01, 14:59   Link #81
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm dropping this show as well. This last episode was just silly.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-01, 21:11   Link #82
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

This guy is way too irritating.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-02, 00:25   Link #83
Eater of All
NOM

DAMN it's like folks are expecting a zombie hard scifi or award-winning character writing literature here. My expectations were set the moment I saw the colorful blood and clear stylistic choices. Character designs are cute, art is good, certainly a breath of fresh air away from the generic isekai or school romcom/drama. The messaging is pretty in-your-face but I'm still enjoying this setting as the delivery vehicle.
Old 2023-08-02, 14:13   Link #84
Chosen_Hero

^Doesn't need to have award winning writing to do the bare minimum to explain the zombie outbreak, neither does it need it to make the MC's consistent or likable, not explaining basic premise details will make the entire work look disorganized or poorly thoughtout. You need to have rules in place in a zombie apocalypse setting so that people can properly understand the threat, all we have so far is that some walk, some run yet that one rule is broken any time the plot need there to be a horde chasing the MC because all of a sudden all of them run.

The anime can look as good as it wants to that doesn't translate to good writing, you can make the visually perfect movie or tv show, but if the writing is bad then people will notice.

As for the messaging, not everyone will connect with the main character because not everyone has the exact same type of work experience and exploitation (mainly because it's mainly a Japanese problem and because most people would have moved on to a better job before it got to the point the MC was at), this is clearly targeted at a very specific type of individual and that's without point out that the messaging is a bit jarring considering that "live your life to the fullest" doesn't work in a zombie apocalypse setting where you will be too busy focusing on surviving.
Old 2023-08-02, 15:20   Link #85
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

We are missing one more TrySail member to join the ranks of the zombies lol.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-02, 21:54   Link #86
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I'm not surprised people are abandoning this series. I felt from the jump that it might lack substance to keep my interests, but I didn't expect its lack of coherence to be a factor.

My thoughts of the episode are mixed. I did like the more serious parts with Akira and Yukari(?). The show actually felt like it moved forward, just a tiny bit, the concept of living your childhood dream being an interesting theme.

However, its brand of comedy is not working for me. Every time the mains were acting like clowns, I was rolling my eyes. I suppose this means that this "living freely and enjoying life" concept after the practical end of the world is too perpendicular for me to fully enjoy. The way they handled Yukari's death was extremely poor. Akira needed a serious moment of reflection, however, Kengo interrupts this with a silly moment and they immediately ride off into the sunset, spoils in tow.

There are other components that bother me, but Chosen_Hero already touched on most of them(quoting on phone is a pain). I'm also going to continue(or try and continue) watching until the full cast assembles as well. Show might actually get some kind of direction by that point. Even the 1st season of TWD, albeit a more serious depiction of zombie apocalypse, had them meandering in the first couple of eps with no clear destination, so hoping this is the same and it starts to come around a bit once they overcome that hurdle.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-03, 02:10   Link #87
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
~ snipped ~

As for the messaging, not everyone will connect with the main character because not everyone has the exact same type of work experience and exploitation (mainly because it's mainly a Japanese problem and because most people would have moved on to a better job before it got to the point the MC was at), this is clearly targeted at a very specific type of individual and that's without point out that the messaging is a bit jarring considering that "live your life to the fullest" doesn't work in a zombie apocalypse setting where you will be too busy focusing on surviving.
I agree with this. There are many shows / literature that presents this message in a way that sinks in deeply into the viewer and usually they struck a strong emo chord that it leaves me thinking about it for days or even much longer after it ends. But can't see it happening with this, especially with the cut from emo to comedy, unless things change. Though I'd still be watching the show for now; just giving me enough curiosity to want to see what happens next.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-03, 02:19   Link #88
Eater of All
NOM

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ust-13/.200910

RIP, looks like the production issues are pretty real. Wonder if it will even be able to finish the cour the season....

