AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-06-03, 18:37   Link #281
Freeter
beyond

I loathe the 360 pad, and this looks exactly like it but worse. The original Pro is going to be backwards compatible with this system, right?
Old 2012-06-03, 18:53   Link #282
Shadow5YA

Eh... I think I'll stick with the screen pad. It still seems to have the same number of buttons and sticks compared to the Pro controller, so it's not as big of a differences as the Wii remote vs the Classic controller.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 18:59   Link #283
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'm not trolling. I want a Wii U. Probably will get one this year, too.
Old 2012-06-03, 21:04   Link #284
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
I got used to the N64 controller, this one doesn't seem like an issue at all tbh.
But yeah, it went as expected, thankfully. They announced some of the hardware and online things, so the actual conference will have more meat on it, it seems like they took all the "iffy" things, and got them out of the way first, so the conference would not be tarnished by them. I mean honestly, if they showed that silly video at the conference, it would look kinda bad, what with the over dramatic acting and what not, so perhaps they didn't want the conference to be remembered for that.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 21:55   Link #285
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

So now it's confirmed that Wii U would only support one touchscreen controller + Pro controllers. This is going to be a gamble either way. Guess they are counting on multi-player being online rather than people in the same room. Or maybe people can link up 2 Wii-Us together?
Old 2012-06-04, 00:11   Link #286
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
So now it's confirmed that Wii U would only support one touchscreen controller + Pro controllers. This is going to be a gamble either way. Guess they are counting on multi-player being online rather than people in the same room. Or maybe people can link up 2 Wii-Us together?
Where did you find this?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 00:29   Link #287
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Where did you find this?
The existence of Pro controllers means they gave up trying to fit a second Wii U controller.
Old 2012-06-04, 00:42   Link #288
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

The hipster nerd consulting grandpa for gaming tips was just painful. I guess showing some typical "bro" gamers would have been just as bad; I just hope their Tuesday conference doesn't have any of that silliness.

The Wii U Gamepad looks even more massive in the presentation. I wonder how much it weighs and what the battery life will be like. The batteries better be replaceable, otherwise can you imagine having to buy a new Gamepad when the batteries give out like a Dual Shock 3?
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 03:24   Link #289
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
The Wii U Gamepad looks even more massive in the presentation. I wonder how much it weighs and what the battery life will be like. The batteries better be replaceable, otherwise can you imagine having to buy a new Gamepad when the batteries give out like a Dual Shock 3?
Until now all Nintendo devices were designed in a way that certain components can be easily accessed, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.
And the DS3, or sixaxis, was a hack-job or late replacement for the original controller, don't think they place too much though on the design, as they just gave in to press and fanboy outcrys/pressure.

Think I said it before, you would have thought that the Wii U concept would have come form the likes such as panasonic, toshiba or sony, but coming form a game company, makes you think that something is wrong with with the japanese giants, concerning bring something new to the living room and boosting the TV market.

BTW the Classic controller (Pro) doesn't have clicky sticks and the non pro version had analog triggers and the pro version doesn't. So the Wii U Pro Controller is much closer to the screen pad, concerning button count and layout.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 13:59   Link #290
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
The existence of Pro controllers means they gave up trying to fit a second Wii U controller.
In other words, you're speculating and this wasn't confirmed at all.
Old 2012-06-04, 15:25   Link #291
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
The hipster nerd consulting grandpa for gaming tips was just painful. I guess showing some typical "bro" gamers would have been just as bad; I just hope their Tuesday conference doesn't have any of that silliness.
Actually, they probably 'got that out of the way' and won't have a video like that at the E3 conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Yeah, that is just speculation.
Old 2012-06-04, 22:02   Link #292
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

A few years after PS4 and XBox 720 have been out, there will be some amazing looking games. But a lot of Wii U games will look like the best looking XBox 360 and PS3 games. It'll be good enough for me. People said that about the Wii vs. XBox 360 and PS3 back in 2006, but this is different. Wii U graphics will hold up better after a few years compared to Wii, after it was on the market for a few years, and Wii U having HD resolutions makes a huge difference. I mean, Wii and GameCube games in HD on Dolphin actually look very good for being Wii and GameCube games.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:32   Link #293
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I mean, Wii and GameCube games in HD on Dolphin actually look very good for being Wii and GameCube games.
That is true but it's something quite unique to the Nintendo consoles due to the design decisions made by the game makers. Most of the trully remarkable Gamecube and Wii games tend to adopt unique looks, many of them cartoon-like, that depend more on a conjunction of brightly single-coloured simple solids than highly complex and realistic shapes with highly detailed textures and those kinds of designs scale very well. This goes back all the way to the N64 where storage was at a premium and Nintendo was forced to adopt this kind of design path and it's also the reason why Super Mario 64 still looks rather good today unlike many Playstation titles from the era.
Old 2012-06-06, 06:58   Link #294
Sides