Quote:
^Doesn't need to have award winning writing to do the bare minimum to explain the zombie outbreak, neither does it need it to make the MC's consistent or likable, not explaining basic premise details will make the entire work look disorganized or poorly thoughtout. You need to have rules in place in a zombie apocalypse setting so that people can properly understand the threat, all we have so far is that some walk, some run yet that one rule is broken any time the plot need there to be a horde chasing the MC because all of a sudden all of them run.
Does it? I haven't taken the threat seriously at all, Maybe the show isn't really _trying_ to do much worldbuilding or dive into the mechanics, because it's _just a plot device_. Obviously I can be wrong (not a source reader), but I daresay if the mechanics and self-consistency of zombie behavior is a big factor in your enjoyment, you will probably not enjoy it much even if you watch further. It may not expand on it much, or if it does, it will kind of just pull rules out of its ass. And that's ok for me, because I have no expectations on that front. Which is why to me most of these complaints sound like complaining that a cleaver is bad at peeling fruit. I mean, yeah _sure_, but...

And to be clear, I'm not saying anyone is watching it "wrong" or that I'm watching it "right". Some people just enjoy watching paint dry. In this instance, just want to provide a perspective on why the lack of worldbuilding in the paint drying process can still be acceptable.

Quote:
Well it connects with _me_ a bit. I don't have to connect all the way to the level of being Japanese and working 25 hour days, but I imagine it's common for people (even though I can only speak for myself) to question what they're working so hard for, what they wanted to do in the past versus what they're doing now, etc. There are other anime that celebrate living in the moment, some in comedic settings, some with more solemn, you-have-terminal-illness settings. I consider this basically the former. The first thing this show reminded me to do is to consider what I'd do differently if this were the last month of my life, or the last year; or if a world war 3 were to break out within a year (which honestly doesn't seem that far-fetched nowadays...).

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I agree with this. There are many shows / literature that presents this message in a way that sinks in deeply into the viewer and usually they struck a strong emo chord that it leaves me thinking about it for days or even much longer after it ends. But can't see it happening with this, especially with the cut from emo to comedy, unless things change. Though I'd still be watching the show for now; just giving me enough curiosity to want to see what happens next.
Yep, though recalling back to some of those more poignant shows I've watched in the past, I think the effect changes with the approach and story. Those tend to make me question my life choices on a longer scale, or my approach/attitude towards the relationships I currently have. The takeaway I get from the more flippant presentation in this show is, e.g. to give less of a shit about what people think, about implicit rules imposed by tradition or society. The impact doesn't penetrate as deep but in some ways it can be more immediate.

Last edited by Eater of All; 2023-08-03 at 03:08.
Eater of All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-03, 08:29   Link #89
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ust-13/.200910

RIP, looks like the production issues are pretty real. Wonder if it will even be able to finish the cour the season....
I've always wondered what factors cause certain animation teams suffer production issues (like this one and Nier) while others don't have this problem (ex. SSSS Dynazenon). How do the teams ensure they keep on time while maintaining quality?

Also, the Liveaction movie is now out on Netflix. I'd like to see what this forum thinks of it compared to the anime/manga.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-04, 09:01   Link #90
Tenzen12

Quote:

I disagree with that. Life is more then just survival and it doesn't matter if there is apocalypse going on. Life is and always be what you make of it and blaming it on unfortunate circumstances is just easy way avoid personal responsibility.
Old 2023-08-04, 18:15   Link #91
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Also, the Liveaction movie is now out on Netflix. I'd like to see what this forum thinks of it compared to the anime/manga.
I watched it today and I thought it was a pretty big improvement over the anime. All the changes they made were for the better.

I speedread the manga up until the point where the movie ends and the movie is definitely superior. The part where I thought it jumped the shark (wink, wink) also happened in the manga, so I can't blame them for it. They did the best with what they had available. Can't say too much without going into spoilers, but characters were better written.
Old 2023-08-06, 01:50   Link #92
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
I've always wondered what factors cause certain animation teams suffer production issues (like this one and Nier) while others don't have this problem (ex. SSSS Dynazenon). How do the teams ensure they keep on time while maintaining quality?
Sakugablog called this one a few weeks ago; the second half of the post goes quite a bit into the personalities (mainly the producer) and histories involved. From the glimpses I sometimes see in the blog or from other discussions, every situation is in their own way, and problems can start as far back as years prior to airing since that's how long preproduction can get.
Old 2023-08-06, 11:56   Link #93
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I'm not sure if it is ironic an anime about black company jokes missed out on its deadline
Looks like the animators didn't work as hard as the protagonist, huh?!