Confirmed worldwide launch window games
Quote:
2K Sports
NBA 2K13 Holiday

D3Publisher
Ben 10: Omniverse™ Holiday
Family Party: 30 Great Games (working title) Holiday
Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game Holiday

Electronic Arts
Mass Effect™3 Holiday

Maximum Games
Jett Tailfin™ Holiday

NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.
TANK! TANK! TANK!™ Holiday
TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT™2 (working title) Holiday

Nintendo
LEGO®City: Undercover Holiday
New Super Mario Bros.™U Holiday
NINJA GAIDEN™3: Razor’s Edge Holiday
Nintendo Land™ Holiday
SiNG (working title) Holiday
Wii U™Panorama View (working title) Holiday
Game & Wario (working title) Launch Window
Pikmin™3 Launch Window
Project P-100 (working title) Launch Window
Wii Fit™U Launch Window

SEGA
Aliens: Colonial Marines™ TBA
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed™ Holiday

THQ
Darksiders®II Holiday

Ubisoft
Assassin’s Creed®III Holiday
Just Dance®4 Holiday
Marvel Avengers™: Battle for Earth Holiday
Rabbids®Land Holiday
Sports Connection™ Holiday
Your Shape®: Fitness Evolved 2013 Holiday
ZombiU™ Holiday
Rayman Legends® TBA

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Scribblenauts™Unlimited Holiday
Batman: Arkham City™Armored Edition Holiday
There is some rumours going around that nitendo will show more games developed by and for the japanese market soonish, but don't expect those to be released outside japan.

Other random stuff:
Wii U support 2 gamepads (could be probably more), but bandwidth is shared.
Spec wise nothing new, but SD and USB storage confirmed again, Wifi supports 802.11b/g/n specs and Wii LAN adapter is also supported!. It will have hdmi and a multi AV connector, but no S/PDIF terminal.
Old 2012-06-06, 07:01   Link #295
Zakoo

It will be zoned like the wii or unzoned like the PS3 ?
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 07:05   Link #296
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Well, I am technically wrong. WiiU now can have two controllers, but it would only be at 30 FPS (compare to 60 FPS with one controller). This is good and bad. For all intent and purposes I think it was the right choice, though time will tell if game companies would even bother to make games that need two U controllers; the market would definitely be smaller. I mean, it would cost serious money to buy another U.

30 FPS is not a big deal. Most blockbuster games today are at 30 FPS. Only high end PC games use 60 FPS regularly.

There was also a complaint about the 4-5 hour battery life. Frankly, I don't see the issue. WiiU isn't a portable, it's just a controller. If I buy one I would hook it up to a cable like a Sega Gamegear. The only question is if the cable is long enough.

EDIT: Having Mass Effect 3 as a launch title is... interesting. I guess the amusing thing is, if you never played 1 or 2, you wouldn't care about how crappy the ending is.
Old 2012-06-06, 07:25   Link #297
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Considering their strategy with the 3DS and the Wii, I think they're going to make it region locked.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 07:29   Link #298
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Nobody knows..., I assume you are talking about region locked or not

Quote:
EDIT: Having Mass Effect 3 as a launch title is... interesting. I guess the amusing thing is, if you never played 1 or 2, you wouldn't care about how crappy the ending is.
Guess EA chose ME3 because it is a well rounded product, having a decent solo mode and a fun online mode. The online part is probably the key part why they used ME3 instead of another EA game.
But yeah, apart from Ubisoft the remaining western publishers/devs are back to their "you have to use the unique controller" thing and "we are scared to learning how to deal with new and unfamiliar hardware, but I have a degree in Computer Science".
Old 2012-06-06, 07:55   Link #299
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
Considering their strategy with the 3DS and the Wii, I think they're going to make it region locked.
Yep. They invented region locking, they will never give it up.
Old 2012-06-06, 13:45   Link #300
Sides

Reckon some people care some don't, the gamepad screen is not multitouch, according to the SR director corporate communication at Nintendo of America, seriously I really think they are making up titles for long term employees.

Tags
nintendo