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-06, 15:04   Link #94
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I'm not sure if it is ironic an anime about black company jokes missed out on its deadline
Looks like the animators didn't work as hard as the protagonist, huh?!
The thought crossed my mind when I hear about the delay too. Is darkly hilarious in a way.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-06, 21:11   Link #95
larethian

Feature live action film was definitely palatable to some extent, except for the last antagonist zombie. Everything seems condensed but not in a rushed fashion, so I feel things are going to get more expanded in the anime.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-07, 06:35   Link #96
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Now with all those angles, it really feels like a seinen manga. Nudity from everybody, scenes that might make feminists look their mind, etc. Also, for the first time I find the MC a bit more realistic due to his emotional outburst. But did he cry because of the girl going zombie or because of his lack of true dream?
Old 2023-08-07, 07:21   Link #97
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Sakugablog called this one a few weeks ago; the second half of the post goes quite a bit into the personalities (mainly the producer) and histories involved. From the glimpses I sometimes see in the blog or from other discussions, every situation is in their own way, and problems can start as far back as years prior to airing since that's how long preproduction can get.
So from what I'm reading, the issue is that the director has grand ambitious visions for his works, but lacks the skilled manpower and resources to pull it off on schedule - leading to either future compromises in quality or delays in getting the product to air.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-11, 07:56   Link #98
tacotacotanjiro

Oh, I've definitely got Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead on my watchlist too! The premise sounds so unique and engaging. It's cool how Netflix keeps bringing us these fresh and interesting shows. Just recently, I started watching it, and I'm already hooked. The blend of zombies and a bucket list concept is intriguing, to say the least.
Speaking of exploring new things, have you ever checked out Prince Harry net worth journey? It's quite fascinating to see how diverse paths can lead to success. So here's to enjoying awesome shows, discovering inspiration, and embracing the unexpected twists that life throws our way.

Last edited by tacotacotanjiro; 2023-08-14 at 09:04.
tacotacotanjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-12, 23:39   Link #99
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
So from what I'm reading, the issue is that the director has grand ambitious visions for his works, but lacks the skilled manpower and resources to pull it off on schedule - leading to either future compromises in quality or delays in getting the product to air.
Unfortunate, but hardly surprising.
Old 2023-08-13, 13:00   Link #100
Frontier

I'm surprised that childhood hero flashback went as well as it did. Instead of getting pounded on, Akira actually won and warded off bullies! No wonder he thinks he can still pull off being a Superhero at his age in the middle of a zombie apocalypse .

We finally check in a little on how the rest of the world is doing...the JSDF is sequestering zombies in Hokkaido while the rural areas are safter, meaning maybe Akira's parents in Gunma are actually safe .

(Can they get away with name-dropping Spider-Man ?)

I didn't expect Akira would come up with his supersuit from an Aquarium, but having reinforced chainmail is actually pretty handy to have in this situation .

Dang, another instance where one guy who is infected ends up completely screwing over the group. Though they were basically trapped between a rock and a hard place .

Akira's superhero debut goes surprisingly well! Even reintroduces him to Miss Risk Analysis! He just didn't expect to still feel all the zombie bites or Kencho straight up abandoning him .

Man, Miss Risk Analysis cutting Akira and Kencho down to size with psychology and logic !

Okay, so there's jumping the shark...and then there's a zombified shark being carried by the legs of the zombified divers it ate. Feels just about right for this show at this point .

I thought that one girl was just for fun terrified reaction faces, but she almost got Shizuka killed !

Logic and sense is valuable and necessary, but sometimes you just have to go with your instinct and your gut, especially if it means saving someone else. And that's enough to get Shizuka to put her brain towards a risky plan that by all logic shouldn't work but does because anime .

Kencho flashing his naked butt at a zombie shark...well, that's about all I could expect him to do. But it perfectly set up Akira's finisher !

Akira and Shizuka work well together, but I'm not surprised she doesn't want to get stuck with these two idiots...but Akira was able to fluster her, which is a win in and of itself. And they exchanged contact info! I suspect Shizuka will be seeing them again sooner than she thinks .